• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
When people talk about the benefit of HBM, they talk about ditching traditional memory for HBM. When you combine it you lose most of them.

Hmm, not always. There's been quite a lot of speculation, and rumour, about AMD putting a (much smaller) amount of HBM on a APU to work (via HBCC) with general DDR4 to alleviate the common bandwidth problems APUs have working against DDR alone. Putting memory on or near the die as a compliment to larger system memory is not an unheard of idea more generally.

But I agree GDDR6 seems more likely, and the option floated with HBM2 seems to require some subtle calculus based on the public info we have. I would assume if someone did choose this that they did their homework though, in terms of costs and cost scaling.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, They also include VRAM. All 8GB of it.

Yep yep. I think Panello's estimates are getting people to question themselves all over again. We have been through all of this months ago and are now back to discussing sub 10 tflops consoles. lol

I actually think t's ok to trust Panello since he is pretty much the only one here with direct knowledge of MS's plans but he did leave 9 months ago back when MS was sure of having a more powerful console since everyone assumed Sony would be going with a $399 standard fan cooled system. But things have changed since then. When Brad Sams all of a sudden pointed out that MS was only trying to match Sony's performance targets instead of outright blowing past them, it became obvious that MS had underestimated Sony once again and were playing catch up. Panello wouldnt know this because he was already long gone. I would say Brad's sources are much more current than Panello's.

It's very curious that right around the time Brad said that bit about MS matching Sony's performance, we had begun to discuss the SSD rumors and started to take them seriously. I think MS caught wind of it around the same time and made the assumption that Sony wasnt going to go with a $399 console anymore and has since shifted focus to making sure they get the most tflops out of a $499 console. Which time and time again, seems to point to the 14 tflops number.

Anyway, with Cerny confirming devkits are going out soon and MS insiders doing the same, we will find out soon enough.

I am going with
PS5 - 14 tflops
Anaconda - 14-16 tflops.
No Lockheart.
I doubt MS caught wind of anything Sony is doing if at all. They would t respond to rumors. They go and talk to developers about what they want from a system. That's why the Xbox one and ps4 are similar. X86, cou, game DVR feature, mandatory game installs, etc. I am sure MS went to those same developers and talked about faster loading times and using ssd instead of a regular hard drive.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Has anybody really looked into it? The first patent (that incorporates HBM) is about memory that has a logic layer and can perform simple operations without using CPU or GPU resources.

This is why I'm shocked no one's looked into it, I'd love to but I'm an enthusiast, I don't dare try to share my own conclusions and draw wrong assumptions. One of the most reliable next gen insiders straight up said it's Arden and no one seems to have looked into the implications of the patent. Again, the Twitter troll is best to ignore from all accounts

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, not always. There's been quite a lot of speculation, and rumour, about AMD putting a (much smaller) amount of HBM on a APU to work (via HBCC) with general DDR4 to alleviate the common bandwidth problems APUs have working against DDR alone. Putting memory on or near the die as a compliment to larger system memory is not an unheard of idea more generally.

But I agree GDDR6 seems more likely, and the option floated with HBM2 seems to require some subtle calculus based on the public info we have. I would assume if someone did choose this that they did their homework though, in terms of costs and cost scaling.
Yeah, if it was a fake Id still be fascinated by the fact someone took their time to concoct that up.

Oct 27, 2017
I am going with
PS5 - 14 tflops
Anaconda - 14-16 tflops.
No Lockheart.
This is my preferred scenario imo.

If Xbox plans on releasing a cheaper streaming only box, why bother with Lockhart? It only muddies communications and gives devs a lower base line to target.

$200 Xbox Scarlett Streaming Box
$500 Xbox Scarlett Anaconda

And I think they need to have the Xbox Scarlett games be streamable to existing Xbox One devices. No real reason why they can't other than they're missing out on a hardware sale.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is why I'm shocked no one's looked into it, I'd love to but I'm an enthusiast, I don't dare try to share my own conclusions and draw wrong assumptions. One of the most reliable next gen insiders straight up said it's Arden and no one seems to have looked into the implications of the patent. Again, the Twitter troll is best to ignore from all accounts
No, the guy that talked about Arden actually didn't reference the patent but the table that was in the tweet included too.

First and foremost another example why that nut job that created that tweet is drawing links between things that are unrelated to each other. I really wish this tweet will be edited out of this thread.

