• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99.999% they aren't going to do a FF7/NNK style overworld, it just completely contradicts the scale, production values, tech, and the direction the franchise has been going in for nearly 2 decades now.

With that being said, i also don't think they're going to do a huge FFXV style open world either, my guess is something closer to FFXII, but obviously with much larger/less flat zones with less loading.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The long drives in the Regalia is a huge part of why 15 is so special to me. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really glad it's there. One of my favorite open world games ever.
I think I would have been able to tolerate, maybe even appreciate, the Regalia rides if I had enjoyed the rest of the game. I really liked the "road trip" vibe of XV and the relationship between the bros.

It's just that I personally never had any fun when I got to the places the Regalia took me.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really think we're having some sort of communication disconnect here. Let me put it another way: if you were to try and walk from my house in Chicago to Wrigley Field, it would take an hour. If I were to walk from my house to where I work, it would take about two and a half to three hours. My office is about seven miles from here, and that's not even half the width of the city of Chicago.

If you were to walk from the Midgar city gate to Kalm or Junon at a normal human walking speed in an open world setup, it would take probably seven hours to get to Kalm and probably a day and a half to get to Junon. Yes, you could give the player a vehicle, but then suddenly people are just going to start talking about the game like it's FFXV all over again, and the overwhelming majority of the world will just be dead space, like Gaia Lanzer said.

The only logical way to translate VII's world in a reasonable manner that also allows the player to fly vehicles around and use the submarine and Gold Chocobos is to build it with a classic-style FF overworld. That's the long and short of it.

Why would it have to take so long to get any where just to show scale.
Taking 45mins to 1hour on foot long enough for that to get Kalm for eg .
Yes people talk bad about FFXV but there is no reason FFVIIR can't improve on that and making the world more interesting .
At end of the day they not going to please everyone so if some say it has empty space so be it .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why would it have to take so long to get any where just to show scale.
Taking 45mins to 1hour on foot long enough for that to get Kalm for eg .
Yes people talk bad about FFXV but there is no reason FFVIIR can't improve on that and making the world more interesting .
At end of the day they not going to please everyone so if some say it has empty space so be it .

An hour of walking to get to Kalm is too much. That's the problem with open worlds.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know why I barely noticed he spins in FFVII too, but that kinda attention to detail is the thing I'm looking for when remakes happen. Anybody could just come up with a new animation, but to have that kinda love (in this case, Nomura doing that), basically sayin' "I did that back in the day, I see no reason not to incorporate it in the remake's Ifrit appearance!" makes me smile. It's little stuff like that that makes me happy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with that once they give you ways to cut down the time.
I will buy it no matter what the use but i not seeing SE using a overworld for there biggest project ever .
After moving away from it since the PS1 days .

I'll be blunt, I think we're gonna get shitty zones and an actual full explorable world isn't going to happen. No airships, no meaningful Gold Chocobo exploration, just a straight line of bland FFXII zones.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Why is it that metal gear solid is seen as the game that ushered in cinematic games when ff7 predates it by a year?
Voice acting plays a huge part in being cinematic. It is also about style. MGS felt like playing through some summer blockbuster movie. Don't get the same feeling with FF7 as it is a 40 hour RPG after all.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Why is it that metal gear solid is seen as the game that ushered in cinematic games when ff7 predates it by a year?
Both did amazing things, but their approaches to go about that are different and I guess that's why people mostly mention MGS.

You have cinematic cameras and cuts as well as actors in a tightly packed experience in MGS all in-engine, unlike in VII when, outside of CG cinematics (which are relatively scarce, feature no voices or dialogue and are mostly action-focused), you don't really get the luxury of directing conversations and scenes to such a degree, and it ultimately doesn't feel all that different to other RPGs before (relatively speaking, for sure; FF has a deep cinematic flair, especially when things happen in the prerendered backgrounds in real-time jumping into cutscenes, but never to the levels of what a game like MGS allowed Konami to do).

