• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Why are unnamed insiders being taken more seriously than named ones (Jez, Tom) when it comes to XsX TFlops? We have multiple and reliable sources stating MS is hitting 12TF (plus Phil himself in some ways) vs "people with dev kits" all over the map regarding where Sony sits and how they compare to MS (9.2TF, >10, "basically the same).
Why does the desire for PS5 specs have to take away from the educated MS specs? It's funny to read people's "assurance" that MS can't be 12tf (again, a theory more supported than not) and then see "9.2TF PS5 is possible because a separate RT chip will make the gains" with no back-up to that claim (that I've seen outside of era->internet->era).

Speculation is fun, but throwing doubt just to one-up each other is kind of lame.

Also, and a bit of a swerve admittedly - does/will Switch Pro stuff ever factor into this thread? Ninty hasn't attempted the "Power Crown" since GC, so they're the great unknown at this point...

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
The poster from the other site that has been fully vetted as a legit insider by Mod of War just posted that a few weeks ago his source at SIE texted him not to expect any big reveal in February

I don't see any legitimate insiders going to the other site to reveal information. That place is dead in the eyes of those involved in the video game industry after the fallout. Its either going to be in a topic-specific subreddit or the premier video game discussion area on the internet, ResetERA. Not talking about random anonymous leaks, but insiders sharing their insights or participating in discussion.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why are unnamed insiders being taken more seriously than named ones (Jez, Tom) when it comes to XsX TFlops? We have multiple and reliable sources stating MS is hitting 12TF (plus Phil himself in some ways) vs "people with dev kits" all over the map regarding where Sony sits and how they compare to MS (9.2TF, >10, "basically the same).
Why does the desire for PS5 specs have to take away from the educated MS specs? It's funny to read people's "assurance" that MS can't be 12tf (again, a theory more supported than not) and then see "9.2TF PS5 is possible because a separate RT chip will make the gains" with no back-up to that claim (that I've seen outside of era->internet->era).

Speculation is fun, but throwing doubt just to one-up each other is kind of lame.

Also, and a bit of a swerve admittedly - does/will Switch Pro stuff ever factor into this thread? Ninty hasn't attempted the "Power Crown" since GC, so they're the great unknown at this point...

In the yearning for more information, we shouldn't take it from anywhere. It's clear Jez has connections, but it's also clear he's a bit of a fan boy. Perhaps even a professional one. I'm not one to take him at his word without someone else confirming something the way I am about Jason. Just my own opinion.

Not really an unknown for Switch, they have to deal with severe heating issues with their hardware design, they only can do so much.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In the yearning for more information, we shouldn't take it from anywhere. It's clear Jez has connections, but it's also clear he's a bit of a fan boy. Perhaps even a professional one. I'm not one to take him at his word without someone else confirming something the way I am about Jason. Just my own opinion.

Not really an unknown for Switch, they have to deal with severe heating issues with their hardware design, they only can do so much.

I'd say Jez gets a bad wrap mostly for his opinions on games such as saying things like Sea of Thieves is going to be the next pubg, but when it comes to info he's pretty spot on.....that being said Sea Of Thieves is a great game and deserves a second or even third chance for anyone who hasn't played in a while lol

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Basically people aren't denying the 12 TF claim. They're saying they mean GCN, which when compared to the NAVI format is lower TF, closer to 9.

We won't really know for certain until, well, until we know more.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Dear Diary,
It's the 28th of January 2020. I woke with great hope and excitement expecting some news about the next generation of PlayStation. My disappointment continues. I shall live through another bitter day with no reveal day announcements.
Life goes on. :(

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dear Diary,
It's the 28th of January 2020. I woke with great hope and excitement expecting some news about the next generation of PlayStation. My disappointment continues. I shall live through another bitter day with no reveal day announcements.
Life goes on. :(
3 more days(Jan 31) and then u can be upset 😜

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is what i meant. In my opinion, what Spencer said is, on purpose, ambiguous. If current flops are 'better' than previous ones, we need less of them to do the same, so double the power/performance seems reasonable to align with less than double 'better' flops. But also leaves the door open to think double the flops, even if those are rdna.
Right. People are stuck on these numbers. I mean, 10TF is freakin amazing!