And btw the table also lists Ariel. It is the same old list another person tweeted weeks ago.

D4eh6q0U4AAOHi-.png

D4eh_htUIAAWcK8.png

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that the secret saucefor next gen is the SSD and/or the RT.
Well, Cerny did mention how Spiderman could travel with a speed of a jet if devs coded for an SSD. Just imagine what that means for games. Incredibly fast travel without actual fast travel.

You can make a Superman game and not worry about him flying too fast. 8GB/s means you can fill up the VRAM in a second. if they go with 16GB GDDR6 RAM, you have 16GB of data in two seconds.

You can have Aloy fly on a storm bird.

You can finally pilot your spaceship in Destiny patrol areas.

Insane Christopher Nolan style switching between multiple scenarios all playing out at once. Think Titanfall 2's time travel section but on a bigger scale.

I think hardware RT might be tough to do, but both MS and Sony will try to outdo each other and that means they will be willing to take a loss to get that in there. it might come at the expense of tflops but i am pretty sure they will both have it. I highly doubt they will use it for global illumnation though. Thats just way too expensive. I think Spiderman buildings will have ray traced reflections. God of War doesnt need realistic light bounce either, its a fantasy setting. Death Stranding 2 or Ghost of Tshushima i can see using GI, but after seeing the Unity and Unreal Engine 4 GDC demos, i dont think RT will add that much to the image.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt MS caught wind of anything Sony is doing if at all. They would t respond to rumors. They go and talk to developers about what they want from a system. That's why the Xbox one and ps4 are similar. X86, cou, game DVR feature, mandatory game installs, etc. I am sure MS went to those same developers and talked about faster loading times and using ssd instead of a regular hard drive.
i am not saying MS went with the SSD just because Sony decided to. They were always going with the SSD. I am saying that they jsut didnt know Sony would be too. Otherwise Phil wouldnt have been so sure about getting the most powerful console out there.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
No, the guy that talked about Arden actually didn't reference the patent but the table that was in the tweet included too.

First and foremost another example why that nut job that created that tweet is drawing links between things that are unrelated to each other. I really wish this tweet will be edited out of this thread.

And btw the table also lists Ariel. It is the same old list another person tweeted weeks ago.

D4eh6q0U4AAOHi-.png

D4eh_htUIAAWcK8.png
Also Arden's Non-Transparent bridge and the patent seem to mesh. The processor connected to the HBM directly could be being communicated with via this bridge device.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Xbox plans on releasing a cheaper streaming only box, why bother with Lockhart? It only muddies communications and gives devs a lower base line to target.

And I think they need to have the Xbox Scarlett games be streamable to existing Xbox One devices. No real reason why they can't other than they're missing out on a hardware sale.
yep. streaming box makes more sense over lockheart now that they dont have to get a cheaper SKU out to match Sony at that pricepoint.

i think they can get the streaming box out for $100 to be competitive. Apple Tv and Google Chrome would be their direct competitor and at $200 they will be a $100 more than their direct competitors.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
i am not saying MS went with the SSD just because Sony decided to. They were always going with the SSD. I am saying that they jsut didnt know Sony would be too. Otherwise Phil wouldnt have been so sure about getting the most powerful console out there.
JFYI, a year ago Xbox had an open position looking for an engineer with system design experience incorporating SSDs including NVMes into a new system design. So that ship sailed already a long time ago.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

And that makes sense. Because they don't have any other options. There are hard bandwidth limitations they try to overcome.
Those APUs use DDR4 Ram on a 64bit memory interface for graphic operations.
Consoles don't have that problem. They have a lot of options with bigger memory interfaces and GDDR as memory.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017

The rumor is they want to create a better system than Sony for the same price. Again, MS and Sony talk to the same people about what they want in future hardware. Are you trying to say that Phil and company are caught off guard?

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
Hey Brad, have you heard anything about what the reaction inside Microsoft/Xbox was to the Wired PS5 article? After Stadia was announced you shared the email Phil sent the team, was there any communications after Sony's initial next gen plans were revealed?

If he sent an email out, no one has sent it to me yet.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Well, Cerny did mention how Spiderman could travel with a speed of a jet if devs coded for an SSD. Just imagine what that means for games. Incredibly fast travel without actual fast travel.

You can make a Superman game and not worry about him flying too fast. 8GB/s means you can fill up the VRAM in a second. if they go with 16GB GDDR6 RAM, you have 16GB of data in two seconds.

