• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2019
I don't think people appreciate the QOL gains we all stand to make if SSDs become the lowest common denominator. We spend so much of our lives on loading screens. It actually increases my distraction because I'm more likely to pick up my phone.

Yeah of course QOL changes like faster loading, installing or even downloading and a very snappy UI are great but imagine games not having sequences when Lara slowly climbs over a narrow ceilings so that the next area can load into memory. No more of Kratos squeezing himself through a tight spot, or Joel holding up a garage door so that Ellie can go behind.

All of these scenes are masked loading screens and they slow the pacing of the game down. I don't think people realize how much freedoms devs would receive if they could make draw calls to SSD instead of a lowly 5200rpm HDD.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I personally have no knowledge of anything related to VR from my end of things.

If I had to make an educated guess I would assume that their next-console would consider something VR in mind if they're planning on competing with PSVR and PC VR. The only real thing they have that's related to something like that is obviously Hololens, but I have no clue if there are any plans to take that further down the road.

Not knowing, but from what they do it doesn't seem so. As long VR is in the current market stage I don't think MS/Xbox sees it as a priority for Xbox consoles. Though all consoles will be powerful enough to add those things to later date. I think MS as a company is aiming for an completely untethered experience. But regarding VR there are not there yet.

Thanks for the answers.

MS would still be the only one with zero VR capability on consoles then, as even Nintendo is tipping their toes in it with Labo. Yeah they could always launch it later, but Sony will be quite far ahead by then with their VR expertise and goodwill.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers.

MS would still be the only one with zero VR capability on consoles then, as even Nintendo is tipping their toes in it with Labo. Yeah they could always launch it later, but Sony will be quite far ahead by then with their VR expertise and goodwill.

Microsoft has Windows Mixed Reality devices. It's not like MS isn't working on VR, it's just not in the console space yet.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I don't know why people are giving shit to Leocarian and him having come forth to explain stuff (and the validity of his tag) thoroughly was uncalled for.

Just Wait it out for E3 If you are impatient for next gen talk or leaks or stay out of the conversation. No need to disrupt the nice discussion flow we had here with hostility.

I feel for folks in this site that work in the gaming industry. Insiders receive so much hostility from Era.
Blame it on the lack of leaks...... if we had leaks a lot of this wouldn't be happening.

Jun 18, 2018
Reason for vagueness is because I have to make sure I protect the people I talk to and vice versa. Otherwise we would lose access to some information and so on, this is a no brainer.

If you want to protect people, then why are you posting anything they've told at all? Also, have you posted with their permission?

Pre-announce hype is fun, and I do a lot of speculation myself, but I hope you're not thinking you're playing Robin Hood, but with none of the risk. Even accidental leaks can derail peoples' careers.

Jan 21, 2019
Plenty of games on the last gen used asset streaming, as they did on the gens before that. Coincidentally, Naughty Dog were one of the early pioneers of texture streaming with the Crash Bandicoot series on the PS1.

As for "slow Blu-ray", data from disks are copied to the HD and steamed from there. Some games benefit from a faster HD, but many are held back by the slow CPUs, which need to initialise data once it's loaded.

And as for third party Devs - SSD's don't require specific coding to use, although optimising content for loading is still possible and beneficial. So they would be used by default, and Devs already dedicate resources to Pro and XBX improvements so further optimisation of content for loading is plausible.
I always wondered if it went from the disc to ram or first to the HDD. Thank you for the clarification.

As the CPU won't be a bottleneck next gen, I really hope that the entire system is not bogged down by an HDD. The more ubiquitous SSDs the more optimised engines will become. So I hope both Sony and MS will build their systems around SSDs.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
If you want to protect people, then why are you posting anything they've told at all? Also, have you posted with their permission?

Pre-announce hype is fun, and I do a lot of speculation myself, but I hope you're not thinking you're playing Robin Hood, but with none of the risk. Even accidental leaks can derail peoples' careers.

Are we making this thread about me or are we talking about next-gen leaks? Pick one.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-03-uk-video-game-sales-now-80-percent-digital

In-depth of why a lot of people buy physical over digital and vice versa with 75% of their data suggestion.

