• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Ms definitely could have shared more specs, but they confirmed gddr6, some features like dynamic input lag, vrs. And some new OS features.

They also have shown the controller and outlined all new features for it. For ps5 we don't even know if it will keep the lightbar or if they will make the paddles a standard feature. Or the console itself and the case which was also important to outline how the machine was designed to go above expectations.
All new features of controllers? Really all features? People really forget things. Sony says new features of controllers, SSD speed demo, partial install, and confirms ray tracing hardware for audio/visual. MS did show some pictures and give a number of 12. But none of the two companies give concrete specs, and MS even doesn't announce the other new console Lockhart.

Last edited:

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
At minimum, I'd think the wise wager is on the Series X having the higher TFLOP number now. These kinds of media and PR actions aren't taken lightly, so if Microsoft are outright flexing about TFLOPS (and they were on social media), then it's a fair bet that they are highly confident they've got the PS5 beat - even if only on that specific spec point.

You don't do something like that, if you think there's even a small chance that Sony could come out 24 hours later and embarrass you by having a higher number, leading to a media cycle about how Sony windmill dunked on Microsoft's announcement. But again - this only applies to the 12 TFLOPs. And it could still mean the PS5 falls anywhere between 1 and 11.9 TFLOPS.

On the other side, Microsoft not speaking about other specs (such as their SSD), could equally mean they are less confident about where they sit on those fronts relative to the PS5.
Even that I'm trying to take what MS said at value. It is their most powerful console ever doesn't mean that it will be the most powerful (TF wise even) come this holiday season. We just don't know, hell they could be confident cause 12TF RDNA2 is solid period and even if Sony does go higher it can't be by much. You could be right, but I'm trying not to speculate too much based on what the other guy is doing. It's hard enough to speculate on what one company is doing based on their info drips let alone putting another variable into the mix.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
this podcaste gave more details about the XsX than the 2 ps5 wired article together

and plus we have this

www.xbox.com

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Discover the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever with the Xbox Series X.

Yea. Forgot some of the other details than just the 12TF. I guess I'd say yes we know more about the Series X now, but people are also acting like all we know about the PS5 is the logo, which is pretty far off.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
At minimum, I'd think the wise wager is on the Series X having the higher TFLOP number now. These kinds of media and PR actions aren't taken lightly, so if Microsoft are outright flexing about TFLOPS (and they were on social media), then it's a fair bet that they are highly confident they've got the PS5 beat - even if only on that specific spec point.

You don't do something like that, if you think there's even a small chance that Sony could come out 24 hours later and embarrass you by having a higher number, leading to a media cycle about how Sony windmill dunked on Microsoft's announcement. But again - this only applies to the 12 TFLOPs. And it could still mean the PS5 falls anywhere between 1 and 11.9 TFLOPS.

On the other side, Microsoft not speaking about other specs (such as their SSD), could equally mean they are less confident about where they sit on those fronts relative to the PS5.

Yep, imho it is pretty much confirmed now the XSX has the higher flop count. Will be interesting to see the pricing strategy of both and comparisons of other hardware aspects.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
People really forget things. Sony says new features of controllers, SSD speed demo, partial install, and confirms ray tracing hardware for audio/visual. MS did show some pictures and give a number of 12. But none of the two companies give concrete specs, and MS even doesn't announce the other new console Lockhart.

they did not announce the "other new console lockhart" because it is only rumors. theres no official word it is going to be release with XsX.

And the only concrete evidence it is even real is that at E32018 Phil said they are working on new consoles.. since then it's only rumors.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo

All of your reasoning is quite sound but I'm trying to keep from the speculation train because it just turns into a rabbit hole of pastbins and dodgy reddit threads, that being said would love to be able to pre order the series x and have it out of the way in case there's supply issues.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
People really forget things. Sony says new features of controllers, SSD speed demo, partial install, and confirms ray tracing hardware for audio/visual. MS did show some pictures and give a number of 12. But none of the two companies give concrete specs, and MS even doesn't announce the other new console Lockhart.
But that console doesn't even officially exist. We're not even sure they will announce Lockhart. They might cancel it today, it's barely worth talking about let alone putting in a list of things MS hasn't shown yet.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation - From - 04.16.2019

A lot of details revealed. Followed by:

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5 - From - 10.08.2019
Even more details revealed.

Both articles have loads of qotes from Cerny himself. Besides the Teraflops announcement i actually think we have more info on the PS5 than the next Xbox.

If you only saw a logo from Sony, it's on you.

Listen to this podcast and you will see, as of today, we have much more info about XsX than PS5

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
I don't even think that's a logical conclusion. I think that the only real logical conclusion we can surmise is we don't know what Sony is up to, they could be internally reacting to what MS are doing or they could not. We don't have any indication for what their plans are other than they are not showing anything right now*. They could show something tomorrow. My brother jokes around about Sony announcing something at the end of every hour but it's true. They can say something today.
Yes I agree we don't know, but people like to be so sure of themselves with zero evidence.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Sony announces something today for an even tomorrow of some sort
i'm with you.

