• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stephrightup

Feb 16, 2019
Downpour is my favorite post Team Silent game. You can see the love and appreciation for the series in its environmental design, even if the actual art direction and story left a lot to be desired. There's a good game buried beneath all of the jank.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Downpour is my favorite post Team Silent game. You can see the love and appreciation for the series in its environmental design, even if the actual art direction and story left a lot to be desired. There's a good game buried beneath all of the jank.
Ditto. I wish people would get past the Korn song and appreciate the game for what it is and does. It's the boldest Western Silent Hill.

Oct 25, 2017

They all had something to offer, and it's really only these days that I started to see what and how. I'm sort of embarrassed actually by how I use to feel about these games; it was a mix of the originals (1-3) being so legendary, but also just ignorance and the mysticism of foreign games acting as a critique. It is true that those original games told stories in a genuinely impressive, cohesive way, and the new ones do not, but there is actually so much overlap in so many ways between what the originals do right and what the newer titles did that I feel like I was truly unfair to them. Replaying them and also just being older has given me more ground to stand on in critiquing them, but it's also given me a lot more understanding for how, in each their own way, they were trying to move things forward. I'm not going to go into a dissertation on it, but absolutely I believe now that almost every 'bad' Silent Hill game is actually far, far better than 98% of the horror titles that come out today, and it isn't just because of their origin or associations.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The problem with that era of Silent Hill was that Konami kept giving the games to studios that were under-equipped for them. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of what's good about Downpour comes from it's developer's unique perspective (people often call them just "western devs", but that team was specifically from the Czech Republic and more cultural influences is something worth having in horror). But the technical ability was just lacking all over.

Downpour has major technical issues, from the classic frame rate and stuttering issues to the game's story giving you the wrong ending for the choices you make... it's a mess in a lot of ways. Around the same time the HD Collection was given a studio used to making low budget mobile games, they were not prepared to re-finish those games based on unfinished builds.

Thankfully that doesn't SEEM to be the case here.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Ditto. I wish people would get past the Korn song and appreciate the game for what it is and does. It's the boldest Western Silent Hill.

The Korn song was whatever. Misguided… Hullett flexing the last of his production muscles, whatever.
The worst was Yamaoka not even being asked to score. The initial assumption was that he turned it down, but he wasn't even asked. For Silent Hill, that seems inexcusable to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but it's very close with Shattered Memories. SM is such an interesting concept. I'd say even Origins and Homecoming have some neat ideas- Homecoming's being it's shift to the otherworld.

Downpour was unfortunately hit by budget limitations and obvious content cuts, but a lot of it works well. The team did a great job for not having experience with a game of that scope prior, despite all the technical shortcoming; but there is so many good ideas on display for a semi-open world set in Silent Hill. Story stumbles a bit as well from having a "morality system". I love it though, warts and all.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The Korn song was whatever. Misguided… Hullett flexing the last of his production muscles, whatever.
The worst was Yamaoka not even being asked to score. The initial assumption was that he turned it down, but he wasn't even asked. For Silent Hill, that seems inexcusable to me.
I think the Korn song was a demand from the higher-ups. Hulett cared a lot for the series (to the point of being temporarily suspended from Homecoming's development over him being extremely outspoken about either having Pyramid Head in the game or it being a boss fight), so I don't think he'd think Korn was something Silent Hill needed. Dan Licht might've been an attempt to make the game more marketable to Western audiences, something like "Look! It's the guy who composed the soundtrack for Dexter!", which maybe wasn't something Hulett could do much about either.

Oct 29, 2017
The Korn song was such a turn off to me. Sorry but not very sorry.

*Stupid autocorrect.

Downpour's enemies, combat system, and Otherworld were proper trash, and the story was just another SH2 retread.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think the Korn song was a demand from the higher-ups. Hulett cared a lot for the series (to the point of being temporarily suspended from Homecoming's development over him being extremely outspoken about either having Pyramid Head in the game or it being a boss fight), so I don't think he'd think Korn was something Silent Hill needed. Dan Licht might've been an attempt to make the game more marketable to Western audiences, something like "Look! It's the guy who composed the soundtrack for Dexter!", which maybe wasn't something Hulett could do much about either.

I can certainly believe all of that.
Needless to say, Konami corporate was (and had been) out of touch since the end of Gen 6. Death by a thousand cuts.

