• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I think the team would be okay with trying new IP while Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell like bonkers anyway. A new Mario Kart would cut the legs of 8, so I don't think it's as simple as "Mario Kart sells more so they should focus on that."

I really don't get this argument. People never being this up with BOTW, 3D Mario, Pokemon, or Mario Party, so why here? Any sequel that comes out will cut the legs off its predecessor, Mario Kart isn't special here.

As long as it's different enough to matter, it'll be fine.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's definitely not ARMS, that's for certain. Nintendo seems to have zero interest in continuing it.
Damn.....

I mean, when you compare a game that's sold nearly 20 million copies to one that couldn't even crack 3 million, which one would you pick?
To be fair, fighting games don't do big numbers unless you're Smash or NRS. Plus all they otherwise do is Mario Kart.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
internal

I really don't get this argument. People never being this up with BOTW, 3D Mario, Pokemon, or Mario Party, so why here? Any sequel that comes out will cut the legs off its predecessor, Mario Kart isn't special here.

The problem is the multiplayer.

A game like BotW or Odyssey can exist by itself at any place, any time. Stuff like Splatoon and Mario Party need a consistent player base, with older entries getting obsolete.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be easier to get excited for Wii U ports if Nintendo would hold a direct and tell us what Wii U ports are coming.

Im 16 hours into TMS #FE and I got past the point in which I quit playing it on Wii U. This game is so much better when you're not forced to use a Wii U Gamepad to play it. A massive JRPG is not the type of game I want to use a controller with three hours of battery life with.

I think my gamepad battery has gotten worse with time. I was playing Yoshi's Wolley World last week and the battery was dying not even three hours in.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, I think doing them as a character would've been great marketing but their time has long since past.

I don't know about ever again, but i think for now, that team is focused on other things.
I mean, didn't most of us expect Nintendo to wait until next-gen if they do another ARMS game?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Mario Kart is extremely special though. It's the default Nintendo multiplayer game that's basically guaranteed a hefty portion of all new system sales, more so than even Smash.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when you compare a game that's sold nearly 20 million copies to one that couldn't even crack 3 million, which one would you pick?

This is a very flawed argument. What you're suggesting is Nintendo focusing on what sells. Literally nothing but Mario Zelda and Pokémon. Why bother anything other than those three when only those "crack" 10 million sales? Can you imagine a first party lineup like that?

No, they'll try to make it work. First Arms was a experimental barebones release and even that sold great considering it's a pretty soft debut. Now it's the time for creating a true followup. With lots of content and gameplay modes.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The problem is the multiplayer.

Mario Party is multiplayer too (however loosely). Hell, COD, Madden, etc are all yearly installments based on multiplayer.

Even so, I think there's an easy way around this: semi-backwards-compatibility. MK9 will keep the tracks from MK8, and users across both games will be able to play with each other ON THOSE TRACKS. Mario Kart 9 builds off MK8D's foundation.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Party is multiplayer too (however loosely). Hell, COD, Madden, etc are all yearly installments based on multiplayer.

Even so, I think there's an easy way around this: semi-backwards-compatibility. MK9 will keep the tracks from MK8, and users across both games will be able to play with each other ON THOSE TRACKS. Mario Kart 9 builds off MK8D's foundation.

Mario Party doesn't have online though. Or at least not the one people want.

It's not propped up by an online ecosystem.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This is a very flawed argument. What you're suggesting is Nintendo focusing on what sells. Literally nothing but Mario Zelda and Pokémon. Why bother anything other than those three when only those "crack" 10 million sales? Can you imagine a first party lineup like that?

No, they'll try to make it work. First Arms was a experimental barebones release and even that sold great considering it's a pretty soft debut. Now it's the time for creating a true followup. With lots of content and gameplay modes.

