• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Remembered when Jim Ryan said best features of PS5 are yet to be annonced ? Look at what the CTO of 4A Games just said, after about talking about RT :
"I am more excited for not yet publicly revealed things,"
What could it be ? The only thing I see is hardware data decompression directly from the SSD, which is not official.
One under appreciated feature of the reveal is how many people it will make shut the hell up.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Remembered when Jim Ryan said best features of PS5 are yet to be annonced ? Look at what the CTO of 4A Games just said, after about talking about RT :
"I am more excited for not yet publicly revealed things,"
What could it be ? The only thing I see is hardware data decompression directly from the SSD, which is not official.

I think it would be something that would be understood by the average consumer, not hardware data decompression (even though that's probably going to be a thing).

Ariel is also described as a tree in GitHub. IMO, it's not a singular GPU. It was also also clearly related to Sony at some point.

That's quite interesting.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
How good it looks isn't the point.

We're talking about what is the most difficult to do.

A game that relies on a SSD and a CPU as capable as next gen will be very tough to port down to lower spec. A game that relies on a HDD and a weak CPU will comparatively be much easier to port to higher spec.
XSS and XSX have (supposedly) the same CPU and SSD. Not that any of it is relevant considering no one talked about what is the easiest shortcut. Yes, obviously a shitty port is easier from the lower tier console to the higher tier console.

Feb 10, 2018
And I still think we know more or less the same amount of information from Sony and MS, but the fact that we know what Series X will look like is why it isn't annoying as hell waiting on them to reveal more information.

We also know it has a 400mm² SoC which greatly diminishes the chances of it being sub 10tflops. We also know it's a nvme ssd

Retsudo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
One under appreciated feature of the reveal is how many people it will make shut the hell up.

giphy.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I've already done it. There's nothing. They're literally showing everything in that tweet related to Ariel and GFX1000. Nothingburger.

LOL at those who think AMD didn't scrub the hell out of the repos after that takedown.

edit: And all the AMD repos have no hits for Oberon, Prospero, Arden, Argalus, or Flute (unless you like sound drivers).

Shame und Thanks.

Guess I've got to be chilled about it

Oct 25, 2017
XSS and XSX have (supposedly) the same CPU and SSD. Not that any of it is relevant considering no one talked about what is the easiest shortcut. Yes, obviously a shitty port is easier from the lower tier console to the higher tier console.
Yeah, in that situation, it wouldn't be as difficult. There would still be inevitable limitations though.

It would always be easier to go up rather than down from the developing and coding perspective.

Smokecapone

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Just randomly putting this out there...
I loved the Order 1886. Game set a graphical benchmark early in the generation.
But as much as I want a sequel.. from a business perspective it makes zero sense for Sony to hype up a sequel that ultimately gave them negative press in its release. The same reason why they shut down Evo. Imagine if Evo made a launch game for PS5 or whatever, making Sony look like liars on more than one occasion (Driveclub to be first PSplus game for PS5, will be ready for launch of PS4, and the embarrassment of it being delayed and then ultimately have atrocious online connection issues when it did release. ), the studios image was tarnished beyond redeption.
In the same light... does Sony really want all that negative press they got with The Order to resurface with a sequel... once again for launch? I dont think it's worth it to them (It's not like the Order was an established game like Rachet that just had a bad game and could release a good sequel and people would forget the bad apple).

So... I honestly believe or am leaning towards... anyone that says PS5/Sony/RAD are working on an Order sequel is lying.
I just dont think Sony will want to cast doubt on their launch with an existing franchise that sold badly for them at the start of this generation.
Well to be honest, studios do learn from past mistakes and to me the order suffered from being rushed and needed more time in the oven so to speak. If they had DLC to add to the lore while still having that cliffhanger feel with updated gameplay like what was done with days gone, I feel that would have went a long way!

As it stands no we do want a sequel and have high hopes they listenEd to the feedback of the first one and capitalize on it and are given enough time to make this right!

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yeah, in that situation, it wouldn't be as difficult. There would still be inevitable limitations though.

It would always be easier to go up rather than down from the developing and coding perspective.
It's easier if all you want is the game to run, but if you want a game that actually takes advantage of the PS5 and XSX then you build it for the most powerful console and scale down. Considering it's pretty safe to assume that the PS5 and XSX combined will probably be the lion's share of consoles sold, it wouldn't be very smart to build your game around the XSS first.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

If anything, once things get revealed, I expect the shitstorm console wars to start up again.
Because why should people be adults when they can be 12 year old fanboy morons. :)

Don't read into this, it's just how it was last time. :p

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Imagine debating 6 Giga Rays per second vs 7 Gigarays per second but one side has "secret sauce" that magically makes 6 Giga Rays somehow better
Fun fact, using the same hardware, different RT ray types will result in different Giga Rays results. For instance a GI ray will cost more than a Shadow ray. So a 2080RTX used for GI rays will result in lower Giga Rays figure than a 2080RTX used for shadow rays.

