• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I would hazard a guess and say one being released in 2016 and the other in 2019 has something to do with it.

And DG can't really touch a little something else NG are working on.

d20171027_01_T2_PGW_Portraits_04_02_17de6293a4cb2f55914b6125673026c7.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_06_11_at_6.19.52_PM.0.png

First image isnt from gameplay.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
If you go back to one of the sources of that rumour it's not even talking about PS5 only .
https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/126623-amd-gonzalo-apu-spotted-zen-2-plus-navi-10-lite/
Which DF seem to forget to put and using numbers from PS4 line saying they close mean it can be PS5 not that much to go on lol.
So do we have a better source on that ?

Errr... the numbering just makes it look like a PS5 thou.. I'm curious. about those clocks.. it's kinda like that pastebine that got posted here

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is that really good enough to roll with as fact? I don't think so.

Definitely not as fact, but the research it's based on is a guy who combs benchmark databases and successfully picked up the PS4 pro chip and subor z chips months before launch.

So a pretty good track record.

I'd say it's pretty likely this chip will end up in either PS5 or Xbox one.

I guess it's also possibly a custom apple chip.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Errr... the numbering just makes it look like a PS5 thou.. I'm curious. about those clocks.. it's kinda like that pastebine that got posted here
the paste bin person just saw that it was originally 1 Ghz then boosted to 1.8Ghz and used the same logic on xbox.
i really dont see why we should read into paste bin leaks that are probably made by people looking at this thread, seeing the discussion and faking details accordingly the satisfy the current speculation.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
the paste bin person just saw that it was originally 1 Ghz then boosted to 1.8Ghz and used the same logic on xbox.
i really dont see why we should read into paste bin leaks that are probably made by people looking at this thread, seeing the discussion and faking details accordingly the satisfy the current speculation.

I'm emphasising the clocks on the DF article and the credible Gonzalo leaks btw, not the paste bin per say.

It's curious that Gonzalo has some really good clocking going from 1.1 to 1.8

Yeah we did a few pages. back, this is where Richard got his info from to make the video

This guy is quite legit I talk to him a lot regarding Intel iGPUS (more recently ice Lake Intel iris Plus)

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Not necessarily. There was a rumor that Scarlet will be used for general streaming by MS and thus will include FP64 logic which could ramp up die size. And of course RT implementation could be different.

However, if Sony can get 40CU Navi to run at 1.8GHz... that's a magnificent achievement. I would rule out HBM2 in that case due to better thermals, but they must be using a heavy cooling system. I'd also bet that they're confident they can move the APU to better nodes in 2 years or so. Otherwise they'll be stuck at high BOM for quite some time.

That was the Vega rumor which is dead dead dead.

"ZD..."

D is for Desktop. It would have 'G' otherwise.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Does it exist? Yes, will they ship it? Working on seeing what the latest is.

Infinite, if not a pre-rendered video, was running on a PC.

This would be very interesting... Could you figure out what comments did 3rd party devs said regarding Lockhart?

I wanna know more about this story and how it ended up with MS cancel it if it did so.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Does it exist? Yes, will they ship it? Working on seeing what the latest is.

Infinite, if not a pre-rendered video, was running on a PC.
assuming MS decides to not ship lockhart, do you think they will change their current anaconda targets in a significant way? i assume that with the 2 skus MS planned on going with no/minimal loss on anaconda, but assuming that it is getting cancelled they must be reevaluating their plans? might be just lowering the target price of anaconda as another option.

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when we'd hit the point of calling Reiner a liar.
We were already heading that way several pages ago with bcatwilly trying to discredit him over a series of posts.

Unless the PS5 comes with a free copy of Ridge Racer 2, i will certainly not be paying more than $500 for the system, lol.
PS5 is gonna come with a Bluepoint remake of Ridge Racer Type-4 with RTRT. The trailer announcing it on stage will just be a next-gen version of its intro.