Pushsquare on digital showing growth still

I'm not saying anything your saying isn't true, just that from what is out there evidence wise for digital platforms, people seem to go where their money investment is.

If it's in PC they will be using steam as their primary. The reason being features and prices for games that can be bought at third party sites like GreenMANGAMING.

Though Physical is still king when it comes to consoles, a lot of growth is showing for digital. ANd has that becomes bigger more people will start having digital libraries, and if those that do have those investments can continue playing those games then they will stick with that ecosystem. But it also can go your way as well, with people being indifferent and not returning to said games.
There's also the elephant in the room for those reluctant to buy into digital that their games might get shut off if they are primarily online, or require some sort of online connection for campaign play.

As digital grows so does the changes in the consumer in how they can consume their entertainment. And just like with any service, benefits to the user for being able to keep playing all their purchases is a huge benefit that will keep them with that ecosystem.
Not saying it's 100%, but saying that it is there, and it is growing. If it wasn't then XBOX would not have made such a giant effort this gen to capitalize on BC.

Player engagement is a big push for MS and BC helps with that.
1. Digital is going to grow over time. It is expected. That has always been my standpoint, even on this thread, I have pointed out that it is simply following what has happened in other forms of media. None of what is posted in those articles states any different.

2. The people buying digital are the minority. If I wanted to play Hellblade prior to Ninja Theory's purchase, it was a digital download, and there are a lot of games that are simply digital only.

3. I have a lot of friends that are on one platform and will stay on one platform because it allows them to buy separate games and share. They will stay on the Playstation platform as they have done since the PS one.

4. I know of guys that buy digital. They do that not because of discounts, but because they can play it the moment the timer stops. No going to the store and waiting for a game to install some chunk before they play. It has nothing to do with pre orders either. They will simply one Friday morning pay and load a title and know that by the time they are up on a Saturday the game is ready to play.

5. Player engagement is about how much a player is on a single game if you are a publisher, and for Microsoft it is how many are using that through game pass. That in itself would be a win,but they are also tracking how much these people are buying games or spending on in game items like DLC or MTX. People are not going to be engaged if you do not have quality content, and engagement is also not solely tied to digital bought titles. This is why Anthem and Fallout were heavily discounted so soon i.e. we are not selling well, let us dump the price and maybe as the game matures we will make money off more gamers off the microtransaction store.

6. BC does not count for much. That Microsoft is doing it when everyone else is not, and that it has not brought back sales should show just how little gamers think of it. It is fan service, and sometimes you need to do that. What they are doing that is likely to have a huge disruption in the industry is Game Pass, and how they will integrate that with XCloud to target multiple devices. Sony is already doing the same by spreading PS Now to PC as they target additional revenues.

The industry will not turn on digital downloads and their support from platform holders. Not when we have a culture of consumption where there is a need to have something new and something fresh. Games like Fortnite are an exception and not a norm, and even within the game itself, the PS4 was the exception in tying the Epic account to one device.

Games like CoD, Battlefield, FIFA, NBA2k, Madden, Assassins Creed i.e. the huge franchises that dominate sales are yearly iterations where people have to start all over. They have infinitesimal value when it comes to BC. You adventure titles with minimal replay value similarly the same. I had a huge collection of games last gen, none of the discs is with me. I have games going all the way back to the original playstation that are collecting dust. PC games from over a decade ago still on disc that I would never put on a disc drive today, and that is something that applies to every gamer I know.

I did edit the previous post just as you put this one out. A console will do well because multiple good decisions were made, and there is always some luck with someone making bets that eventually look abysmal. This generation, that was Microsoft pushing Kinect and moreso their DRM policies that they backtracked from, that was followed by Sony sticking to the basics and getting lucky with RAM densities improving. This is something that happens every generation.