That's why I'd love to see them come back in a big way in the console space; not just with SH, but with the plethora (no 3 Amigos jokes, please) of their storied IPs.

Oct 29, 2017
One question I have about the leaks is why was DG's new source allowed to divulge in the information, and how is no one in any kind of trouble? Also, how can you just trust someone you hardly even know? Then again, I'm not very trusting of others to begin with.

Edit: Actually 3 questions. 🤓

Oct 25, 2017
One question I have about the leaks is why was DG's new source allowed to divulge in the information, and how is no one in any kind of trouble? Also, how can you just trust someone you hardly even know? Then again, I'm not very trusting of others to begin with.

He says he has way more than he is showing. Chances are good he has essentially hard evidence of this and probably other SH games in development if he is willing to once again stake his rep on it.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
oh god the Korn song. Legitimately the most unintentionally funny thing to come out of this whole series.

I mean... they weren't allowed to divulge it, that's why it's a leak.
After seeing the Ito artwork though there's no real doubt this is legit. The amount of effort it would take not only to fake his signature but also telling aspects of his artwork itself, it's real. Konami then sending a copyright claim on the imagines was the final nail in an already closed coffin. It's real.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I would just like to add on to the Shattered Memories appreciation thread. It's a flawed (Silent Hill) game, but damn is it one of the most unique and haunting games I've played.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Shattered Memories deserves to stand alongside 1-3 imo. People get caught up in it being a "reimagining of SH1" that isn't faithful to that game's plot but it was trying to be. It used it as a basis to tell it's own very original story with it's own themes. It being a subversion of SH1 does add another fun layer to it so I don't agree with people who say that angle should have been dropped but the real heart of the story has nothing to do with that.

Plus the psychological profile stuff was a lot of fun. I made my friends play it after they played 1-3 and it took a second for them to realize the profile in the credits was them but it was spot on.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Downpour is a flawed game, but it has some of the spookiest moments in the series. It's held back by some annoying mechanics and horrid enemy design.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Bloober game is VR? I mean, they've done VR games for Blair Witch and Layers of Fear. Them doing a PSVR2 thing could be interesting, though it wouldn't mesh with the Silent Hill 2 Remake rumors.

Unless they're remaking Silent Hill 2 in VR.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
At this point, Bloober Team's Silent Hill game being anything would be a win for me as long as it's not a remake of Silent Hill 2 (or any of the originals really).

s y

Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Fellow Member
(It's a long ass thread that's still going so I won't post everything)

jesus christ lmao
do-anything-clout.gif

Apr 5, 2022
I mean...I know Dusk has his doubters (I'm not one of them) but come on lol please don't post something like this and then end up eating crow later you know? Just hold onto that rear you got there and wait for something to show up. I know I'm just waiting until something does eventually happen, and when it does? I hope I can be excited like the rest of the people here.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Someone suggested on the other thread that the new game might be about the town of Silent Hill infecting other parts of the world through the internet, and I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea (especially if Japanese developers are doing it).

On the surface, it sounds corny and out of line with the series because of American horror films like Scream and Hellraiser: Hellworld. However, if you take it seriously, you can take it to some pretty disturbing places: the premise of the Otherworld spreading to specific people all over the world through chain emails, social media, ETC. Just look at the Ringu series for example.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Someone suggested on the other thread that the new game might be about the town of Silent Hill infecting other parts of the world through the internet, and I'm actually starting to warm up to the idea (especially if Japanese developers are doing it).

On the surface, it sounds corny and out of line with the series because of American horror films like Scream and Hellraiser: Hellworld. However, if you take it seriously, you can take it to some pretty disturbing places: the premise of the Otherworld spreading to specific people all over the world through chain emails, social media, ETC. Just look at the Ringu series for example.

That is practically Silent Hills. Haha.
Weren't there some rumors before how the reboot could happen in Japan itself back then?
Maybe now each game happens in different countries.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Are you implying Silent Hill...spreading via crypto? SilentCoin that changes reality? Is that what are you implying? 👹

Callego

Nov 22, 2017
A Silent Hill game inspired by Ringu or Kiyoshi Kurasawa's Pulse would very much be my kinda shit. We've already seen how the town's power can reach very far, I can see how a world that's simultaneously more interconnected through tech while inhabiting more disconnected and alienated people could be VERY interesting.

May 26, 2018

username 666 for real :O

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020

Yeah, I mean... it could be like Kairo... or like Fear Dot Com. It can go either way.

