• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
We don't have the direct quotes from Jim Ryan in regards to the 'default version.' It's paraphrased based off a larger interview, which we don't have the context of why he's saying it.

It could very well have been prompted by CNET asking if there'd a premium/optionality to the custom SSD, and Jim saying the SSD comes by default.

Also, in most product lines, there are variants of the same SKU anyway. Like 1TB versions or 500GB versions of same console, etc. Or how PS3 had different number of USB slots, etc depending on which price point at launch.

Nov 12, 2017
We don't have the direct quotes from Jim Ryan in regards to the 'default version.' It's paraphrased based off a larger interview, which we don't have the context of why he's saying it.

It could very well have been prompted by CNET asking if there'd a premium/optionality to the custom SSD, and Jim saying the SSD comes by default.

Also, in most product lines, there are variants of the same SKU anyway. Like 1TB versions or 500GB versions of same console, etc. Or how PS3 had different number of USB slots, etc depending on which price point at launch.
Peccato! ((( So I'll back to think that ps5 is 399

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Final prediction for xbox next-gen:
1. Lockhart: 6.7 TF @ $350
2. Anaconda: 12.3 TF @ $500

Available Fall 2020 with Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8 and another new IP 1st party game

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
Seemed like Todd Howard was really impressed with PS5s speed durimg the ign unfiltered interview.
He even asked if Sony released the numbers as he didnt want to get in trouble.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final prediction for xbox next-gen:
1. Lockhart: 6.7 TF @ $350
2. Anaconda: 12.3 TF @ $500

Available Fall 2020 with Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8 and another new IP 1st party game
I'd say I agree with you, but with some additional power.

I'd say both systems use zen 3 with 3 way smt with custom cores for Ray Tracing. The Anaconda have more of those cores of course.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Asked in the SIE WWS thread, but thought I'd ask here as well. How many people think Sony is waiting to hit the 100 million mark on the PS4 to do their next big "event", be it a State of Play or something else? They were only about 3.2 million away from the mark at the end of April so they've got to be getting very close right now. I dunno if this hypothetical event would also include next gen related stuff, but we've gotten more than enough "rumors" that claim something next gen related will be discussed around this time of the year so I suppose it's a possibility.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Another things when the two japaneses developer(Nagoshi and another guy) were talking about PS5, they said the custom SSD is not expensive but with a great performance/cost.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Asked in the SIE WWS thread, but thought I'd ask here as well. How many people think Sony is waiting to hit the 100 million mark on the PS4 to do their next big "event", be it a State of Play or something else? They were only about 3.2 million away from the mark at the end of April so they've got to be getting very close right now. I dunno if this hypothetical event would also include next gen related stuff, but we've gotten more than enough "rumors" that claim something next gen related will be discussed around this time of the year so I suppose it's a possibility.
i doubt its related. they might do some special edition ps4 as celebration.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So please forget about the 160$ price point for 24GB, people here recite it but it's not true. It will probably be closer to 100$ or 110$ if in January 2019 it was 133$, just a few dollars more than the PS4's 88$ per 8GB of GDDR5.

I mean it should be fairly obvious that 16Gb or less is ridiculous for a 2020 next gen console, but we have people pushing that quite heavily in the thread.

24Gb is what I would be expecting, on a 384-bit bus (just like the Xbox One X's).

Basically my expectations are for about 2x the performance of the X on both Anaconda and PS5 re: RAM and GPU with a significantly better CPU in Zen 2. 11-13TF, around 24Gb RAM total in some configuration.

Some of the specs being thrown about in this thread for a late 2020 console, especially ones that might cost $500 and be sold at a loss, are embarrassing. I keep saying it but there is no way we're getting an 8TF 16Gb PS5 - that would be an embarrassment for Sony.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
With each console cycle the power gaps get smaller and smaller it seems. I remember going from PS2 to PS3 was said to be something like 32 times the power of PS2. Now I'm not even sure if next gen will be 2x more powerful then current gen (if you use the X as a base). Hope I'm wrong though.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
i doubt its related. they might do some special edition ps4 as celebration.

I dunno, it just seems like such an important milestone and the general timing seems to be perfect to have an event that lines up with the milestone. I do think at least one of the trillion rumors we got in the past couple of months mentioned having an event to go along with the 100 million mark, it just makes so much sense in my head, lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
With each console cycle the power gaps get smaller and smaller it seems. I remember going from PS2 to PS3 was said to be something like 32 times the power of PS2. Now I'm not even sure if next gen will be 2x more powerful then current gen (if you use the X as a base). Hope I'm wrong though.
why would you use x as a base? thats incredibly dumb.
I dunno, it just seems like such an important milestone and the general timing seems to be perfect to have an event that lines up with the milestone. I do think at least one of the trillion rumors we got in the past couple of months mentioned having an event to go along with the 100 million mark, it just makes so much sense in my head, lol.
in the words of kratos "Keep your expectations low boy, and you will never be dissapointed "

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Didn't the Sony SSD patent seem to indicate it was a cost effective method as well?

Yes and from what my friend told me, they took some NAND flash and treat it differently than PC. He said because standard NAND flash speed work slower than what it is possible to do. It could be much better but they would need to design something with specific interface in PC. The speed will not be exactly the same because PC are more versatile but it could better. For him standard NAND Flash are treated like improved HDD.

Edit: For Sony this is not a SSD but Parrallel NAND Flash.

Last edited:

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
Yes and from what my friend told me, they took some NAND flash and treat it differently than PC. He said because standard NAND flash speed work slower than what it is possible to do. It could be much better but they would need to design something with specific interface in PC. The speed will not be exactly the same because PC are more versatile but it could better. For him standard NAND Flash are treated like improved HDD.

Cerny literally said "SSD" in Wired interview.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Next gen could just be an incremental upgrade then.
not really. i am assuming a lot of developers will be using checkerboard as the targeted res next gen, and that would still mean around 3x graphics jump, which is almost in line with the ps4 to ps4 graphics jump.
and that is not accounting for all the other huge jumps in the other console components.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
not really. i am assuming a lot of developers will be using checkerboard as the targeted res next gen, and that would still mean around 3x graphics jump, which is almost in line with the ps4 to ps4 graphics jump.
and that is not accounting for all the other huge jumps in the other console components.

I hope it's a fairly sizable leap. Pretty exited for the new systems.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic

Well it's still a SSD, this term tells you nothing about used technology. It's just simply "Solid State Drive".

Status
Not open for further replies.