Who knows, maybe next generation is defined by subscriptions to other devices or the bet Microsoft is taking on a two SKU approach appeals to those who want to save money. In any case, a new generation will be a refresh unless you have a solution for streaming similar to what Google has with Stadia that could tie some of the older consoles to subs. What I am sure of is that BC will not be a game changer.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting description there:

"Take the first, small step into a virtual Halo world with Halo Recruit. This free training experience will introduce you to the characters, weapons, and universe of Halo through the power of Windows Mixed Reality. As a freshly minted UNSC recruit, you will learn to identify and fight terrifying alien combatants in this compelling exploration of what Halo's virtual future might hold."

;)

Jun 18, 2018
Are we making this thread about me or are we talking about next-gen leaks? Pick one.

Last time I checked, this thread contained many topics related to informartion on the next gen, and so the morality of leaking 2nd hand information is a fair point to raise. But since you were so nice I will raise that in a new topic, which gets to explore the topic from multiple perspectives.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting description there:

"Take the first, small step into a virtual Halo world with Halo Recruit. This free training experience will introduce you to the characters, weapons, and universe of Halo through the power of Windows Mixed Reality. As a freshly minted UNSC recruit, you will learn to identify and fight terrifying alien combatants in this compelling exploration of what Halo's virtual future might hold."

;)

I'm still thinking they will have something crazy for either Hololens 2 or WMR at the Halo Outpost Discovery events.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Right - so you see how textures are loaded into RAM for fast caching.

Wait, are you trying to tell me textures aren't loaded into RAM?

RAM is used for multiple functions.

I said game data is loaded in and out of RAM. Textures are game data. But so is lighting data, animation data, AI, meshes etc etc.

RAM is used as the working memory space for all of the that by the processors.

I think I understand. I was thinking that the larger SSD might be better because it would hold an entire game for ages and you could start it up right off the bat once it was installed with no caching time needed, but I suppose it wouldn't matter a huge amount.

Nah, shouldn't make a difference. Game data still needs to be loaded into RAM in both cases, and with a physical flash cache + HDD setup managed by the HBCC the data will be pre-fetched from HDD to the cache well ahead of time in parallel to any flash cache to RAM transfers.

I agree that what you have here is a possible and reasonable outcome and expectation, but I think modern hardware design principles can mitigate issues, and that it's possible to create 1080p and 4k "next gen" systems that don't hamstring developers.

I must disagree. Hardware design can't mitigate the issue I addressed in my previous post with a 2-SKU approach.

The traditional approach to console design is putting a box together and throwing it out to the devs. The devs then build their game to utilize the capability of the platform. In such a case, a platform with a significant weakness would be an issue devs would have to work around, as you suggest.

That's not an issue of a "traditional approach" versus some nebulous new paradigm. The fixed target hardware spec. is the only approach that makes sense for consoles.

Even if MS wanted to steer consoles towards a more PC-like model of devs build a game and dictate a minimum hardware spec. they can't do that for console multi-platform development across non-MS platforms that still retain thin console software/graphics APIs.

Digital Foundry got a hold of a whitepaper MS issued to devs during Scorpios development (this was Jan 2017, before they collaborated with MS on the spec reveal in April of that year):

In this instance, it's the same exact game, same settings, scaled from 1080p to 4k. As of now, we know Scarlett is two platforms. I think developing each console with those resolution targets will best allow them to hit their price targets, and minimize impact to devs. I've never made a game, but I would think it's easier for them to change the resolution, than to tweak a bunch of other stuff.

You're missing my main point. By designing all the "other stuff" that isn't dependent on rendering resolution on the weaker lower spec. machine you are by definition limiting the scope of the game to the lower spec. machine.

If the lower spec. SKU didn't exist, every game would be designed with the top end SKU as a performance baseline and thus the higher baseline would open up more possibilities to employ technologies that would be impossible on the lower spec. machine, e.g. how SVOGI was beyond the capability of current-gen machines regardless of rendering resolution.

We're moving beyond this design approach,

No, my friend, we're not.

MS might want to. But MS will have to dance to the tune of the wider industry, not the other way around; especially when their current console comprises quite a bit less than a third of the installed base of consoles for the core AAA audience.

rather than designing a game for a given minimum hardware target, design the minimum hardware target based on the expectations of a next gen game.

