• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
What is the better 2 player coop experience between it and Tropical Freeze?

I would say this, because it's much less of a challenge--though still rather difficult of a game at parts. Tropical Freeze can get mighty challenging even a world or two in. Both are great games, but I guess it depends on the skill levels of those playing cooperatively.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I personally enjoy NSMBU but there's some rather baffling design decisions in this port. I don't understand why Toadette and Nabbit are mandatory multiplayer characters if you're playing with four people and why you can't toggle their handicaps off. Why can't all players play by the same rules?

Oh, this sucks to hear. Is it only four player mode? What about three players? I'm super excited for this (loved it on Wii U) and was looking forward to adding this to my collection as a great/fun multiplayer game, but this potentially changes that...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'd buy at $40.

Really bummed they continually put every port out at $60.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did they replace the soundtrack with something that isn't terrible?

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
I personally enjoy NSMBU but there's some rather baffling design decisions in this port. I don't understand why Toadette and Nabbit are mandatory multiplayer characters if you're playing with four people and why you can't toggle their handicaps off. Why can't all players play by the same rules?

This is really how it works? That seems like a super weird decision and will probably stop me from buying the game. :/

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

Nabbit was always mandatory in NSLU if you played with four players.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy it am willing to buy almost anything mario right now

Even though I once owned it on WiiU

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We will 100% not get Mario Kart 9 until the Switch's successor. but I do think we'll get another 2D Mario in a couple of years. I feel like the Switch's trajectory makes it the perfect platform to unleash something like Super Mario Bros. 4 or Super Mario World 3.

Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Pokemon Let's Go should be $40. This should be $30 tbh.

Almost all of the Wii U ports in my opinion should be 29.99-39.99 respectively. Especially games that are straight up ports without any newly added content like Bayonetta 2. It comes with a download for the first one just like the original Wii U release. But that was 4 years ago.

DAT Nintendo tax.

Just feels they are trying to milk games that didn't sell super well.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Almost all of the Wii U ports in my opinion should be 29.99-39.99 respectively. Especially games that are straight up ports without any newly added content like Bayonetta 2. It comes with a download for the first one just like the original Wii U release. But that was 4 years ago.

DAT Nintendo tax.

Just feels they are trying to milk games that didn't sell super well.
Almost everything they've ported from Wii U sold really well, relative to the platform. NSMBU was over 5 million units, I think?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Almost everything they've ported from Wii U sold really well, relative to the platform. NSMBU was over 5 million units, I think?

Bayonetta 2 sold like dogshit, Hyrule warrirors sold like 2 million or something like that. Yea NSMBU was a port from Wii, so it sold well. But some of these ports did not, and still to charge $60 for them is kind of shitty.

Apr 21, 2018

Holy shit is this true? What a god awful design decision. Atleast in the original player 3 and 4 were just toads.

Still, I highly recommend this for anyone who missed it on WiiU. Where DK:TF doesn't really work with two players, NSMBU shines with two player co-op (3/4 gets a bit hectic)

NSLU is the better game. It's much harder, like the lost levels of NSMB. Anyone who missed it but feels bored of the sterile NSMB style, give NSLU a try.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Bayonetta 2 sold like dogshit, Hyrule warrirors sold like 2 million or something like that. Yea NSMBU was a port from Wii, so it sold well. But some of these ports did not, and still to charge $60 for them is kind of shitty.
NSMBU was an original game, not a Wii port. Hyrule Warriors is on record as selling well, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Bayonetta is the only real outlier there, even Pokken was a million seller.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Truthfully, there are better platformers on the Switch. Whether it's Donkey Kong or Celeste, there's definitely better, more refined experiences out there. That said, I do think NSMBU is a good game for casuals; it's not particularly hard and the level design is more welcoming that the other two games I mentioned.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
why should it be $40? i understand why you would like it to be but i see no reason why it should. people also thought MK8 should be $40 but that would've lost them millions of dollars.

again i understand why people want the game to be cheaper but i see no reason why they should do it if they think they make more money this way.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome

Did they replace the soundtrack with something that isn't terrible?

These two posts sum up everything wrong with this game.

The "wah-wah" bullshit is just intensely grating and tiresome and actively affects my enjoyment of the game.

Also £50 for this is beyond a fucking joke.

why should it be $40? i understand why you would like it to be but i see no reason why it should. people also thought MK8 should be $40 but that would've lost them millions of dollars.

again i understand why people want the game to be cheaper but i see no reason why they should do it if they think they make more money this way.

