• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the flower side quests:
can you still use the console clock to "trick" or "cheat" the quests?
You can fiddle with the time zone but you can't actually adjust the clock in the same manner on modern consoles as you could on the 360/PS3. You'll still need to wait for the plants to grow and wither to get seeds during the cross breading process, but you can play with time zones to see what color flower you'll get, then shift the time zone back and rip out flowers that won't crossbreed and replace them with new ones for another chance at crossbreeding occurring.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
A few hours in and already hit the 'oh this is a jrpg' feeling in regards to the sidequests. They just feel like a waste of time. People who have played the original, do they get better? Or at least have some interesting stories around them?

I am having a good time with it apart from that. Music is great ofc.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's an absolute joy to replay this game, a lot of the interactions with characters now feel more natural as Brother Nier, but I do miss Papa Nier. No issues with the OST so far, it's just as beautiful as I remember.

I never completed any side quests in the original, I'm gonna try and get Platinum in this one so picking up every quest I see.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Snow Edition got finally dispatched today, at least we got the mail and status change and the DPS tracking.
Seems it's already in Germany which means it could arrive tomorrow.
Let's see.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few hours in and already hit the 'oh this is a jrpg' feeling in regards to the sidequests. They just feel like a waste of time. People who have played the original, do they get better? Or at least have some interesting stories around them?

The sidequests are your main source of cash so you can buy new weapons, while all of them provide banter between party members.

There is one mandatory sidequest, however, since it gives you a weapon you need. Otherwise they're all completely optional and you do them as you want.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Some of them have really good story bits or party dialogue.

Like there's at least one sidequest pretty early in the game that I still cry about when thinking of it.

Also a lot of them are there to punish completionists. There's one that literally requires about a week real time to complete, unless you alter the time on your console.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You can fiddle with the time zone but you can't actually adjust the clock in the same manner on modern consoles as you could on the 360/PS3. You'll still need to wait for the plants to grow and wither to get seeds during the cross breading process, but you can play with time zones to see what color flower you'll get, then shift the time zone back and rip out flowers that won't crossbreed and replace them with new ones for another chance at crossbreeding occurring.

Ah, bugger. Figures.

Definitely do the lighthouse side quests at least. The storyline for those ones are really good.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Screw it, I preordered and have now stayed up until midnight. Downed a coffee and plan on pulling the first all-nighter I've done in quite a while. LET'S GO!! <3

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The sidequests are your main source of cash so you can buy new weapons, while all of them provide banter between party members.

There is one mandatory sidequest, however, since it gives you a weapon you need. Otherwise they're all completely optional and you do them as you want.
Some of them have really good story bits or party dialogue.

Like there's at least one sidequest pretty early in the game that I still cry about when thinking of it.

Also a lot of them are there to punish completionists. There's one that literally requires about a week real time to complete, unless you alter the time on your console.
Definitely do the lighthouse side quests at least. The storyline for those ones are really good.
Cool, noted. I'll look out for those.

I don't have much tolerance for standard sidequests but I don't wanna miss any decent side-stories either, like I did with Automata.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, no movement in my White Snow edition. Label was created last Friday and thats all. Ups doesnt even have it in hand. So i just bought a digital copy, cant wait to start this tonight.

Without spoilers, could someone tell me when the first half ends? I wanna make sure i do everything for the 100%

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
... I.... seem to have an issue.

The game won't load.

I've been staring at the loading screen (the artwork) for a solid 5 minutes now.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm really confused about the fact that a PS4 and One game comes out in mid 2021 and is in a technical state of 2015/16 where X and Pro weren't a thing without any enhancements at all in 1080p.

I mean even Automata (at least on One X) had enhancements, so what's up with this? 🤔

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
... I.... seem to have an issue.

The game won't load.

I've been staring at the loading screen (the artwork) for a solid 5 minutes now.

PS5? If so I had this at first too, just restarted my PS5 after it wouldn't load and it was fine after that.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
How the PC version end up?
No real consensus yet, better to wait for it to come out. The only PC centric reviews seem to conflict in regards to framerate stuff. One says there's no cap and the logic is tied to it, the other mentions a 60FPS cap. Beyond that, it sounds mostly fine? But I'd say hold off if you're on the fence.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Well, no movement in my White Snow edition. Label was created last Friday and thats all. Ups doesnt even have it in hand. So i just bought a digital copy, cant wait to start this tonight.

