• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

3rdDimension

Oct 31, 2017
This seems more like an action to "protect" the brand and what it stands for.

I would not be surprised if this has something to do with the Nintendo brand being associated with the sensitive subject of Etika's passing.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably just the trademarked terms and logos is at issue... A company has to defend these rights, or else they lose the right to protect it (i.e. a company might be allowed to break trademark if they can show that Nintendo knew of their use of a product and opted not to take action).

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The word joycon on the right one is most likely the reason why.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, probably just the trademarked terms and logos is at issue... A company has to defend these rights, or else they lose the right to protect it (i.e. a company might be allowed to break trademark if they can show that Nintendo knew of their use of a product and opted not to take action).
It's a bit weird to me in this case because they're not some third-party controller manufacturer piggybacking off the Switch logo and Joy-Con name. They're actual Joy-Cons.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the issue is that they are repurposing actual JoyCons and reselling them? Wonder if they could pivot to just creating joy con vinyl skins and carry on that way.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's obligation to protect a right it may later seek to enforce does not require it to go after every single group that uses their trademark. Many other companies are far less "vigilant" (I'd call it petty) than Nintendo and yet have not had any trouble enforcing their property rights when they feel they need to. Accordingly, it's not a defence of Nintendo's behavior to raise this because their interpretation of what the law requires them to do - this assumes that you should take them at their word that they actually believe this, which I don't - is way out of whack with reality.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Wait, I think there's more to the story here. As others have said, you can buy custom Joy-Cons from many places. I've bought some from Colorware and Controller Chaos for example.

I believe the person that made these Joy-Cons is @Cptn_Alex on Twitter, based on the profile pic from the image. He recently was contacted by Nintendo to stop his custom work because he did an Indiegogo campaign called the Pro Controller Project where he painted controllers for each Smash Bros character and sold them. I of course don't know exactly what Nintendo told him, but I think he's not selling any custom Nintendo stuff because of that incident.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it's a trademarked term or logo problem, since ya know scalpers exist. Otherwise Sony and MS would be shutting down ebay and stockx in an instant. How would anyone sell used games?

I'm not a legal expert by any means, but it really seems like first sale doctrine applies here if these are real Joycons that are getting resold.

Wait, I think there's more to the story here. As others have said, you can buy custom Joy-Cons from many places. I've bought some from Colorware and Controller Chaos for example.

I believe the person that made these Joy-Cons is @Cptn_Alex on Twitter, based on the profile pic from the image. He recently was contacted by Nintendo to stop his custom work because he did an Indiegogo campaign called the Pro Controller Project where he painted controllers for each Smash Bros character and sold them. I of course don't know exactly what Nintendo told him, but I think he's not selling any custom Nintendo stuff because of that incident.
Yeah, I could see how adding Nintendo IP characters to the Joy-Cons without permission would cause an issue.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I eagerly await the slow roll of posters coming in to tell us how this is completely justified because of... Idk they heard Melee players smell bad in 2009 and never could quite let it go
I'm waiting for the slow roll of posters who actually have a grip on reality.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
It seems Nintendo don't differentiate between these type of things, all copyright infringement gets smashed down the same way.

The popularity of these custom joycons is likely why they have been hit before others.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's unfortunate but you can't sell unlicensed products and use Nintendo's trade marks. Yes there are tons of people who make customs and I'm sure Nintendo slowly goes thru them. Companies go after random ones all the times to prove that they can.

Not saying it's right but legally you can't sell and use others trademarks

Oct 26, 2017
This is quite interesting because it is kind of hypocritical to go after these companies and yet don't target others that sell joy-con skins or joy-con shells.

I'm not saying this should give Nintendo more ammo, but I'm saying that I don't get the logic of going after one and disregarding the other.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo deserves a failure worse than the Wii U with their next console.

their arrogance is rising faster than their sales records.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
It's unfortunate but you can't sell unlicensed products and use Nintendo's trade marks. Yes there are tons of people who make customs and I'm sure Nintendo slowly goes thru them. Companies go after random ones all the times to prove that they can.