This makes very little sense. Games are as varied and diverse as their hardward useage requirements are. Some game tax the hardware royally, while other barely touch certain aspects of the console hardware. The only constant IS the console hardware. So it makes no sense to treat that constant as anything but that.

What you describe is simply what the PC platform is. Nobody wants consoles to become PC. All that means is more abstraction and thus you're leaving performance on the table on a platform where every processor cycle and byte of memory counts.

The biggest question my expectation opens up is: what's a next gen game? This is where some educated guesswork, extrapolation, and dev feedback are needed.

It's a huge question, and one with no answer. How can devs give feedback on a hardware spec. for games they haven't even developed yet?

I don't think you properly thought this through.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Since the subject's being discussed, can anyone provide a quick suggestion or two for a 500 gig or 1 TB SSD for use in a PS4? A friend's thinking about it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I said game data is loaded in and out of RAM. Textures are game data. But so is lighting data, animation data, AI, meshes etc etc.

RAM is used as the working memory space for all of the that by the processors.

Nah, shouldn't make a difference. Game data still needs to be loaded into RAM in both cases, and with a physical flash cache + HDD setup managed by the HBCC the data will be pre-fetched from HDD to the cache well ahead of time in parallel to any flash cache to RAM transfers.

I must disagree. Hardware design can't mitigate the issue I addressed in my previous post with a 2-SKU approach.

That's not an issue of a "traditional approach" versus some nebulous new paradigm. The fixed target hardware spec. is the only approach that makes sense for consoles.

Even if MS wanted to steer consoles towards a more PC-like model of devs build a game and dictate a minimum hardware spec. they can't do that for console multi-platform development across non-MS platforms that still retain thin console software/graphics APIs.

You're missing my main point. By designing all the "other stuff" that isn't dependent on rendering resolution on the weaker lower spec. machine you are by definition limiting the scope of the game to the lower spec. machine.

If the lower spec. SKU didn't exist, every game would be designed with the top end SKU as a performance baseline and thus the higher baseline would open up more possibilities to employ technologies that would be impossible on the lower spec. machine, e.g. how SVOGI was beyond the capability of current-gen machines regardless of rendering resolution.

MS might want to. But MS will have to dance to the tune of the wider industry, not the other way around; especially when their current console comprises quite a bit less than a third of the installed base of consoles for the core AAA audience.

This makes very little sense. Games are as varied and diverse as their hardward useage requirements are. Some game tax the hardware royally, while other barely touch certain aspects of the console hardware. The only constant IS the console hardware. So it makes no sense to treat that constant as anything but that.

What you describe is simply what the PC platform is. Nobody wants consoles to become PC. All that means is more abstraction and thus you're leaving performance on the table on a platform where every processor cycle and byte of memory counts.

It's a huge question, and one with no answer. How can devs give feedback on a hardware spec. for games they haven't even developed yet?

Someone in this very forum said one thing that I never forget to this day. He said something along the lines of 'if it cannot run on the lower end Xbox SKU (Lockhart), it will not be able to run minimum spec PC's' or something along those lines.

Consoles will rarely ever be the low end spectrum when it comes to gaming and I guess that is the main reason as to why first party developers are almost always at the forefront of pushing tech. A lot of what third party developers are doing is also geared towards PC gamers, an unlike this generation there is actually going to be a CPU worth mentioning, more RAM on consoles than you get on most PC's (better type too) and if you are looking at anything in the 8-10TF range, a GPU far better than what most people are running on PC today.

Economics will dictate what the minimum specs for games to run on the PC as publishers look to canvas as much of the PC market as they see fit. At the start of this generation Steam did a survey and it turned out that most of the people who volunteered had worse tech than consoles when the GPU was taken into consideration. I can only postulate that that number would be even higher even if we were to get a console more powerful than Xbox One X as being the baseline.

Xostas

Oct 25, 2017
This is total conjecture on my part but I've given it some thought and I believe both MS and Sony will offer consoles at $399. With that said, I do believe both consoles will be similar and would easily still be sold at a loss if they were priced at $499.

