• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
To preface this post: I don't know what is or isn't true, nor does the final outcome matter much as I will buy both regardless. With that said, for me me right now, the information I have and and the predictions being thrown around for Sony don't completely add up. Additionally, I apologize if this isn't as precisely worded or put well together as I would like, I am typing it while multitasking some work stuff.

- We have the github leak and the data contained within (not saying the information in it is final or definitive). Their are chips in there that line up what MS just informed us of yesterday (Arden), and then there is the chip that has been associated with Sony for over a year now(Ariel/Oberon).

- We are approaching the time frame where these companies are heading to production and the chips are mostly final yet we still don't have any evidence of a different chip associated with Sony. Indicating at the very least the github info was accurate at some point.

- In December we had a predicted BOM for the Series X being around ~$500 ($460-$520)

- We had the recent story that due to supply issues Sony's BOM has risen to ~$450. Implying that it was lower than this prior to the supply issues. Logically these same supply issues would apply to MS and drive up their cost as well (assuming similar parts are being used)

- Sony is alleged to have a faster SSD and have made comments that this is their focus heading into next gen

So just trying to parse all of these things out within the context of a console (fixed budget, trade offs to hit price points etc) its hard for me to get to a point where Sony has a better SSD, more bandwidth, and more power etc but has a lower BOM than MS. If it is better than the Series X in every way, it would be more expensive.

My gut just tells me that Sony traded some raw power for other system aspects like the better SSD. MS traded some SSD speed for more raw power. Each will have their benefits and we will see some things on each that play to their strengths.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
How am I trolling? I have not touched anything but the campaign in gears and that doesnt run at 60fps. If you want to use a game that has multiplayer fine,
Uncharted campaign looks better then gears 4 campaign.

Gears looks good. Has great IQ and some great effects but the overall package just doesnt impress me or look as nice to me then games like uncharted 4,god of war,spiderman,horizon.
Every mode on Gears of War except for split screen coop runs 60 FPS on the One X. The campaign stays mostly locked at 4k/60 FPS throughout with some drops in busy scenes, but usually only as low as low 50's.

Now if you are playing the One S then you are getting a locked 30 FPS. I don't think you were trying to compare graphics on the base systems though, but if you were then you are right that the PS4 dominated the Xbox One and One S in graphical fidelity

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The GitHub link for the MS chip only referenced cu count and vrs/Ray tracing. Nothing that was announced confirms the GitHub because they didn't give the cu count.

Oct 30, 2017
At this point I'm curious on what the power differences will represent if it's true about PS5. Ive always owned a PS, but If it's not a big difference then it may not affect my buying decision, but if the difference is noticable, it's going to make me think twice about which one I want to get.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's about time people stop believing and mentioning people like Klee or Jason regarding these things. It's so boring and predictable when people tease that they know stuff (or worse, that they actually "have the spec sheets for both consoles") and then go "tee-hee, but I won't tell!". Especially when Klee requests a Ban so as not to face the heat when the actual specs are out.

Whether or not they knew something is irrelevant when "everything can change". The only people claiming that the PS5 is more powerful are not revealing anything. The people who claim the consoles are close in power have gone silent and have nothing to show for it. Only the people who believe the Series X to be far superior are actually showing and leaking numbers, and everything seems to support them.

I really don't care which console is more powerful, but let's forget about Klee or Jason. I'd even forget about Matt's claim about putting the Github leak behind us, because it's pretty likely that will end up being correct as well.

This post make no sense .
We should forget about people that have been right in the past and know info because you think so ?
Klee gave hard numbers for both which something others were not doing .

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's about time people stop believing and mentioning people like Klee or Jason regarding these things. It's so boring and predictable when people tease that they know stuff (or worse, that they actually "have the spec sheets for both consoles") and then go "tee-hee, but I won't tell!". Especially when Klee requests a Ban so as not to face the heat when the actual specs are out.

Whether or not they knew something is irrelevant when "everything can change". The only people claiming that the PS5 is more powerful are not revealing anything. The people who claim the consoles are close in power have gone silent and have nothing to show for it. Only the people who believe the Series X to be far superior are actually showing and leaking numbers, and everything seems to support them.

I really don't care which console is more powerful, but let's forget about Klee or Jason. I'd even forget about Matt's claim about putting the Github leak behind us, because it's pretty likely that will end up being correct as well.
Your forgot Reiner - but why should we forget people verified here, and also whose we know their civil identity ?