Insane Christopher Nolan style switching between multiple scenarios all playing out at once. Think Titanfall 2's time travel section but on a bigger scale.

I think hardware RT might be tough to do, but both MS and Sony will try to outdo each other and that means they will be willing to take a loss to get that in there. it might come at the expense of tflops but i am pretty sure they will both have it. I highly doubt they will use it for global illumnation though. Thats just way too expensive. I think Spiderman buildings will have ray traced reflections. God of War doesnt need realistic light bounce either, its a fantasy setting. Death Stranding 2 or Ghost of Tshushima i can see using GI, but after seeing the Unity and Unreal Engine 4 GDC demos, i dont think RT will add that much to the image.

Holy shit that hyped me up even more on SSD's

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
The rumor is they want to create a better system than Sony for the same price. Again, MS and Sony talk to the same people about what they want in future hardware. Are you trying to say that Phil and company are caught off guard?
I think it is worth nothing that AMD would be under strict NDA not to mix the pots. They can't tell Microsoft what Sony is doing and can't tell Sony what Microsoft is doing without serious legal consequences.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So bdsams, do you think that you will be able to get some confidence in sharing something on next gen Xbox specs sooner than the 2 week window that was predicted in this thread from Twitter? :)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

... and I'm sure I'll still get texture pop-in in The Division 2 :P
lol

I can only imagine the change to level designs and gameplay we can expect with just this one change to an uber fast SSD alone :)

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone got time for a little summary of the past two days? All I see is that the thread is moving at warp speeds.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is great. In a year we went from absolutely no way HBM or ssd would make it to next gen, and flipped to HBM and ssd are a lock for both consoles.

Most exciting times right now gents. Wait till legit gpu info actually starts coming. Love this stage of the discussions!

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

You know what.....I didnt think of this. Maybe Lockhart is a streaming device with some local play capabilities but still able to stream at high quality (Anaconda). Interesting.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

D4eh6q0U4AAOHi-.png

D4eh_htUIAAWcK8.png

If i remember well what our Japanese AMD guy K.Ensaka said some time ago: Ariel is probably GPU part (Navi 10 Lite) of AMD Gonzalo APU ( allegedly PS5).

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is great. In a year we went from absolutely no way HBM or ssd would make it to next gen, and flipped to HBM and ssd are a lock for both consoles.

Most exciting times right now gents. Wait till legit gpu info actually starts coming. Love this stage of the discussions!

Lock, as in confirmed?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I'm still firmly in the :doubt: camp regarding HBM. It's too expensive and that rumour about PS5 having 8GB HBM2 with DDR4 makes no sense to me lol.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats just the latest rumor. Phil said he wanted the most powerful console way back at E3 2018. He was going to have a monster of a console at $499 which would undoubtdely be more powerful than the $399 PS5. In feburary 2019, Brad all of a sudden got new info that no, MS was now just trying to match Sony. things changed.

And i dont think what talking to devs have to do with final specs. Of course devs want all the power in the world. Last gen, all the big demos, like the UE4 Elemental Demo, the Agni Philosophy Square Enix Demo, the Infiltrator UE4 demo were all running on a GTX 680. Thats a 2.5 tflops GPU. Doesnt mean MS and Sony gave them a GPU that powerful just because they asked for it. Devs also didnt give a shit about kinect and yet MS didnt care and gave devkits with 1.2Tlops of power with 10% dedicated to Kinect. It didnt get reversed until after the shitstorm.

I can promise you SSDs are only in because Sony decided to go over the $399 mark. You arent getting SSDs in a $399 console no matter what devs said. Again, MS was only caught offguard by Sony's decision to go with a premium console. MS was always going to have a premium console with an SSD, ray tracing and whatnot. I bet the reason why Sony cancelled E3 was because they decided against a $399 console and Holiday 2019 or Spring 2020 release. Wouldnt be surprised if they saw Phil make that power claim and said to themselves they cant have a Pro vs X to start the gen and would rather delay and fight on equal terms.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
thats just the latest rumor. Phil said he wanted the most powerful console way back at E3 2018. He was going to have a monster of a console at $499 which would undoubtdely be more powerful than the $399 PS5. In feburary 2019, Brad all of a sudden got new info that no, MS was now just trying to match Sony. things changed.