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'd say Jez gets a bad wrap mostly for his opinions on games such as saying things like Sea of Thieves is going to be the next pubg, but when it comes to info he's pretty spot on.....that being said Sea Of Thieves is a great game and deserves a second or even third chance for anyone who hasn't played in a while lol

Jez also gets a bad rap for signal boosting and being friends with a homophobe. See here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...ople-to-follow-homophobic-toxic-gamer.123121/

His info may be legit, but I think quite a few people take issue with him in general.

On topic: If Sony is announcing anything this week, it's likely before Friday. Hopefully we see something from them soon, before people get even more antsy!

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
well, from a marketing standpoint it would make sense if it's not actually 12tf rdna, if you say the new console is "n" times more powerful than the old one, you would use the biggest multiplier possible, expecially considering how much vague is the term "power"

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
well, from a marketing standpoint it would make sense if it's not actually 12tf rdna, if you say the new console is "n" times more powerful than the old one, you would use the biggest multiplier possible, expecially considering how much vague is the term "power"

Right. If the XSX is 9.2tf it will still be twice the power of Xbox One X. Hell an 8tf gpu would still yield twice the performance with cpu and SSD added to the equation.

I think a lot of people are going to be really disappointed once final hardware numbers are given.

This is not the beast you are looking for.

We all want 12tf+ consoles. I just don't think it's possible in a $500 box. I hope I'm wrong...

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Am I the only one who thinks that MS supporting their old consoles for a year or two after launching XSX makes the launch of Lockhart unlikely in 2020?

Like, they already have cheaper alternatives on the market
I think that they won't want to release Lockhart right away anyways unless they think Sony is really going to undercut Series X price. In the initial console launch window they want the hardcore to buy the Series X for the higher price ($499, $599?), not split that market in half. I think a lot of people forget that even though Microsoft screwed the pooch at launch in 2013 with their terrible messaging and lower power box at a higher price they still sold a lot of consoles in the first month (3 million for Xbox One compared to 4 million for PS4 if I remember correctly), and then hit 10 million in sales at the one year mark (compared to 13.5 million for PS4). If Microsoft bundles Gamepass with the console and Halo Infinite looks good at launch I see Xbox probably doing really well in the US, UK, and their other strong markets (Mexico, Brazil, etc...). It makes more sense to launch Lockhart after that initial rush by hardcore fans dies down. If the PS5 is significantly cheaper though? All bets are off then......

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
If I understand the question posed, the idea is if it's cheaper to run an existing chip at a higher spec (therefore having less usable parts) to hit a performance target (say 10 TFLOPS) vs. building a new chip from scratch that has overhead to disable CU's to also get to 10 TFLOPS?

Is that the gist?

This is a super interesting question I'll have to think about it. There are a lot of variables at play, not the least of which is - when is this decision being made?

In general, the answer would doubtless be to build the right chip. Getting good yields and having overhead is going to be the most cost effective in the long run. That said, the sunk costs for a whole new chip development are, like, A LOT. So you don't want to do that twice.

But really it's sort of unanswerable without a lot more information. I think it really comes down to how much the yields are impacted and how the longevity of the good chips are affected. I've said before that +/- 10% is a good rule of thumb where you could consider the performance increases vs. the yield implications to be tolerable.

At the risk of beating a dead horse (since I've said this often), I also need to point out the case and cooling design limitations. You can can crank the silicon all the way up until you only have 1 good chip off the wafer, but if you can't cool it once it's in the console, it's no good. So that's a limiting factor in this as well.

(QUICK EDIT: Remember that the cost of throwing away bad chips goes up at a faster rate then the number of bad chips. So if you were expecting 90% yields, removing 20% more chips is ~30% more expensive per chip. Removing 30% more chips makes each chip 50% more expensive, and so on)
This is great. Thanks!

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I don't want to report on the table topics already discussed several times, I'm just curious.
I've never had time and effort to analyze and study this famous "github leak" that's so much talked about. Kindly, could someone briefly explain it to me as if it is explained to a 5 year old toddler?

