• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
You sound like the NHL department of player safety. You're supposed to penalize the play, not the results. Not that it ever happens that way.

The results were disastrous but the play was not a 5 minute major.

Yea that cross-check was unnecessary but hardly vicious

Can't believe that decided the series

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Yea that cross-check was unnecessary but hardly vicious

Can't believe that decided the series

The underlying issue is that the CBA only punishes players for outcomes, not dangerous play. So while the cross-check was unnecessary, and the injury was a freak injury (99 times out of 100, he doesn't land on his head), the rulebook says that's worse than a head-hunting hit that misses.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The penalty was too harsh for the infraction, I agree, but that loss is all on Vegas. Even if you get a 5 minute major, there's no way that you should allow 4 straight goals within a span of 4 minutes. And Vegas had a chance to win it in OT but didn't.

That's not even mentioning the fact that they had a 3-1 series lead that they gave up.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
The penalty was too harsh for the infraction, I agree, but that loss is all on Vegas. Even if you get a 5 minute major, there's no way that you should allow 4 straight goals within a span of 4 minutes. And Vegas had a chance to win it in OT but didn't.

That's not even mentioning the fact that they had a 3-1 series lead that they gave up.
THANK YOU!

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think anyone is saying the penalty cost Vegas the series (how can you say that when you blow a 3-1 series lead?). But it still shouldn't have been a major under any circumstances.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead, Vegas lost a game on a short-handed goal, Vegas allowed 4 goals on a PK. Vegas deserved to lose, period.

I haven't really kept up with the Sharks this year but if this isn't the kind of shit that propels you to a final...

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Jones played his ass off after everyone gave up on him. Credit to PDB for sticking with him.

Sharks are so banged up right now. We have, what, 3 actually healthy NHL defensemen right now?

Going to be an interesting thing to watch in game 1 with COL/SJ, CBJ/BOS and whoever wins tonight versus NYI. Teams really rested versus teams that have been running full throttle for the past two weeks.

I hope it does not cause the Sharks to lose to Colorado, would like to see them move on to at least to the Conference Finals.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I dont think anyone is saying the penalty cost Vegas the series (how can you say that when you blow a 3-1 series lead?). But it still shouldn't have been a major under any circumstances.

Got a chance to watch the penalty again, it might not have been a penalty at all if Pavelski had not fallen so awkward. Worthy of a minor but not a major. To give up 4 goals on a five minute major is insane. There were only 4 power play goals total in all six games of the DAL/NSH series.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Got a chance to watch the penalty again, it might not have been a penalty at all if Pavelski had not fallen so awkward. Worthy of a minor but not a major. To give up 4 goals on a five minute major is insane. There were only 4 power play goals total in all six games of the DAL/NSH series.
Tim Way Rule 609. Cross-Checking. ... (a) A minor or a major penalty shall be assessed for cross-checking an opponent. (b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent as a result of cross-checking .

I can go either way.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Eakin hits him in the arm and mid section. That play happens all the time. They also didn't call a penalty right away. They stopped the play because he was out cold. The penalty decision came after and was reactionary due to Pavelski being out. The refs blew the call.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017

Borderline 2 minutes. Softest major in the history of playoff hockey.

I don't care about either team, but holy shit what a garbage call. That's barely a minor and something that doesn't get called at all most of the time.

Still, no excuse for gaving up 4 PP goals in 5 minutes and blowing a 3-1 series lead.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does he have a history with babcock or something

