• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
FYI to fellow shmup fans, Terra Force is back in the eShop. It probably was just released too early on accident the first time around as speculated.
Enter the Gungeon is Nuclear Throne with more content and better levels and better bosses and better art and better everything.

Nuclear Throne is the prototype that Enter the Gungeon built from. NT deserves credit for that, but Enter the Gungeon is far better.

IMO
Nuclear Throne is a better traditional twinstick shooter, whereas Gungeon seems to appeal more to fans of stuff like Binding of Isaac and has a more modern feel. Gungeon doesn't have the proper pacing and gameplay feel to capture the arcade twinstick shooter vibe. I didn't find it very fun, personally, though I can see the appeal.

Monolith is a way better twinstick roguelite than both of those though. Hopefully that gets a Switch port someday.
What is the VallHalla gameplay loop?
It's a visual novel with very light gameplay. There's no real gameplay loop, though the game is divided into separate days. It has a great, cozy cyberpunk vibe like Snatcher.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Zeroption Invasion has a Tate mode and is actually pretty alright for my expectations.

The first boss is a pretty funny swerve.
Lives/continues definitely aren't generous.
The design is way tighter than I was expecting barring one stage which has an obscenely intense screen shake.

And the menu icon is pretty alright.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely Dragons Dogma. The world is smaller than Skyrim but it's got all of your other wishes and I ADORE this game!!! One of the most fun battle systems I've played. Spells are so near looking. Pawn system for party members is unique and makes your party infinitely customizable.

Have you played Breath of the Wild? It doesn't really have character development but it does have crafting food and a lot of armor/weapon loot. Insanely huge world you could spend 300 hours and still not see it all. This game evokes a sense of wonder I rarely ever feel in games anymore. BOTW is in my top 3 games of all time.

Also, how about Xenoblade Chronicles 2? It's another big world with a cool setting up in the sky. It's pretty anime but I love it. Soundtrack is A++, graphics are OK docked and not good handheld. However, it's got tons of gameplay systems for character development and a fun story, and a great battle system. The world is just magical to me. It fills me with wanderlust and it's a realllllly long game also. Highly highly recommended!

Lastly, I feel like Octopath Traveler is a dark horse pick. Firstly, it has one of the best soundtracks in a game, EVER. I can't say enough about the mind blowing OST. There is a fairly big world to explore and lots of character customization. Each character is a set class but you can add a 2nd job to them to open up WAY more options for developing your people. Battle system is great fun. Story is good - each of 8 characters have their own story you play and while they don't add up to 1 huge interconnected thing, they are mostly fun and cool vignettes. This game was a shock to me and I love it.

Sorry for the long post but all games I mention are, to me, amazing and all come highly recommended :)
You weren't responding to me, but I wanted to chime in and say that this is a great post.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Tried the Attack on Titan 2 demo handheld. It throws a million lengthy control instructions at you in a row which makes the actually rather simple controls feel overwhelming at first, and then you reach a Titan and the frame rate completely shits the bed. It's also not dubbed, so no chance you'll be able to read any of the battlefield banter during the hectic action. Not a great first impression for me.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Is VA-11 Hall-A worth it if you have no experience with the game at all? I like the look of it and the music in the eshop trailer is great.

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone?:
So does Valhalla Switch has touch controls at all? How do you prepare the drinks? It's one of my favorite games but I got so used to the controls on Vita , I'm worried this will be an inferior experience.
Is VA-11 Hall-A worth it if you have no experience with the game at all? I like the look of it and the music in the eshop trailer is great.
You mean the genre or the game? Either way, yes, it's quite simple to play and IMO the less you know about the story and characters goin in, the better. It's basically a visual novel with some decision making here and there and the main interaction you have is serving drinks, which you can sometimes mix up a bit to get different results.

It may sound simplistic but the characters and the atmosphere are great. The visuals and music especially are fantastic.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Such posts remind me of the fact that we should have the possibility to sell our used digital games to other players.

But to answer your question, I would suggest you simply bail on HK for two weeks or so. The urge to play it regularly decreases relatively quickly after you put it aside. That's how I've resisted the urge to play the DLC so far.
I definitely agree, it was oddly enough one of the positives of the OG Xbox One vision that I actually really liked. I guess with streaming that becomes less possible as you never really own a game.

My biggest issue with the game, it has a huge map but isn't laid out well.

