• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Because they started with a Pokemon direct, even though fans have been wanting a general direct for quite long, especially because of the non news at TGA.

Then Nintendo announced another game specific direct before any general direct, and that direct had a character even Smash fans did not care about.

It reminds me so much of Wii U Nintendo.

Since TGA I feel Nintendo changed a lot for the worse. They did great before with the Switch, even in 2018 which was quite barren. I'm just a bit concerned....

"even though fans have been wanting a general direct for quite long" - which fans? You specifically? A bunch of us on a message board who don't actually represent their mass market? A Pokemon direct announcing DLC for their new record breaking Pokemon games is a huge deal that will prolong the legs of those games by a ton.

"another game specific direct"- this Smash video was never presented as a Direct. It's the same video Sakurai has done for every DLC character, none of those were Directs. It's your fault alone if you expected something more out of it.

And again, Wii U era Nintendo was extremely Direct happy. This lack of general Directs is completely opposite to their approach during the Wii U era. I can't even begin to understand how you think it's similar.

Nintendo has no reason to cater specifically to the dozens of us who are rabidly hungry for news regardless of timing or marketing or whatever. They will announce their 2020 games when they feel it is the best time to do so, just like they did in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

My shirt is coming off baybeee!

200.webp

If you got it, flaunt it baby.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Once you know that they don't own Intelligent Systems, it's a pretty reasonable follow up question.
It's not something like Pokemon. Fire Emblem has only been on Nintendo platforms for several decades since its inception, and the Bayonetta comparison doesn't hold up either.
Was that at the beginning? I just rewatched it and he said nothing about trying to prevent leaks with future fighters. Everything he said there was about Byleth.
At the end around the SP2 announcement, and at the start when he said that for Byleth and most of Nintendo not knowing.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm so tired of Smash Bros. It's great that everyone loves it but enough already. Glad that this next direct can breathe! Guess it's February for sure now...

I am in the same camp as you. I enjoy the game for what it is, but there is no denying it gets the most spotlight out of any of the biggest franchises Nintendo has to offer. 2018 felt like a pretty dull year to me in terms of releases because of this. Even the E3 Direct felt mundane because of how much of it was dedicated to the game. In my opinion, 2017 and 2019 were better showings because there was not one overarching game covered. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has done unfathomable numbers in sales, but so have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. I know I am not the only one that wants to see more from these teams at Nintendo. Even Animal Crossing is right around the corner, and we still do not know a plethora of information to this game. In a similar vein to New Leaf, New Horizons is shaping up to be another major departure for the series. A couple trailers do not illustrate that enough.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Because they started with a Pokemon direct, even though fans have been wanting a general direct for quite long, especially because of the non news at TGA.

Then Nintendo announced another game specific direct before any general direct, and that direct had a character even Smash fans did not care about.

It reminds me so much of Wii U Nintendo.

Since TGA I feel Nintendo changed a lot for the worse. They did great before with the Switch, even in 2018 (from a marketing perspective ) which was quite barren in games. I'm just a bit concerned....
Imagine using TGA to talk about a couple of third-party exclusives from fan-favourite franchises before starting the year with news for two of your most popular franchises, including the single best-selling fighting game of all time.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
I'm not that much into Smash but I can't help being happy for the fans of that game. Must be great to get so much dedicated support and a director who clearly is so passionate about his game. I wish more games were like that. So even though I crave for a general direct I'm okay with waiting longer. Let them have fun.
Good stuff is coming, we just don't know what yet.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
At the end around the SP2 announcement, and at the start when he said that for Byleth and most of Nintendo not knowing.
Just rewatched both parts again and, at least in the US version, he says absolutely nothing about preventing leaks outside of talking about how secret the Byleth announcement specifically was.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Nintendo has really been crapping the bed this decade. Hopefully come 2030 they can recover with a fresh start /s

Everything will be fine people. There will be new games in 2020.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
It makes perfect sense to shadowdrop the DLC trailer just as Byleth in Smash, come on.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm saying that I feel like the Nintendo we're used to would have put it in a Direct. But I agree with MisterSpo 's write-up - I see it as proof that they have some beefy things for the near future, and as such can afford to be more discerning with what gets into a Direct.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if next week is an AC-only direct, or something similarly pattern-breaking.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"even though fans have been wanting a general direct for quite long" - which fans? You specifically? A bunch of us on a message board who don't actually represent their mass market? A Pokemon direct announcing DLC for their new record breaking Pokemon games is a huge deal that will prolong the legs of those games by a ton.

