• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Conflicting reports aside, I would hope that if the new characters that are added are important ones that they got D.K. to design them. Love their work in the original game.

Also hope they're reworking geometry and textures as those are pretty bland in the original but it's kinda hard to know how they're going about it at this point.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played any Nier game - is this a prequel to Nier Automata? Should I wait for this to come out, play it, and then play Automata?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, sounds like the automata gameplay thing may have been overstated.
Well, I'm still looking forward to it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played any Nier game - is this a prequel to Nier Automata? Should I wait for this to come out, play it, and then play Automata?

It takes place thousands of years before, there's some characters and certain story beats that you'll appreciate more if you've played replicant, but if you're itching to play Automata then go for it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ideally yes, if you haven't played Automata yet pick this one up when it comes out, then go into Automata. It'll make certain scenes and characters make more sense.

OP
OP
Accoun

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC It takes place like 8000 years before Automata or something like that. It's not your typical direct sequel, can be enjoyed separately, but there are some direct references to the original. I guess Hobbit to LotR would be the most relatable comparison?

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Im expecting this to run using the same engine as automata which is why some of the platinum devs are helping in the project, I hope it has at least the same budget as that one too.
Im all in for Taro and excited to see what his current project is outside of this remaster and the phone game, square was probably pleased with automata.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
It takes place thousands of years before, there's some characters and certain story beats that you'll appreciate more if you've played replicant, but if you're itching to play Automata then go for it.
Ideally yes, if you haven't played Automata yet pick this one up when it comes out, then go into Automata. It'll make certain scenes and characters make more sense.
IIRC It takes place like 8000 years before Automata or something like that. It's not your typical direct sequel, can be enjoyed separately, but there are some direct references to the original. I guess Hobbit to LotR would be the most relatable comparison?

ty, I'm in no rush so I'll just wait for this to come out and then marathon the series.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
At the end of the day, there's no way Taro does something like "a Nier remaster" without injecting some crazy-ass secret meta element or twist to the whole thing, so frankly this is as exciting and interesting as a new game IMO. Can't wait.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Kainé's "buncha dancin' bastards" line had better still be in there, but I can't wait to see what they've added. They can keep the gameplay exactly the same for all I care, the story and characters are what made the original so good; Automata's combat was fine but not so impressive that it would determine whether a game was worth buying.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
After completing Automata several times, all I want is more nier lore! Can't wait for this!

Fukuro

Feb 24, 2020
The combat in the original wasn't the best but the basis was fine, it just needed to be better polished. I hope the improved combat doesn't end up as over-the-top as Automata's. Nier isn't a combat android.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hints of A2 was vaguely based on Kaine (a girl living with her grandma), so I think we will see who 2B and 9S are actually based on this time.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the tidbits here are a bit worrying. The ending to NieR was already perfect. I hope the new ending doesn't undo all that. Also I hope they can get the old cast back for the dub. Would feel weird to have new voice actors.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Changing the combat? Oh hell yes

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the tidbits here are a bit worrying. The ending to NieR was already perfect. I hope the new ending doesn't undo all that. Also I hope they can get the old cast back for the dub. Would feel weird to have new voice actors.

Apparently the bits about a new ending were a mistranslation.

Jun 23, 2019
Ugh. I was kinda hoping they would revamp, but keep the old system intact. Automata lost a lost of the charm of the original game with all of their flashy, no substance gameplay.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm glad to see that more effort is being placed in this remaster than we initially assumed.

Oh fuck.

Also my god Platinum continues to be overflowing in work.

At best, I think it's just 3-5 staff members from PlatinumGames and not the entire development company, they're not being credited for this.

IzzyRX