Apr 27, 2018

Do you have a link to that post? That sounds very interesting in concept.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Downpour was unfortunately hit by budget limitations and obvious content cuts, but a lot of it works well. The team did a great job for not having experience with a game of that scope prior, despite all the technical shortcoming; but there is so many good ideas on display for a semi-open world set in Silent Hill. Story stumbles a bit as well from having a "morality system". I love it though, warts and all.
Let's not forget Konami's ever present meddling. The shift to combat as a focus, more action, and who knows what else they would have imposed on these smaller studios who would have had no leverage to argue. I will never forget Konami trying to force SH3 into an on-rail shooter. We talk a lot about the Western Studios not understanding the IP, but no one is more clueless than the IP holders. I honestly respect Hulett for what he tried to do with Silent Hill, and I will always give the devs the benefit of the doubt over Konami.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
Let's not forget Konami's ever present meddling. The shift to combat as a focus, more action, and who knows what else they would have imposed on these smaller studios who would have had no leverage to argue. I will never forget Konami trying to force SH3 into an on-rail shooter. We talk a lot about the Western Studios not understanding the IP, but no one is more clueless than the IP holders. I honestly respect Hulett for what he tried to do with Silent Hill, and I will always give the devs the benefit of the doubt over Konami.
SH3 started off as an arcade on rail shooter because SH2 did not sell well and was not liked in Japan. Time has been good to SH2, but it wasn't well received initially. SH1 and SH2 did not have any interference with management. That's the reason why SH3 started off as a rail shooter. If you want to blame someone, blame the sells. Also, Silent Hill the Arcade, the arcade rail shooter, is a lot of fun. https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1143637883066052609?s=21&t=Hw6Lz0cfiuI_wpeNytaqnw

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
SH3 started off as an arcade on rail shooter because SH2 did not sell well and was not liked in Japan. Time has been good to SH2, but it wasn't well received initially. SH1 and SH2 did not have any interference with management. That's the reason why SH3 started off as a rail shooter. If you want to blame someone, blame the sells. Also, Silent Hill the Arcade, the arcade rail shooter, is a lot of fun. https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1143637883066052609?s=21&t=Hw6Lz0cfiuI_wpeNytaqnw

Yeah as much as I would like to claim otherwise SH never really set the world on fire saleswise.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Hmmm... getting into Silent Hill through your computer like SH4 did with the holes (you werent really going to SH but whatever) could be a way to make the game UK based but i still think the idea can be extremely corny and not well receive, im curious because the concept can be really good. Something like Lain, where the internet is a weird and surreal meta world or something like that but in full horror

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think people give Downpour too much credit for its attempt to capture the sentiment / feeling of the classic games and don't knock it enough for its catastrophic technical issues and, IMO, weak level design and confusing mid-game progression. This is to say nothing about the art design. I think Homecoming, on the other hand, gets an unfair shake mostly...it's derivative and unoriginal and hews too closely to the film but there are some really well done segments. It plays mostly like a classic SH with some very nice QoL changes, like not needing to load every room.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm... getting into Silent Hill through your computer like SH4 did with the holes (you werent really going to SH but whatever) could be a way to make the game UK based

Still convinced folks are reading too much into the UK aspect at this point, and the main character is just an expat with background in the UK that will obviously be important.

Oct 29, 2017
If I remember correctly, it was first suggested by DominusArmanius.

I forget where his first post was.

Post 5214 on the other thread. I didn't completely come up with the idea just by myself, as I pointed out in that other thread. Personally, I don't think it's the internet itself, but that Silent Hill is mimicking the internet, somehow manifesting this concept through a character's subconscious mind. I see quite a few parallels to SH4, but in different ways, IMO. This could be great if executed well, IMO.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think people give Downpour too much credit for its attempt to capture the sentiment / feeling of the classic games and don't knock it enough for its catastrophic technical issues and, IMO, weak level design and confusing mid-game progression. This is to say nothing about the art design. I think Homecoming, on the other hand, gets an unfair shake mostly...it's derivative and unoriginal and hews too closely to the film but there are some really well done segments. It plays mostly like a classic SH with some very nice QoL changes, like not needing to load every room.
I totally didn't realize until just now these were two different games

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Why?
Why won't you come?
I wish you would come here...

chisa_yomoda_28629lckgm.png

God... is here.