• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For how long will Nintendo drink our tears?

• Until March 2020

Votes: 1,043 53.8%
  • Until April 2020

Votes: 207 10.7%
  • Until E3

Votes: 244 12.6%
  • Forever (no more Directs)

Votes: 444 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Jason isn't holding back either this time. All in all, rumors are fine but when Jason says something, I see it as absolute. He knows more than anyone and he's shutting this one down.

Jason is a good journalist, but I doubt he knows anything Atlus unless projects are already in localization.
Most Japanese games don't get leaked at all, but until people in the west get to see stuff.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
I suppose it comes down to whether Nintendo would rather get just people who don't already have MK8, or get people who do have MK8 to also buy 9 + capture new buyers with the new game and potential DLC.
It's no wonder a new MK will post astronomically high sales. However it would very not-Nintendo to release a new online multiplayer game just 2 years after the first one.

If their intentions were to fill a void until the main game was to be released, then it backfired, both badly and greatly.

Badly because they can't release a new game now that almost 25M people own the game and actively play it. But greatly because it's a smashing success that not even the most optimistic would have predicted.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I wonder if we should ask Mr. Schreier to say that Bayonetta 2 and 3 are and will stay Nintendo exclusives? You know ... because she sees it as absolute then. ;D

Opinions are what people think, stormtrooper. Just because aim is difficult, doesn't mean you have to shoot down others ;D

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Jason is a good journalist, but I doubt he knows anything Atlus unless projects are already in localization.
Most Japanese games don't get leaked at all, but until people in the west get to see stuff.

I think Jason knows more than he leads on because he reveals the most obscure stories. I wouldn't ever doubt what he knows and he definitely has his foot in every region. He's revealed big Japanese stories too. It's up to you to believe him or not, so there's always that luxury, but I personally have no reason to doubt him.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god this thread is going quickly.

Anyway yeah I don't see Persona 5 happening on Switch, if it hasn't happened yet then there's clearly a reason for that. Exclusivity, company loyalty, who knows.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
jason has conections people, he built a reputation this last decade and i can bet many, many people come to him with stories and he digs and decides what's worth to publish.

alm0st^_^

Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Where did the sudden explosion of confidence in a Direct happening next week come from?

Recent comments and poll results seemed to come out of nowhere. Digging several pages back and I can't find anything. Not being cynical, just trying to check my hype!

This is my bunny Clover (also in my avatar):
h7F8bSG.jpg
What kind of steroids do you feed that thing? Its the size of a small deer

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, he has sources for sure, I mean it's his job, but I can't really see them reach far into Japan.
Atlus games also get localized after release in Japan as opposed to anything Nintendo or other bigger publishers, so there's also no real need for people in the west to know anything until then.
Many of the leaks we get are from localization.
Didn't people from China leak that there were no Gyms in Pokemon Sun & Moon months before they released because of the Chineses localization?

He just wants people to keep their cool and not overhype things, aas there is no definite proof yet, just speculation.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nobody is saying anything against Jason's journalistic skills.
But he admits himself that what he's saying about Atlus isn't based on anything he knows. Same like when Zippo speculated on something last time and people thinking he was leaking things.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Are those Persona Central headlines jumping ahead? Yeah. At least they gave a reasoning for that, how likely or not i don't know.
Does this mean P5 Switch is not happening like Jason said? As of now, yes.

Does this mean that Atlus might or might not think about it and just might use those surveys to gather information about that whole stuff? I think nobody can say anything definitiv outside of the suits at Atlus.

Opinions are what people think, stormtrooper. Just because aim is difficult, doesn't mean you have to shoot down others ;D

Oh, i will try to remember. But i can't promise to stop shooting down others opinion if these are based on nothing but personal wishing and actually opposing pretty much official statements from developers.

After all, even a stormtrooper has to hit sometimes.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
My dream Direct...

has more Square games like Valkyrie Profile Lenneth/Silmeria, Xenogears and Chrono Cross, Falcom/NIS Switch ports, End of Eternity, Shining Force 3, Eternal Arcadia and PSO(dc/gc) from Sega, Suikoden 1 to 3, Baten Kaitos 1, 2 and Xenosaga games, Breath of Fire 3, 4, 5.
Nier 1 remadestered and Automata.
SMT5.
New Valkyrie Profile, new Chrono, new Baten Kaitos, new Eternal Arcadia...

Xenoblade X DE, Xenoblade X2 and a Xenoblade 3 following 1 style, not 2. No boring story relations between every games.
A Botw like Zelda using the "2D" ones as an example but making the open world a bit more realistic (scenery transition).

A nice Mario golf with story, online multi and mini golf.
Good surprises, even if not the types of games I love.