"They offered me a one-year deal worth one million. My gut was screaming: "Don't take it, you've got one chance, if it doesn't go well, you're done in the NHL!"
"I told my agent: 'I don't want to play in Detroit for Mike Babcock, I don't trust him. Call him back and tell him thank you, we'll get back to you.'
"My agent then told me the GM put a 15-minute time limit on the offer. I needed to make up my mind in 15 minutes or he was gonna pull the offer off the table. This was July 1st, free agency had just started 10 minutes prior. I called the GM and told him: 'Ken, Mike Commodore here, I like you, you're a good guy. Is it you who wants me or the coach?' Ken Holland said that he wanted me and so did Babcock. So I told him that I would love to play for Ken, and I would love to play for the red wings, but that I didn't trust the coach from previous experience. So I called the coach, by now I had 10 minutes left.
"I called him: 'Babs, Mike Commodore here. Please be honest with me, do you want me on your hockey team or not?' He said he did. I wanted to know if I'd get an opportunity. I told him I am not looking for anything special, but that I needed to know if I was gonna get a fair shot and a chance to play. He said 'I want you on my team. You will get a fair chance. We need someone physical on the back end with a right shot. I want you. You will play.'
"I hung up the phone, five minutes left. My gut screamed 'Say No!' This coach screwed me over nine years ago. He buried me in the paper after I had a good camp in Anaheim. He buried me so I would look bad so he could then play his boy from juniors who was an undrafted rookie at camp that year ... Kurt Sauer. Six years later when I finally had a chance to take a shot back at him publicly I did so in the paper when I was in Columbus. But then I started to think about Detroit, a good team, always makes the playoffs, get to play with great players, and about maybe getting the opportunity. So I took Mike Babcock's word and I signed the contract, thirty minutes into free agency. I signed the [expletive] contract faster than when I was a 'hot commodity' four years earlier. I was one of the first players gone that year in free agency. Off the board July 1st.
"I went to camp in Detroit, and got scratched out. I did injure my knee a bit so I missed couple of days in camp and the first four games. I got back as if it was nothing major. I came back, and the team won its first five games. I got scratched, but okay, the team was winning. We lost seven in a row, then I wasn't even close to playing. Scratch, scratch.
"Finally, it was mid-November,Ian White got a puck to the face and was going to miss a week, we went on a road trip. A four-game road trip, and I thought to myself that this was my chance. I played three games, no two games, I think, three minutes a night… The only time I touched the ice was when the fourth line was on, and the faceoff was in the neutral zone. I was opening the doors for Lidström, that's all I was doing, being a cheerleader.
"Bab then met with me, said he was calling up guys from minors, and scratched me until Christmas. Then the GM forced the coach to play me; I played fifteen games, I fought, I played the best I could with the ice time I was getting. And then I got traded (to Tampa) because Ken Holland felt bad. "

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Tim Way Rule 609. Cross-Checking. ... (a) A minor or a major penalty shall be assessed for cross-checking an opponent. (b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent as a result of cross-checking .

I can go either way.

Maybe they wanted to go with a double minor (like a high stick with blood) but the rules state the next level up is a major. I guess I can understand that, Cross checking could be called constantly if they really wanted to right now in the NHL.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i made the worst hockey watching mistake of my life.. i decided to watch the Bruins game in the morning before leaving to work, fast-forwarded through it in 45mins and it was just a bad game, got nothing out of it really. WHILE the Sharks game was still on, the 3rd period... i could have watched it until the end and still made it to work in time. FML. i was so certain the goddamn Knights would take it, i didnt want to subject myself to it, and i had already missed the first 2 periods. argh why didnt i just change the game and see whats up, good god... the regret. its killing me.

How fitting would it be if the Leafs season ended on Tavares turnover?

wasnt it a Nylander turnover? i dunno, boring game anyway, hard to remember details.

I have been watching hockey for 40 years and I have NEVER seen anything like what I seeing now lol.

the Isles did almost the exact same thing to Detroit last year. yeah i know two teams no one cares about, but it happened. 5min major late in the 3rd, Isles score 3 fast ones to tie it up, then the OT winner. i lost my shit watching it live.

