• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
A bit surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. Searched but nothing. Anywho...

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen-593c7cc83df78c537b4d23a1.jpg

Thanks Nintendo for making this little gem of a handheld. The road was rocky but it ended up with one of the best software libraries.

What is your favorite game for the 3DS? Most played game?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's been 10 years already?? Time sure flies, wow!

What a cool little machine it was/is. FE Awakening, MH3U/4U/G, a lot of Atlus goodness... So nice!

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Still have mine. The 3D wasn't a hit in every game, but when it was done well it was great. Ended up buying 4 different versions of this. Nintendo had me hook line and sinker lol

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the lead up to the reveal. An interesting platform that was released at a strange time for Nintendo and the industry.
Despite beating the competition it was always treated as a dying breed with the sword of damocles hanging over it.

Lots of great games though. 3D Land, A link Between Worlds, MH4, were some of the most fun I've had gaming that gen.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Man... it feels weird knowing that the 3DS has been around for over half of my life. Still doesn't feel like that long ago that I got one for Christmas.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
System ended up punching way above its weight class considering its hardware and the launch. One of the best systems ever. Street Pass was so dope.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Got the blue day 1 and loved it. Still one of my favourite handhelds and played with 3D one 99% of the time.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
The little system that could! I didn't care much for the 3D effect but it built up a stellar library to complement the DS one.

Not sure what my most played game was. I remember a lot of dabbling around with various RPGs but never really completing many of them unfortunately. Of the games I completed it's probably Animal Crossing or KH 3D.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've got so many favourite games on it, it was my main system for a good 7 years. Probably Monster Hunter 4.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The 3DS ended up being a great system for me, with a surprisingly varied and deep library <3

While I didn't love the OG 3DS, I sure loved my red XL. And all that despite not even being able to take advantage of the 3D effect as I can't even see it.

And yeah, I do miss SpotPass!

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
While it is an ok system on its own it is still a pretty big disappointment as a follow-up to the original ds. whereas with the ds it felt like the games were great because of the hardware, using all the new features of it, with the 3ds it mostly felt like the games were great despite the hardware, with most of the features being forgotten a year after release.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
It's been 10 years already?! I'll be damned. I remember saving up for it for months only for them to cut its price the very next day I bought it.. I'm honestly still salty about it, lol. I believe it's the only system I've ever bought a second enhanced model of despite playing the less on, well, the second one was mainly for Xenoblade; now that I thought about it, did Nintendo actually scammed me twice! I mean there were barely any exclusives, smh

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
The 3D effect is still magic! Playing the 3D Classics is an amazing experience. Sure, Sonic 1 may have its definitive edition on mobile, but man, the 3DS enhanced version feels ALIVE, like an actual diorama. I've also just started Shin Megami Tensei IV so godspeed little one, you may be dead but I still love you lots.

(also remember the Cube Ninja madness? And how the scene went BATSHIT when Retroarch was ported? So much feels...)

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
Impressive system.

I might be in the minority, but the 3D effect was absolutely incredible. A strong selling point that wasn't fully exploited in all its glory, unfortunately.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Great system, although not as great a library as the original DS for me. Still, I bought both a PAL and NTSC-J system and the library was varied enough to keep me interested throughout its life. Loved the 3D effect too.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Loved mine, got 5 3DS systems, OG blue Japanese import, OG black UK, Mario LTD I won from Nintendo, Grey XL and Majoras Mask N3DS XL. I boot it up once in a while and the 3D effect still wows me!

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Got it launch day at the flagship Toys R Us in NYC. Man, how times have changed in just 10 short years... Getting old sucks, lol.

I was never super into the 3DS. My favorite games for the system came much later in its life, like Planet Robobot a year before the Switch launched, WarioWare a year AFTER the Switch launched, and Rhythm Tengoku which took a few years for it to come out.

However, I still really enjoyed my time with the system overall, and I still go back to it from time to time for various things, like Flipnote Studio.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I still remember getting mine for my birthday in 2011 with Ocarina of Time 3D and going 'holy shit' when I turned the 3D on for the first time. Literally felt like I could just reach in and grab stuff in the game world.