"another game specific direct"- this Smash video was never presented as a Direct. It's the same video Sakurai has done for every DLC character, none of those were Directs. It's your fault alone if you expected something more out of it.

And again, Wii U era Nintendo was extremely Direct happy. This lack of general Directs is completely opposite to their approach during the Wii U era. I can't even begin to understand how you think it's similar.

Nintendo has no reason to cater specifically to the dozens of us who are rabidly hungry for news regardless of timing or marketing or whatever. They will announce their 2020 games when they feel it is the best time to do so, just like they did in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

If you got it, flaunt it baby.
Not just me. Look on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, gaming forums. The majority of fans want a general direct.

This smash video had a bad timing specifically, because fans have been asking for a general direct and were letdown by the announcement of the pokemon direct. And then they announced another game specific direct. That's just not very clever from a PR standpoint. As a company, you want to satisfy your fans.

It's similar to the Wii U in terms of disappointment and stupid PR moves.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Smash DLC 2 being stretched to 2021 means they might get a break for a while.
I think we might see the first character in E3 Direct.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not that much into Smash but I can't help being happy for the fans of that game. Must be great to get so much dedicated support and a director who clearly is so passionate about his game. I wish more games were like that. So even though I crave for a general direct I'm okay with waiting longer. Let them have fun.
Good stuff is coming, we just don't know what yet.
This is a good take. I can't have the same take since I love Smash and Pokémon lol. Like we know Nintendo wasn't going to announce anything for February in a January direct. March we already know what's coming with Pokémon and AC. So it's really April and beyond is a mystery. Nintendo can afford to wait for the early February direct to talk about April and beyond.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Not just me. Look on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, gaming forums. The majority of fans want a general direct.

This smash video had a bad timing specifically, because fans have been asking for a general direct and were letdown by the announcement of the pokemon direct. And then they announced another game specific direct. That's just not very clever from a PR standpoint. As a company, you want to satisfy your fans.

Do you realize how entitled you sound?

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

But after all that whenever they announce the General Direct it will all be fine and everyone will forget their disappointment

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm in an odd spot now. Since we most likely will get only a February direct until E3 I was expecting Nintendo to drop one more trailer of BotW 2 before E3 to announce it's the big holiday 2020 game. I thought maybe they could do a April direct and they'd say it there. Not looking likely.

This direct will tell us what's the big holiday game because we always know before E3. Either they announce a big brand new 3D Mario game or they don't. If they don't then it confirms BotW 2 will be the big holiday 2020 game. I would still expect a trailer in the direct to confirm it though, but if they don't it's fine. It comes down to if they announce a new 3D Mario team game or not and that will tell me what the big holiday game is.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019

If no other Directs come after this I'll agree with you.

But if they are planning multiple specific Directs leading up to a huge General Direct then we will all look back and say "That was genius on Nintendo's part!"

They will have kept up discussion and hype for weeks on end.

You only feel it is a failure in marketing because we haven't seen the whole plan yet.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If no other Directs come after this I'll agree with you.

But if they are planning multiple specific Directs leading up to a huge General Direct then we will all look back and say "That was genius on Nintendo's part!"

They will have kept up discussion and hype for weeks on end.

You only feel it is a failure in marketing because we haven't seen the whole plan yet.
I mean, yeah that could be true.

I hope it is. But right now it feels so disappointing :(

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I can't wait to come back to these posts for laughs when we have BOTW2, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Metroid V, Bayonetta 3, and Mario Kart 9 at this time next year.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is a good take. I can't have the same take since I love Smash and Pokémon lol. Like we know Nintendo wasn't going to announce anything for February in a January direct. March we already know what's coming with Pokémon and AC. So it's really April and beyond is a mystery. Nintendo can afford to wait for the early February direct to talk about April and beyond.

