• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think Mario Maker, Pokemon and Fire Emblem will all get news before E3, but they'll be more separate press things.

That Fire Emblem expo is in a few weeks, there will be a blowout there.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MUA3 gets a release date, box art and characters announced.
Smash gets a slew of updates.
On the same day via social media with no mention of Mortal Kombat.

I don't think we're getting a Direct this month. Reminds me of late last year, very early this year with Metroid compared to now with AC.

I'm worried Animal Crossing is getting delayed.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
lol,
It's great tho, we're getting it tomorrow.

We might get random trailers for Mario Maker 2 or even a Astral Chain.
Which is fun imo
Nah, Smash has always had its own presentations.

I'm kinda shocked this is seen as a surprise to some of y'all. This is basically just a Smash mini-Direct in everything but name.

Not only that, it means nothing with regards to a general direct. I don't think we'll get one til E3 though. At most a mini.

Mario Maker could get something like this, though. That I can admit. Astral Chain surely would need a direct to give it a boost in viewership.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Other than the lack of information on LM3/LA/AC, the information on Smash, MUA3, Mario Tennis 3.0, BotW/SMO LABO compatibility and so on are basically Direct level announcements. SMM2 marketing will likely start next month as well as there probably being an update on SwSh and FE3H too.
E3's not that far away and it makes sense to blow their load on 2nd half of the year games then, rather than sooner.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I thought Nintendo would want to start the next FY with a bang, it's weird that they have nothing first party announced for May. Perhaps a shadow drop is inbound.

Pikmin 3, SM3DW or another Wii U port would be my guess, if they did one.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I thought Nintendo would want to start the next FY with a bang, it's weird that they have nothing first party announced for May. Perhaps a shadow drop is inbound.

It's pretty obvious MUA3 and/or Fire Emblem were originally supposed to be April/May games and got pushed back slightly. Definitely Fire Emblem was pushed back, because it was originally Spring. Marvel is a guess based on the fact that releasing closer to End Game would make way more sense than July.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's pretty obvious MUA3 and/or Fire Emblem were originally supposed to be April/May games and got pushed back slightly. Definitely Fire Emblem was pushed back. Marvel is a guess based on the fact that releasing closer to End Game would make way more sense than July.

MUA3 is a funny one. I definitely got the sooner rather than later vibe at the initial reveal. I also don't think the game is going to be as big as some anticipate. I know we are the enthusiasts here but I have to believe even the average buyer who knows the different between PS/Xbox/Switch knows the difference between a huge exclusive like Spider-Man and a game like UA3.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
I don't think AC is delayed yet since we're most likely getting a segment at E3. if we see nothing animal crossing related at E3 then we can all panic!

anyway the smash shadow direct was great, can't wait to play as Joker.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I wonder if a Direct was scuttled or rescheduled, or if twitter/trailer info dump days are part of Nintendo's new consumer engagement strategy to try to bridge the gap between Directs. Either way, it's odd how similar this is to what happened in January.
Well there really isn't need for a Direct right now. Super Mario Maker is the only game in need of info and that can be delivered in a ton of different ways. What's the point of learning about, for example, Animal Crossing right now? Game isn't coming out in the next 2 months, so what's the point? There's just not much we need to know.

Mario Maker will be in the hands of press likely in the next month so I really do suspect they're hinging on user generated content for their marketing which I think makes a lot of sense. Website is also updating shortly so we'll no doubt get a press release.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Well there really isn't need for a Direct right now. Super Mario Maker is the only game in need of info and that can be delivered in a ton of different ways. What's the point of learning about, for example, Animal Crossing right now? Game isn't coming out in the next 2 months, so what's the point? There's just not much we need to know.

Mario Maker will be in the hands of press likely in the next month so I really do suspect they're hinging on user generated content for their marketing which I think makes a lot of sense. Website is also updating shortly so we'll no doubt get a press release.
Is a Mario Maker Direct in May not a possibility?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I really do suspect they're hinging on user generated content for their marketing which I think makes a lot of sense.
It really does. My most hype inducing content for Super Mario Maker was it's appearance during the Nintendo World Championships. Just seeing the crazy possibilities and fun that could be had was amazing. Much better than a trailer or Direct info expo.

Apr 21, 2018
MUA3 is a funny one. I definitely got the sooner rather than later vibe at the initial reveal. I also don't think the game is going to be as big as some anticipate. I know we are the enthusiasts here but I have to believe even the average buyer who knows the different between PS/Xbox/Switch knows the difference between a huge exclusive like Spider-Man and a game like UA3.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything huhe out of UA3, but it will probably sell pretty well especially if it's good. The game looks fairly mediocre and at this point but will probably still sell really well. Could really overshadow Fire Emblem on Switch.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's of course possible but is it needed? I personally don't think so
Maybe not a full blown direct, but I could see something similar to the Smash video that dropped today coming. It feels very un-Nintendo to just rely on the press to explain their game for them and I don't see them waiting until week(s) before it launches to do that themselves at E3.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's of course possible but is it needed? I personally don't think so

What can a Direct do that other forms of marketing can't? Is it the most efficient way to sell a user generated game?

I expect something like Smash and 3.0/Joker info. Release a Tweet along with a meaty "mini direct" trailer that goes over the new stuff.

XoF

Apr 15, 2019
What if they're waiting to the investors meeting to talk about some releases? They don't usually do that, but I think Super Mario Maker 2 is coming with a little console...