My line of thought is that it's imperative for both Sony and MS to quickly gain a user base but momentum is more important and a price of $499 won't do that. I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony are reasonably pleased with the sales from the One X and PS4 Pro, but I'm confident that they have seen their internal numbers and know that $499 is not viable in establishing a userbase that will buy enough nextgen software (digital or otherwise). I don't doubt we'll see 3rd parties hedging themselves with cross generation software, but at some point they will need to have a next gen platform that will have a large enough base to leave behind the previous generation.

In addition to establishing a userbase, Microsoft will be focused on MAU/Xcloud and Sony and their revenue generated from PSN/PSnow. They will want to price and position their consoles to gain and maintain the most users they can. In light of Google's foray into gaming and other emerging competitors, the market will become similar to what we are seeing with the Movie and TV space where Netflix has more more competition these days from CBS, Hulu, Disney, DC/WarnerBrother, etc. Because each platform needs to distinguish itself, I feel this is the top reason MS has bought so many developers recently. Whether it's PC or Console, Microsoft is pursuing original content for itself to keep its game catalog fresh and appealing.

We've also seen that during this current generation, Sony and Microsoft have not matched the depth of price cuts from previous generations. I think this will also help in justifying a lower $399 price point as the BOM drops.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The reason the last of us 1 looked insane on the PS3 was because of asset streaming. At that point they were streaming from a slow Blu Ray disc. Now, naughty dog is streaming assets from a slow HDD. Imagine the jump if they know that every single ps5 has an SSD inside.

I really really hope that all next gen systems have ssds because the second one of them doesn't, all third party devs won't build their engine around SSD speeds.

Edit: one of the forum members here pointed out that the slow HDD was a bottleneck of the recent Spiderman game and I also read that Bluepoint solved a lot of problems in the development of Shadow of the Colossus, when they introduced asset streaming to their engine.

I repeat it over and over again. SSD are not just for loading times, they will allow for better games!
But you have a problem right there as people on PS3 and PS4 had the option to change the hard drive and if they don't change that, people might change the internal ssd to an hdd again. They cannot rely on the access times of ssds then. Also they have limited the bandwidth games can have from the sata bus, same as Xbox One, probably for the stuff the operating system does in the background for the HDD. I guess we'll see something similar for next gen consoles, too.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Hololens is a business focused device now. It's meant for and targeted to businesses, not consumers.

And Outpost Discovery is a special event, just like the Hololens thing they did for Halo 5 a few years ago at E3. Hololens at that point was still very much focused at developers and enterprise.

It's not like it would be available for everyone, just those who attend that event as a unique use case for a MS owned IP getting a special treatment with the tech.

Xostas

Oct 25, 2017
But you have a problem right there as people on PS3 and PS4 had the option to change the hard drive and if they don't change that, people might change the internal ssd to an hdd again. They cannot rely on the access times of ssds then. Also they have limited the bandwidth games can have from the sata bus, same as Xbox One, probably for the stuff the operating system does in the background for the HDD. I guess we'll see something similar for next gen consoles, too.

This is easily remedied by either making the internal drive permanent(not my favorite solution) or force a check that see if the drive meets a minimal criteria (ie minimum SSD Size and speed). If it doesn't meet the minimums then the OS gives a rejection message. I'm sure MS and Sony will be partnering up with manufactures again to offer officially licensed SSD solutions.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And Outpost Discovery is a special event, just like the Hololens thing they did for Halo 5 a few years ago at E3. Hololens at that point was still very much focused at developers and enterprise.

It's not like it would be available for everyone, just those who attend that event as a unique use case for a MS owned IP getting a special treatment with the tech.

Yeah, I agree. My point is that Hololens isn't going to be a product that is pushed to play games or used to market the Xbox brand.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Why not make PS5 a full 20 teraflops ?

giphy.gif

8S7c0Ko.jpg

Jan 21, 2019

Who in their right mind would exchange an SSD for a HDD. Also, who says that it won't be a chip on the PCB instead of a full SSD drive.

