• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Look, we all know he said he wouldn't get in the way of investigations. But if he's signaling this, it's a step removed from that. He needs to clarify his position, because the last thing that will heal this country is letting this administration get away with what it's done, and still doing.

If all else fails, there's still the state charges, but if Biden really goes down this path it sets a terrible tone for his presidency already.

Aug 6, 2020

WASHINGTON – Former Vice President Joe Biden said if he's president, he wouldn't interfere with the Justice Department if it pursued criminal charges against President Donald Trump after he left office. "I will not interfere with the Justice Department's judgment of whether or not they think they should pursue a prosecution of anyone that they think has violated the law, but I think it depends on what happens," Biden said.

Nov. 17, 2020

"But the most important thing on this is that he will not interfere with his Justice Department and not politicize his Justice Department."

Doesn't seem like his position has changed.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So Biden is going to pardon him for any wrongdoings.
Then a Republican controlled House impeaches Biden for obstructing justice by not allowing his justice department to prosecute Trump. That's the only ending for this dumb story.

The only message that should be coming out of Biden's camp is that his justice department will have full autonomy and he has no feelings on the matter. This is only signaling to his AG not to pursue charges against Trump. It's stupid.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao this first page is full of apologists. A lot of you call Trump a fascist and say things like "Mango Mussolini", but he shouldn't be prosecuted federally because???? Which is it? Is he an existential threat or not? Some of ya'll just really wanna go back to brunch.
He's literally saying he won't interfere with the DOJ. They would be the ones prosecuting federally.
I would rather Biden not spend his time talking about Trump. He should focus on fixing things. Let the prosecutors focus on prosecuting.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Biden shouldn't spend a single second of his presidency talking about Trump. Just get on with it and let the relevant authorities deal with Trump if they wish.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is a positive. Just like post-2008 crash, the country and world needs to look forward, not back. Clearly Biden believes in second chances, and I do too.

Nah fuck all that. Let the state rip Trump a part and fuck his second chance. If Biden interferes with the states going after Trump I swear to fucking god.

Intentionally provoctive framing on NBC's part:

I mean, Im fine with this.

Just keep that same energy when the States go after Trump. I dont want to see him trying to suffocate NY in the name of Unity. Id lose my shit.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
We're saying Biden doesn't make that call. Not directly. And that's how it's supposed to be, because the office of the Presidency is explicitly politicized, whereas the FBI and DOJ are (supposed to be) neutral.
But we already know that this IS political and that those institutions AREN'T and have NEVER been neutral. And by making this his public stance, he may very well be influencing the people who hear that stance.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, like it or not, Trump appeals to millions of people. It's better to make him old news than continue to focus the country's attention on him.
Making him old news is how we get to where we were with him in a few years.

I thought it was understood - even in other threads in this forum - that the Federal govt wasn't supposed to be doing anything explicitly, but instead NYS?

Why is there any controversy in not having the Federal govt go after Trump?
If Trump is suspected to have committed federal crimes, the DOJ should be going after him too, not let it go just because he shat in the White House for 4 years.

That's where Biden's appointments matter, and why this is worrying about who we'll get. The AG can't just say fuck it we're turning a blind eye because we should heal. They should do their job regardless.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People. Read the article, not just the headline.

He never mentions pardoning Trump. He never says there won't be investigations. Just that he isn't going to be the one to launch them. The DoJ should be autonomous and not the attack dog for a sitting president. It outright said that Biden won't interfere with them doing their job. State AGs, too. This is 100% the right approach.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm honestly extremely excited to see if the DOJ/State AGs go after him for crimes committed while President. I'm sure it'll all be stuff he's done before that, which there is numerous fodder for cases.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I think letting NY eat him alive while pretending it doesn't exist is his best option tbh.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Steven Miller's policies cruel and racist or were his actions due to his Ambien prescription? We will never know so it's better to forgive. /s

Trump ain't going down for rich people crimes because those are common among his class. Suspension of disbelief tells us he's the only wealthy tax cheat.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
As long as he leaves the Justice Dept to be independent and they go after him full force, I don't really care. President shouldn't have his thumb on the scale. While this points to him maybe not wanting his AG to make a show of it, it's not definitive enough for me to make that claim. Posturing to encourage transition is still on the table as well.

Plus expecting the inevitable self pardon from Trump to cause all kinds of constitutional crises, so NY and other states will have to do work anyway.

AGs at both levels need to get it right because the pendulum will eventually swing back and you have to expect the reload from the right will be much more competent in terms of camouflaged corruption. That and our attempt at democracy kinda hang in the balance.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Biden doesn't need to handle this, the AG and the state of NY can handle prosecuting Trump.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
As long as Trump is taken down by other authorities, I don't mind Biden working to fix America and deal with COVID, but we definitely need to see Trump face justice.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Biden's whole thing has been "unity". He's not calling anyone a deplorable or hating on Republicans. This is not surprising.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
He absolutely needs to investigate the federal employees that have abused their power specifically at dhs and doj, and also for those that have used their office for campaigning, this cannot be allowed to happen again.

simmins

Nov 7, 2017
I knew that this would happen. It happened once already when Pelosi came out and said that the democrats would not pursue GW Bush and his administration for the Iraq war and said that they just wanted to "Move On" and "Look forward not backward.". What makes this dangerous to me is that it leaves the window open to rehabilitate Trump just like Bush has been. It enables future candidates to look back with at Trump with reverence, as a President who was given a bad hand because of Covid, but was overall a good or great President. I look forward to a Republican candidate like Tom Cotton or Dan Crenshaw using Trump as a way to motivate voters in 4-8 years.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way we are putting a former POTUS in jail. Certainly not via federal action. It's just not the American way.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Probably best for the long-term. Biden isn't stupid and knows that political polarization will destroy the United States and jailing your predecessor is basically like becoming a dictator in American's eyes, no matter how terrible the things he did is. Of course Trump deserves it, but it's politically ineffective, further destabilizes the United States, and unnecessary for Biden to do himself because the states will do it for him. If it comes to the federal level from there, they can shut him down there. If it goes to the Supreme Court, though, that's where it gets interesting.