A company focusing on what sells? Gee, it's almost like they're a company or something. That's absolutely not what I'm saying at all and you clearly missed the point of that post entirely. Nintendo has plenty of viable franchises that don't sell numbers like that. I asked that question from an obvious business perspective, and not a quality/content one. If someone were to ask me that, I'd go for the one with an established name, which is Mario Kart of course.

I'd be super down with an ARMS 2, but i totally understand why Nintendo would go for where the money actually is. They have a bottom line to worry about.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Your argument is flawed here too. ARMS didn't sell especially great, it's userbase dropped off a cliff, and most people forgot about it. A game as important as ARMS was should have to prove itself, it didn't. Thus, no sequel plans. And it's not like Nintendo is only focusing on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. ARMS was a thing for a reason. It didn't work.

Y'all are forgetting that ARMS was made by arguably Nintendo's most profitable developer. They want that division to have constant sellers, and ARMS isn't that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a sec, that is an interesting trend. The past two handhelds have both had Metroid Multiplayer games. Will Switch get one?

I honestly hope they would flesh it out and make it its own game instead of part of Prime 4. One because it'd make sure Retro is focusing on the single player, two because it would let us see another team's take on Metroid
the Wii U technically had one. I'm still hoping for a multiplayer mode anyway. as much as fans might not like it on a conceptual level, it'll be a good way of getting more people into the Metroid series

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, the Mario Kart team at EPD has released at least one game every three years since 2005:

2005:
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS

2008:
Mario Kart Wii

2011:
Nintendogs + Cats
Mario Kart 7

2014:
Mario Kart 8

2017:
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Would not expect that to be any different this year.

Great to see NintenCats+Rabbits confirmed!

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Been kind of out of loop Switch wise lately but jumping back in, has there been very many rumors on 2020 3rd party ports?

I know the BioShock Collection was rated, curious to see what else will be brought...maybe more WRPGs even if they're older.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I think the team would be okay with trying new IP while Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to sell like bonkers anyway. A new Mario Kart would cut the legs of 8, so I don't think it's as simple as "Mario Kart sells more so they should focus on that."
I agree with this, new IP or Arms 2, or something new thats not necessarly a new IP.

I dont agree with Zippo on that 'why make another game when you could make a 20 million selling game', even tho he said its half information I will handle that with a grain of salt since he could just say it is 100% information. I dont see Nintendo working that way, or that being a reason to make the next Mario Kart considering the legs of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

EDIT: Didnt read this, but yeah, agree with this reply:

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Your argument is flawed here too. ARMS didn't sell especially great, it's userbase dropped off a cliff, and most people forgot about it. A game as important as ARMS was should have to prove itself, it didn't. Thus, no sequel plans. And it's not like Nintendo is only focusing on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. ARMS was a thing for a reason. It didn't work.

Y'all are forgetting that ARMS was made by arguably Nintendo's most profitable developer. They want that division to have constant sellers, and ARMS isn't that.
It still maintained a decent player-base going by the 2 years of Party Crash support it got (which got extended twice during those 2 years). And, again, most fighting games don't sell huge numbers unless you're Smash or an NRS fighting game. The fact that a new fighting game IP that's an unorthodox take on the genre sold what it did is actually pretty good, & we already know that the game sold to their expectations. I highly doubt Nintendo was expecting Splatoon numbers from ARMS, let alone Smash or Mario Kart numbers.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Another thing y'all are forgetting: Development on a hypothetical MK9 would have started BEFORE MK8D hit shelves. The next game from them would have already been decided.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see NintenCats+Rabbits confirmed!
NintenCabbits

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This is why I think MK9 isn't happening until Switch 2. They probably decided before the Switch launch that MK8D will be the Switch's Mario Kart game.

Either that, or the opposite: MK8 was a temporary solution that kinda backfired in a positive way.