I'm honestly still impressed at how good cutscene direction and the overall game's presentation has been so far in VII-R and I think we might have Jun Akiyama to thank for that. XV really was nothing to write home about in that regard beyond a few moments, while KH3 is KH (although they very much improved them if my memory of the previous games serve me right).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they don't win and there is literally zero closure given by the end of the Midgar sequence, yes. I don't think it's possible to tell a complete and satisfying story using the first four hours of FFVII as a baseline. It's not like Avalanche manages to accomplish ANYTHING in Midgar except (some of them) getting out alive. The whole purpose of Midgar was always to introduce the threats of Shinra and Sephiroth and then be left behind. It's setup, that chapter is not a standalone story on its own merits.

There isn't even a final boss fight, unless you really think that stupid robot on the highway is justifiable as a final boss battle.

As for your latter point, you can have faith in them if you want. But after the past 15 years of Square being an absolute hot mess of a company, a lot of people do not.

I really think we're having some sort of communication disconnect here. Let me put it another way: if you were to try and walk from my house in Chicago to Wrigley Field, it would take an hour. If I were to walk from my house to where I work, it would take about two and a half to three hours. My office is about seven miles from here, and that's not even half the width of the city of Chicago.

If you were to walk from the Midgar city gate to Kalm or Junon at a normal human walking speed in an open world setup, it would take probably seven hours to get to Kalm and probably a day and a half to get to Junon. Yes, you could give the player a vehicle, but then suddenly people are just going to start talking about the game like it's FFXV all over again, and the overwhelming majority of the world will just be dead space, like Gaia Lanzer said.

The only logical way to translate VII's world in a reasonable manner that also allows the player to fly vehicles around and use the submarine and Gold Chocobos is to build it with a classic-style FF overworld. That's the long and short of it.
I'll be blunt, I think we're gonna get shitty zones and an actual full explorable world isn't going to happen. No airships, no meaningful Gold Chocobo exploration, just a straight line of bland FFXII zones.
Calm down on the pessimism planet, lets wait and see

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, they can put it someplace DEEP underGROUND.

Sound familiar?
latest

tTc9cKQ.gif

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

the original Final Fantasy VII doesnt really offer the fundamental basis of an open World Game.
The world itself was never in the center of the story and actions - it functioned more as a bridge for the player to get from A to B.
The main stuff in FFVII took mostly place in certain locations (Town, Cities, ferry, temple, reactors) - by making it a fully explorable and huge world (which they would need to given the size of the world map) they would distract from that red line you were following as a player.

The world didn't offer that much, it was just a plain green area that was pretty small given due the miniature size, which is why you could reach another location pretty fast.

a good open world game, needs a good open world - not just huge empty areas that FFVII realized in modern graphcis would offer.

there is no perfect solution for the remake - and its gonna be interesting to see how they will tackle the world.

I would rather have zones than having a open world just for the sake of it beeing open world

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
the original Final Fantasy VII doesnt really offer the fundamental basis of an open World Game.
The World itself was never in the center of the story and actions - it functioned more as a bridge for the player to get from A to B.
The main stuff in FFVII took mostly place in certain locations (Town, Citiy, ferry, temple, reactors) - by making it a fully exploralable and huge (which they would need to given the size of the world map) they would distract from that red line you were following as a player.

The world didn't offer that much, it was just a plain green area that was pretty small given due the miniature size, which is why you could another location pretty fast.

an good open world game, needs a good open world - not just huge empty areas that FFVII realized in modern graphcis would offer.

there is no perfect solution for the remake - and its gonna be interesting to see how they will tackle the world.

I would rather have zones than having a open world just for the sake of it beeing open world

Like I said, I don't want an open world. I just want a classic-style overworld that actually lets us explore the entire planet and use vehicles to get to secret areas.

There has never, ever, ever been a zone-based RPG world that has satisfied me. Not once.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I don't want an open world. I just want a classic-style overworld that actually lets us explore the entire planet and use vehicles.

