• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Interested?

• I work for exposure

Votes: 45 17.6%
  • $8.65 an hour is all the NFL can out of the millions they profit from that game!

Votes: 59 23.0%
  • 9 rehearsals for a single event at minimum wage is a fair commitment

Votes: 39 15.2%
  • I listen to JLo tracks all the time, why not in a stadium?

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Sadly, I’m not a fit for this career yet

Votes: 107 41.8%

• Total voters

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lawyer? What ? I don't know , maybe they should get paid more than the bare minimum for a show that live gate generate more 70 million in cash
If I'm doing something for the biggest sporting of the year for one of the biggest organizations of the world, specifically a performance that a lot of people are tuned in for, I'm not doing shit for free.

Why? You get paid for the job you do regardless of the profit generated by it.

The value of what they're doing just isn't worth that much.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
People suggesting that assembling and striking a stage in a short amount of time is the "definition of unskilled labor" is pretty damn funny. I used to run my own stagecraft company and even with stage pieces designed to be built quickly would take a skilled team of 20 roughly an hour to put together. 600 people won't make it go faster, it'll make it more dangerous.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why? You get paid for the job you do regardless of the profit generated by it.

The value of what they're doing just isn't worth that much.
To be fair I think a lot of people would not like that entire notion which happens to be a huge piece of capitalism, a thing a lot of people have issues with. Plenty of people would say workers should share a more proportionate representation of generated profits.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People suggesting that assembling and striking a stage in a short amount of time is the "definition of unskilled labor" is pretty damn funny. I used to run my own stagecraft company and even with stage pieces designed to be built quickly would take a skilled team of 20 roughly an hour to put together. 600 people won't make it go faster, it'll make it more dangerous.
I've set up wrestling rings dozens of times, and talk about a situation where you want to know what you're doing! Def not as complicated as your thing but I get where you are coming from. Any sort of stage or ring or anything, you're taking people's safety into your hands.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As far as I can tell from the actual job description, the vast majority of what people are being asked to do is push equipment carts. It's unclear what's actually being asked of them for the actual stage assembly, but it seems like the main expectation is just pushing carts. It also seems like this has been the standard for awhile, as this same role has been in place for numerous past halftime shows.

So I highly doubt these people are being asked to do highly technical construction that would kill/maim the performer if done incorrectly. The stage is built to be assembled & disassembled in a matter of minutes. You just need to coordinate the people doing the work, thus the rehearsals.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell from the actual job description, the vast majority of what people are being asked to do is push equipment carts. It's unclear what's actually being asked of them for the actual stage assembly, but it seems like the main expectation is just pushing carts. It also seems like this has been the standard for awhile, as this same role has been in place for numerous past halftime shows.

So I highly doubt these people are being asked to do highly technical construction that would kill/maim the performer if done incorrectly. The stage is built to be assembled & disassembled in a matter of minutes. You just need to coordinate the people doing the work, thus the rehearsals.
Yeah, I figured that. I have a feeling the company running halftime would know what they're doing as the NFL doesn't want their halftime performers to die in front of millions of viewers. My comment was directed at people calling stage assembly "unskilled work" along with the article in the OP stating the job is to assemble the stage. Yes, it's most likely exactly what you described but, if I were running this, the idea of having 600 randos handling my equipment would terrify me.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As pathetically low as minimum wage is, I can't get that worked up over a corporation paying people that amount. Or taking advantage of tax loopholes. Or really any cost saving measures.

Unfettered capitalism and low/no regulations results in human beings doing whatever they can to make money. This shit is why libertarianism is idiotic; people will not act in the common good if they don't have to, and it costs them something.

Change it at the top level, or nothing will happen. I don't expect any company to be a beacon of good when they don't have to be.

Also, the NFL does way worse shit than *this*, of all things.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I figured that. I have a feeling the company running halftime would know what they're doing as the NFL doesn't want their halftime performers to die in front of millions of viewers. My comment was directed at people calling stage assembly "unskilled work" along with the article in the OP stating the job is to assemble the stage. Yes, it's most likely exactly what you described but. if I were running this, the idea of having 600 randos handling my equipment is terrifying.
I feel like the only way to do it with 600 people simutaniously is to make it rely upon "unskilled" labor. You have to train a lot of people to do a job very quickly and very precisely - so the less room for error in the job itself, the better. The stage should essentially be giant LEGO - push, snap together, go.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised people are saying a company with billions in revenue is ok not paying at all or paying $8.65 an hour in the USA
This is a forum who many users here are so completely out of touch with how poor people actually are , usually because they earn no where near that low an income and it doesn't affect them, despite how many threads about how 44% of the entire population of the US makes $18,000 or less a year and how most people don't even have a few $ in the bank. It absolutely doesn't surprise me in the least at there being yet another thread about poor people being exploited by millionaires and a bunch of people come to the defense of the corporations and blame the the poor people saying "get a real job" or "what do you expect? It's unskilled labor!"
🙄🙄🙄

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's shit pay and they're probably running around any union labor groups that would do this. Burn the NFL

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'd just attend each rehearsal and then bail or say I'm going to the bathroom and hide out until after halftime and walk around. I can find a screen cap of someone's ticket with their seat number if security asks me for my ticket. I could also say "hey just gonna take a quick selfie for my snap/Insta/etc"

As long as you get paid weekly and not until after the performance, fuck that

Dec 31, 2017
I have no problem with being paid "minimum wage" for this service; but the minimum wage should be $15/hour.

And I'm assuming all rehearsals are also paid time.

The NFL can certainly afford to pay them more.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
If I was a big Jlo fan, didn't care about the game, and would love to participate in an over glorified flash mob... getting paid would be a bonus. This seems like something for fans. I'm guessing there will be actual teamsters or somebody like that making sure the stage doesn't fall apart and hurt some backup singers.

Oct 28, 2018
And yet people are going to be clamoring to do the job. This is a clear case of supply and demand. If they offered nothing you'd still have plenty of people who'd want to be part of it.