6U5dPXA.gif

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Yes I agree we don't know, but people like to be so sure of themselves with zero evidence.
Welcome to the console wars, even I am guilty of it sometimes. If you you look at my post history I am clearly an Xbox guy, although I have conversations with my brother (who is a PlayStation guy) about this stuff all the time. I think that helps me keep things into perspective and helps me get excited about what my preferred ecosystem is doing without having to put any other ecosystem down. I hope both are going to be excellent because the competition only makes everything better. I don't think MS could have turn everything around so well without the success of Playstation.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
All of your reasoning is quite sound but I'm trying to keep from the speculation train because it just turns into a rabbit hole of pastbins and dodgy reddit threads, that being said would love to be able to pre order the series x and have it out of the way in case there's supply issues.

Oh I'm not gonna go down that hole, believe me, lol. I do believe that PR, how it is worded, and how it is rolled out, is very noteworthy however. These kinds details aren't revealed carelessly - they are done with careful purpose. And that goes almost as much for what they choose not to say, versus what they do.

Likewise, if you've got your Twitter accounts being cheeky enough that they are posting flexing arm emojis and posting tweets defining what a teraflop is - that says something about your internal confidence, as it regards that specific part of the specs sheet.

Ultimately we "know" nothing, of course. But I'd put $5 on it.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
User Warned: shilling accusations
www.gamesradar.com

PS5 Pro could launch alongside PS5 according to this rumor

"The aim is for PS5 and PS5 Pro to be released simultaneously"

Zenji Nishikawa a Japanese journalist it dates back to september 19 2019.
So why could Sony not have a Premium or Pro model while Xbox can have two?
I see some people jumping to the conclusion saying that it's not possible and I look at their past posts they seem to be Microsoft employees or the biggest fans there.
If PS5 has two models

There definitely won't be multiple PS5 SKUs and it's not guaranteed there will be a Lockhart

Why not , because there is no leak of that?
I think it could be. While there was always a rumor that Microsoft could make two, Sony might have copied the idea.
Remember with authenticating your games on Xbox. Sony was planning the same too, but they never mentioned it and never implemented it.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Welcome to the console wars, even I am guilty of it sometimes. If you you look at my post history I am clearly an Xbox guy, although I have conversations with my brother (who is a PlayStation guy) about this stuff all the time. I think that helps me keep things into perspective and helps me get excited about what my preferred ecosystem is doing without having to put any other ecosystem down. I hope both are going to be excellent because the competition only makes everything better. I don't think MS could have turn everything around so well without the success of Playstation.
Yup I also want both to be as good as possible so in the end it's about the games not the specs.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

I see some people jumping to the conclusion saying that it's not possible and I look at their past posts they seem to be Microsoft employees or the biggest fans there.
If PS5 has two models

I would be shocked if AMD didnt also show Sony the same solution MS is using for XBX and Lockheart.

But if they where using it, surely we would know by now? Someone other then 1 guy in Japan would have said as much.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Has Sony confirmed if PS4 accessories will work with PS5?

I'm looking for a headset currently and I don't want to replace it in few months.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation - From - 04.16.2019

A lot of details revealed. Followed by:

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5 - From - 10.08.2019
Even more details revealed.

Both articles have loads of qotes from Cerny himself. Besides the Teraflops announcement i actually think we have more info on the PS5 than the next Xbox.

If you only saw a logo from Sony, it's on you.
Just looking at the hardware and some of the features I'd say Xbox has revealed a little more, but there's lots still unknown

PS5:
GPU - Custom Navi
SOC -
RT - Hardware acceleration
RAM -
CPU - 7nm Zen 2, 8 core 16 thread
SSD - Fastest (as of April 2019)
BC - PS4 confirmed
Console -
Controller - adaptive triggers, advanced haptics, no visual

XSX:
GPU - 12 TF, Custom RDNA 2, VRS
SOC - Phil's twitter
RT - Hardware acceleration
RAM - GDDR6
CPU - Zen 2
SSD - Custom SSD
BC - XB1 confirmed, OG and 360 same as exists on XB1
Console - Game Awards
Controller - Game Awards. share button added, new dpad

I'd also say that Xbox in general has talked about their console much more.

PS5: Two wired articles, some info at CES 2020
XSX: Teased E3 2018, announced E3 2019, multiple interviews E3 2019 (Phil on GB, etc), Game Awards reveal + Gamespot articles, SOC pictures posted on twitter, Article from this week + Major Nelson Podcast.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
www.gamesradar.com

If PS5 has two models

Why not , because there is no leak of that?
I think it could be. While there was always a rumor that Microsoft could make two, Sony might have copied the idea.
Remember with authenticating your games on Xbox. Sony was planning the same too, but they never mentioned it and never implemented it.

I don't think that we'll see two PS5s purely based on the fact that nothing seems to have leaked from testing documents or driver diving that points to a second model, while evidence of the other three consoles has been turned up, and evidence of PS5 specifically has been found several times over.

It's not impossible that Sony could surprise us, but it strikes me as highly improbable that they will.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

This.