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Gentlemen,

I have a prediction concerning the event for the reveal of the Ps5 that I am confident will turn out to be 100% correct

Once the date is known this thread will look like this gif below

FilthyRawJaeger-size_restricted.gif

The crying girl represents Aegon Snake/thuway

The velociraptor represents Cerny/Jim Ryan

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Gentlemen,

I have a prediction concerning the event for the reveal of the Ps5 that I am confident will turn out to be 100% correct

Once the date is known this thread will look like this gif below

FilthyRawJaeger-size_restricted.gif

The crying girl represents Aegon Snake/thuway

The velociraptor represents Cerny/Jim Ryan

Now I'm going to have to watch the Velocipastor trailer again.

Feb 8, 2018
Guys I don't know it has been mentioned or not but the insider Who is saying one source has told him no feb reveal . Just a state of play with box and games.

he said ms and Sony won't reveal the actual TF as they are both around 10 TF .

I m gonna say bs on xsx being 10 TF. Phil retweeted articles were they mentioned 12 Navi tf specifically.

One thing I found interesting about the information shared in OP is that someone mentioned that people will be more impressed by the games than the specs. 10tf looks good to me tbh.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He also said 8x xbox one which is 10.4tf
For x1x they used a multiplier that would come to less than 6tf no ?

The only weird part was when digital foundry was doing the article , they reached out to phil and he didnt comment on exact tf number which is abit weird but maybe they just dont wanna say 12 when the other console is 4 .

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Right. People are stuck on these numbers. I mean, 10TF is freakin amazing!
Agree, 10 rdna flops is really good, and if people find difficult that a 9.2 TF console is sold at the friendly 399 price, i wonder if it is reasonable to ask for 12 rdna TF, that will mean reaching a price that may compromise the comercial viability of the product ( yes there's the 4TF console from MS... but until we can confirm it and get a price it is even more difficult to predict how will the market react.)
I think both will be around 10 TF, rdna, that would mean 5-6 times the power of Base PS4, which is great and with other enhancements, will mean a really meaty upgrade. I am still amazed at what can be done with less than 2TF and a Jaguar CPU, so or eyes will melt with almost 10TF

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Why would still being sold be a qualifier?
Regardless of which one he is using, the only number that matters is the higher of the two discrepancies. If it comes in under double the X, it's an untrue statement he made, correct? It is just my assumption that he would be using the S considering it is closer. If you go to 9x the S it is higher than double the X, which could also be untrue. Which is another reason I would assume it is the S because otherwise you could just say 9x because 9x the One is under 2x the X whereas that is not true of the S.

casnix

Apr 19, 2018
New Hampshire
So X1sX is either 10.4, 11.2, or 12 tflops depending on what X1 we're talking about? 🤔

I can't wait until both of these consoles are out and this tflop guessing madness is over.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I've got a lot of this thread to catch up on, but before I do:

When you see how the Playstation Classic bombed, I think it is not SONY alone who doesn't care about BC of PS1 game.

Really? The PlayStation classic was a broken mess, any other recent mini-consoles that wasn't a broken mess was a roaring success. Plus, the idea of digital purchases persisting is pretty much standard across everything ever these days.

This is the worst take ever.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think that they won't want to release Lockhart right away anyways unless they think Sony is really going to undercut Series X price. In the initial console launch window they want the hardcore to buy the Series X for the higher price ($499, $599?), not split that market in half. I think a lot of people forget that even though Microsoft screwed the pooch at launch in 2013 with their terrible messaging and lower power box at a higher price they still sold a lot of consoles in the first month (3 million for Xbox One compared to 4 million for PS4 if I remember correctly), and then hit 10 million in sales at the one year mark (compared to 13.5 million for PS4). If Microsoft bundles Gamepass with the console and Halo Infinite looks good at launch I see Xbox probably doing really well in the US, UK, and their other strong markets (Mexico, Brazil, etc...). It makes more sense to launch Lockhart after that initial rush by hardcore fans dies down. If the PS5 is significantly cheaper though? All bets are off then......

I understand that Lockhart makes sense as a great 1080p console with a much better CPU, but let's say that MS releases it at 299$ (very unlikely, but let's say they do), they have Xbox One S and Xbox One X still on the market.