And I find funny that you ask why they didn't come again in that snakepit, because you are the answer.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

Sure, things can change, but changing an APU is one of those things where changing it and still hitting a holiday 2020 release date is impractical unless the change was made years in advance. Also, I only put stock in these insiders because Jason from Kotaku was pretty much in agreement with them and his reputation as a credible and reliable journalist cannot be questioned. So either Jason, and everyone else, got bad info, misinterpreted the info they got, or were outright lying. I find that hard to believe.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So...

ps5 =~ 9 tf = $ 399
Xbox = 12 tf = $ 499

?
I mean, it's possible, but it goes against what any insider has said. We can be reasonably confident (thanks to the GitHub leak) that at one point about a year ago, Sony had a chip that was operating around that level. But we are also confident that the console was supposed to release in Holiday 2019 and things may have changed when they took a year delay.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019

giphy.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
How is it the Github leak if it was posted in January 2019?

PS I just need KI2 to be real.

I'm suggesting this person might have had access to what became the GitHub leak before that info was leaked.

Because it's pretty damn similar.. right down to "not knowing if PS5 has RT."

Or it's just total BS lol

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This post make no sense .
We should forget about people that have been right in the past and know info because you think so ?
Klee gave hard numbers for both which something others were not doing .
Ishida has been doing this every few weeks, coming here just to tell people to forget about insiders because no actual reasons other than "I'm not liking that things can change".

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, who are the current people saying Series X is far more powerful? I must have missed something.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
iirc there was an article wccftech shwoing slides about RDNA1 vs RDNA2 and the diffeernce is that RDNA1 wasn't really a true next-gen architecture and was still bound to GCN in half of its concept. RDNA2 is totally 100% next-egn architecture (rumros say it's already 50% over RDNA1 performance). RDNA2 also offers VRS.
That article needs to be taken with some grains of salt. First their source is the YouTuber RedGamingTech, and second the gains come from a mixture of architecture improvement and increased cores. In reality we don't know exactly what architecture efficiency improvements will look like from RDNA1 to RDNA2 because AMD had not even introduced RDNA2 to the world yet, and there are no released products using it in the wild yet

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I always told myself "this is the kind of leak way too massive for it to be real".

But, we just heard that Microsoft was indeed in talks with Platinum, and yes, Turn 10 will show their Ray Tracing Technology next month.

Of course, fake get some things right all the time, but to think this guy had credibles informations at the time, is not out of the picture anymore.
But would bluepoint be making a ps5 exclusive of they were being acquired?

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, things can change, but changing an APU is one of those things where changing it and still hitting a holiday 2020 release date is impractical unless the change was made years in advance. Also, I only put stock in these insiders because Jason from Kotaku was pretty much in agreement with them and his reputation as a credible and reliable journalist cannot be questioned. So either Jason, and everyone else, got bad info, misinterpreted the info they got, or were outright lying. I find that hard to believe.

I don't believe they are lying. But there's a pretty big probability that the info they got was either old, incorrect, or some developer actually believes that 8 or 9 Tfps are not much of a difference to 12.

Every single leak that includes numbers and has gotten other things right put the PS5 in a huge disadvantage. The only people who claim otherwise are just making that, claiming.

Now, I'm not saying I believe the final PS5 will not reach double digits, just stating that it's is VERY possible that Microsoft caught Sony with their pants down this next gen. And most leaks and info seem to confirm that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe they are lying. But there's a pretty big probability that the info they got was either old, incorrect, or some developer actually believes that 8 or 9 Tfps are not much of a difference to 12.

Every single leak that includes numbers and has gotten other things right put the PS5 in a huge disadvantage. The only people who claim otherwise are just making that, claiming.

Now, I'm not saying I believe the final PS5 will not reach double digits, just stating that it's is VERY possible that Microsoft caught Sony with their pants down this next gen. And most leaks and info seem to confirm that.

Please show me the leaks for this ?
The only leak we have for PS5 is github.
When it comes from numbers we get from Tom and Klee with Tom never talking about PS5.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Klee said both consoles > 10TF - correct for XSX (and also said that the 12TF figure was not a surprise and changed nothing)
Schrier said both would be aiming for 2080 performance and to beat Stadia's TF number - correct for XSX
Klee said they would have hardware RT - correct

Everything regarding the hardware that Klee and Schrier said has panned out to be 100% correct thus far.

So where is the proof that PS5 >10TF per Klee? And yeah he was not surprised that it was 12TF that was a leak coming out of GDC 2019. IF you want a source here is the article from Digital Foundry from April 2019 that says that Microsoft is building a 12TF monster.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory

I am not calling the guy a liar, but it was not like he had any bit of information prior to anyone else talking about. If you can find something he said before anyone else then I would feel a lot better about using him as an insider.