There has never, ever, ever been a zone-based RPG world that has satisfied me. Not once.

doubt thats gonna happen, since that classic style would clash with the modern stlye of the remake.

an alternative like i mentioned is the stlye of Dragon Quest 11. When you use the ship or fly with a dragon the world becomes a miniature map. Outside of those vehicles you have these larger zones connected via loading time

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
doubt thats gonna happen, since that classic style would clash with the modern stlye of the remake.

an alternative like i mentioned is the stlye of Dragon Quest 11. When you use the ship or fly with a dragon the world becomes a miniature map. Outside of those vehicles you have these larger zones connected via loading time

Yeah, I didn't enjoy DQXI's world at all. Every single zone is just a big, boring box with too much empty space and nothing interesting to do or find inside.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

This is what Lost Odyssey did as well, and I can honestly see it working this way for FF7.

More importantly, though: in real terms, you could probably restructure the story in such a way that they don't need to deploy an actual world map until the third game. So we might not get an answer to this question for a long, long time. But FF7's story is really quite linear, and could be structured like FF10 (or... whisper it, FF13) up until after you first visit the Northern Crater. There's a bit of openness with the buggy and Tiny Bronco, but you could genuinely cut or streamline that and little of worth would be lost, especially if they're making every area larger and more impressive. Like, if the trade off for the buggy is that coral prison is a thriving dirt town of sorts, and more memorable, that's ok, imo.

Nah, this is going to be make Square very rich, unlike SEGA who were losing money at the time.

The challenge with this game will always be the further parts. This is always going to sell millions, but the challenge will be getting people to come back in the same or greater numbers for part two - and beyond. I'm not saying Square won't finish it if it doesn't live up to expectation - I think they'd sooner go bankrupt, tbh, so they definitely will finish it - but hopefully the numbers stay up to justify the big budgets these games require. That was what was most brutal about the FF13 sequels; the mad vanishing point of the budget for Lighting Returns because of 13-2's incredible, brutal drop-off in sales. That meme of the Lightning Returns dog is basically: this is what happens when you've committed to finishing this story but don't have the sales justification to pump in loads of money.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is going to be make Square very rich, unlike SEGA who were losing money at the time.
I wonder if the "Square is gonna pull out a FF7R if they get in trouble" meme is/ever was valid. I think it will make a lot of money (and XV did, and didn't have near the positive vibes going into it) but I wonder what Square's expectations are. And how successful this needs to be to guarantee a part 2.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Lost Odyssey did as well, and I can honestly see it working this way for FF7.

More importantly, though: in real terms, you could probably restructure the story in such a way that they don't need to deploy an actual world map until the third game. So we might not get an answer to this question for a long, long time. But FF7's story is really quite linear, and could be structured like FF10 (or... whisper it, FF13) up until after you first visit the Northern Crater. There's a bit of openness with the buggy and Tiny Bronco, but you could genuinely cut or streamline that and little of worth would be lost, especially if they're making every area larger and more impressive. Like, if the trade off for the buggy is that coral prison is a thriving dirt town of sorts, and more memorable, that's ok, imo.

ah lost odyssey - thats another perfect example . And the funny thing is, that structure is coming from Gooch himself.
as long as you give the sensation of freedom they can pull it off.

and i agree with your last part. At the end of the day there have to be sacrifices in favor of other elements. You cannot make everyone happy.

I wonder if the "Square is gonna pull out a FF7R if they get in trouble" meme is/ever was valid. I think it will make a lot of money (and XV did, and didn't have near the positive vibes going into it) but I wonder what Square's expectations are. And how successful this needs to be to guarantee a part 2.

actually i don't think Square Enix were greenlighting it due the trouble. It was just the perfect timing and maybe the last chance to create it, since Kitase, Nomura and Nojima were available and that was the condition for the project to happen.
saleswise it's gonna be really interesting to see how it will fare, personally i expect it to outsell the original and cross the 10 million mark

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ah lost odyssey - thats another perfect example . And the funny thing is, that structure is coming from Gooch himself.
as long as you give the sensation of freedom they can pull it off.

and i agree with your last part. At the end of the day there have to be sacrifices in favor of other elements. You cannot make everyone happy.

