• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If you're worried sales wise, then don't because unless you're a shareholder. You shouldn't give a fuck about the reputation of a console on hardcore niche gaming sites unless you're financially invested in the console.

Your only worry should be if you're playing the games you want on it and if they're good.

I'm worried on the late gen Wii effect.

Huge droughts may push consumers out (especially if you this when Sony and Microsoft will have their brand new consoles out), and this has a big negative impact on overall sales for every game, but i'm specifically worried for those japanese third parties who are investing now their money on making original Switch titles, and if they release their games after years of droughts you'll see these games bombing big time. (remember SEGA at the end of Wii's lifecycle with Mad World, The House of the Dead, and the Conduit?)

I'm not saying this is totally happening now but if you start to have more months like February of almost nothing coming out because "we already achieved our goal" then it is going to be the Wii all over again.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I've said it once and I will say it again. I'm so happy, that during these "droughts" as people recall it, im catching up with games that's ive never played before "being an Nintendo only console buyer"

Skyrim - first time
Diablo- first time
Dark souls - first time
Doom- first time
Stardew valley - first time
Crash
Wolfstein 2 - first time
Minecraft , fortnite , warframe
And that's not including the Nintendo games I'm playing in between and the games getting released this year
I can't keep up. I really am having the most amazing gaming experience of all time.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried on the late gen Wii effect.

Huge droughts may push consumers out (especially if you this when Sony and Microsoft will have their brand new consoles out), and this has a big negative impact on overall sales for every game, but i'm specifically worried for those japanese third parties who are investing now their money on making original Switch titles, and if they release their games after years of droughts you'll see these games bombing big time. (remember SEGA at the end of Wii's lifecycle with Mad World, The House of the Dead, and the Conduit?)

I'm not saying this is totally happening now but if you start to have more months like February of almost nothing coming out because "we already achieved our goal" then it is going to be the Wii all over again.

Once again you're worrying too much. It's not your job. Just worry about the amount of games you want to play and the quality of them.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Since Dec 7th until March 28th a ton of quality content is releasing. There's Monster Boy, Katamari Damacy, Travis Strikes Again, Wargroove, Gris, Desert Child, Onimusha, Caligula Overdose, Dragon Marked for Death, AWAY, Blazblue Central Fiction, the Liar Princess, Fate Extella Link, Trials Rising, Princess Guide, Atelier Nelke and many more that I didn't think of or that haven't been dated yet. There's a ton of games to play this Q1, both retail or not, both indie or not.
Games with not so much appeal. It's great for who loves indie, but it's not that good.

Onimusha, Dragon Marked, Travis, Monster Boy e Wargroove are very good titles. But only them

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Nah, that's something I could begrudgingly accept for games in the first year or even second, where they may have legitimately not planned a switch version early enough in development to get them out day and date, because the Wii u bombed so hard.

Companies have absolutely no business pulling that nonsense routinely now to treat switch owners as an afterthought. Could you imagine how the industry treating Sony releases the same way, getting games many months late because they might buy it twice would be taken by players?

If they don't want to release day and date, the games can bomb for all I care. People wanted dark souls 1 for switch and when that couldn't make it, the game failed to meet expectations everywhere.

It's not like you'll necessarily miss out on a great game, most anime license games, also from Bandai, are more often than not pretty close to shovelware material. I agree that they should have improved their development pipeline to include another SKU, but not every developer Bandai contracts is at the same stage right now. Most developers simply made no preparation for Switch development, before it was a proven success 6-12months into Switchs life. It's not an excuse, but merely an explanation of the current situation. Looking at the Japanese market, it's mostly to their own detriment, as Switch is selling better than Wii launch aligned, and with no PlayStation family ecosystem around, PS4 is pretty much on its own and already in its declining path, selling at PSV levels pre total collapse.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games with not so much appeal. It's great for who loves indie, but it's not that good.

Onimusha, Dragon Marked, Travis, Monster Boy e Wargroove are very good titles. But only them

Majority of them are not indies and all of them are quality titles. You may not be interested in them but those you listed are certainly not the only good titles.

My only point was that there's certainly not a drought of quality games right now.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Continued pattern of system warring
Serious question: do people in Sony First Party threads also go "ugh now that Detroit is out there's nothing to play until Spider-Man" or something along those lines?

There are more Sonyfans in Nintendo related threads, than Nintendofans in Sony related threads...

This is just dishonest.

No surprise. Extremely pessimistic about everything related to Nintendo, but also very defensive when it comes to Sony.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have no idea how anyone finds the time to play more than one video game a month

I'm lucky to manage that much

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait when you guys think StarFox GP, you think about just racing? Come on, underselling it a bit aren't we. I mean a Retro developed, StarFox arcade racer with story elements, a hub world to interact with characters and enter races, and play like some frankenstein of F-Zero and Diddy Kong is about the hypest random adlib game description to ever exist, and it's actually a game that might be coming out this year. I have no doubt its gonna be worth the wait. As for the roster, I feel they might use it a platform to relaunch F-Zero. Have a half Starfox, Half F-Zero cast, and then in a couple of years they release F-Zero Next with the same cast and more, marketing it as a branched off game from Stsrfox GP.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Once again you're worrying too much. It's not your job. Just worry about the amount of games you want to play and the quality of them.

It's a legit concern for us consumers too, how can you not get it? because if you finished all your Switch games, on February you either buy something you missed before or you don't touch your Switch.