This is what Schrier said about the specs after people were quoting him on the Stadia thing:

"This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful. "

What he has said repeatedly is that if he deems something worthy of an accurate story you will see it on kotaku and not here. He was also unhappy that people were discussing "mischaracterizations of things said" on Splitscreen.

So if you actually have an article from his website that details the specs of the PS5 then feel free to link them in a reply.

Oct 25, 2017
Ishida has been doing this every few weeks, coming here just to tell people to forget about insiders because no actual reasons other than "I'm not liking that things can change".

You are exaggerating. How many posts do I have on this thread or the previous ones? I have posted about this at most twice in the past. And for a set of threads that seem to go in circles I don't think a couple of posts about being skeptical is too much.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

But the only thing showing the maybe difference is GitHub. All you are really saying is fuck the others only believe the GitHub.

Jan 20, 2019

There is no old information, they said that 2 months ago.

Nothing has change if they are wrong they are wrong, saying they cant be trusted because of old information is not even close to true.

They either lie or were fed wrong information, until then they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Everyone is lying. Trust no one. Especially people with sources in the dev studios. Half a dozen journalists all lying.

Do trust github leaks that happened because an intern was stupid enough to put sensitive testing data in a public folder.
To be fair DF found all aspects of the github leak credible and Ledbetter said he verified with an independent source.
no. He said he independently verified the source meaning he downloaded the github folder himself. Just like everyone here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
So where is the proof that PS5 >10TF per Klee? And yeah he was not surprised that it was 12TF that was a leak coming out of GDC 2019. IF you want a source here is the article from Digital Foundry from April 2019 that says that Microsoft is building a 12TF monster.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory

I am not calling the guy a liar, but it was not like he had any bit of information prior to anyone else talking about. If you can find something he said before anyone else then I would feel a lot better about using him as an insider.

This is what Schrier said about the specs after people were quoting him on the Stadia thing:

"This is why I don't post here often: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...aiming-higher-than-10-7-teraflops-gpu.107952/

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful. "

What he has said repeatedly is that if he deems something worthy of an accurate story you will see it on kotaku and not here. He was also unhappy that people were discussing "mischaracterizations of things said" on Splitscreen.

So if you actually have an article from his website that details the specs of the PS5 then feel free to link them in a reply.

When the specs for PS5 out and if over 10 then he would be right .
More than one person has access to info but Klee has been right with PS5 having RT both systems being RDNA .
Now that we get numbers for MS he was right with them being over 10 RDNA.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
These numbers were not hard to guess. Most in this thread were predicting a similar configuration, and I'm fairly confident this rumor wasn't the original source of 12TF either.

And it didn't nail the naming. It called it "X" as in the successor to the performance SKU. That was a natural progression, and is reflected in the final naming of the product. "Series" isn't mentioned anywhere, and Lockhart is called the "streaming SKU" despite insider reports telling us it's not that and is an actual dedicated console.

You'd think that the mention of MSRPs, an insane price for Lockhart, and a batshit list of studio acquisitions would give people pause. But you'd be wrong.
I'm pretty sure this was the first leak to mention 12 tfs and raytracing. It's also not that crazy of a list of studios since we just recently got confirmation that MS actually were in talks with Platinum..

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You are exaggerating. How many posts do I have on this thread or the previous ones? I have posted about this at most twice in the past. And for a set of threads that seem to go in circles I don't think a couple of posts about being skeptical is too much.

Well if it were only you doing that then I'd agree. But plenty of others are as well.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no old information, they said that 2 months ago.

Nothing has change if they are wrong they are wrong, saying they cant be trusted because of old information is not even close to true.

They either lie or were fed wrong information, until then they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Jason is one of my favorite persons in the industry. I would never, ever call him a liar in any way, shape or form. But I do believe there is a possibility that whoever his source is, perhaps there could be a misunderstanding in the information.

Anyways, I think this will be my last post on the topic. I'm actually not the kind of person who loves to rain in anyone's parade. I will only buy the PS5, I have no interest in the Series X at all. So if both consoles end up being close in power I will be a very happy camper. Just keeping my expectations severely in check.

Sorry if my posts ruined the fun. It was not my intention.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair DF found all aspects of the github leak credible and Ledbetter said he verified with an independent source.
He verified that it came from AMD servers. He didn't verify the information contained within it or what it related to. However the argument was never that it was fake just that it wasn't in context with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.