#believe

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
A die size which is bigger means that the console packs more stuff like more RT cores or more CUs?

Bu the XB O X is stronger yet much smaller than the PS4 Pro which was obviously huge (on of the biggest consoles in history). Does that mean the PS5 will pack a better cooling method hence the smaller size and the higher clock speeds?

Yeah or above.

Xbox 1X console box is smaller than the Pro but the die size is larger.

The og XB1 die was larger than the PS4 despite being 33% less powerful.

Regardless, 380+mmsq for a console APU is fucking humongous. Given that we're also talking about 7nm wafer pricing, either MS is preparing to perpetually sink their console hardware profitability or Lockheart is real and Anaconda will be a $699+ box.

Or somebody dun boobed with their math.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

The og XB1 die was larger than the PS4 despite being 33% less powerful and also clocked slightly lower.

Regardless, 380+mmsq for a console APU is fucking humongous. Given that we're also talking about 7nm wafer pricing, either MS is preparing to perpetually sink their console hardware profitability or Lockheart is real and Anaconda will be a $699+ box.

But given the rumors of power differential and the possibility of the size of the die, how do those two align? Do we really think MS is going to make a massive SOC, thats substantially less powerful than PS5, and $699? Given what happened this gen, is it realistic they would fail that bad in all aspects? I guess its possible but.....

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The og XB1 die was larger than the PS4 despite being 33% less powerful.

They ain't launching a $699 box.

I think they've scrapped the 2 skus.

If I had to call it right now I'd say:

MS $499 4-12 more CUs than PS5 decent overall edge

PS5 $399 and close enough to MS to not be a huge deal and it will outsell MS launch aligned roughly 2:1.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We were already heading that way several pages ago with bcatwilly trying to discredit him over a series of posts.

PS5 is gonna come with a Bluepoint remake of Ridge Racer Type-4 with RTRT. The trailer announcing it on stage will just be a next-gen version of its intro.

#believe

I'll foam at the mouth. I'm serious. One of my favorite games ever.

Then I'll preorder it for the Switch.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If the Gonzalo leak is true, PS5 will be around 9.2TF.

I think PS5 is 40~44CU @ 1.8GHz = 9.2TF~ 10.1TF
And Scarlett between 48~54CU @ 1.6GHz = 9.8TF~11.0TF

36, 44, 52, 60......

Those are the most likely candidates for the number of CUs the consoles can have. Just add 4CU to all of them and you get the real number of CUs from their vanilla chip. Before CU deactivation.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Even though that video was fairly accurate, MS has just too much of a history of being nebulous and misleading with their marketing for me to put any stock into it. If we get some corroboration, sure, let's take it much more seriously. Until then, I'm skeptical.
They purposely shot the video so as to obscure the total number of RAM chips. The package surfaces are also visible and actually indicated varying densities. This leads to the authenticity IMO.

Feb 10, 2018
If the Gonzalo leak is true, PS5 will be around 9.2TF.

I think PS5 is 40~44CU @ 1.8GHz = 9.2TF~ 10.1TF
And Scarlett between 48~54CU @ 1.6GHz = 9.8TF~11.0TF

One of the reasons I think 36 could happen is Richard from digital foundry saying that 36 may make it easier for BC with PS4 Pro.
8.2tf RDNA is still better then vega64 performance. Which is a real nice leap.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
So, are we going to see real time graphics like in the Motorstorm E3 2005 reveal trailer or not yet? ;)

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
They ain't launching a $699 box.

I think they've scrapped the 2 skus.

If I had to call it right now I'd say:

MS $499 4-12 more CUs than PS5 decent overall edge

PS5 $399 and close enough to MS to not be a huge deal and it will outsell MS launch aligned roughly 2:1.

No way either console sees that level of increase in die area over the other.

That's a pipedream.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so we are once again ignoring journalists talking to developers and putting personal biases first to get that 20% xbox scarlett lead huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.