Lost Odyssey's world design sucked from a gameplay standpoint, though. It was just FFX with a really bad controllable boat.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
actually i don't think Square Enix were greenlighting it due the trouble. It was just the perfect timing and maybe the last chance to create it, since Kitase, Nomura and Nojima were available and that was the condition for the project to happen.
saleswise it's gonna be really interesting to see how it will fare, personally i expect it to outsell the original and cross the 10 million mark
That's an interesting thought. Makes me wonder if Nomura was actually pulled from XV due to development issues like we all assumed, or if they pulled him from it because they would prefer he headed this project up.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
how so? played it 9 years ago so my memories aren't that fresh anymore

It's exactly like FFX's structure, basically - you're going on a linear journey from place to place, picking locations off of a "world map" menu and automatically teleporting to them.

Then late in the game you're given a controllable boat but you can only use it to go to like two places that you couldn't already access with the selection map and it takes an agonizingly long amount of time to get anywhere.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting thought. Makes me wonder if Nomura was actually pulled from XV due to development issues like we all assumed, or if they pulled him from it because they would prefer he headed this project up.

probably a combination of both.
Nomura wanted a trilogy (or atleast sequels) for versus and would be stuck with the ip for a very long time - on the other hand i guess Square Enix just wanted to be done with project after all the long wait and a long lasting saga would be too much of a risk, given the performance of the XIII Trilogy. The Final Fantasy Remake is another story tough, since the sales potential is on another level and much more worth the risk

it seems like nomura was already planning in the past to set a remake up:

i wonder if this was during the development of versus or after that

It's exactly like FFX's structure, basically - you're going on a linear journey from place to place, picking locations off of a "world map" menu and automatically teleporting to them.

Then late in the game you're given a controllable boat but you can only use it to go to like two places that you couldn't already access with the selection map and it takes an agonizingly long amount of time to get anywhere.

ok
well if they use that base and refine it, i could see it work

this could work for the submarine and airship

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ok
well if they use that base and refine it, i could see it work

this could work for the submarine and airship

It really wasn't very satisfying in LO, I'm afraid. You're always intimately familiar with the fact that the version of the world you're flying around doesn't in any way match the world you were walking around previously, and you also can't really land the airship anywhere. If memory serves, it can take off and land in bodies of water and can only dock with a very small number of ports.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was trouble either, just this sentiment among players that "Square could drop a FF7 remake and it would print money" like it was this sure thing, and back then maybe it was. I'm wondering if Square has a similar sentiment, and what is factoring into their expectations for this "part 1" title.

Like a ton of people back in the day and over the years played the game, I'm just not sure with the market being as diverse as it is that you can look at what happened and just count on it happening again.

Just as amazing as all this is I'm still super apprehensive about parts 2+ and probably will be until I see it in person. A post-credits scene/trailer at the end of this game is probably the soonest possible time I think they would acknowledge it. For as much of an undertaking as Midgar is, I feel like some of the most difficult things the team has to think about are wall market/honey bee inn, the rest is fairly cut and dry. Once you step outside Midgar the challenges exponentially increase, and it will be interesting to see how they tackle it.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The game is almost guaranteed to sell well. What will be more interesting will be the drop off in sales for the second game onward.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The challenge with this game will always be the further parts. This is always going to sell millions, but the challenge will be getting people to come back in the same or greater numbers for part two - and beyond. I'm not saying Square won't finish it if it doesn't live up to expectation - I think they'd sooner go bankrupt, tbh, so they definitely will finish it - but hopefully the numbers stay up to justify the big budgets these games require. That was what was most brutal about the FF13 sequels; the mad vanishing point of the budget for Lighting Returns because of 13-2's incredible, brutal drop-off in sales. That meme of the Lightning Returns dog is basically: this is what happens when you've committed to finishing this story but don't have the sales justification to pump in loads of money.

I question this logic somewhat.