Used that damn thing literally every day, although I'm pretty sure the most played software on it was the damn music player since I didn't have a phone or mp3 player back then, so I just stuck my mp3s on the 3DS SD card and listened to them via that. Also remember having to use the web browser for a few weeks since my laptop broke and we were on vacation at the time lmao.

Still occasionally use mine too, although I've since gotten a New 3DS XL (since my OG model quite literally broke in two thanks to a broken hinge and an unfortunate drop while I was holding it) that I've homebrewed up. Let me tell y'all, a homebrewed New 3DS is pretty great.

Also did anyone else who went from a DS Lite to the original 3DS have instances of muscle memory fucking you up because the power button was where the start/select buttons were on the DS Lite and the switch to turn on and off wireless was where the power slider was on the DS Lite, or was that just me and my dumb ass?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It gave us the greatest handheld title of all time which is, of course, Kid Icarus Uprising.
I have a feeling someone hasn't experienced the greatness of Planet Robobot...

Kid Icarus is pretty cool, though. But I guess after coming off of the amazing Sin and Punishment: Star Successor on Wii, which does very similar things but better IMO, I couldn't help but to be a bit disappointed by KI.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't get one until Super Mario 3D Land came out. And man, what a title to show off the system. One of my favorite games of all time that ended up on possibly my favorite handheld of all time. It has a killer library and I still do enjoy the 3D effect to this day.

My model of choice is the N3DS XL, but I also have an OG 3DS, 3DS XL, and a N3DS. And I love each of them. It's the only hardware I rebought 4 times during its lifetime and I regret nothing.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It had many good and great games in my book but it lacked that one true standout game which I will class among the best of the generation. Samus Returns, 3D Land, Kirby games, and Link's Awakening were my personal favs. And of course Street Pass. It was a super fun console to bring with you.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Pulled out my 3DS recently to try out that Majora's Mask mod and was surprised to feel a little nostalgic for it. It's just weird, the feel of the interface and the StreetPass stuff and etc. Kind of a bummer that the Switch is so sterile in comparison, I like the idea of the system itself having a bit of a personality.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that its been 10 years already. It really ended up with a pretty incredible library by the time it was done.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Just booted up my 2DS. I gave 118 hours in Smash 3DS as my #1 most played. It would have also been my favorite but that spot has been taken by Sakura Samurai.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's really only 10 years old? Thing feels ancient. But damn I love it.

Nintendo's handheld libraries are supremely good. It's nuts how much great stuff we get. PC/Nintendo handheld is my truth.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Congrats old geezer!

What a beast of a handheld console it was and what a fantastic libraby. There's still a lot of games I've never played or finished I will return to at some point.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
The 3D effect is still the shit really, especially with the first games when they cranked the parallax to 11 (like Rayman 3D and Pilowings). Hated the later games when it was just like looking at an almost flat image deep in the screen.
Still have my collector Chotto Mario in its box unopened.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It was too iterative on the hardware side and the 3D didn't have a major impact, but I loved it. I somehow own three of them. While it doesn't have the quantity of DS, I think first party offerings are maybe even stronger.

Top ten games:

1. Pokémon XY
2. Animal Crossing New Leaf
3. Super Smash Bros. For 3DS
4. Pokémon Sun/Moon
5. Fire Emblem Awakening
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Yo-Kai Watch 2
8. Bravely Default
9. Kirby Planet Robobot
10. WarioWare Gold

Definitely a lot of titles I could add.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I remember playing with a friend's back then and how I didn't like the aesthetic of it.
I still think the price cut they did was out of left field. And in the end they never gave other people the opportunity of getting the ambassador games.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
That run in 2013 beginning with Fire Emblem Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon XY, Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds really got me back in love with videogames.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I copped from the Nintendo Store on Day 1. The street pass functionality was so cool to me. It really was the height of the "project cafe" philosophy. I miss Miiverse and things like that. I think it was something Nintendo should have kept.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Still play mine and I'll likely never stop. The New 3DS XL is an incredible console.