• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
No? Seriously, do people even read full sentences of what I wrote? Lol.

Sure do! Like this one:

Do you really think Nintendo (or others) will suddenly announce any exclusive releasing between March and June now, outside of maybe some WiiU port?

Which makes zero sense, because Nintendo announces games for release ~5 months or less in advance all the time. Super Mario Maker 2, Labo, Arms (all of which were announced in January for Q2, btw), Super Mario Party, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake they literally just announced...and none of those are Wii U ports. Hell, they announced Ring Fit Adventure barely a month out. Nintendo is not a "announce every game years in advance" company, so I don't see why you would act like it's impossible that they'd announce something new for Q2. Hell, judging by the last three years, we should expect them to.

Aug 12, 2019
That's the thing, though, Nintendo's internal teams aren't tapped at all, since the only games they really put out last year were Maker 2 and RFA. There's tons of surprises we have waiting for us the next few years.

I wasn't just referring to internal teams though. Next Level Games, Game Freak, Sora Ltd., and Intelligent Systems (even with Koei Tecmo's heavy support) are all working on DLC. Monolith Soft is working on XC: Definitive Edition and eventually their new IP later down the line. Retro Studios just restarted Metroid Prime 4 last year, so they're busy. Grezzo just came off of Link's Awakening and will likely take some time to tackle a new project. Animal Crossing takes up most of the Splatoon team's time, so there isn't likely to be anything Splatoon related either, and EPD in general are fairly focused with work on BOTW 2, Super Mario Maker 2 updates, and Mario Kart Tour as well as just having completed Ring Fit Adventure and Brain Age. Alpha Dream went bankrupt so they're out.

There's a lot of Nintendo's development studios that are either already working on known projects, DLC, or are actively coming off of larger ones. I just don't know how much surprise that we can realistically expect. Like, there are obviously some candidates for surprises, but I don't really expect this year to wow us with new announcements like last year given where we're at and what we already know.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
From December 2019 until June 2019, Nintendo will release 1 big original game, as far as we know. Having 1 tentpole game carrying a console which should be in its prime for 6-7 months isn't great, no matter how big animal crossing is (and it is big). I'd say the same for 6 months of lineup being carried by a Zelda or a Mario.
It wouldn't be much of a problem if third parties also released tentpole games on the system, but they don't. I understand people being disappointed that a 3 years old console wouldn't have a more steady stream of big releases from Nintendo.

I'm not really impacted as I enjoy Nintendo games less and less and find my fun in indie games.
Yep, I agree.

MP4 and Pikmin 4 are the only titles we know that have development problems, but perhaps there have been some more. We also suspect at least one canned project at Retro too (although a part of me is still holding on to a DK!)

Add in the delays we saw to FE, LM3, and AC - and Yoshi, but sense that was ready and just strategically moved.

Dont take this as negativity by the way - I think they've clearly stumbled on numerous problems (not surprising with 3DS teams moving onto Switch) but have still done a great job at keeping the slate steady - and driving some solid 3rd party partnerships too.

I dont think it's a case of "what could or should have been" either. I think there's a bottleneck in the road ahead, and we'll see a very strong H2 20/H1 21 as a result.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yep, I agree.

MP4 and Pikmin 4 are the only titles we know that have development problems, but perhaps there have been some more. We also suspect at least one canned project at Retro too (although a part of me is still holding on to a DK!)

Add in the delays we saw to FE, LM3, and AC - and Yoshi, but sense that was ready and just strategically moved.

Dont take this as negativity by the way - I think they've clearly stumbled on numerous problems (not surprising with 3DS teams moving onto Switch) but have still done a great job at keeping the slate steady - and driving some solid 3rd party partnerships too.

I dont think it's a case of "what could or should have been" either. I think there's a bottleneck in the road ahead, and we'll see a very strong H2 20/H1 21 as a result.

I also have the feeling that if Mario 3D world did release in January like many of us thought, and if Nintendo sprinkled a few smaller original games like boxboy or Tetris 99 (it could still happen), or even Sports Story, the general perception of H1 would have been somehow better.
I'm with you regarding games experiencing delays, reboots or cancellations internally, though it's hard to estimate to which extent.

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I think this makes more sense than Pikmin 3, but I can see why people assume the reverse because 3D World in the autumn and Pikmin in the Spring does feel a better fit... I think the slate warrants the flip though.

3D World is probably the most Nintendo looking game in existence if their theme park is anything to judge by, so like the theme park I think it'll be out in time for the Olympics.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because the game ain't shit. I have no problem with people saying they don't like Animal Crossing and that Q1 is disappointing for them.
But hyperbolic statements like "this is shit", like if it was an objective truth, are annoying.
I mean, sure, it's part of the video game forum culture, but it doesn't mean we can't be better than that. Shit like that only leads to toxic discussions. Nothing cool with seeing some people online calling your beloved serie shit.

So if I think the lineup is bad, I'm not allowed to say so to avoid triggering Animal Crossing fans? Didn't know folks were so sensitive.