How do you justify Lockhart to people if it plays the same games as an Xbox One S?
Higher framerate? If users cared about framerate, they wouldn't play on console. Also, it's a hard sell if people can't see what it is.
Ultimate 1080p? They see Xbox One X for a little more, why not going for 4K?
Streaming box? That's called Xbox One SAD.
We need to put ourselves in the shoes of the millions of people who aren't as knowledgeable as we are.

It seriously makes no sense. I think Lockhart is not coming out this year, if ever. After all, we heard they MS were late with their dev-kits and so far it seems they only delivered SeX. Of course it's all speculation and I might be wrong, but again, it makes no sense to offer a cheaper alternative if you already have cheaper alternatives on the market... and if people will be able to play the same games on them!

Lockhart is either not happening or there's something we don't know about it. Maybe they will just retire the Xbox One or offer an upgrade program to the owners of the old console, but it sounds implausible.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Either Lockhart launches with the Series X, or it doesn't launch at all. Devs have to specifically target that device and if launch games aren't forced to target it, games launched before Lockhart wouldn't work on Lockhart without manual dev intervention. I doubt there would be some automated process for making a game work on the device either. And I can't imagine MS forcing devs to target a device that will not be available for many months after their game initially launches. Given that, I can't imagine a lower end sku launching after the Series X at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of which one he is using, the only number that matters is the higher of the two discrepancies. If it comes in under double the X, it's an untrue statement he made, correct? It is just my assumption that he would be using the S considering it is closer. If you go to 9x the S it is higher than double the X, which could also be untrue. Which is another reason I would assume it is the S because otherwise you could just say 9x because 9x the One is under 2x the X whereas that is not true of the S.
No. Because he didn't say double the Teraflops, he used a generally vague term "power".

some have argued that that word can only be interpreted one way, but that's just dumb. It's deliberately non-specific. Whether that's to conceal something awesome or merely great is TBD.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that Lockhart makes sense as a great 1080p console with a much better CPU, but let's say that MS releases it at 299$ (very unlikely, but let's say they do), they have Xbox One S and Xbox One X still on the market.

How do you justify Lockhart to people if it plays the same games as an Xbox One S?
Higher framerate? If users cared about framerate, they wouldn't play on console. Also, it's a hard sell if people can't see what it is.
Ultimate 1080p? They see Xbox One X for a little more, why not going for 4K?
Streaming box? That's called Xbox One SAD.
We need to put ourselves in the shoes of the millions of people who aren't as knowledgeable as we are.

It seriously makes no sense. I think Lockhart is not coming out this year, if ever. After all, we heard they MS were late with their dev-kits and so far it seems they only delivered SeX. Of course it's all speculation and I might be wrong, but again, it makes no sense to offer a cheaper alternative if you already have cheaper alternatives on the market... and if people will be able to play the same games on them!

Lockhart is either not happening or there's something we don't know about it. Maybe they will just retire the Xbox One or offer an upgrade program to the owners of the old console, but it sounds implausible.
I think you underestimate the appeal sth that carries a next-gen name has over the current one. Even if Lockhart overlaps in features and/or target audience with Xbox One S, X or SAD it would still be offered as a cheap unified alternative that plays ALL next-gen games (not just the ones of the next few years). MS can very well stop selling all other version (except from the one X I guess) as well.

What I can't see as realistic though is not launching Lockhart this year. You just can't launch a weaker version of a console after a stronger one and still expect all published games up to that point to be compatible with it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
For x1x they used a multiplier that would come to less than 6tf no ?

The only weird part was when digital foundry was doing the article , they reached out to phil and he didnt comment on exact tf number which is abit weird but maybe they just dont wanna say 12 when the other console is 4 .
It's all a bit odd. Guessing nobody wants to say definite numbers because they don't really look impressive compared to the previous gen(s) gpu jump

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I've got a lot of this thread to catch up on, but before I do:

Really? The PlayStation classic was a broken mess, any other recent mini-consoles that wasn't a broken mess was a roaring success. Plus, the idea of digital purchases persisting is pretty much standard across everything ever these days.

This is the worst take ever.
It is made to trigger nostalgia from people who doesn't follow gaming stuff anymore. Those people doesn't know Classic was broken and still didn't bought it.
Nes mini was difficult to find at launch because of pre order alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.