Also when I tried to expand the internal storage of my phone, it gave me a warning that my SD card was too slow to be used as internal storage. It would be very easy for Sony to reject a newly added drive if it was below the minimum specs.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is easily remedied by either making the internal drive permanent(not my favorite solution) or force a check that see if the drive meets a minimal criteria (ie minimum SSD Size and speed). If it doesn't meet the minimums then the OS gives a rejection message. I'm sure MS and Sony will be partnering up with manufactures again to offer officially licensed SSD solutions.
Of course, that's obvious. I'm just saying that has to be kept in mind and that they also still might have a toll on the bandwidth.
Sony is already checking HDD speed with external drives - if they are not usb3, you can't use them and IIRC Microsoft also did that with flash drives on 360.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight.... PS5 and Snek are going to be 500 bucks, and have SSDs? Is that were we are?

Nov 12, 2017
So if you have hundreds of hours in a game like let's Say GTA V that continually has tons of people playing it, and buying it digitally you will throw all those hours away to go to a new platform?

Please.

I have hundreds of hours on many PC titles that have a good following on console. I in no way am going to put that time into them again on a new platform. I will continue on the one I've heavily invested in.

I'm heavily invested in PSN, and have a couple big games digitally. I won't rebuy them on a new platform. If my library carries over to PS5 then I'm there at the beginning.
I think that's everyone's stance that's been discussing this with you, but you fail to see how many people play. Like if your a regular who plays Siege a couple times a week, your not going to start over on another platform where you have to unlock every operator from scratch.

You either will keep playing on that console, stop playing, or carry your progress over to the new console if it's permitted.
All signs point to games being BC for next gen, and with that would mean syncing your progress as well.
Again and again people go where the value is no matter how much people repeat this thing
If a product (in this case console) they stay give the reason to stay showing value (price, power, games, services) if not they will move...spreading the words ....this is how mainly work.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who in their right mind would exchange an SSD for a HDD. Also, who says that it won't be a chip on the PCB instead of a full SSD drive.

Also when I tried to expand the internal storage of my phone, it gave me a warning that my SD card was too slow to be used as internal storage. It would be very easy for Sony to reject a newly added drive if it was below the minimum specs.
Again, this was just a reminder.
People could want to have more storage than an SSD provides, for example. And nobody said anything, don't be so sensitive about it.
Regarding drive speed, as I already explained, they are already doing it with external storage.

Jan 21, 2019
Again, this was just a reminder.
People could want to have more storage than an SSD provides, for example. And nobody said anything, don't be so sensitive about it.
Regarding drive speed, as I already explained, they are already doing it with external storage.
Hey, didn't mean to offend or anything, just having fun with speculations. You are right, I just hope that whatever power will be inside those boxes. It won't be bottlenecked by slow read speeds.

It's not the same thing of course, but I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD. It is about 5 years old and with the old HDD inside, it felt like the thing was dying, it froze all the time, didn't respond, got really really hot and had insane delays on everything. Just opening the file explorer could take up to 10 seconds. Just putting a 250 gig SSD inside solved all problems and the thing runs better than the first time I turned it on.

SSD are clearly superior and I want to see what a game can do when asset streaming works with SSD speeds.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

There's nothing nebulous about what I described. This process has resulted in a real console that exists today - the Xbox One X. Console hardware will remain fixed, I'm not saying otherwise. Both Sony and Microsoft currently have two (fixed) hardware specs, and it seems to make sense just fine for them, and recent rumors suggest Nintendo may join them.

I'm not going to argue that a lower spec'd machine will have lower capability, that's obvious. And I don't really know if launching with two SKUs right off the bat is better or worse than just one - I do think it's the necessary move for MS. My argument is that if both skus are designed in tandem with specific goals in mind for capability with the one variable being their target being resolution, it's possible for them to spec the machines to have a high probability of hitting those targets.

I'm arguing that MS will use data generated from game profiling to simulate next gen games and next gen hardware. Then they'll build their Scarlett platforms based on that data. They've already done this, I fully expect them to do it again.