Funny enough, I never feel bad for actually getting sidetracked as it's always enjoyable pushing my reactions or how I can navigate a place I haven't been before. Though after I posted that I actually went and fought the last boss, oddly really easy. Though some parts definitely felt like that, where I was too powerful because I'd not stumbled upon it sooner? Granted that's the issue with open world games like HK, too much openness and it's ridiculously hard balance when a player gets there.

I did like though that there was some HP buffer with the nail. Meant if I buffed it the enemies were not far behind. Now onto Skyrim! Wait no, Moonlighter...wait no...crap.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Some Shakedown: Hawaii gameplay. Quick first impressions: this game is fun. Controls are great, looks good, and runs well. I hope it doesn't fall under the radar for folks this month, because it has a great "pick up and play" feel to it. I'm going to lose sleep tonight because I need to keep playing.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Some Shakedown: Hawaii gameplay. Quick first impressions: this game is fun. Controls are great, looks good, and runs well. I hope it doesn't fall under the radar for folks this month, because it has a great "pick up and play" feel to it. I'm going to lose sleep tonight because I need to keep playing.

This and ringo ishikawa were my two most expected games this beginning of the year. Sorry mate I won't spoil myself by watching your video, but I'm glad that the first impressions are positive.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Just about to finish Steamworld Dig 2 and buy the new Steamworld game but then FM 2019 drops to £16. Decisions, decisions...

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Absolutely Dragons Dogma. The world is smaller than Skyrim but it's got all of your other wishes and I ADORE this game!!! One of the most fun battle systems I've played. Spells are so near looking. Pawn system for party members is unique and makes your party infinitely customizable.

Have you played Breath of the Wild? It doesn't really have character development but it does have crafting food and a lot of armor/weapon loot. Insanely huge world you could spend 300 hours and still not see it all. This game evokes a sense of wonder I rarely ever feel in games anymore. BOTW is in my top 3 games of all time.

Also, how about Xenoblade Chronicles 2? It's another big world with a cool setting up in the sky. It's pretty anime but I love it. Soundtrack is A++, graphics are OK docked and not good handheld. However, it's got tons of gameplay systems for character development and a fun story, and a great battle system. The world is just magical to me. It fills me with wanderlust and it's a realllllly long game also. Highly highly recommended!

Lastly, I feel like Octopath Traveler is a dark horse pick. Firstly, it has one of the best soundtracks in a game, EVER. I can't say enough about the mind blowing OST. There is a fairly big world to explore and lots of character customization. Each character is a set class but you can add a 2nd job to them to open up WAY more options for developing your people. Battle system is great fun. Story is good - each of 8 characters have their own story you play and while they don't add up to 1 huge interconnected thing, they are mostly fun and cool vignettes. This game was a shock to me and I love it.

Sorry for the long post but all games I mention are, to me, amazing and all come highly recommended :)
Hey, thanks for the long reply. Of course I got BotW since day one and while as you said there's no much char development I greatly enjoyed the freedom, the openness in this game reminded me of the first time I entered Hyrule field in OoT.

I may give a try to Xeno 2 but I played the Octopath demo and while it looked decent I don't think I could stand those random encounters and the repetitiveness.

Looks like Dragons Dogma will be the game I buy next on Switch!

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

Nice, thanks - do you prefer it to Retro City Rampage (if you've played that)?

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
This and ringo ishikawa were my two most expected games this beginning of the year. Sorry mate I won't spoil myself by watching your video, but I'm glad that the first impressions are positive.
This. I would add to the mix Katana Zero which was also a good experience although I expected a little more from its gameplay.
Those three games are like made for me. 80's inspired games with kick ass atmosphere and soundtrack. If you haven't played Katana yet, I would strongly suggest you try it.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Any impressions on World End Syndrome? It looks pretty neat and the premise is interesting!
For now it seems to be a cool visual novel.

At first it looks the typical VN but then you see stuff getting weird like the usual opening theme getting cut out and some of the more mysterious stuff happens.

It has a mix of the usual VN choose your girl route with a murder mystery and it seems to be a interesting mix and i'm liking the more dark/mystery story going between the cliche anime school stuff.
The cool thing here is that the main premise is that whenever you finish one of the girls route when you start the game you see a bit more of the opening cutscene that is the big mystery of the game.
When you do all the routes you see the all cutscene that it seems to be a big plot twist and unlock the true ending route but i didn't get there yet.

I like that it's mainly voiced and there's skip points you unlock so you can skip right to those points when you go for the other heroine routes.
Also this as a world map where in different time of days you can choose where to go and with which person interact to so the new routes don't feel the same if you choose different places than before.