The executive branch targeting political opponents is an authoritarian tactic and should be left to the judicial branch. That's the government working in an ideal sense, not as the Trump Administration has perverted it to work.

There is no way we are putting a former POTUS in jail. Certainly not via federal action.
Yeah, I basically don't ever see it happening with the current Supreme Court.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pursuing Trump after the election keeps him in the news cycle and will suck the air out of whatever else is on the policy agenda. It will also energize Republicans in 2022 which is a rare year where Democrats have a good chance at winning contested seats.

I doubt Biden outright pardons him but vocally threatening him is something I see no upside to. Those of you in the thread hyperbolically calling others "apologists" or fascist sympathizers need to remember that undoing what Trump and the GOP has done is something that requires Dems to retain and grow power in the future. You can't do it without both chambers of Congress and Republicans have shown major resilience downballot - much to the surprise of Dem strategists.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Intentionally provocative framing on NBC's part:

This is the long and short of it, and should be added to the OP.

Biden is obviously distancing himself from this issue so as not to appear as though he's directly telling the DoJ what to do.

I think we can start getting upset at him if the DoJ turns around then and issues memos to state AGs advising them not to pursue criminal investigations or charges against Trump or his associates.

Frankly this is a no-win scenario for Biden, personally. If it's his own AG who goes after Trump, he'll be blamed for going after his political opponents. If the states go after him, he'll also be blamed for going after his political opponents. If he demands that nothing is done, he's basically signalling to the country and the world that when someone is elected President they are forever above the law and any crimes they may have committed prior or during their presidency are null and void, which is an extremely dangerous precedent to set, even beyond the potential of future presidents going after their predecessors.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Biden should in no way be directing agencies to target any particular individuals. Let the investigators do their work and take them where the evidence points them.

It would be catastrophically bad for Biden to be like, yeah, I'll be directing the AG/DOJ to go after my enemies. Dems aren't going to win the WH in perpetuity.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I knew that this would happen. It happened once already when Pelosi came out and said that the democrats would not pursue GW Bush and his administration for the Iraq war and said that they just wanted to "Move On" and "Look forward not backward.". What makes this dangerous to me is that it leaves the window open to rehabilitate Trump just like Bush has been. It enables future candidates to look back with at Trump with reverence, as a President who was given a bad hand because of Covid, but was overall a good or great President. I look forward to a Republican candidate like Tom Cotton or Dan Crenshaw using Trump as a way to motivate voters in 4-8 years.

Rehabilitate Trump? His image isn't even that bad among the voters... the man managed to get 73 million votes, more than anybody else in US history aside from Biden. He's far more popular than any of us ever realized

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. There's always the danger of another Trump around the corner, regardless of what happens to the one we have. Think about it, has any conviction in history have ever truly deterred other bad actors from committing similar crimes? You cannot eradicate corruption. The only way forward is to continue to educate the voter base.
No, actually it is true. For one, you can't educate magats as a democrat, all you can do is set a precedent that makes future Trumps hesitate to think they can get away with as much as he tries to.

When we are talking about something like this, A single incident with one President absolutely sets a precedent and shapes future political thinking. Whatever happens or doesnt happen to Trump will be cited in courts and political strategy for decades to come. Its not a perfect cure to demagoguery, but nothing has to be until someone disagrees with it.

I'm not saying they have to do a witch hunt. They just need to pursue Trump for his crimes the same way they pursue anyone guilty of the same crimes. Not give him a special pass others don't enjoy after he tries to destroy our democracy.

Oct 25, 2017
After the results of this election this is not on the table. It sucks, it reinforces the idea that we just let criminals get away with it, but it's not on the table.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man threads like these are disheartening. People really need to approach the news more critically and develop a fuller understanding of what they read, or at least read it at all.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
An independent DOJ will investigate as they see fit. And Congress is responsible for crafting legislation that could protect the country from the likes of Trump in the future. Not to mention all of the State-level investigations. Biden will have his work cut out for him regardless and the focus of his office really probably should be elsewhere.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh it's probably best to let NY do their thing.

He definitely shouldn't actively block his justice department from pursuing things either but yeah it's the right call to not be seen as actively trying to prosecute Trump.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with this if Biden spends his term actually pushing for policies and signing executive orders that improve the lives of average Americans. He'd better not spend four years in office just getting us "back to normal" or whatever.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This is probably the best move. Leaving Trump behind to rot and just ignoring his bullshit would absolutely be a better attitude than Trump's thin-skinned lashing out towards anything critical of him. Plus it would put the focus on the current administration and not let him gain power - his constant takedowns of the Obama admin is what led him to become a GOP megastar and got him elected in the first place. Let New York deal with him.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is the right call. Seeing a president pursue a former president like this is generally not a good look.

Let DoJ do their thing, let SDNY do their thing, let the House & Senate do their thing (or just the House since the Senate might be under Republican control).

Now if Biden pardons Trump, then we're gonna have some serious problems.