For me personally it's a big deal because i always buy only one console, i guess if you have all of them you don't really notice it, i want new contents every month to choose, much like Netflix adds regularly new contents every month, on PS4 you have new contents every month, Nintendo should do better on this front.

Now i don't have this issue because of my backlog, but if this is going to be a thing, then definitely it's a big problem going forward.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Do you all only play games in the month they release and throw them in the trash on the 1st of the following month or what

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Majority of them are not indies and all of them are quality titles. You may not be interested in them but those you listed are certainly not the only good titles.

My only point was that there's certainly not a drought of quality games right now.
Maybe they are good titles, but Switch could get something much better. It's a shame that this console is still a "second/third choice" for developers. Just look ad Dragon Ball Project Z. Namco has released FighterZ and Xenoverse building up a solid community (with great sales), and still we won't get the game for now. I hope Nintendo will release a lot of first party for the console.

Serious question: do people in Sony First Party threads also go "ugh now that Detroit is out there's nothing to play until Spider-Man" or something along those lines?
I don't think, they get all the games

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many games do some you play per year? I'm happy playing Skyrim and Monster Boy until Yoshi's Crafted World comes out.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
There's a drought of big AAA or AA titles with mass appeal. Games like BotW, Odyssey, Xenoblade etc. Games with a nice long single player experience.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have no idea how anyone finds the time to play more than one video game a month

I'm lucky to manage that much
That's how feel. I just got Resident Evil 2 and about to get KH3. That's gonna last me until June at least with how slow i beat games.

Took me 7 months to beat Xenoblade and then Octopath/VC4 kept me busy until smash.

I've skipped a ton of switch games since there's too many and not enough time in my life.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you all only play games in the month they release and throw them in the trash on the 1st of the following month or what
I really enjoyed the story of YS VIII, but sadly I'll never know how it ended, since I couldn't finish it before August July 1st. I hate games that release late in the month. Super Mario Odyssey was fun while it lasted, but having only 4 days to play it is an awful thing Nintendo did to us.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
look at these guys. that's a full Space Animals team ready to go
aVqiXWD.jpg

looking forward to the intense rivalry between Nomad and Octoman
There better be another Dillon game on Switch. It needs another opportunity and Switch momentum is great for it. These characters are so well designed.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished 9 games last year!

15 the year before. But maybe you play shorter games? Mine take on average 40 hours to complete.

QUM5fXC.jpg

I had the numbers slightly wrong. Shooters are probably good for 7ish of that 53. Things like 2018 happen when your single for the entire year lol

Edit: So far have beaten 47 switch games lol

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Otherwise you can't dismiss the games that sold and are still selling the system. Not having something to play is at worst a personal problem, as there are ongoing constant new releases and people in general like to play their games for a long period of time, unless the only thing holding the game together is story and graphics. Games like Mario Kart, Smash and Fortnite will be played throughout the whole generation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember Ehoavash said we probably will get a Nintendo unannounced IP for February.

Like 3 if I'm lucky lol
But digital sharing on Switch is really helping me play more stuff this time so I will probably play a lot more games this year.
Lol. I'm usually around 8-10 games a year. Since I play more indies now they're usually shorter.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
There are more Sonyfans in Nintendo related threads, than Nintendofans in Sony related threads...

No surprise. Extremely pessimistic about everything related to Nintendo, but also very defensive when it comes to Sony.

A quick look through their posts in the past week show they literally only posted in sales and Nintendo-related threads, lol. Your post is tragic.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Now I just learned of myanimelist from you. Don't have much in that bucket though but I love archiving.
I wouldn't want to advertise them, stopped using them after this debacle
https://www.resetera.com/threads/myanimelist-rewrites-a-user's-article-about-nazis-issues-a-terrible-response-to-the-controversy.17543/

It's just that they are convenient shorthand for what I meant.
Ehoavash has distinct tastes from what I remember, so it's really hard for me to get an idea of whether or not it could be something "exciting" for the ERA audience or something people wouldn't give a shit about (think Sushi Striker).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want to advertise them, stopped using them after this debacle
https://www.resetera.com/threads/myanimelist-rewrites-a-user's-article-about-nazis-issues-a-terrible-response-to-the-controversy.17543/

It's just that they are convenient shorthand for what I meant.

Ehoavash has distinct tastes from what I remember, so it's really hard for me to get an idea of whether or not it could be something "exciting" for the ERA audience or something people wouldn't give a shit about (think Sushi Striker).

Didn't know about that. Sounds like an epic disaster.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I think Wave Race is way too big for this.

I can't believe people don't get that it's annoying how empty the release calendar has been for a year.

Clearly there's enough of us to think that some people, in their opinion, think there's a bit of barrenness. People try and counter by posting lists of games. But they're not games we're going to play. Wonder Boy may be a ten out of ten. A lot of people say it is. But many of us just aren't going to play it. It's not our thing. Sorry.

I blame BoTW. People like me bought the console for it. But then it wasn't really followed up with much. A clever Square Enix would have ported Sleeping Dogs (is it called that) or some other 360 open world ish things. Skyrim clearly did very well.

Also, while you may not like it, most people don't complete games. I've got Captain Toad, Mario Rabbids, Undertale (which didn't gel with me at all), Outrun, Sonic Mania, Hollow Knight, Metal Slug, gonner and Worms sat barely played on my Switch. Im sure they're all great but I turn my Switch on and don't feel like playing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.