• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Didn't Jean steal all the pants in Tevyat and fused them into "super-pants" that are basically another layer of skin over her legs??? Did you guys miss this crucial piece of lore???

The trailer is male-gazey but not as awful as Ganyu. I like Hu Tao's design except for her extremely short shorts. But come on, mihoyo kinda dug themselves into a hole with this one given there are only very short shorts and leggings left in the world after the "Jean catastrophe". Really curious if they'll address that piece of Tevyat history in the story down the line.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
the way she talks to the MC. Very common tropes for that.

This is actually a fairly interesting point to look into. I feel like people's impression of character is going to be colored by which VA version they check first.
Hu Tao is a very weird example where voice direction is really different between all 4 languages. In particular, in OP comparison, she does sound significantly more reserved and almost a little flirtatious in english.

IF you liste to Rie Takahashi's take on the character in comparison, she just sounds like a gremling. Just nothing but mischievousness. I cannot find anything remotely suggestive about her delivery.

And from wht I heard of CN and Korean versions, they seem to play up youthful aspect as she sounds significantly younger and childish there, than either JP or EN take.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
But avatar shaming those with anime characters is always much easier than actually engaging in discussion.

wtf is there to "discuss"? The game has girls in high heels scaling cliff faces which looks dumb as all hell. It was never about portraying them as adventurers but more so as commodities first. The game was OK when I tried it but the pandering is very real.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wtf is there to "discuss"? The game has girls in high heels scaling cliff faces which looks dumb as all hell. It was never about portraying them as adventurers but more so as commodities first. The game was OK when I tried it but the pandering is very real.
It's pretty bold for someone to name themselves Hentailover and embrace that, don't get me wrong. But I'm not going to come to a shitty conclusion about that person's character based on a username like you did, that's disingenuous as fuck.

Edit: And just to be clear, I don't like Genshin Impact at all and agree that the game is very pandering focused as, unfortunately, all Gacha games are.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
wtf is there to "discuss"? The game has girls in high heels scaling cliff faces which looks dumb as all hell. It was never about portraying them as adventurers but more so as commodities first.
None of the characters (apart from Bennett and maybe Klee) are even supposed to be adventurers. Hell, most of them are business owners and various government officials. You're climbing cliffs and fighting monsters because they're video game genre conventions, not because it makes sense for the city administrator or funeral parlor owner to do so.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say shorts are inherently sexual, but at the same time, the pose in the official art is your typical "let me show my ass" pose, and every non toddler girl in the game has the world tightest tights/pantyhose/shorts/pants on, to the point it's probably just painted skin rather than any actual clothing. Hu Tao will be no exception in-game.

On topic, she's probably the character with the most amount of leaked footage out in the history of the game, so seems obvious her official reveal has been hyped up.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is why Mihoyo shouldn't be too worried about people leaking stuff ahead of time. The hype it builds benefits them greatly. Hu Tao has been hyped for months even when all we had was a blurry character model and some minor details about her.

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
I'm ready to toss the tiniest amount of primogems i have to get a 5star pyro character. So please come home to bennet and Xingqiu... lol

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I want her but Mona is my favourite character and I dont have her yet. I could go for 50/50 on Hu Tao but that's risky as hell. I dont think i'll do it and I already have c6 Xiangling for pyro. Cool trailer though... she's awesome.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
But avatar shaming those with anime characters is always much easier than actually engaging in discussion.
Yes, because someone who consciously chose to identify themselves to thousands of strangers online as a "hentai lover" definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt...

Let's not pretend ignoring the way someone chose personify themselves is "taking the high road" or something. Yes, it would be favorable to actually respond to what they're saying but I'm probably gonna assume BigDickSlicerFan2021 is being just a BIT defensive when he's telling me about how Lorena Bobbitt didn't do anything out of the ordinary...

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to pull for her. She seems much more fun to me than the recent characters I've been using and I'm closed to 50/50 so fingers crossed

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
How does she fight? Right now I'm missing Venti, Mona, Qiqi, Dluc and Jean so maybe she'll be helpful for me.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
This is actually a fairly interesting point to look into. I feel like people's impression of character is going to be colored by which VA version they check first.
Hu Tao is a very weird example where voice direction is really different between all 4 languages. In particular, in OP comparison, she does sound significantly more reserved and almost a little flirtatious in english.

IF you liste to Rie Takahashi's take on the character in comparison, she just sounds like a gremling. Just nothing but mischievousness. I cannot find anything remotely suggestive about her delivery.