FF13 was always a complete game with a definitive end. To the point where they had to retcon the ending of the game just to make another one. The sequels largely dont even have anything to do with the original game in terms of lore or story when they start introducing the time travel nonsense and alternate timelines and end of the world stuff. They pretty much threw out the world building and lore of the previous games every time they started a new game.

I dont think the FF13 trilogy was a case of building on a series of plot devices you had planned from the start, but a restart every game where Toriyama's team would come up with some new scenario so they could justify crystal tools massive investment sink that didnt pay off anywhere else, due to no one else working on AAA games in SE JP at the time.

In addition, the sales and word of mouth dropped off sharply for the sequel because of the negative reaction to the original, they tried to fix some of the complaints but it was too late and most people didnt care by FF13-2 and especially LR. I dont think that would happen with a trilogy that had good response and word of mouth from the first installment

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
The game is almost guaranteed to sell well. What will be more interesting will be the drop off in sales for the second game onward.

That depends on three things:

1. How well Episode Midgar does with the fans. As in, are they able to fulfill the promise of a full fledged FF RPG with the first entry? (which is important if you are charging $60 for it)
2. If they use Next gen capabilities to both make the game look better and use it as a marketing spin for Episode Two.
3. How much of the game will be featured in Episode Two. IMO, until the end of Disc 1 is absolutely necessary at least and I do assume it's possible as they already have a lot of basic stuff like assets and battle mechanics in place.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

1. How well Episode Midgar does with the fans. As in, are they able to fulfill the promise of a full fledged FF RPG with the first entry? (which is important if you are charging $60 for it)
2. If they use Next gen capabilities to both make the game look better and use it as a marketing spin for Episode Two.
3. How much of the game will be featured in Episode Two. IMO, until the end of Disc 1 is absolutely necessary at least and I do assume it's possible as they already have a lot of basic stuff like assets and battle mechanics in place.
Those are all good valid points. I would also add the gap between release will be important. If it takes too long to release the next game, it might loose some momentum.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't enjoy DQXI's world at all. Every single zone is just a big, boring box with too much empty space and nothing interesting to do or find inside.

That is pretty much the Overworld of the original FFVII in a nutshell. The original has Midgar, Kalm and the entrance to Mithril caves and wasn't much beyond that either.

FFXII zones were perfect, that can add so much more detail and can provide enough space for Chocobo's. You can have hidden chests only the different colour Chocobo's can access from here as well. Dead ends with chests, multiple layer terrain etc.

Frankly an Overworld would be less interesting that detailed zones.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

It is FFVII it will sell well and all the current hype will be for its benefit. Of course there will be the traditionalists who expect only the full he will do.

I am sure they know its a long term project and have everything rendered for next generation and what we are getting in the first part is a scaled down version. I am sure Sony will push it if the exclusivity deal lasts for the second part.

There was an article saying they haven't decided yet where to end it. Probably waiting to see how much content they can fit into the game and deciding where to end it.

Those are all good valid points. I would also add the gap between release will be important. If it takes too long to release the next game, it might loose some momentum.

I say the gap will be 18 to 24 months between releases. It's the preproduction that takes the most time and that has been going on for years.
We probably get FFXVI between them as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I question this logic somewhat.

FF13 was always a complete game with a definitive end. To the point where they had to retcon the ending of the game just to make another one. The sequels largely dont even have anything to do with the original game in terms of lore or story when they start introducing the time travel nonsense and alternate timelines and end of the world stuff. They pretty much threw out the world building and lore of the previous games every time they started a new game.

I dont think the FF13 trilogy was a case of building on a series of plot devices you had planned from the start, but a restart every game where Toriyama's team would come up with some new scenario so they could justify crystal tools massive investment sink that didnt pay off anywhere else, due to no one else working on AAA games in SE JP at the time.

In addition, the sales and word of mouth dropped off sharply for the sequel because of the negative reaction to the original, they tried to fix some of the complaints but it was too late and most people didnt care by FF13-2 and especially LR. I dont think that would happen with a trilogy that had good response and word of mouth from the first installment
Also XIII-2 had its own set of complaints, mostly around story, that meant by the third instalment interest was at an all time low for the XIII saga.