I know it's not an objective truth, I just think the game (that type of game) is crap, to me. Therefore the lineup sucks, to me.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie this thread always becomes very hard to read and endure after Christmas and throughout of Q1. I partially blame Nintendo for not spreading out their releases better and partially the impatient people who almost 3 years later still don't understand how Nintendo operates.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I also have the feeling that if Mario 3D world did release in January like many of us thought, and if Nintendo sprinkled a few smaller original games like boxboy or Tetris 99 (it could still happen), or even Sports Story, the general perception of H1 would have been somehow better.
I'm with you regarding games experiencing delays, reboots or cancellations internally, though it's hard to estimate to which extent.
Yep, I think that's true too.

I think it's a mixture of inevitable development challenges and, frankly, Nintendo being very decisive with their release slate - in that, they are first and foremost focused on growing the install base. Which makes absolute sense, of course, but a few extra bones chucked in the general direction of the mass first party consumers wouldn't go amiss!

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck about Animal Crossing. I wonder what kind of RPGs will be coming out in the first half. Paper Mario maybe?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. I see I missed some Animal Crossing talk.

Anyway here's hoping a direct comes sooner than later!

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
3D World is probably the most Nintendo looking game in existence if their theme park is anything to judge by, so like the theme park I think it'll be out in time for the Olympics.
Yep, this is true too. I don't know whether its necessarily something they would have aimed to marry up from the get-go, but certainly the closer the two are in a release schedule the more likely a senior marketing person is going to see the opportunity.

That said, don't expect these things to naturally be seized upon. The guys marketing the game probably dont know the guys marketing the theme park - at least, they certainly wont be chatting day-to-day!

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good point about the park. It definitely seems to have the aesthetic of 3D Land and 3D World. Putting the game out around the summer when the park opens makes a ton of sense

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo spent all their money on themepark trailer music videos so they can't affford to make any games this year :(

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I want to know when the Friends of mineral town/Rune Factory 4 western releases wil launch.

That's probably the reason why I want a direct asap the most

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So if I think the lineup is bad, I'm not allowed to say so to avoid triggering Animal Crossing fans? Didn't know folks were so sensitive.

I know it's not an objective truth, I just think the game (that type of game) is crap, to me. Therefore the lineup sucks, to me.
"I don't like it", "I'm disappointed" =/= "this is crap"
I don't come to ResetEra to get the same hyperbolic takes I could read on 4chan or Gamefaqs.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside
The software lineup gets better once you get closer to May / June. That said, I would be a fool if I said everyone will be happy with the lineup.

NateDrake and I both noticed that this year's software lineup seems to have a major emphasis on the following:
  • Role-playing genre / RPG games: (Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade remastered, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Trials of Mana)
  • Ports / Remasters / Deluxe editions: (ex: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE -- and there's more coming, I assure you)
  • Casual games + Non-violent Family games (ex: Stuff like Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and more)
To be clear: Obviously that does NOT mean every major game releasing this year fits under one of those three bullet points.
But it does seem like a decent chunk of this year's games fall under one of those three categories.

One theory NateDrake had was: maybe Nintendo is using this year to cater more to the handheld/3DS/DS audience. Especially now that the Switch Lite has released. Even the Mystery Dungeon remakes felt like an attempt to cater more to the DS/3DS audience.
Honestly I'd add DLC to that list too. Not the same as a retail release of course, but DLC expansions seem to be getting a bigger focus than ever. First half seems to be padded by new content from Smash, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
"I don't like it", "I'm disappointed" =/= "this is crap"
I don't come to ResetEra to get the same hyperbolic takes I could read on 4chan or Gamefaqs.

How is my thinking the lineup is bad hyperbole? So you're saying I must either stop believing the lineup is bad, or quit posting my opinions? Way to elevate the discourse.

Here I'll rephrase it to make you happy: I'm disappointed in the first half lineup because it is very bad, although I am truly happy for folks who enjoy things such as AC.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's beaten trials of mana several times, and is day one for the remake
I hope people aren't propping it up a bit much here lol.

I mean it's great (at least the og) to me, but there's a lot of issues with it. It's just not a Xenoblade 1 tier
just trying to avoid backlash that has happened several times in the past when smaller games kind of occupy a month to themselves

Based on Emily's comment about RPGs I think Bravely Default II is slated for June.
Feels way too early imo for a game we haven't seen gameplay.
I think it's late 2020

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The software lineup gets better once you get closer to May / June. That said, I would be a fool if I said everyone will be happy with the lineup.

NateDrake and I both noticed that this year's software lineup seems to have a major emphasis on the following:
  • Role-playing genre / RPG games: (Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade remastered, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Trials of Mana)
  • Ports / Remasters / Deluxe editions: (ex: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE -- and there's more coming, I assure you)
  • Casual games + Non-violent Family games (ex: Stuff like Animal Crossing, Brain Age, and more)
To be clear: Obviously that does NOT mean every major game releasing this year fits under one of those three bullet points.
But it does seem like a decent chunk of this year's games fall under one of those three categories.

One theory NateDrake had was: maybe Nintendo is using this year to cater more to the handheld/3DS/DS audience. Especially now that the Switch Lite has released. Even the Mystery Dungeon remakes felt like an attempt to cater more to the DS/3DS audience.

Out of curiosity, are there any more RPG's coming this year from Nintendo? You say that the other two genres/categories outlined here will get more additions, but not the RPG category.

Status
Not open for further replies.