• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can BioWare Deliver

• Yes

Votes: 191 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 475 71.3%

• Total voters

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
All I want is a good game. That's it. I know they might not be able to reach the mass effect/kotor heights, but what makes me hopeful is that they know that they can't do any worse and they have to hit it out of the park

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they can. On all ends. They have incredibly skilled people over there. It's up to them and how they deliver their vision.

As much as Casey and Mark were important, they can be replaced. And Casey wasn't managing Mass Effect, he was managing the studio.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't want to act like like all the negative people in here, but it's too early to tell. If the next years for Mass Effect 5(or whatever you wanna call it) look too much like Andromeda, which is, not showing anything but people working on their computers and some artworks for 3 years and the first actual gameplay trailer after 4 years is filled with robotic animations, then I'll guess we'll know for sure.

The fact that they got some veterans to work on it is a good sign at least.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sadly not. I was hoping they could have a Capcom moment but I'm too cynical to see that happening after how mediocre DA:I was, how mediocre ME: A was and how awful Anthem was. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if EA let's Bioware do what they want....

I want these franchises to be good again. Especially Mass Effect. DA Inquisition was pretty good I think but nothing compared to Origins.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I believe so. They recovered from Dragon Age 2 after all. Dragon Age Inquisition has its flaws but many great things as well. Andromeda we can write off as the failed B studio effort. It is harder to write off Anthem, but it was their attempt to chase the Destiny fad and the fact that it failed makes it more likely for them to return to their core, which may actually be a good thing.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I am hopeful that the success of Jedi: Fallen Order has made EA realise that there is still a huge market for linear-ish single-player games. Drop open worlds and the game gets significantly easier to build.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not until they abandon the belief in the "Bioware magic" happening late in the development cycle.

look up Bioware magic and shake your head in disbelief.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Because it was? First Bioware game that started development under EA's ownership and already abandoned most of their RPG roots to chase market trends, they never really recovered.

For me ME2 is the golden standard of Bioware and a game very important for turning into a fan.

So I don't really see it.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Bioware know they have sucked, and EA know it also. I feel like its studio closure time or they actually give them the time and talent to do it.

Feel like them putting out another sucky game is the least likely of these 3 options. Also I liked Andromeda about as much as ME3, and love Inquisition.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a Bioware anymore, every talent left years ago.

Only giving credit to the outward-facing big names, when there are hundreds of developers involved, is a toxic mentality. There's plenty of "talent" left.

Yes, some well-known people left, including leadership. But we knew BioWare's leadership had been enormously flawed for a long while now, so a shakeup there could potentially end up being a blessing in disguise.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No. At this point their sullied reputation precedes them, regardless of how good the games turn out to be.

Edit: Which is not to say any criticism of the games will be unfair by default. But I think they could literally make the same games as ME2 and DAO, except everything bad about them that was forgiven then won't be now.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero faith in Bioware delivering good Western RPGs anymore like back in their glory days of the Baldur's Gate era though I would love to be proven wrong. Lucky lots of other very capable developers have been putting out great WRPGs the past few years. I'm so happy that Larian Studios is working on Baldur's Gate 3 and not Bioware for example, I have far more faith in Larian to put out a good BG3 than I do BIoware.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's pretty clear that EA rushed out Andromeda, Anthem, and Jedi Fallen Order before they were ready.

EA gave 5 years to BioWare Montreal to make Andromeda and 7 years to BioWare Edmonton ti make Anthem.

BIoWare is the one taking the blame here abd if you bothered to read Jason pieces on the matter you will know it's true.

Montreal did jackshit for 3 years and made Andromeda in 18months and we are blaming EA for their incompetence?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Can, absolutely. There's still a great many talented people there and it looks like a ton of original ME people have returned for the new game.

The real question is will they deliver. It's still unclear what has been done to rectify BioWare's crunch and management woes. As well as if they have a strong vision and idea of what they want these games to be.

