• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
From our cat friend:

Interesting, he thinks we might get more info from incoming PS Meeting then the one back in 2013.

fairly certain from my view too, cuz the wired articles covered most of the first half of a console reveal presentation

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
fairly certain from my view too, cuz the wired articles covered most of the first half of a console reveal presentation

The wired articles only really surfaced the 'cerny slide' part - maybe 10 minutes in a presentation and it'd be fine to repeat that to give it emphasis and fill in some of the gaps. Also the demos that were talked about (and DS5 features) are much better seen than described. I'm sure they'd show GT and Spiderman to demonstrate RT and the SSD speed but also they're likely to have other tech demos and proofs of concept to showcase too.

More than enough for a reveal event. Also an actual presentation/video is more concrete than a written article

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So we aren't expecting a PS meeting announce today anymore?

sure why not? I mean replace 'expecting' with 'hoping for' but it might come.

10 Lets start the countdown for 9PM JST (7am EST). end of Japanese day. Thats in about 3 hours. Then when that passes we can wait for 9am EST, then 9am PST, then 1pm PST. Then probably it'll be tomorrow.
20 goto 10

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Is Patent someone who can be trusted or what I don't even know his story.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
lol Nothing is happening this morning. Go about your day normally.

HERE:
Such an exciting time!!! About to go to bed over here, I'd love to see some exciting info when I wake up in the morning :)
When you wake up:

IpDAgCi.gif
Depends when he wakes up really
snooze is usually 15 minutes at most.

Few generally means 3-4

45-60 minutes.

So 8:09am PST or so.
Maybe a bunch of snoozes then

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
If we can't trust this patent guy that's another story, but he says something will happen. Okay?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If it's not Phison, then the reddit leak which had the die size 315mm2 and Phison ssd is wrong. We can easily discard that reddit rumor now

Not saying the Reddit leak is legit (it hasn't proven to be legit, most likely not legit), but I can see a devkit using an off the shell SSD setup in place of a WIP hw solution. The controller in the Reddit rumor suggests 5GB/s reads.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
If they can, developer will target native 4K. That is simply the way these things work. And there will be enough juice to get the games running at the target frame rates because there is a capable CPU this time round.

Again, these comments don't make much sense.

Any game running at 4K will be a better looking game running at reconstructed 4K.

Why would you target 4K to have a worse looking game? Why would either gamers or developers actively want their games to look and run worse?

Seriously trying to understand people like yourself clamouring for worse looking games.

Other than to have some PR check box what is the benefit of going for native 4K? The game, for 90% of people in normal play conditions, will not look any sharper but the graphics will be significantly worse and/or it will run worse. So what is the point? What is the tangible benefit of having a game run at native 4K rather than reconstructed 4K?

It's like saying you don't want games to use VRS. Funny how a lot of the people who have some weird aversion to reconstructed images seem totally OK with VRS.

Good VRS techniques provides a ~5-10% boost in GPU performance with minimal reduction in image quality.
Good reconstruction techniques provide a ~40% boost in GPU performance with minimal reduction in image quality (indeed with DLSS it actually IMPROVES image quality)

Why do you not want that?

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Again, these comments don't make much sense.

Any game running at 4K will be a better looking game running at reconstructed 4K.

Why would you target 4K to have a worse looking game? Why would either gamers or developers actively want their games to look and run worse?

Seriously trying to understand people like yourself clamouring for worse looking games.

Other than to have some PR check box what is the benefit of going for native 4K? The game, for 90% of people in normal play conditions, will not look any sharper but the graphics will be significantly worse and/or it will run worse. So what is the point? What is the tangible benefit of having a game run at native 4K rather than reconstructed 4K?

It's like saying you don't want games to use VRS. Funny how a lot of the people who have some weird aversion to reconstructed images seem totally OK with VRS.

VRS provides a ~5-10% boost in GPU performance with minimal reduction in image quality.
Good reconstruction provides a ~40% boost in GPU performance with minimal reduction in image quality (indeed with DLSS it actually IMPROVES image quality)

Why do you not want that?
Why is reconstruction even a thing? Reconstruction is a tool that developers can use to get more out of a system that is not as capable. It is the same as seeing dynamic resolution in games. In essence it is something that developers will go to if they need to, and if they don't, they will simply do the simple thing which is to output native resolutions.

This is the reason why you see a lot more of dynamic resolution on the launch Xbox One and Xbox One S, or some funny resolutions like 900p or in between while you see native 1080p on the PS4 for most games.

When you move to the mid gen refresh, what do you see? You tend to see more native 4K games running on Xbox One X, and checker board rendering being a thing on the PS4 Pro. In short, developers are not tripping over themselves to get their games looking 'massively better' by simply reconstructing a 720p image to higher resolutions or struggling with 1800p when they can output 4K with no issues.

Going into next gen, it is going to be even more of the same because tech evolves, and it is up to Microsoft and Sony to take advantage of the advances in tech. So it is not that I am averse to reconstruction techniques, it is that I simply look at the history of gaming, how it has advanced, and recognize that developers are likely going to do what they always do.

So, yes, you could see more temporal and/or spacial reconstruction in some games. Considering that third parties will target multiple devices including a whole host of PC's that will not be as capable, and that first party developers are there to show what systems are capable of, where do people think that this 40% power is going to go? Microsoft is going to be targeting PC too, and it is only a matter of time before Sony starts pursuing that model too as it is what makes financial sense. It is almost as if at times the real world, or Sony and Microsoft selling these consoles as 4K machines that may be capable of higher does not register.

So it is not what I want or do not want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.