And from wht I heard of CN and Korean versions, they seem to play up youthful aspect as she sounds significantly younger and childish there, than either JP or EN take.

That's unfortunately a normal thing. I wonder if voice direction is a thing since there are tons of names and places that are pronounced in 5 different ways at least.

But I feel this goes beyond the voice here. The poses are a major red flag from the word go

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does she fight? Right now I'm missing Venti, Mona, Qiqi, Dluc and Jean so maybe she'll be helpful for me.

Pyro polearm DPS, her skill sacrifices a percentage of her current HP to make her attacks do pyro damage for a period of time as well as allow her charge attack to apply a DoT. Her burst does some AOE damage and heals her up.

When her HP is low enough she gets a significant boost to all her pyro damage so you're encouraged to keep her pretty low. So I assume she doesn't get along well with healers, as opposed to shielders like Zhongli.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Pyro polearm DPS, her skill sacrifices a percentage of her current HP to make her attacks do pyro damage for a period of time as well as allow her charge attack to apply a DoT. Her burst does some AOE damage and heals her up.

When her HP is low enough she gets a significant boost to all her pyro damage so you're encouraged to keep her pretty low. So I assume she doesn't get along well with healers, as opposed to shielders like Zhongli.
Mad interesting. I didn't expect that especially after Xiao just dropping weeks earlier hmm. I like that they're being more creative with these characters though so I'll think about getting her. If I get lucky I get lucky but if I'm not I'm not worried.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Already spent vast majority of my primogems on Ganyu and Keqing banners so I think I'm gonna have to pass on Hu Tao despite the fact I like her character design a lot. I'd consider pulling if Rosaria is in the same banner which I doubt T_T

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
1614407947181.png

Somewhat relevant but it makes me giggle

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1614407947181.png

Somewhat relevant but it makes me giggle

At first I was going to say: Aaactually...because Mihoyo so far released more male limited 5 star characters and they have been just as popular if not even more popular than the girls profit-wise, but then what's mentioned on that image still all applies to them, lol.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Most of us aren't going to pull just once. I've saved up ~80 pulls during the last 2 banners, cause I disliked those characters. More than enough to guarantee myself this character or the next, depending on whether I like how they play.

Those leaks are effectively months of free advertising.
Good luck! Isn't the pity at 90 pulls, though? Unless your last 5* pull was an off-banner character, Hu Tao might not be such a sure thing...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Generalizations
What's it with you and that question? Once again, the character is wearing shorts. Nothing wrong about that:

bebe1c82n1a61.jpg
lmao

if yall getting hyped for little anime girls with no pants I gotta give you a side eye

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I've learned, in the eyes of fiction, women don't need pants. They have evolved past them.

Eventually, they will be allowed to wear normal clothes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

if yall getting hyped for little anime girls with no pants I gotta give you a side eye

And I gotta give you a free ride on my ignore list for that nasty insinuation and generalization of many in this thread.
Also, please be at least consistent. A couple days ago I was a "Cloud simp" when I discussed his character model in another thread. Now I'm "hyped about little anime girls". Maybe, just maybe some people like to discuss in general game character models and video game art of all sorts?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And I gotta give you a free ride on my ignore list for that nasty insinuation and generalization of many in this thread.
Also, please be at least consistent. A couple days ago I was a "Cloud simp" when I discussed his character model in another thread. Now I'm "hyped about little anime girls". Maybe, just maybe some people like to discuss in general game character models and video game art of all sorts?
You're obviously an Akhos simp, he's even your avatar!

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Those leaks are effectively months of free advertising.
And the opportunity for players to have some level of visibility into the future to get somewhat of an idea on how to save ( or not ) their limited gacha ressourses.
Being kept even more in the dark would make it even more predatory than it already is.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
If she turns out to be really powerful I'm gonna feel bad about missing out on her but I'm on my guaranteed pity and I need anemo characters more than I need pyros right now. I'm sure I'll be tempted to pull if she turns out to be as powerful as Ganyu

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I can't invite her into my team. I'm too protective of Qiqi. Good luck to everyone trying for her.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None of the characters (apart from Bennett and maybe Klee) are even supposed to be adventurers. Hell, most of them are business owners and various government officials. You're climbing cliffs and fighting monsters because they're video game genre conventions, not because it makes sense for the city administrator or funeral parlor owner to do so.
Let's not pretend those are totally normal clothes for a city administrator. Or an acting head of knights. Or a field investigator. And whether they are parts of the adventurer's guild or not, the story still has them travel and fight with those clothes.