No, it's nothing like the PC Platform. I am talking about the process Xbox engineers will use to select and customize the hardware for their next generation consoles. The console hardware is only constant once a spec is locked down, during the design phase all aspects of components are likely to be adjusted to create the optimum machine.

From Digital Foundry:
Traditionally, games creators have to work to the characteristics of the console platform, but because Scorpio's design brief was to scale up existing titles to 4K, the hardware team could profile actual, shipping games and customise the design to fit common characteristics. PIX provided the data that was then fed into a hardware emulator, where the Microsoft team could then see how those titles would run on prospective Scorpio hardware. Multiple configurations could be tested in order to get the best balance.

"What we did was to take PIX captures from all of our top developers... By hand we went through them and then extrapolated what the work involved would be for that game to support a 4K render resolution," says Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow, Graphics. "Now we had a model for all of our top-selling Xbox One games where we could tweak the configuration for the number of CUs, the clock, the memory bandwidth, the number of render back-ends, the number of shader engines, the cache size. We could tweak our design and figure out what was the most optimal configuration. It was incredibly valuable for us to be able to make those trade-offs, because ultimately these Xbox One titles are the ones that we... wanted to get up to 4K."

I'm saying is this same approach can and will be used for their next gen platforms. The target is more nebulous, but they can still get meaningful data and insight from developers to create that target. Games are different as you said, and each one may have unique bottlenecks in hardware, this approach actually looks at the bottlenecks then hardware can be optimized to mitigate them. It's a more efficient way to design because it's based on data gathered and analyzed before hardware is fabricated. The final spec would be determined by the configuration most capable of meeting the design targets for a given BOM. There's always going to be compromise, that's an inherent part of consoles in general, the goal would be to minimize their impact. I suggest looking up how engineers in various disciplines utilize DOEs (design of experiments) in their design process.

Again, this process works. The Xbox One X exists. I'd be interested to hear you explain what you think is the best process for a console maker in choosing the specs and customizations they want for their new console.

In the past Sony and Microsoft have sought feedback from devs on future console hardware, and they will continue to do so. Nothing is different in this regard. During the development of the PS4, Mark Cerny flew to devs around the world to get feedback on next gen before the hardware was finalized.

I did.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, didn't mean to offend or anything, just having fun with speculations. You are right, I just hope that whatever power will be inside those boxes. It won't be bottlenecked by slow read speeds.

It's not the same thing of course, but I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD. It is about 5 years old and with the old HDD inside, it felt like the thing was dying, it froze all the time, didn't respond, got really really hot and had insane delays on everything. Just opening the file explorer could take up to 10 seconds. Just putting a 250 gig SSD inside solved all problems and the thing runs better than the first time I turned it on.

SSD are clearly superior and I want to see what a game can do when asset streaming works with SSD speeds.
Oh, they definitely are, it's ridiculous how io limited computers always were and only a few knew about it. The advantage in access times is immediately felt and things will only get better with Optane memory.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If they use a replaceable M.2 drive there will be no way for a user to replace it with a mechanical hard drive.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
No. Never.

1TB SSD is twice expensive than 2TB HDD right now on the market.
That's not how OEM pricing works. Cheapest market prices you can get now for 2B HDD and 1TB SSD is ~$60 and $100 respectively. OEM bulk pricing brings that doesn to about a third when possible, emphasis here is on when possible because there is only so much the price of a HDD can go down (that's why there i only like a $4 difference between 500GB HDDs and 1TB HDD). In 2020, assuming the OEM price for a $2TB HDD is around $30, it will probably be costing them around that or less t put n a 1TB SSD.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's not how OEM pricing works. Cheapest market prices you can get now for 2B HDD and 1TB SSD is ~$60 and $100 respectively. OEM bulk pricing brings that doesn to about a third when possible, emphasis here is on when possible because there is only so much the price of a HDD can go down (that's why there i only like a $4 difference between 500GB HDDs and 1TB HDD). In 2020, assuming the OEM price for a $2TB HDD is around $30, it will probably be costing them around that or less t put n a 1TB SSD.

And then that gap will likely get even smaller over the generation, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.