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
What if they're waiting to the investors meeting to talk about some releases? They don't usually do that, but I think Super Mario Maker 2 is coming with a little console...
It could but what's the logic in announcing them together? They can both launch on the same day without unified details

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have to get something atleast of a Mini Mario Direct shadow drop like we got today with Smash. There's a lot of new things Nintendo will have to explain. Like say there's a World Map where you can place levels. All kinds of buttons and icons and any new modes they'll have to go over. This is a sequel after all and not a port.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone is expecting anything huhe out of UA3, but it will probably sell pretty well especially if it's good. The game looks fairly mediocre and at this point but will probably still sell really well. Could really overshadow Fire Emblem on Switch.
Speak for yourself. I think it looks great. Art-style isn't a problem, better than MUA2 (see below), and the games have always been competent brawlers. It's the perfect Switch game for me; portable loot-based dungeon crawling, then onto the big screen for some local coop.
maxresdefault.jpg

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Speak for yourself. I think it looks great. Art-style isn't a problem, better than MUA2 (see below), and the games have always been competent brawlers. It's the perfect Switch game for me; portable loot-based dungeon crawling, then onto the big screen for some local coop.
maxresdefault.jpg
Horrible.

They look like they all shat themselves.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Horrible.

They look like they all shat themselves.
This is what I'm trying to convey when people call out MUA3's art style... like this is nothing new for the series haha. Not to say it's outstanding, but at least the characters look somewhat human. They also better have more than one unlockable costume per character. Man, looking back at MUA2 it's easy to see why it took us 11 years to get a sequel. That game was just the most low-effort thing ever, which is why MUA3 looks potentially way more appealing to me.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
We dodged a bullet with that Smash announcement.

Practically means Pikmin oriented Direct confirmed for late April.

YEAH.

We still haven't heard about Town, maybe it'll have it own direct.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Now that the Doomguy thing is totally dead, we can speculate freely again. But this E3 is gonna be Chief vs Banjo. I still can't decide which one will close the E3 Direct.

On one corner it's Banjo, literally most requested character ever and an important part of the Nintendo legacy.

On other corner there is Master Chief. Super iconic, up there with Mario, Link, Pacman and Sonic. Plus Halo is one of Sakurai's favorite American series.

what. halo is big but no, not even close to mario and others.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I dont expect Direct or Mini Direct any more until E3,
but what we could still get in next 10 days is Mario Maker 2 Direct and maybe Switch Mini/Pocket announcement (so before quarter results and investitor meeting).

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So far I've bought more on PS4 this year.... but that will change by the end of the year. June through December is just non-stop Switch must-buys.
Last year was PS4 gold standard for me. All in all gaming is overwhelming with quality and quantity since Switch launch.

Luckily I've already preordered and paid most of this year Nintendo games... which is the cause of my bank account crash. They'd better not release Pikmin 4 this year.

Still trying to decide on which Pokémon to go with. Should I stick with my age old "Always the latter".

Oh and I am just kidding about Pikmin 4. I'll take it any day any time anywhere.

And what am I playing now... Final Fantasy VII and Baba is You.

*sigh*

And Town, we need Town

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The last Nintendo financials they announced Dr. Mario World coming to mobile. Some things I wonder if we'll get info on.

-VR for Nintendo
-Dr. Mario World update
-E3 plans officially revealed
-Nintendo Switch Mini and/or Pro announcement
-New mobile game announcement

Of course we'll get updated sales which I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still leading Switch sales.

I think minimal chances are that they will announced Nintendo Switch Mini and/or Pro announcement at Nintendo financials,
but we could have announcement some day before Nintendo financials and then they further talk at financials.

This looks like an awful lot of Persona fanservice for a platform that doesn't have a Persona game though. Curious to see what's getting announced at the Persona concert.

This, I still had hard time accepting all this Persona fan service if there is nothing Persona related coming to Switch.

Pikmin 3, SM3DW or another Wii U port would be my guess, if they did one.

Well Labo VR is just released.
And Mario Maker 2 is June release, that still Q1 of this FY.

Saying that Pikmin 3 or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD would be perfect May release, but now seems too late for that..
SM3DW would be very strange because we had NSMUB in January and we will have Mario Maker 2 in June, I could see SM3DW release at beginning of next year.

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Call it Direct or video presentation, Mario Maker 2 needs a blowout way before E3. After it they can focus on its promotional campaign, which I'm sure will feature youtubers and such. Media previews should be coming in a few weeks too. As I said before, my guess is they're waiting to announce the revision first and later MM2 details as they'll probably announce the bundles then. I'd be weird if Nintendo had a revision coming this year and didn't release with it its 2nd or 3rd biggest game of the year. Considering the kind of game it'll probably be (multiplayer focused) and the games coming in summer (MUA3, Astral Chain) I've got a feeling they'll bundle it with the premium model while they'll keep the cheaper casual one for Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
What if they are holding off on a full reveal for Town until the same Direct where DLC Figher 5 is announced.....

Or maybe that's hoping for too much and Townsperson will be the lead newcomer for Smash 6.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Joker dropping today instead of at the Persona Concert pretty much confirms to me Switch isn't getting Persona 5 ever.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
I said before they dont need a direct, especially since we know persona isnt coming now

• Announce third party games as normal in small videos or let them announce games themselves
  • Have seperate videos for smash reveal or more involved games
E3 should reveal a new smash character, the three remaining first party games and a ton of good third party stuff

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Joker dropping today instead of at the Persona Concert pretty much confirms to me Switch isn't getting Persona 5 ever.

I dont see how that can be confirmation of anything, especially that Switch will never get Persona 5.

Concert is on 25. April right? Same week and day like Nintendo quarter results and investor meeting,
Nintendo doesnt release games, DLCs (or even rearly big game) news in same week with quarter results because they don't want that sells numbers overshadow their release.

Status
Not open for further replies.