Whilst Nintendo can afford it, it just seems weird that Nintendo has nothing to even suggest what their H2 2020 lineup is going to be. Sure it could include BotW2 and Bayonetta but we just don't know, and for a console at this stage in its lifespan which relies much more heavily on 1st-party content then any of its competitors that's really strange.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was laughing so hard when I saw like the first few seconds of the Smash reveal. I was like "omg it's Fire Emblem, people are going to be pissed off!"

Then I started watching the like/dislike bar. The presentation started with like 200 dislikes I believe. Once Byleth was announced it kept climbing and by the end it was over 20,000 dislikes.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah that could be true.

I hope it is. But right now it feels so disappointing :(
Again, I'm going to say this because it's so important. Fans love directs yes. We love them so much we think that Nintendo not doing one when we want is because THEY don't want to.

But the thing is Nintendo WANTS to do General Directs. That is their biggest marketing tool, easily. They own the gaming press for days after, and they have all eyes on literally whatever they choose to show. A general direct early this year is a matter of when, not if.

Everything they've shown so far isn't a sign that a General Direct is not coming. It's a sign of what they don't feel they need to show in one. The last waves of two Expansion Passes (Smash and FE) that got shown today don't need to be in a Direct. Most people who wanted to buy those already did, they need no more big promotion that a general direct would bring, they just need to get the info to the fans that want to know about it. Separating these announcements also allows them to keep the hype going.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was laughing so hard when I saw like the first few seconds of the Smash reveal. I was like "omg it's Fire Emblem, people are going to be pissed off!"

Then I started watching the like/dislike bar. The presentation started with like 200 dislikes I believe. Once Byleth was announced it kept climbing and by the end it was over 20,000 dislikes.
Hehe, yes that was quite funny!

Good thing that Sakurai was in a good mood !

Again, I'm going to say this because it's so important. Fans love directs yes. We love them so much we think that Nintendo not doing one when we want is because THEY don't want to.

But the thing is Nintendo WANTS to do General Directs. That is their biggest marketing tool, easily. They own the gaming press for days after, and they have all eyes on literally whatever they choose to show. A general direct early this year is a matter of when, not if.

Everything they've shown so far isn't a sign that a General Direct is not coming. It's a sign of what they aren't showing in one. The last waves of two Expansion Passes (Smash and FE) that got shown today don't need to be in a Direct. Most people who wanted to buy those already did.

That's definately true. All in all, it's just a marketing tool.

It's great that they want to offload the Smash/PKMN content into another direct, but don't you think that with the new fighters announcements, they kinda do the opposite now? I bet the next direct will feature another fighter and a gameplay introduction too...

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Yeah, fans are pissed. If anything good comes out of that, it'll probably cause Nintendo to reveal the next fighter ASAP.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019

Everything they've shown so far isn't a sign that a General Direct is not coming. It's a sign of what they aren't showing in one. The last waves of two Expansion Passes (Smash and FE) that got shown today don't need to be in a Direct. Most people who wanted to buy those already did.

This is the clear headed way to view these past few weeks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zippo has to be careful with his posts. There was definitely confusion (it might've been cleared up later). With the whole smash character being kind of closely related to Nintendo, but it doesn't need Nintendo. Fire Emblem is Nintendo no matter it's co with IS.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Zippo has to be careful with his posts. There was definitely confusion (it might've been cleared up later). With the whole smash character being kind of closely related to Nintendo, but it doesn't need Nintendo. Fire Emblem is Nintendo no matter it's co with IS.
Yeah I'd like to hear what he thinks, maybe he thinks the info just ended up being wrong. He didn't seem super confident in that bit of info

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Nintendo Has No Games, or The Darkest Timeline We Are Living Through:
- December 10th, 2019: Nintendo gives a spotlight to indie developers, who've found great success on Switch. Particularly noteworthy are announcements of sequels to critically acclaimed indie games, coming to Switch first in 2020: Axiom Verge 2 and Sports Story. Fears mount that Nintendo is doomed.