All my arguments aside, I really don't know what they're doing here. This is probably the biggest Switch mystery game as of right now. But the lack of MK8 DLC could be a smoking gun.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Also, I would stop using Mario Kart 9 as the name of a hypothetical new entry. Nintendo likely considers Tour to be that.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018

Because Mario Kart is the definition of an evergreen title, just like Smash Bros., and both series have had only one game per console, I doubt Nintendo plans to change that because one is enough, one will sell for the ENTIRETY of the console lifespan.

Mario Kart is a multiplayer game, unlike Mario and Zelda, and Pokémon is known for having literally one game every single year, so yeah, not a great comparison. You should compare to Smash Bros.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
the Wii U technically had one. I'm still hoping for a multiplayer mode anyway. as much as fans might not like it on a conceptual level, it'll be a good way of getting more people into the Metroid series
I loved the Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer,
it was basically Quake lite.
But I don't think I would play that still, as my Friends and I rather player multiplayer shooters on PC these days.
It would need things to set it apart.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Either that, or the opposite: MK8 was a temporary solution that kinda backfired in a positive way.

All my arguments aside, I really don't know what they're doing here. This is probably the biggest Switch mystery game as of right now. But the lack of MK8 DLC could be a smoking gun.

Wasn't MK8 marketed as having all the DLC from the original?

Never heard of Nintendo ports getting exclusive DLC.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be super down with an ARMS 2, but i totally understand why Nintendo would go for where the money actually is. They have a bottom line to worry about.

Nah, I disagree with this. Last year alone they funded 3 huge games with no sales guarantee, that means they love to take big risks, they don't care about "bottom line" that much. They want to expand the Switch audience beyond the usual Mario and Zelda fans and for that they're continuously experimenting. There are lots of people who are interested in Switch itself but not Mario or Zelda, even on this forums. Nintendo is trying to find out how to lure those people to Switch with stuff like Arms, Astral Chain or Marvel.

Plus there already is a healthy seller Mario Kart out there, why kill it when you can create another multi million seller to sell it alongside MK8? I'm not saying their next project is Arms 2 for sure but I think it's definitely not another Mario Kart.

For a barebones release with limited content, Arms did sell great for a huge $60 price tag. It was an experimental release, to see what kind of control methods people prefer, to see if there is an interest in full 3D fighters. If there's gonna be a follow-up, it'll be shaped according to the user reception.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna see EPD's take on an actual horror game (meaning not Luigi's Mansion). If the MK team is working on a new IP I can hope for that I guess.

I'm sure it's not gonna happen though.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
...I don't see what you're getting at here? That's a entirely different situation.

That strategies for game releases can change?

Also, MK8DX not getting DLC could very well have been a result of MKTour taking priority. It's really doubtful that Tour didn't have the original team involved.

In fact, MKTour throws a wrench into a lot of things. We do not know how much staff they used, but if FE Heroes is any indication, the original team could've been too busy .

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
A major MK8 expansion would be a nice gesture so that people who bought MK8D won't have to pay full price for the latest Mario Kart game on the same system.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
That strategies for game releases can change?

Also, MK8DX not getting DLC could very well have been a result of MKTour taking priority. It's really doubtful that Tour didn't have the original team involved.

In fact, MKTour throws a wrench into a lot of things. We do not know how much staff they used, but if FE Heroes is any indication, the original team could've been too busy .

If MK9 was in development and Nintendo decided to can it because of MK8 sales, I'd be pissed. That's no reason to cancel development, let the team finish it. And, no, they're not going to sit on a finished game for three years, because that would mean that they wouldn't have anything for this generation.

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
A company focusing on what sells? Gee, it's almost like they're a company or something. That's absolutely not what I'm saying at all and you clearly missed the point of that post entirely. Nintendo has plenty of viable franchises that don't sell numbers like that. I asked that question from an obvious business perspective, and not a quality/content one. If someone were to ask me that, I'd go for the one with an established name, which is Mario Kart of course.

You're right. I've always thought that the support of Nintendo Labo VR kit to Arms could be help the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.