Without spoilers, could someone tell me when the first half ends? I wanna make sure i do everything for the 100%

UK here and it got dispatched late night for delivery tomorrow with DPD

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Back in the old forum I hated whoever pumped Nier for me, enough that I actually bought it and heavily disliked it on PS3 after just couple of hours.

Now, after Automata became one of my all time favorites and these initial hours of Replicant?

OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MELODY, DIALOGUES, INTRIGUE. <3

Needless to say, finally, Nier got what it deserved back in the day, a budget to get gamers like me, who weren't ready to sacrifice basic production standard to experience a magnificent story.

Funny how it goes huh, and FFXIII, which was the AAA darling back then that got all of the budget and extra care is now a black sheep of the company.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
There's a few good arrangement, but most music really try to do too much... adding too many instruments or making a music more bombastic doesn't make it better!

I wouldn't have an issue with it if they would let us choose the original soundtrack....

At least they didn't fuck up the village with song of the ancients, and kainé's theme is still good... but damn, most action music are such a downgrade now... And what happened to the lost forest??

I know it's subjective and not everyone will agree on that, but the music were the biggest element of the first one to me, and it just doesn't feel as good with these new ones! At least i know the new tracks (won't be a lot i guess, maybe 2-3) will be done by the original composer, as opposed to the arrangements

-Tom

Aug 11, 2018
Automata is one of my favourite games of the last few years (if not THE favourite), SO excited to get stuck into this over the weekend!

explewd

Nov 1, 2017
Sweden
Funny how it goes huh, and FFXIII, which was the AAA darling back then that got all of the budget and extra care is now a black sheep of the company.

Nier released shortly after FFXIII, Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles. I would argue Nier aged the worst (on a purely technical/graphical level) and at the same time the best on so many other levels compared to those games.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

9-niersidequestchart.png

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I took a brief break from furiously F5ing my email inbox for a bit this evening, and just decided to check again. My White Snow edition was finally dispatched an hour ago, at 11pm. They really wanted to make me sweat!

yeah, no dispatch yet. was charged back in november when another item in the same order was shipped. concerned that there's been an issue as i only paid for one lot of shipping but we'll see. maybe they'll dispatch tomorrow.

Hopefully you've also had a dispatch email since this post!

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So... this is my 1st time pre-ordering on PC/steam. It's already midnight where I'm from but it is still locked? Is this normal?

Edit: Well in the store page it says it will unlock in 16 hours... so basically 4 PM for me... What bs, angry now.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
So... this is my 1st time pre-ordering on PC/steam. It's already midnight where I'm from but it is still locked? Is this normal?

Edit: Well in the store page it says it will unlock in 16 hours... so basically 4 PM for me... What bs, angry now.

Steam version has a worldwide unlock time, it launches in approx 16hrs (I'm Australian so that makes it the 24th for me)

Kh8MuVs.png

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I took a brief break from furiously F5ing my email inbox for a bit this evening, and just decided to check again. My White Snow edition was finally dispatched an hour ago, at 11pm. They really wanted to make me sweat!

Hopefully you've also had a dispatch email since this post!
no luck for me unfortunately! hopefully your copy arrives tomorrow! 😌

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Is this on sale on PS4 anywhere by chance?

Alternatively, any reports on how the PC port is? After Automata's was so bad initially, I'm hesitant...

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is it true that EU versions of the collectors editions ONLY come with a PC-DVD actual disc and no code to redeem the game on steam digitally?

well fuck if it is, i don't have a disc drive lmao.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize the official thread was up. I'll just copy my post:

For those on US PS4/5, anyone else's game unlocks an hour early?

11 pm instead of 12 am. Guessing it's a Daylight savings time thing. lol

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is getting close to the sidequest starts the only way you can see them on the map? And I assume the location of sidequest objectives won't get marked?

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the PS4 theme, avatar's, etc. Are a pre-order bonus specifically? Or do they come in the box? I pre-ordered this today on Amazon but just saw here that it should be $50 at Walmart and wondering if I should change it..

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Wait, is it true that EU versions of the collectors editions ONLY come with a PC-DVD actual disc and no code to redeem the game on steam digitally?

well fuck if it is, i don't have a disc drive lmao.
Don't know but there's a "activate activation key" button in my White Snow Edition order page of the Square Enix store. I didn't dare clicking on it because I don't know what it is.