oh wait it was 4 (!!!) goals on the same PP, hahah. Detroit still tied it up, then Isles finished it in OT.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
"They offered me a one-year deal worth one million. My gut was screaming: "Don't take it, you've got one chance, if it doesn't go well, you're done in the NHL!"
"I told my agent: 'I don't want to play in Detroit for Mike Babcock, I don't trust him. Call him back and tell him thank you, we'll get back to you.'
"My agent then told me the GM put a 15-minute time limit on the offer. I needed to make up my mind in 15 minutes or he was gonna pull the offer off the table. This was July 1st, free agency had just started 10 minutes prior. I called the GM and told him: 'Ken, Mike Commodore here, I like you, you're a good guy. Is it you who wants me or the coach?' Ken Holland said that he wanted me and so did Babcock. So I told him that I would love to play for Ken, and I would love to play for the red wings, but that I didn't trust the coach from previous experience. So I called the coach, by now I had 10 minutes left.
"I called him: 'Babs, Mike Commodore here. Please be honest with me, do you want me on your hockey team or not?' He said he did. I wanted to know if I'd get an opportunity. I told him I am not looking for anything special, but that I needed to know if I was gonna get a fair shot and a chance to play. He said 'I want you on my team. You will get a fair chance. We need someone physical on the back end with a right shot. I want you. You will play.'
"I hung up the phone, five minutes left. My gut screamed 'Say No!' This coach screwed me over nine years ago. He buried me in the paper after I had a good camp in Anaheim. He buried me so I would look bad so he could then play his boy from juniors who was an undrafted rookie at camp that year ... Kurt Sauer. Six years later when I finally had a chance to take a shot back at him publicly I did so in the paper when I was in Columbus. But then I started to think about Detroit, a good team, always makes the playoffs, get to play with great players, and about maybe getting the opportunity. So I took Mike Babcock's word and I signed the contract, thirty minutes into free agency. I signed the [expletive] contract faster than when I was a 'hot commodity' four years earlier. I was one of the first players gone that year in free agency. Off the board July 1st.
"I went to camp in Detroit, and got scratched out. I did injure my knee a bit so I missed couple of days in camp and the first four games. I got back as if it was nothing major. I came back, and the team won its first five games. I got scratched, but okay, the team was winning. We lost seven in a row, then I wasn't even close to playing. Scratch, scratch.
"Finally, it was mid-November,Ian White got a puck to the face and was going to miss a week, we went on a road trip. A four-game road trip, and I thought to myself that this was my chance. I played three games, no two games, I think, three minutes a night… The only time I touched the ice was when the fourth line was on, and the faceoff was in the neutral zone. I was opening the doors for Lidström, that's all I was doing, being a cheerleader.
"Bab then met with me, said he was calling up guys from minors, and scratched me until Christmas. Then the GM forced the coach to play me; I played fifteen games, I fought, I played the best I could with the ice time I was getting. And then I got traded (to Tampa) because Ken Holland felt bad. "

My brief interactions with Babcock were always shitty. Just seemed like an arrogant asshole to anyone.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting why people are like "well Vegas shouldn't have let in four goals in four minutes." That's called as a minor, it's 3-1 Vegas, and game goes on at 5v5 where Vegas had the edge in nearly all cases: http://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2018030187

Without a doubt Gallant should have called a timeout after one or two given the hand he was dealt, and ultimately you gotta play and not choke a series and goal lead, but I don't think I agree that we can say the Shorks scoring for is a forgone conclusion without the major.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting why people are like "well Vegas shouldn't have let in four goals in four minutes." That's called as a minor, it's 3-1 Vegas, and game goes on at 5v5 where Vegas had the edge in nearly all cases: http://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2018030187

Without a doubt Gallant should have called a timeout after one or two given the hand he was dealt, and ultimately you gotta play and not choke a series and goal lead, but I'm don't think I agree that we can say the Shorks scoring for is a forgone conclusion without the major. Maybe I'm over thinking it and it is what it is.

Basically what im saying. Sharks don't get that major, they don't win

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's that simple.

That said, Vegas had a major PK fail, how many teams in the history of the NHL have had 4 goals scored against them on one major penalty? And they still had a chance to win in OT which they failed to do.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I am kinda stuck here. I have tickets for Avengers tomorrow night at 11pm which will no doubt start before the Stars game is over. The next day I could possibly see it is Wednesday which looking at the calendar is likely going to be Game 4. Unless they get a 2 day break inbetween one of the games, which doesnt seem likely.