- December 13th, 2019: in a move that confuses, saddens and infuriates fans everywhere, Nintendo confirms a new third-party exclusive for Switch in 2020 (Bravely Default 2) and gives the spotlight to another third-party exclusive, No More Heroes 3, the next entry in a cult classic series. Michael Pachter announces that he believes Nintendo is doomed.

- Nintendo don't announce anything during the festive season, globally. On holiday in the jungles of Samoa, a recently-retired Reggie Fils-Aime allows himself a moment of silent grief, and resolves to head off the beaten path. Reggie is never seen again. In later years, Samoan tribes will tell tales of a mysterious, powerful entity deep within the mountains of the Saruwaged Range, whose body is said to always be ready. Nintendo is definitely doomed.

- January 9th, 2020: Nintendo and Game Freak confirm that a remake of the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles will launch in March 2020, further demonstrating that Nintendo have no plans to launch games in 2020 - especially because a new entry in the highly popular Animal Crossing series will also launch in that same month, developed by Nintendo EPD, one of the finest game development houses in the world. Furthermore, Nintendo and Game Freak move to a slightly less questionable business model for their repeatedly globally popular franchise Pokemon, by confirming two significant expansions for 2020 and an end to iterative, full-price 'third versions'. Riots break out in major cities. Satoru Shibata gathers his various costumes together, reminisces about happier times of frequent Directs padded with nonsense filler, an absence of third-party support and low-quality Nintendo titles such as Amiibo Festival, and heads deep into the Samoan jungle to find Reggie. Given Nintendo are now announcing expansions and remakes rather than games, we can see that Nintendo is indeed doomed.

- January 16th, 2020: In a highly questionable and bizarre move, Super Smash Bros series director and long-time Fire Emblem fan Masahiro Sakurai confirms that the latest character joining Nintendo's best-selling Super Smash Bros Ultimate is Byleth, from the Fire Emblem franchise (a series which has recently become rejuvenated). Sakurai further confirms even more expansion content for Smash Ultimate - six fighters will launch by December 2021, demonstrating an alarming commitment to long-term support from Nintendo for their critically-acclaimed, best-selling fighting game. As the Direct finishes, Nintendo show a brief trailer that confirms the story expansion for the critically acclaimed, fastest-selling Fire Emblem yet (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) will launch in February 2020, meaning that some sort of Nintendo content is planned for each month of the opening calendar quarter of the year. Nintendo are so deeply, sadly doomed.

These alarming developments result in the Earth's magnetic field being bombarded by particles from outer space. Unbeknownst to much of the human race, the sorely-missed and much-loved Satoru Iwata, now a celestial being living in a higher place of existence where his mad coding abilities and sharp three piece suits are properly appreciated, uses his great powers to commune with Switch owners around the world. The global aurora generated by Iwata's spirit particles is interpreted by the uninitiated as a fancy light-show, but this worldwide aurora is something else entirely.

The 50 million Switch owners see the global aurora - but they also hear something, deep within their soul:

"Please understand".

And they do understand. One by one 50 million Switch owners understand and they head to the coast. One by one 50 million Switch owners fling their Switch consoles into the sea, praying that the oceanic depths will destory these consoles; this machine that has no support in 2020. The news that Nintendo will offer expansions for their most beloved and popular games, that the brains behind popular and beloved games like Axiom Verge and Golf Story will launch their sequels on Switch, the news that third-party exclusives Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3 will launch on Switch in 2020, the March launch of the highly popular, EPD-developed Animal Crossing is understood as the One True News:

There are no games in 2020. Switch support is worse than Wii U support. We are in the Darkest Timeline. Nintendo is doomed. We understand.

February 6th, 2020: 50 million Switch consoles come to rest at the bottom of the ocean. Nintendo broadcast a Nintendo Direct.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Now imagine if the smash news was on that " general direct, '"it would get the most attention, and it's loud noises would make everything else very tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.