It's so much more than TF. XSX is going to be an absolute beast. No doubt about it and I can't wait to pick one up. The PS5 may be slightly less powerful in the TF front, but there are features announced for the PS5 that have me super excited.

3D audio sounds amazing, as does the haptic feedback DS5 and of course that sweet, sweet SSD.

Just wish Sony would hurry up and reveal it already. That goes for MS as well with a more in depth reveal. Bring on the next gen. I'm ready!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just want sony to say something at thus point, anything, even if its just that the ps5 is delayed until q1 2021 or something

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
If Lockhart isn't a retail product this year (and I personally don't think it is), I don't think they acknowledge it's existence until E3 2021, for a release that fall.

Even confirming Lockhart's existence as a thing could adversely affect Series X sales, if people decide to wait for a lower priced option they now know is coming.

As a knock-on effect, this is also why I don't think the Series X costs more than $499 no matter what - because Microsoft won't want their only console SKU for an entire calendar year to be $599 or more.

I don't see any chance of them waiting a year to launch Lockhart. Maybe a month or two.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
How about you stop telling people what to care about?

I don't buy a console just to play exclusives. I stopped upgrading my PC 5 years ago so I play all the multiplatform games on a console.

3TF is not an insignificant number considering the gulf between XBO and PS4 was only 0.5tf and that was the difference between 900p and 1080p.

One X is 1.8tf more powerful than Pro and that is a difference between sub 1800p on Pro and Native 4k on X.

Series X being 3tf more powerful than PS5 is worrying. I prefer Sony exclusives but I don't want an inferior experience in multiplatform games. I switched from Pro to One X recently and I prefer the performance of the One X.
I'm 100% agreeing with you.

Just look at RDR2 on One X vs Pro. The experience is some way ruined on Pro with some drop below 30fps. One X seems at 30fps all the time with a better image quality/resolution.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Huh; must have missed this.. Sony confirmed custom Navi?

edit: Oh that's right RDNA 2 is Navi right? So that just means "custom modern AMD GPU" which might be RDNA 2

from the first wired article:

The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

about the rdna2 = Navi. can't aswner.. i'm not that tech navy.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Huh; must have missed this.. Sony confirmed custom Navi?

edit: Oh that's right RDNA 2 is Navi right? So that just means "custom modern AMD GPU" which might be RDNA 2
From the first Wired article:
PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments

RDNA is the architecture featured in the line of Navi GPUs found in the 5500/5700 Radeon products. Technically, Sony has only ever referred to their GPU as being Navi based, they've never mentioned "RDNA" - not that that really means anything.

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
ps4 pro specs were in the wild before they announced project scorpio as the strongest console ever. and sony itself talked about it 3 days before E3 where microsoft revealed the project scorpio, so for sure microsoft knew it was more powerful over leaks.

with XsX and Ps5, there is no concrete leak of PS5 hardware and power, so if microsoft say they have the most powerful console ever made, they probably are going to break a lot of NDA's and be open to court..

there's a difference from 2016 and 2020.
Your joking if you think they would be in court if they stated they had the most powerful console in history? Which NDA would they be breaking? Non

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I don't think that we'll see two PS5s purely based on the fact that nothing seems to have leaked from testing documents or driver diving that points to a second model, while evidence of the other three consoles has been turned up, and evidence of PS5 specifically has been found several times over.

It's not impossible that Sony could surprise us, but it strikes me as highly improbable that they will.

The testing github leaks?
Why do we believe that.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Why do we believe that.
It's the only solid proof we have directly from AMD.
it was also pulled from google drive by AMDtaken down notice.
a lot of the other things in the leak have been accurate such as none console chips
there are other things that imply the leak is real but we don't have all the data DrKeo and DukeBlueBall can explain this far better than I.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 is 54 CU.

The Github leak was testing BC modes, with "native" mode meaning a test at native clock speed, not CU count. Or in other words, a boost mode for PS4 Pro titles.

That's my theory anyway. Probably wrong, mind, but logically it works I guess?

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

What if the 36CU chip is for the Base PS5? What if they are aiming for 6tf for it?
The Pro model could have 56?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Why do we believe that.

Because they do seem to be legit leaks even though the lack of context means that we shouldn't read too much into them.

But, it's not just those, it's also the work of the likes of Komachi and Rogame that I'd have expected to turn up some evidence of a second console existed.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
a lot of the other things in the leak have been accurate such as none console chips
there are other things that imply the leak is real but we don't have all the data DrKeo and DukeBlueBall can explain this far better than I.

So do you believe that Sparkman, the rumored Lockhart APU, has 56 CUs? Because this is in that data.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Because they do seem to be legit leaks even though the lack of context means that we shouldn't read too much into them.

But, it's not just those, it's also the work of the likes of Komachi and Rogame that I'd have expected to turn up some evidence of a second console existed.

Can we be sure though that the tests and leaks include the latest, revision versions or that it was not some kind of compatibility test for other purposes.
So what if PS5 turns out to have some other specifications then the test/leak results or is that not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.