And i dont think what talking to devs have to do with final specs. Of course devs want all the power in the world. Last gen, all the big demos, like the UE4 Elemental Demo, the Agni Philosophy Square Enix Demo, the Infiltrator UE4 demo were all running on a GTX 680. Thats a 2.5 tflops GPU. Doesnt mean MS and Sony gave them a GPU that powerful just because they asked for it. Devs also didnt give a shit about kinect and yet MS didnt care and gave devkits with 1.2Tlops of power with 10% dedicated to Kinect. It didnt get reversed until after the shitstorm.

I can promise you SSDs are only in because Sony decided to go over the $399 mark. You arent getting SSDs in a $399 console no matter what devs said. Again, MS was only caught offguard by Sony's decision to go with a premium console. MS was always going to have a premium console with an SSD, ray tracing and whatnot. I bet the reason why Sony cancelled E3 was because they decided against a $399 console and Holiday 2019 or Spring 2020 release. Wouldnt be surprised if they saw Phil make that power claim and said to themselves they cant have a Pro vs X to start the gen and would rather delay and fight on equal terms.
I don't remember Phil ever saying that. He said they will set the benchmark for console gaming but that doesn't mean anything. Brad has said MS is going to try and aim to have the best system on the market. They don't know what Sonys plan is or the specs. Only that they are aiming towards that goal. I think you are misreading rumors and what is public record.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

seamless transition
5eue.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I m getting a feeling that MS is going first and next anaconda is Vega 65 based around 12 TF and MS will call it "customized next gen amd gpu" instead of Vega . We all know Navi is q2 2020 for apu.so if they go first it can not be Navi

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
And here it is (Navi is definitely still GCN):

Google translate:
"In some rumors, it was a story that would not be GCN from the Navi generation, but as I had been tweeting since before, it still looks like GCN. Because it is SOC15 generation, it is not the architecture that is relatively close to Vega generation."

cc: anexanhume Colbert

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Bro that's whole lotta assumptions haha.we simply don't know to be this detailed about the events lol

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Google translate:
"In some rumors, it was a story that would not be GCN from the Navi generation, but as I had been tweeting since before, it still looks like GCN. Because it is SOC15 generation, it is not the architecture that is relatively close to Vega generation."

Told ya :p

That it isn't close to Vega should also be no surprise because Navi is meant to be an evolutional step from Polaris, not Vega.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
No, just no.
24GB GDDR6 is 12*2Gb chips on a 384bit GDDR6 memory interface.
8GB HBM2 + 16GB of low cost DDR4 is 1 HBM2 stack + 8*2Gb DDR4 chips on a 256bit DDR4 memory interface.

The second options still requires you to put dram chips on the motherboard. The second options still requires you to use a lot of die space for the memory interface and controller. All while you also have a more expensive and complicated package to produce because of HBM.
It's the worst of both world you combined.

If you do some research you will find that routing a 384-bit GDDR6 bus on a PCB is not the same cost & complexity as a 256-bit DDR4 bus. The mixed HBM/DDR4 is still a superior price/performance solution (but not best absolute performance).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Lol. Yeah the super fast loading will unlock new ways to play, new ingenius level design. Even just being used for something simple like a hard cut from one scene to something entirely different in real time without needing any kind of CGI cutscene to hide the transition. Right now it's looking good for convenience but I bet many developers can unlock new exciting things from it that right now we maybe can't quite grasp yet.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And what does that tell you? :)
What does it mean? Anyone care to explain?
The "Told ya" referenced the fact that Navi was never intended to be the architecture that leaves behind GCN.This is reserved for their so called "NEXT-GEN" GPU family.

The second part of my comment points to a high possibility that most of the ballast that came with Vega will not be present anymore with Navi. A more simple straight forward gaming oriented GPU. This could mean no RPM, no HBCC in the worst case. I personally would say RPM makes the cut, HBCC doesn't. But thats my personal opinion, not based on anything other than my gut.

Last edited:

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Google translate:

cc: anexanhume Colbert

Looks like GCN doesn't confirm anything

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone think MS might use vega and launch 8 months faster than sony ?

Possibly - Benji an dothers have suggested Xbox sales will drop faster than PS4 so MS could probably benefit more from an early launch.

However it seems likemsonymalso has dev kits ramping up availability now, and there already talking about ps5. If they had planned for 2019 but held off, they may be able to launch spring 2020 too

Status
Not open for further replies.