It runs good on switch, no problem there.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This. I would add to the mix Katana Zero which was also a good experience although I expected a little more from its gameplay.
Those three games are like made for me. 80's inspired games with kick ass atmosphere and soundtrack. If you haven't played Katana yet, I would strongly suggest you try it.

I have it in my Switch, but haven't started yet! I'm going through CupHead first (great port by the way)

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
For now it seems to be a cool visual novel.

At first it looks the typical VN but then you see stuff getting weird like the usual opening theme getting cut out and some of the more mysterious stuff happens.

It has a mix of the usual VN choose your girl route with a murder mystery and it seems to be a interesting mix and i'm liking the more dark/mystery story going between the cliche anime school stuff.
The cool thing here is that the main premise is that whenever you finish one of the girls route when you start the game you see a bit more of the opening cutscene that is the big mystery of the game.
When you do all the routes you see the all cutscene that it seems to be a big plot twist and unlock the true ending route but i didn't get there yet.

I like that it's mainly voiced and there's skip points you unlock so you can skip right to those points when you go for the other heroine routes.
Also this as a world map where in different time of days you can choose where to go and with which person interact to so the new routes don't feel the same if you choose different places than before.

It runs good on switch, no problem there.

Thanks! Grabbed it and looking forward to diving in later today :)

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida

Looks fantastic. I enjoyed my time with Retro City Rampage a few years back. This definitely looks like it would scratch the same itch. The gun play seems much more beefed up than RCR...I like

Oct 25, 2017

The wait is almost over
tumblr_inline_ot0tw7bUWk1qcsurn_500.gif

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Some others have already asked, but I'm extremely interested if anybody has impressions of Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse? I heard the PS4/steam versions released last year didn't get a warm reception, despite the excellent graphics/style. This version released on switch has apparently been totally revamped with lots of new content and fixed a lot of what was wrong with the original, especially when it came to permanent death. Very curious if the update has made the game worthwhile, and also about the difficulty, especially in co-op. This looks like a great game to play with young kids, if the skill barrier isn't too high.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
thinking about turning this into its own thread, but even a survey wouldn't help much, so I'll just ask and see what I come up with here first:

What is the most unique game you've bought on the Nintendo eShop? It's okay if the game is available on another platform, but I'm thinking mainly of digital-only games. Unique could designate anything: unique art style, unique gameplay, unique concept, unique execution, and so on. There are a lot of indie titles on the Switch and I think it's easy to overlook them, even when you have threads like these, which try to capture as much information as possible.

For me, I think the answer is Black Bird: it has an entirely unique and unusual art style combined with bizarre music, a fun spin on the Defender/Fantasy Zone-style looping map, an obtuse but rewarding score system, and some of the strangest bosses I've ever seen in a shmup. It's super easy to pick up, but mastery requires some serious planning and a willingness to investigate the game's environment. This isn't a shmup where the background simply scrolls past: it's an integral part of finding the best ending. I simply don't own anything like it on any platform.

Here's some video with great commentary from two players that seem to know a lot about what's going mechanically - spoilers here if you want to go in blind, but knowing and doing are very separate things in this game:

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017

It does look a lot better than RCR, which I thought was a pretty crap game, frankly.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
thinking about turning this into its own thread, but even a survey wouldn't help much, so I'll just ask and see what I come up with here first:

What is the most unique game you've bought on the Nintendo eShop? It's okay if the game is available on another platform, but I'm thinking mainly of digital-only games. Unique could designate anything: unique art style, unique gameplay, unique concept, unique execution, and so on. There are a lot of indie titles on the Switch and I think it's easy to overlook them, even when you have threads like these, which try to capture as much information as possible.

For me, I think the answer is Black Bird: it has an entirely unique and unusual art style combined with bizarre music, a fun spin on the Defender/Fantasy Zone-style looping map, an obtuse but rewarding score system, and some of the strangest bosses I've ever seen in a shmup. It's super easy to pick up, but mastery requires some serious planning and a willingness to investigate the game's environment. This isn't a shmup where the background simply scrolls past: it's an integral part of finding the best ending. I simply don't own anything like it on any platform.