Just imagine this scenario: One console has a higher TF count, the other has a faster SSD. One has 9 Giga shadow Rays, the other 6 GI rays. One has 20GB memory, the other has faster 16GB. Which one is more powerful? FIGHT!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If anything, once things get revealed, I expect the shitstorm console wars to start up again.
Because why should people be adults when they can be 12 year old fanboy morons. :)

11 words plus emoticon = 12

Yup, 12 TF definitely confirmed. 😁

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, using the same hardware, different RT ray types will result in different Giga Rays results. For instance a GI ray will cost more than a Shadow ray. So a 2080RTX used for GI rays will result in lower Giga Rays figure than a 2080RTX used for shadow rays.

Just imagine this scenario: One console has a higher TF count, the other has a faster SSD. One has 9 Giga shadow Rays, the other 6 GI rays. One has 20GB memory, the other has faster 16GB. Which one is more powerful? FIGHT!
Seriously, Nvidia's rays operation figure is still so vague it's pretty much only thrown out for marketing because it sounds big

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I expect that it will continue, but it will take on a different tone, and those involved will be more readily recognized for the conspiracy theorists they are.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

That's the whole idea: Ford: who gives a shit?

let's not provide the fuel for a new hopeless war, :)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ill never forget the snarky "heh, i guess your getting the inferior version" posts for games like dragon age inquisition and shadow of mordor from back in 2014.....people were really on some shit with their console superiority complexes

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's easier if all you want is the game to run, but if you want a game that actually takes advantage of the PS5 and XSX then you build it for the most powerful console and scale down. Considering it's pretty safe to assume that the PS5 and XSX combined will probably be the lion's share of consoles sold, it wouldn't be very smart to build your game around the XSS first.
There are things to consider in the design of a game that aren't scalable with sliders. The gap between the average gaming PC, the Nintendo Switch, the rumoured Lockhart and the PS5/XSX could lead to drastic differences between games depending on the hardware envelop targeted. What I am curious is to know is : will it be visible on launch game or not (I include the first financial quarter in the "launch" timeline).

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Ill never forget the snarky "heh, i guess your getting the inferior version" posts for games like dragon age inquisition and shadow of mordor from back in 2014.....people were really on some shit with their console superiority complexes

I mean we've had this shit basically forever.

There's always a spike at the start of the gen as we wait for more points of differentiation to filter out between the platforms.
I can remember epic arguments over Mortal Kombat and who got the best version. "Sweat peasants" were a thing.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it'll be like an evening in Skanstull after a football game with grown ups shouting that the team they root for is better than the other. Love that. No, not really.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chivalry 2 devs on next gen

Steve: I'm actually not sure what has been released about the consoles and I know more than the public probably, so... We're excited about it. I think it's definitely a step forward.

Alex: We're just talking about Chivalry II on PC today, obviously, but we watch everything in the industry that's happening. I think it's exciting to see what direction each of the publishers is taking, whether it's Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo or Stadia as you were talking about. As enthusiasts of the industry and people who play so many games, it's just cool to see what's coming next.

Steve: [The SSD improvement] really depends on the type of game. There's some games where that won't be a huge deal, but if you have anything that's open world or streaming, it really will make a difference.

wccftech.com

Chivalry II Dev: Next-Gen SSD Will Really Make a Difference for Open World, Less So for Other Games

Chivarly II developer Steve Piggott said the next-gen SSD will really make a difference for open world games, but not as much in other titles

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! I'll believe it when I see it. Having two threads early on in this speculation fest did nothing to keep the console warriors at bay. If your inclination is to start stirring trouble, why do so in a thread where nobody is likely to rise to the bait?

Nah the threads was better when they were split .
In fact it was a PS5 thread only for a few months before they combine them .
This was back on GAF .

Chivalry 2 devs on next gen

wccftech.com

Chivalry II Dev: Next-Gen SSD Will Really Make a Difference for Open World, Less So for Other Games

Chivarly II developer Steve Piggott said the next-gen SSD will really make a difference for open world games, but not as much in other titles

As a user anything that cut down loading going to be a huge difference for me.
Fighting games now take forever compare to the old days .

Oct 25, 2017
There are things to consider in the design of a game that aren't scalable with sliders. The gap between the average gaming PC, the Nintendo Switch, the rumoured Lockhart and the PS5/XSX could lead to drastic differences between games depending on the hardware envelop targeted. What I am curious is to know is : will it be visible on launch game or not (I include the first financial quarter in the "launch" timeline).
Right, it wouldn't just come down to cutting resolution and what not. It would be about scaling down level design and gameplay systems. If we assume that sort of stuff will see a notable change because of the much better tech, ports down to the lower spec consoles wouldn't be a given.

We would probably get more situations like Rise of the Tomb Raider where an entirely different studio would have to handle the port. And that doesn't guarantee a quality port nor is it something they would be able to consistently do.

So, you either start with the lowest spec and scale up or you just do next gen only games. I think starting from the top and working down has too many constraints to make it feasible.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
The good part of feb coming to a close is the realization that a ton the people who think that they know whats going on have no clue

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I expect that it will continue, but it will take on a different tone, and those involved will be more readily recognized for the conspiracy theorists they are.

I prefer my fanboy console warriors out in the open, where they can be seen, refuted, and ignored. What I don't like is the more insidious console warring that usually takes the form of concern trolling and confirmation bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.