Not saying it's right but legally you can't sell and use others trademarks
If I buy a bottle of coca-cola from the grocery store, I'm allowed to later sell it to my friend. I can even scribble on it and sell it for a considerable markup.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Can they really stop replacement shells from being produced? Replacement shells for pretty much every handheld have been made. See PSP, Gameboy Pocket, Color etc....

This is a shitty look for Nintendo. They should be happy people are buying new joycons, as they are just replacing the external (not internals) of the joycons.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
It's really weird that they go after this one seller, out of all the joy-con sellers out there.

Though to be honest, if it weren't for the recent controversies surrounding the Melee and Splatoon competitive events, I'm not sure this would have blown up as much as it has. Nintendo does its fair share of stupid not consumer friendly decisions. Though it seems at times people love to take these decisions and make grand statements about how "evil" they are now. It's a bit hyperbolic.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I buy a bottle of coca-cola from the grocery store, I'm allowed to later sell it to my friend. I can even scribble on it and sell it for a considerable markup.
You can technically sell whatever you want. You can't advertise selling things and use other people's trade marks though.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
This is quite interesting because it is kind of hypocritical to go after these companies and yet don't target others that sell joy-con skins or joy-con shells.

I'm not saying this should give Nintendo more ammo, but I'm saying that I don't get the logic of going after one and disregarding the other.

Depends on those that hit their radar first, as I said in my other post .... these particular items may have been more popular / getting attention and this brought it to Nintendo's attention before others.

I maybe wrong and Nintendo are being malicious but I highly doubt it, they attack copyright infringement like whack a mole .... one with its head up highest gets hit first.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's really weird that they go after this one seller, out of all the joy-con sellers out there.

Though to be honest, if it weren't for the recent controversies surrounding the Melee and Splatoon competitive events, I'm not sure this would have blown up as much as it has. Nintendo does its fair share of stupid not consumer friendly decisions. Though it seems at times people love to take these decisions and make grand statements about how "evil" they are now. It's a bit hyperbolic.
It's evil but they often just pick up the occasional person breaking the law as it usually has a trickle effect with others not wanting to risk it.

Like I guarantee the thing is like we go after someone selling for charity, and that will make people stop as we have shown we are willing to go after anyone

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I thought one of the big things here is you were buying full joycons that have been customized, not just skins or shells that the consumer applies themselves.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Because dude's selling Joycons outside of official channels? Couldn't they have just sold the custom shells or charged for the service of replacing the shells? Seems like an obvious line they crossed
Yeah, they should have definitely sold the customization service instead of selling joycons or even customized shells, as even selling those could get them into trouble without proper licensing as Nintendo owns that design.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
You can technically sell whatever you want. You can't advertise selling things and use other people's trade marks though.
I can't "technically sell whatever I want", but I definitely can sell my custom cokes and I can advertise it on twitter, logo and all, without violating any copyright.

Just because Nintendo claims they have a basis in law to tell them to stop does not mean they actually have a basis in law to tell them to stop.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Saw this earlier. Nintendo is fucking scummy. They've really been showing their ass in the past few months about how little they care about anything other than money. They're obviously a corporation so that makes sense but it's absurd that people will cape for a company that constantly pulls shit like this.

Sony & it's fanboys do the same thing with PlayStation. Let's not make everything one-sided.

Plus all companies are in this business for the money no matter who you support.

Last edited:

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
It's evil but they often just pick up the occasional person breaking the law as it usually has a trickle effect with others not wanting to risk it.

Like I guarantee the thing is like we go after someone selling for charity, and that will make people stop as we have shown we are willing to go after anyone
Oh yeah, this decision isn't anything to cheer. I was just commenting on the emotionally charged language people like to sling around when they're criticizing Nintendo's decisions.

Oct 26, 2017
If you want Nintendo, please buy used.

This take makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand how you can say "don't buy from x, buy used instead." You're not really making any kind of difference with that stance. If you're going to boycott, then don't half-ass it.

Depends on those that hit their radar first, as I said in my other post .... these particular items may have been more popular / getting attention and this brought it to Nintendo's attention before others.

I maybe wrong and Nintendo are being malicious but I highly doubt it, they attack copyright infringement like whack a mole .... one with its head up highest gets hit first.