Probably due to the fact this is a port of a 6 year old game? I can't imagine Nintendo went through a great cost to port this to Switch and the added extras don't seem as if they would have been expensive or time consuming to implement?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
NSMBU was an original game, not a Wii port. Hyrule Warriors is on record as selling well, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Bayonetta is the only real outlier there, even Pokken was a million seller.

Edit: i was mistaken, had assets from Wii game but was a sequel, not port.
. NSMBU technically was a sequel but a lot of things were similar to Wii counterpart. And luigi's DLC/expansion was added.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

NSMBU was a port from the Wii that had been reworked for Wii U, then had a expansion added.

Are you one of those who claimed that Splatoon 2 was a port? NSMBU wasn't a port.

Holy shit is this true? What a god awful design decision. Atleast in the original player 3 and 4 were just toads.

Still, I highly recommend this for anyone who missed it on WiiU. Where DK:TF doesn't really work with two players, NSMBU shines with two player co-op (3/4 gets a bit hectic)

NSLU is the better game. It's much harder, like the lost levels of NSMB. Anyone who missed it but feels bored of the sterile NSMB style, give NSLU a try.

As I said before in NSLU it was always the case that at least one player had to be Nabbit when playing with four players.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, just sharing Cubed3's review:

http://www.cubed3.com/review/5262/1/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-nintendo-switch.html

9/10 - Exceptional
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxeis an exemplary compilation. Both games have received some quality of life enhancements, and playing as Toadette is pretty entertaining. More importantly, this is simply some of the best content in the Super Mario saga. It's amazing how every element comes together for a thoroughly refined platforming experience. The level design is nothing short of genius, and the flawless controls make every leap more joyous than the last. Everyone who hasn't already played through the Wii U version should pick this up immediately.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather a 3D World Deluxe but the NVC team spoke very highly of this one. I think I'm just done with 2D Switch titles.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I guess I'll get it eventually, wasn't in a rush to get this especially with the fact the other major releases coming out for this month. I did enjoy the game when it came out on the Wii U but never managed to beat it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
$60? Hell no - it should be $30 or less considering they didn't add much to this port and that it's a 6 year old game with recycled art and music.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this game I hope to God Nintendo gives 2D Mario an art shake-up for the next go-around. Gimme Cuphead-like animation in this style:

2d-mario.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game as a single player experience is excellent and some of the best 2D levels the series has ever seen. Worth it if you never played the original.

The spin move not being able to be assigned to a button and blue toad being removed is baffling. Surely both of those have to be patched at some point?
I already mentioned why I prefer to support those games over this one.

You said those games were objectively better. As someone that played both Travis Strikes Again and Dragon Marked for Death, I wasn't impressed from their booth demos. Still getting both to support them but you don't need to shit on one thing to elevate something else.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get over how terrible and bad the art style is in this game, except that one watercolor painting level

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you've never played it then you should get Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Celeste instead. It's so bland. The Luigi stuff was slightly better but it's not worth the full price.

This are three very different games, you could enjoy every single one of them but hate the others. The gameplay in Donkey Kong, Celeste and NSMBU is very different.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just like with 3D World, those people have a tendency to over inflate the value of Wii U era Mario games.

The price is hurting this game in the reviews honestly. That and the New aesthetic fatigue. The game is brilliant, though. I agree with Jeremy Parish. He says it's the best 2D Mario.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
You said those games were objectively better. As someone that played both Travis Strikes Again and Dragon Marked for Death, I wasn't impressed from their booth demos. Still getting both to support them but you don't need to shit on one thing to elevate something else.
Eh, I feel like this one deserves to be sh*tted on.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

I never understand when people play devil's advocate like this. Yeah obviously if nintendo can get away with charging people for barebones online and 60 dollar ports with minimal content of course they will. Any company would.

But some companies are doing full on remakes/remasters for half the price. Its fair to criticize the blatant greed.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just as expected, is scoring lower than the original.

Which is understandable. As I've said before, NSMBU pretty much got the reverse effect of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. While DKCTF got better reception with the years up to the point of becoming a cult classic, NSMBU got simply blander and blander everytime a new 2D platformer was released after it.

There are better games releasing this month on Switch that deserve our support more anyway.

While I understand people being tired of the art style and music, this is the best in the NSMB series and a legitimately fantastic game. It's one of the best platformers this decade.

TF is obviously better, of course.