And of course, a date for Hollow Knight hypesong.

Last edited:

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Whatever. Atlus is busy milking Persona 5 and starting thinking about preprod on SMTV.
Ports of older games on switch will happen A year into the next system life.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Are those Persona Central headlines jumping ahead? Yeah. At least they gave a reasoning for that, how likely or not i don't know.
Does this mean P5 Switch is not happening like Jason said? As of now, yes.

Does this mean that Atlus might or might not think about it and just might use those surveys to gather information about that whole stuff? I think nobody can say anything definitiv outside of the suits at Atlus.

Oh, i will try to remember. But i can't promise to stop shooting down others opinion if these are based on nothing but personal wishing and actually opposing pretty much official statements from developers.

Then you need to look up the definition of an opinion, friend. Because it's what someone thinks and they cannot be wrong. You are free to think otherwise, of course, but you cannot tell or dictate them what to or not to do because that's inappropriate. If something starts conflict for no reason, know it will come back. No reason for it, however so better to make peace. I like Star Wars anyway.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if the Direct just showcases Pikmin, Paper Mario, more AC and one more surprise, I'd consider it one of the top Directs for me(in the Switch era). Currently September 2018 still holds that title, but AC gameplay and Pikmin(port or not), is enough to win me over.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's no wonder a new MK will post astronomically high sales. However it would very not-Nintendo to release a new online multiplayer game just 2 years after the first one.

If their intentions were to fill a void until the main game was to be released, then it backfired, both badly and greatly.

Badly because they can't release a new game now that almost 25M people own the game and actively play it. But greatly because it's a smashing success that not even the most optimistic would have predicted.
Mario Kart 9 would actually be 3.5+ years after MK8D. There's also no reason they couldn't release a new one.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 would actually be 3.5+ years after MK8D. There's also no reason they couldn't release a new one.

People keep explaining and rexplaining the reasons why but no one has been able to provide a single valable counterargument and instead prefer to pretend there's no reasons. Which is why these discussions keep happening again and again.

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Not on Switch and that's what counts. It's been less than 2 years since it launched. No way they are announcing a new one when the current game is the fastest selling title on the platform and people are playing it in hordes.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
This is all that matters. A miracle year for me would be reviving the IP on Switch - incredibly unlikely, but it's what I want more than anything for the system.
Cheono Cross got released near FF8 if my memory is right and... got buried in the desert like E.T.

I LOVED the game much, muuuuch more than FF8.
Seeing the fate of both series after was quite... something : /.

Let's hope. Trials of Mana came back out of nowhere after all : ).

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Let me get this straight. People think it's too late for DLC because it's been a while, but it's too early for MK9 because of sales? Y'all are nuts.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Psssst.... insiders.... psssssstttttttttt....

I have questions that may or may not pertain to a certain science fiction bounty hunter and her escapades through richly detailed planets and immersive exploration therein.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Let me get this straight. People think it's too late for DLC because it's been a while, but it's too early for MK9 because of sales? Y'all are nuts.

Well, MK8 is technically a Wii U game expanded so 2020 would make sense for MK9. I can see it happening. MK8 sold well so who knows, but it could also be another racing game.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
People keep explaining and rexplaining the reasons why but no one has been able to provide a single valable counterargument and instead prefer to pretend there's no reasons. Which is why these discussions keep happening again and again.
Reasons why it couldn't happen? Those "reasons" come down to sales, and the single fact of the matter is MK8D + Mario Kart 9 would sell better than MK8D + literally any other title they could be developing, while also offering the opportunity for lucrative seasons of DLC and the ability to push their online service even more.
Not on Switch and that's what counts. It's been less than 2 years since it launched. No way they are announcing a new one when the current game is the fastest selling title on the platform and people are playing it in hordes.
It's been 34 months since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came out. Just shy of 3 years Any Mario Kart 9 announced now would probably come out in 9-15 months. That's 3 and a half to 4 years.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The MK debate is so boring. Nobody knows anything, yet everyone speaks with such confidence.

Instead let's follow Kevin360's lead and commence begging for Metroid inside information.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Persona on Switch will happen.
It won't be this year or next. It may not be Persona 5. But mainline numbered Persona on Switch is happening.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The MK debate is so boring. Nobody knows anything, yet everyone speaks with such confidence.

Instead let's follow Kevin360's lead and commence begging for Metroid inside information.
My thoughts are if they were ever planning it on Switch, then it's coming. If they never planned it in the first place then it won't. It just grinds my gears that there's people who are 100% convinced that a MK9 on Switch is impossible.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I wouldn't put much stock into that Atlus survey

I would be very surprised if any mainline Persona game comes to Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.