• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Hmm, this is the second time something has been mentioned about Scarlett including a 4K camera for streaming. That pastebin sounds so annoying it could be right!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Then again, we have MS that are supposedly using the GPU for decompression, wouldnt it be a problem for in game streaming? Although it does seem like the GPU boosts the decompression performance by 40x going by the research you linked, it would be a major bottleneck while rendering, as it would force a major chunk of the GPU to be utilized for decompression.

It wouldn't necessarily be a problem for streaming - it's a balancing act, though. You likely can get a fairly significant speed up in decompression speed for streaming while taking a relatively minor hit on perf. BUT you likely won't be anywhere near maxing out that pipe. It wouldn't be an issue at all for regular loading, so you'd see a major boost in speed, cutting loading times considerably.

And, honestly, it makes sense if your intention is to keep some degree of compatibility with the older consoles packing slow HDDs. You get some of the benefits from packing much faster storage - loading screens virtually disappear - without creating an environment that would make cross-gen more complicated than necessary - you still have to be mindful about what and how you're streaming stuff.

Also likely allows MS to go with a fairly straight-forward, off-the-shelf-ish NAND drive implementation.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
The millionaire's console.

maxresdefault.jpg

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I know what you mean and you're probably right but, no, I cannot get hyped on a 2060 GPU, sorry
Because you think of the 2060 as a PC gfx card, not a console GPU.

A 2060 used in consoles is 4-5 times faster than a 2080 Ti on PC, but to understand this you have to be a CS/CE

BTW, the Navi Chip used in PS5/Scarlett is at a minimum on 2070 Super Level when comparing to a PC card. But again, when in development for console titles it will be faster than a 2080 Ti by far, and really by far.

the 2080 Ti or PC cards in general have a potential, but it cant be used on PCs due to the amount of different configs.

this is why in consoles GPUs are much faster

(I am about to graduate in EECS, so I dont speculate here with no background in this ;) )

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

A 2060 used in consoles is 4-5 times faster than a 2080 Ti on PC, but to understand this you have to be a CS/CE

BTW, the Navi Chip used in PS5/Scarlett is at a minimum on 2070 Super Level when comparing to a PC card. But again, when in development for console titles it will be faster than a 2080 Ti by far, and really by far.

the 2080 Ti or PC cards in general have a potential, but it cant be used on PCs due to the amount of different configs.

(I am about to graduate in EECS, so I dont speculate here with no background in this ;) )
Hm I think you are wrong ? Consoles don't have this advantage anymore.
Hd 7990 was equivalent to 2080 ti today at the time ps4 was launched and run games until nowadays much better than ps4 @1080p

HD 7990 in 2019

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma

you forgot to add a j/k to your post

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

skynews-drew-scanlon-blinking-white-guy_4786055.jpg

I dont doubt that lower level development will help boost performance, but a 2060 being 4x faster than a 2080ti? It doesnt really work like that.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is pretty brutal. I wasn't expecting it to be great at launch, but it seems like they have no idea what they're doing. This is Ouya bad.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Why would they use consoles to power stuff for goldmann Sachs???????
And then annoucne that for all those banking gamers in a video?
This sounds like the most obvious bs ever.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Just out of interest was the original xbox considered an absolute beast when it launched?
I know it was powerful because it had 64mb of ram and a 733mhz cpu and a 300mhz gpu, but I didn't really know if that was expected or not.

OG XBOX was the only one with internal storage, and had an actual nvidia chip and a intel PC style cpu. There's a reason the mod community loved the shit out of it.

It was basically a PC in a box back in 2001.

xb360 was beefy as well, especially when you considered when it dropped.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
skynews-drew-scanlon-blinking-white-guy_4786055.jpg

I dont doubt that lower level development will help boost performance, but a 2060 being 4x faster than a 2080ti? It doesnt really work like that.
it depends of course on the level of code optimization, but this is the case or rather the achievable thing.

Minimum is double performance as a equivalent pc pendant. If you guys dont believe me,Mr Carmack himself gave smbdy the same answer to this case back when PS4 launched and some complaint thaf its GPU is too weak. I will look for that tweet.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
it depends of course on the level of code optimization, but this is the case or rather the achievable thing.

Minimum is double performance as a equivalent pc pendant. If you guys dont believe me,Mr Carmack himself gave smbdy the same answer to this case back when PS4 launched and some complaint thaf its GPU is too weak. I will look for that tweet.
That was refering to the comparison to DX9, and presumably about CPUs.
We have found out time and time again THIS generation, under DX11 (on NV) and especially DX12 and VUlkan that it is not the case.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

If this isn't sarcasm, let me cast doubt about the graduating part here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

And yet there's not a single instance where an HD7970 performed the same or worse than a PS4.

If anything, benchmarks this generation has proven multiple times that equivalent PC GPUs performed more or less the same as their console counterparts

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, at best the gain on the GPU front seems to be 0-20%. A 580 tends to match the X1X pretty well. Occasionally it does slightly worse but then again it also has less bandwidth.

I also remember the 750ti beating the PS4 early in the gen despite being weaker. Nowadays that isn't the case anymore but it shows that it isn't even a sure thing that a console GPU outperforms an equivelant PC GPU. It requires time and effort from devs.

Examples show that this just isn't the case. Like I said above a 580 can match a X1X, which wouldn't be possible if what you said was true.
If it really was 2x the performance the X1X would match a 2070 Super.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, can't wait for Xbox 365 so I can update spreadsheets and ppt while I game. I hope there is integrated copy paste feature. And native Outlook support.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Maybe 4-5 times was a uber exaggeration, I get that. But again, this is the reason people always wonder years later how Gfraphics like these and that are possible on such an old GPU, which PC counterpart couldnt start the game not even in the lowest settings.

But yes, a Navi like Klee is telling, should be in the End faster than a 2080 Ti on PC.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day just looking at one part of the system will never give you a full picture .
That is not to say consoles gpu will be even 40% better or some nonsense like that .
Still when making the game it's not like the devs don't look at the full system and make there games around that .

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah, at best the gain on the GPU front seems to be 0-20%. A 580 tends to match the X1X pretty well. Occasionally it does slightly worse but then again it also has less bandwidth.

I also remember the 750ti beating the PS4 early in the gen despite being weaker. Nowadays that isn't the case anymore but it shows that it isn't even a sure thing that a console GPU outperforms an equivelant PC GPU. It requires time and effort from devs.

Examples show that this just isn't the case. Like I said above a 580 can match a X1X, which wouldn't be possible if what you said was true.
If it really was 2x the performance the X1X would match a 2070 Super.
Probably a middling Ryzen professor and a 5700 THATS modified heavily. Would still be impressive

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe 4-5 times was a uber exaggeration, I get that. But again, this is the reason people always wonder years later how Gfraphics like these and that are possible on such an old GPU, which PC counterpart couldnt start the game not even in the lowest settings.

But yes, a Navi like Klee is telling, should be in the End faster than a 2080 Ti on PC.
Sure, eventually there'll likely be a Navi that's faster than a 2080 Ti, but you're not going to get it in a console. Not on this node you won't.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read that pastebin. Some solid gold stuff right there.

Goldman Sachs being part of a hype video, free XBL for 1 hour and 15 minutes a day. Kinect "stream" that's once again bundled with the Xbox.

It's all just dumb and unbelievable enough to be the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.