One of the first examples I can think of is dbrand's controversial Animal Crossing skin, since it quite clearly uses the copyright of Animal Crossing characters and mimics the design of the limited edition Switch. Yet, Nintendo didn't go after that. There are also custom Joy-Con shells that mimic designs of Nintendo's retro consoles, or Nintendo IP, and that didn't get struck down either. It's also quite popular for those who want to customize their own hardware. So Nintendo's stance here doesn't really make any sense.

I thought one of the big things here is you were buying full joycons that have been customized, not just skins or shells that the consumer applies themselves.

That's true but there are joy-con skins and shells that use Nintendo's IP, and I have not seen them get taken down despite the legitimate argument that they are using IP without their permission.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
This. It's absurd how Nintendo's the bad guy just because someone wants to sell a copyrighted, unlicensed product.

NiNtEnDo CaN't Be The BaD GuY Duhh!, yOu KnOw tHeY aRe oNlY TaRgeting tHe PeRson because reasons.

can't you see that they are targeting the only person that is forwarding the funds to charities and mental health help. Like Jesus fucking Christ.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
This take makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand how you can say "don't buy from x, buy used instead." You're not really making any kind of difference with that stance. If you're going to boycott, then don't half-ass it.

One of the first examples I can think of is dbrand's controversial Animal Crossing skin, since it quite clearly uses the copyright of Animal Crossing characters and mimics the design of the limited edition Switch. Yet, Nintendo didn't go after that. There are also custom Joy-Con shells that mimic designs of Nintendo's retro consoles, or Nintendo IP, and that didn't get struck down either. It's also quite popular for those who want to customize their own hardware. So Nintendo's stance here doesn't really make any sense.

That's true but there are joy-con skins and shells that use Nintendo's IP, and I have not seen them get taken down despite the legitimate argument that they are using IP without their permission.

That's fair enough, I have not followed any of these other examples closely and will bow to your greater knowledge. I am just trying to look at it with an outsiders eye with no skin in the game so to speak.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, you're right, but I'm mostly sure that this kind of actions will not stop people from buying Nintendo products, buying second handed products will help only to the person who are selling the product, not Nintendo, but maybe I'm wrong with that.
Because if you are standing up for something for moral reasons, finding ways to still use the companies products and not supporting them is kind of half assing it. You either support them or you don't.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
NiNtEnDo CaN't Be The BaD GuY Duhh!, yOu KnOw tHeY aRe oNlY TaRgeting tHe PeRson because reasons.

can't you see that they are targeting the only person that is forwarding the funds to charities and mental health help. Like Jesus fucking Christ.

Not even surprising any more. We live in a world where ticking legal boxes is more important than letting people avoid catching a deadly virus and users will gleefully defend Nintendo while using the equivalent of a #metoo movement in an attempt to justify it. Im 99% certain some people on this site would not actually care who gets fucked over as long as they get their 2 cents in.

The dialog here has already shifted to criticizing boycott methods so its pretty clear where their heads are at.

Oct 25, 2017
Duh? You can't sell Nintendo products like that if they're not licensed.

Same reason they went after a person selling controllers with custom skins. You can't do that.

They won't stop a private sale (you know, like any used product), but these were clearly advertised as a "business", no matter how small or the cause.
Because dude's selling Joycons outside of official channels? Couldn't they have just sold the custom shells or charged for the service of replacing the shells? Seems like an obvious line they crossed
This is not how this works. First-sale doctrine covers this; once someone has sold a product, they can't control what you do with it. As much as many corporations would like to extinguish it, and despite the inroads they've made via licensing bullcrap, it's still dominant.

I'm still not convinced the "companies have to defend their trademarks/copyright" thing is real. Sega has said outright that making Sonic fangames is okay, so clearly that law is a lot more flexible than companies would have you believe.
It is real, but it only applies to trademarks, not copyright. There are also a number of legitimate ways to use a trademark without a license. Using a trademark descriptively or for the sake of comparison is one of those, e.g. if you are a reseller of Intel CORE i7s you can describe them as Intel CORE i7s despite that being an unlicensed use of multiple trademarks. Similarly, you could sell an off-brand Joycon charger as Joycon compatible.
The trick with Sonic fan games thing is that giving permission still protects your mark. If you formalize it like with Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules you're in an excellent situation legally.