Probably going to cancel my tickets for tomorrow night for the Avengers.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Was at the game last night. I lost my voice by the third period. I don't think I will ever experience anything like that ever again. I've been to Warriors playoff games, nothing has come close to how loud the tank got. Incredible.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say it was a good call. I will say it makes up for the bad call that happened in Game 2. The series could have been different if the terrible call in Game 2 wasn't called so this to me makes up for that. Plus despite the call, Vegas still blew a 3-1 series lead and they blew a 3-0 goal lead in just a couple minutes. It's not like it was a one goal game and that made the difference. There was a huge gap to overcome still and they did it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero interest in talking about the penalty this morning. I'm just so excited that we can use the Gallant thumbs up gif over and over now and have it be associated with good memories.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to say it was a good call. I will say it makes up for the bad call that happened in Game 2. The series could have been different if the terrible call in Game 2 wasn't called so this to me makes up for that. Plus despite the call, Vegas still blew a 3-1 series lead and they blew a 3-0 goal lead in just a couple minutes. It's not like it was a one goal game and that made the difference. There was a huge gap to overcome still and they did it.

True, im not gonna downplay what an insane effort it was to come back like that.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
So what was the deal with Vegas this year anyways? They added Patches, Stastny and Stone (at the deadline) and didn't lose too much from last year (Just Perron mostly?). Fleury was healthier this season too but they end up with 16 less points and out in the first round? Did they hit a bad injury bug somewhere along the way or did the league just catch up to them?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
So what was the deal with Vegas this year anyways? They added Patches, Stastny and Stone (at the deadline) and didn't lose too much from last year (Just Perron mostly?). Fleury was healthier this season too but they end up with 16 less points and out in the first round? Did they hit a bad injury bug somewhere along the way or did the league just catch up to them?
Last year they had the lovable underdog role. This year they had expectations. That's the biggest difference.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that was definitely not a major penalty, but I don't think it's out of the question that the Sharks would still be able to come back. 4 goals in 5 minutes is an unbelievable collapse.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
They got off to a pretty poor start to the season while Nate Schmidt was suspended, which probably accounts for most of that difference in the regular season. They were really good for most of the rest of the season after that, aside from a fairly weak February. And they were only eliminated in the first round by the narrowest of margins in just about the craziest way imaginable.

They overachieved last year for sure, but this season solidified that they are generally a good team and not a weird fluke.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Is Vegas going to be exempt for the expansion draft for Seattle?

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought they were starting within the next couple years. Not starting until 2021-2022 season, feels like a long time from now.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Is Vegas going to be exempt for the expansion draft for Seattle?

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought they were starting within the next couple years. Not starting until 2021-2022 season, feels like a long time from now.

They're still exempt though, which is bullshit in my opinion.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely exempt seems kinda crazy, maybe a different structure but they will be going into their 5th full season that year. Seems like enough time.
they didn't expect them to have such a stacked team by now.

I wonder if they can even amend it or if its something in a contract with the league and VGK ownership.

Jul 18, 2018
Completely exempt seems kinda crazy, maybe a different structure but they will be going into their 5th full season that year. Seems like enough time.
The GMs were informed that any potential future Seattle expansion draft will be conducted under the same conditions as Vegas, and there's an interesting caveat: The Golden Knights aren't likely to be part of the Seattle process at all, according to a source.

There's no reason to expect them to be put in position to lose a player because they're not going to be sharing in the $650-million fee the Oak View Group will be asked to pay if/when the NHL accepts its expansion application. That was part of the deal the league struck with Golden Knights owner Bill Foley when he was granted the 31st franchise.

As a result, the Original 30 will eventually receive $21.67-million apiece from Seattle after cashing $16.67-million cheques from Vegas

So the GM's saw that this was the fair thing despite what fans have to say about it. $$$$ wins in the end