• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• I think you are right.

Votes: 156 26.8%
  • I think you are wrong.

Votes: 224 38.5%
  • Now that I'm reading and analyzing it, I think this is the worst thread I have ever made (and I have

Votes: 202 34.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, and for people like me in my 30's, it was just a conversation that was beaten to death in the N64-GCN era.

Your age analysis reminds me of:

628cc4a596ee8612154364cd268328e8.jpg
I know that. I'm 36. It also applied here in my country.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Their audience is basically kids and adults who had contact with their franchises as children... So yes, in a sense it is.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I returned to Nintendo a lot sooner than 30, but...yeah, this is kind of how it went for me. Defected to Sega when I was 12 or 13, then came back to Nintendo during Gamecube era (yes, I'm old).

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've kept an eye on the Switch and its library, and I have very little interest in those games. It doesn't help that the two Nintendo franchises I'm most interested in (Metroid and Punch-Out) don't get much love. Instead, it's another Mario platformer using the same art style as the last several, or Mario Kart 15 and Mario Party 23. Nintendo games are a brand of comfort food I'm not all that captivated by.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying Nintendo is "kiddie", because they quite obviously make games for younger audiences. Nothing wrong with enjoying those games, of course.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo does an amazing job at creating games for all ages enjoy. The core game-play being straight forward enough for a kid to play, but then also including content and challenges geared toward their adult audience.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I've kept an eye on the Switch and its library, and I have very little interest in those games. It doesn't help that the two Nintendo franchises I'm most interested in (Metroid and Punch-Out) don't get much love. Instead, it's another Mario platformer using the same art style as the last several, or Mario Kart 15 and Mario Party 23. Nintendo games are a brand of comfort food I'm not all that captivated by.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying Nintendo is "kiddie", because they quite obviously make games for younger audiences.
There are less Mario Kart games or main Mario games than say, Call of Duty or Assassins Creed. Mario Kart only has 1 game per system for example.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's something akin to Pixar: they are for children, but adults who grew up with them, or appreciate the technical aspects about them, can also enjoy them in a different level. It's not exclusive to Nintendo, of course, but it's usually compared because a good part of their franchises have those cute mascots that invoke this feeling.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Their games are universal. People in their teens tend to veer away from Nintendo games because that's just the sort of age that is, as you pointed out in your OP, but I don't think their games are for kids.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a thread from 2001? Seems like such a dated conversation....
I feel this decently often about many Era threads but I think it applies particularly well here.

People aggressively growing out of "childish" things only to later find new joy in their simplicity and saccharine happiness later on in life when they have more experience is a tale as old as time, this isn't even a Nintendo thing.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is generally family oriented, so they focus on experiences that both kids and adults can enjoy. Personally I don't play many Nintendo games since they don't really focus on the type of games I usually play, but they have a strong first party output that a broad range of people enjoy.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can agree. I started off playing Nintendo games and by the time I was in middle school I was amazed at gore in games etc. I thought they were kiddie games for awhile and then I stopped giving a shit once I got older.

Mar 29, 2018
I think you're pretty much right, maybe generalizing a little bit. Nintendo definitely makes more family-friendly content than Sony or Microsoft. I think a lot of that is historically how companies tried to differentiate themselves from Nintendo's total market domination of family-friendly games.
The problem is that "family friendly" != "for kids"

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I very rarely hear this anymore and if I did it is from someone who hasn't owned a Nintedo.device for a long time, and are frankly a bit out of touch

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Its called 'Family Friendly', a term also thrown around quite a bit in the Boardgame and Film industry.
In other words they target their games towards kids and the parents of those kids, with the idea being the whole family can either play together at the same time, or at least play the same game and share/discuss the experience.

The whole "PS4/XBOX gamers are teenagers" is probably a bit too much of a hot take though. There are many reasons for this. For me personally its because I didn't grow up on Nintendo, so I have no nostalgia for it. I grew up on ZX Spectrum and PC games. I don't have nostalgia for Mario and Zelda. I have nostalgia for Doom, Turrican and Chase HQ.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I've loved Nintendo games since I was a child, so I believe it's true. But it's not a bad thing imo. Like Marvel movies are popular among kids, but many adults enjoy them as well.

Last edited:

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
2. is just describing immaturity.
Mature emotional and mental growth is understanding that assigning an age to something like this is nonsensical.

The age at which people conclude this is wholly unrelated to the age of "30."

The premise of your thread is mostly nonsense.

That said, I think Nintendo may earn some of this perception of being "for kids" because they're one of the few companies that actually tries to make their games "kid friendly", where they actually consider the challenges a child could encounter. That's not making it "for kids"; it's considering your whole audience.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo games are just for kids or even more geared for kids. It comes down to taste. Some of my kids like Nintendo games. Some do not. My oldest mainly plays FPSes and doesn't fool with Nintendo. My other son think Breath of the Wild is the best thing since sliced bread.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox and PlayStation's libraries are outright anemic when it comes to games for kids young than teenagers. Especially Xbox.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Disney have a similar business model.

Nintendo games are often the most accessible. That accessibility, combined with nostalgia, means that adults are happy to spend money back into the Nintendo ecosystem, either for themselves or when they've got kids of their own.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There are less Mario Kart games or main Mario games than say, Call of Duty or Assassins Creed. Mario Kart only has 1 game per system for example.
True, but Mario has been in play for a lot longer than the CoD and AC IPs, so I feel like I got my fill of him a long time ago. Nintendo isn't nearly as much about new IPs as they are their bread and butter. It's not that I dislike Mario, I just feel like I've been there already. That's why I can't see myself making a big return to Nintendo once I hit my 30's.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a marketing strategy created by Sega's Tom Kalinske and later followed by Sony and MS in order to ostracize Nintendo and cannibalize their market. Anyone not ignorant, fanboyish or agenda-driven knows about it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I definitely think there are some teens who are "too cool" for Nintendo but then grow up and realize they were wrong.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Is Bayonetta a family-friendly game for children?

Is Deadly Premonition 2 a family friendly game for children?

Are the No More Heroes games family friendly games for children?

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Nintendo was kiddie. Wii u turned that around. It appealed to adults and had shown old school gamers why gaming was fun i.e. Mario Kart 8, massive retro library... Now with Switch, there's games I never thought I'd see on console like Dead or School. Nintendo has come full circle and is making games for everyone.

But if I ever have a kid, they will prob start with Nintendo over PlayStation or Xbox. Simply because of the online chat. There are some crazy ass ppl out there.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I have been playing nintendo games for over 30 years and never felt the need to stop because they seemed "kiddie"

Ditto.

I can see the argument for the "mature" experiences offered by other companies mostly catering to the tastes of teens, rather than adults, but we currently live in a society where popular culture is dominated by superhero franchises and where violent/fan-servicey genre shows like Game of Thrones have ruled the TV discourse, so I don't see why demand for [im]mature video games should be any different. Arrested development makes the world go round.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I want tiddies and violence in my games, fuck this shit.

Now if you excuse me I have to water the flowers in my AC town.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo exclusive on more than one occasion has said they target kids so I'm sticking with that. In this case, adults benefit disproportionately.

Status
Not open for further replies.