It's petty.
But remove the logos are carry on.
This is the appropriate response and the main legal issue here. The Switch logo is trademarked. The logo wasn't already present on the shells and just left alone. They have incorporated the Nintendo Switch logo into their own logo. If Nintendo failed to go after them for this, it could potentially come into play if someone uses the Switch logo on a commercial product in the future and Nintendo sues them.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you're right, but I'm mostly sure that this kind of actions will not stop people from buying Nintendo products, buying second handed products will help only to the person who are selling the product, not Nintendo, but maybe I'm wrong with that.

That's only true to an extent. If you're buying secondhand, then the person gets your money, but you've effectively replaced that person as the one who bought Nintendo's product. So Nintendo sees you as someone who paid for their JoyCons/Switch/etc. Ergo, you made no difference because no money was lost on their end. Would they have preferred that you buy new product? Sure, but again, the alternative of buying used didn't hurt them anyway.

That's why in the case of boycott, go full measure or you're just wasting your time and undermining your own morality.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is truly developing in the video game version of Disney in alarmingly obvious ways.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
JoyCon is a trademark, the JoyCon symbols are trademarked, and Nintendo's been making the rounds again smacking unlicensed sellers. I think it's an unfortunate coincidence, but ultimately a dumb move on their part.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not convinced the "companies have to defend their trademarks/copyright" thing is real. Sega has said outright that making Sonic fangames is okay, so clearly that law is a lot more flexible than companies would have you believe.

The only issue from a legal point of view for trademarks where not protecting a trademark can result in loss of the trademark is genericide which is basically when a brand becomes so intertwined with the type of product that it is common for competing products to be referred to that as well. This only happens in extreme cases, such as with terms like aspirin, dry ice, flip phone, and trampoline which were all originally trademarked. I see no foreseeable way that could ever going to happen with Sonic. With Joycons it could possibly happen if companies were selling joycon similar controllers for PC or PS4 or something and calling them Joycons. But these are joycons so I don't think that would be an issue. In general corporations do want to protect their trademarks to the greatest extent possible but not because they're worried about losing them if they don't. More so because not doing so diminishes the value of the trademark which is considered an asset and in effect essentially means they're losing money. Some companies may do the calculation and decide that the good will from allowing some freedom is worth it in the long run, which is probably what SEGA did with allowing non-profit Sonic fan games. Nintendo decided allowing certain customized Joycon sellers would not be worth it, and thus they're shutting them down.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This is the appropriate response and the main legal issue here. The Switch logo is trademarked. The logo wasn't already present on the shells and just left alone. They have incorporated the Nintendo Switch logo into their own logo. If Nintendo failed to go after them for this, it could potentially come into play if someone uses the Switch logo on a commercial product in the future and Nintendo sues them.

If this were true then why have they not gone after the tons of skins and shells that actually use their IP? In fact, Nintendo has a history of extremely detailed trademarking when it comes to the shape and design of their controllers. So theoretically, they could argue that all shells (regardless of logo use, although there are some that actually uses Nintendo's IP as part of the design. See: Retro shells, or character-specific shells) are infringing on their trademark if they want to. And yet, they don't.

I see this as very hypocritical on Nintendo's part, especially considering that the JoyCon Boys were contributing to charity. So it's not even driven by profit anyway.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How many custom joy-cons that they've asked to be not sold anymore?

I understand that this is probably related to their hands off from Smash community stance. But can't they at least see the context in this one?

They don't care about context. They don't want other people reselling/modifying their stuff/trademarks/IP.

There is zero chance they are aware of this but not Etsy lmao

You can get anything on Etsy. I think IP holders just don't have the patience to play whack-a-mole with it.

Nintendo gets worse every day.

Nintendo's been doing the exact same thing for decades. I don't understand how people are still surprised/think they'll be the exception. Like, yeah, it's shitty Nintendo is removing this charity thing, but come on people it's like you keep slipping on the same banana peel and act like it's the first time. Stop walking in that direction.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Why not work with them to come up with a solution? You telling me that Nintendo is so busy that they cant have someone look into seeing if this is something they maybe might feel like its worth supporting and figure out how to come to an agreement over vs just shutting that shitdown cause "rulez!"?