Here's some video with great commentary from two players that seem to know a lot about what's going mechanically - spoilers here if you want to go in blind, but knowing and doing are very separate things in this game:

That's a great idea for a thread! Thanks for sharing about Black Bird - it looked really odd and I couldn't figure out what the draw was for it but now I understand some of the hype.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Definitely rain world as far as I'm concerned. I'm still not done with it, I'll come back to it later. But the 20 hours I played it so far were amazing.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Hey, thanks for the long reply. Of course I got BotW since day one and while as you said there's no much char development I greatly enjoyed the freedom, the openness in this game reminded me of the first time I entered Hyrule field in OoT.

I may give a try to Xeno 2 but I played the Octopath demo and while it looked decent I don't think I could stand those random encounters and the repetitiveness.

Looks like Dragons Dogma will be the game I buy next on Switch!

Yes I think Dragons Dogma will be right up your alley. If you need or want any tips when you do start playing, ask away! This game has some...odd...systems in place that are part of its charm but take some time to get a handle on :)

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Nice, thanks - do you prefer it to Retro City Rampage (if you've played that)?
I didn't enjoy RCR all that much, honestly. I'm really enjoying SH. Shaking down businesses for protection money is too much fun and how you to do so has been pretty varied -- like standing next to customers to make them feel uncomfortable, destroying inventory, damaging the building, killing the gang that controls the store, or just causing a mess. I got hooked to it last night and built a strong portfolio of business control.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't enjoy RCR all that much, honestly. I'm really enjoying SH. Shaking down businesses for protection money is too much fun and how you to do so has been pretty varied -- like standing next to customers to make them feel uncomfortable, destroying inventory, damaging the building, killing the gang that controls the store, or just causing a mess. I got hooked to it last night and built a strong portfolio of business control.
So is there like sim management involved in running your business, like do I get to navigate menus and do some RPG or Sim City-like things?

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It has touch controls. You can also use analog and it works great.
I'm loving this game so far. Haven't messed up a drink yet but I feel like I don't fully grasp the "mixing" portion. I just count 4 seconds for mixed and like two seconds after it goes double time for blended. Is there a trick I am missing?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
From the moment I saw the first trailers I was like, Oh this is like RCR but fun, and it sounds like my initial reaction was right. I kind of felt like RCR was a mess and lost interest fast once nostalgia and silliness wore off

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
So is there like sim management involved in running your business, like do I get to navigate menus and do some RPG or Sim City-like things?

I haven't dived that deep into property stuff yet, but I'll check on that stuff.

From the moment I saw the first trailers I was like, Oh this is like RCR but fun, and it sounds like my initial reaction was right. I kind of felt like RCR was a mess and lost interest fast once nostalgia and silliness wore off

SH feels more like GTA in a retro visual style or maybe Scarface since you are trying to build a business empire. It has its goofy moments (I took a flamethrower to shop kiosks) but it all makes sense in narrative sense.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm loving this game so far. Haven't messed up a drink yet but I feel like I don't fully grasp the "mixing" portion. I just count 4 seconds for mixed and like two seconds after it goes double time for blended. Is there a trick I am missing?

Mixing is just pressing mix quickly. Blending with more time. You can also feel it with rumble.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Took a look at the business management side of things. You can add revenue multipliers to stores and specific items they may sell. I'm still early in the game, so things may still expand.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Battle Chef Brigade. The way you're constantly swapping from the puzzles to the action and then back to the puzzles is truly amazing. Even though I like puzzle games, I tend to get bored of them quickly, but I couldn't stop playing BCB until I beat it. I also loved the plot and characters.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
SH feels more like GTA in a retro visual style or maybe Scarface since you are trying to build a business empire. It has its goofy moments (I took a flamethrower to shop kiosks) but it all makes sense in narrative sense.
Not sure how I'd feel about the business sim aspects of the game, but I admit I love the game's sense of humor -- I laughed audibly when you were tasked with destroying mail trucks to stop ecommerce and their dreaded free delivery. :-)

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida

That gives me some strong "The Godfather" game vibes.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Not sure how I'd feel about the business sim aspects of the game, but I admit I love the game's sense of humor -- I laughed audibly when you were tasked with destroying mail trucks to stop ecommerce and their dreaded free delivery. :-)
It's pretty streamlined and simple to manage, at least so far. Buying properties and shaking down others for protection money is entertaining. The story is funny. Just had a clever mission about gamers & live streaming that made me chuckle.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Cautiously would like to get Giga Wrecker Alt, but without knowing the full extent of the changes from the PC version, and having recently completed the PC version, I'm holding off for a sale. Anyone new to it, though? Go for it, it's fantastic stuff.