Andromeda and Anthem's greatest faults were a lack of vision and direction. Both projects floundered for years in pre-production without a clear direction, wasting time and resources on rabbit holes and tech that never panned out. There's also the question of EA and if they are pushing, forcefully or not, for BioWare to make certain choices in how they design and develop their games. Whether that's the use of Frostbite where it doesn't make sense or things like wanting MTX, multiplayer focus or GaaS stuff that might not gel with their style of games.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I'm really enjoying SWTOR oddly enough. I'm glad they finally found their niche with that game, no other Star Wars game can offer what that game does. It's basically a SP with optional coop content.

I hope they turn ship around with Anthem 2.0, DA4 and ME5. I always liked their games, despite the hate they get here.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Of course they can. On all ends. They have incredibly skilled people over there. It's up to them and how they deliver their vision.

As much as Casey and Mark were important, they can be replaced. And Casey wasn't managing Mass Effect, he was managing the studio.
That's what I think.

I think the can produce 2 great games if they learn from the MEA and Anthem mistakes

I don't think they will ever appease the die hard fans of the games though as what they make won't be like those games.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Can, absolutely. There's still a great many talented people there and it looks like a ton of original ME people have returned for the new game.

The real question is will they deliver. It's still unclear what has been done to rectify BioWare's crunch and management woes. As well as if they have a strong vision and idea of what they want these games to be.

Andromeda and Anthem's greatest faults were a lack of vision and direction. Both projects floundered for years in pre-production without a clear direction, wasting time and resources on rabbit holes and tech that never panned out. There's also the question of EA and if they are pushing, forcefully or not, for BioWare to make certain choices in how they design and develop their games. Whether that's the use of Frostbite where it doesn't make sense or things like wanting MTX, multiplayer focus or GaaS stuff that might not gel with their style of games.

Totally agree with this

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
EA gave 5 years to BioWare Montreal to make Andromeda and 7 years to BioWare Edmonton ti make Anthem.

BIoWare is the one taking the blame here abd if you bothered to read Jason pieces on the matter you will know it's true.

Montreal did jackshit for 3 years and made Andromeda in 18months and we are blaming EA for their incompetence?

I'm with you, continually throwing the blame at EA when it's clearly Bioware's own issues is lazy and wrong

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've eaten enough crow on games and companies I've thought were beyond saving to count them out.

Hoping for the best, here.

Bring it on, Bioware. If it's good, I'll be screaming its praises from the rooftops.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sure. Why be cynical?

Thank you! I won't be jumping on the hype bandwagon and pre-ordering anything well in advance, but I'm cautiously excited about the possibilities and look forward to seeing where they take the two beloved franchises. Andromeda was deeply flawed, but I quite liked Inquisition. Game development is simply hard, so it'll all come down to the team dynamics and individuals who are passionate enough about these projects to work on them. Bring it on, BioWare! I'm certainly more intrigued by this than the dozen generic zombie-shooting games unveiled at TGA that I could hardly tell apart.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't see how they manage both of them at once. Unless EA is literally giving them unlimited time/resources to work on them, those games have to release sooner rather than later, and concurrent development on two huge games can't be easy. If Dragon Age ends up being a smaller experience in terms of length and world size(assuming its some flavor of open world) then maybe they can manage it. Sharing tech will probably help, but they need to kill it with both of these games and their track record over the last few years isn't inspiring.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
No, actually for me Bioware hasn't delivered after Dragon Age Origins. They fooled me twice with inquisition and andromeda, but I managed to skip anthem thanks to the abysmal demo.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I think they deserve a chance to redeem their reputation. This was a rough generation for them. So I'm cheering or them to succeed, not fail as some people do on here. Some people are so unrelentingly negative.

I think with a combination of some key people from the original trilogy as outlined in shinobi602 's post below, along with some new people for fresh perspective there is potential here.

So, yeah, I've been super hesitant to share my excitement about this before more was said (because I wasn't keen on getting attacked again lol), but since it's already out there, here are several reasons:

There is a lot of strong old school talent from the original trilogy working hard to do this, including who's directing, though it's not my place to say and speak for them.