• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
There's 'showing sympathy' and then there's just bloodlust. You have people hoping whoever leaked this gets sued to oblivion, jailed and probably even worse. But yeah, 'sympathy' lol.

They most likely broke a legally binding contract and an NDA by leaking by leaking sensitive information on a AAA big budget product. The fuck do you think is gonna happen to them? A stern warning? Lmfao.

The dude who leaked the Half-life 2 source code before its release got sent to jail. It's not "bloodlust" it's reality.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
You do realise they didn't leak state secrets right

Worse. A video game

There are massive legal ramifications to what the person did on top of just generally being an incredibly shitty thing to do. I don't believe in jail time for non violent offenses (and in this specific case would be completely ridiculous) personally but it seems pretty obvious they're going to have to pay. A lot.

That may be true, but there's a difference between just pointing out that possiblity and actively wishing and lusting for some kind of vengeance.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Well, after watching all leaks my hype has only grown.
The game looks spectacular!

Can't wait to play it!

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
They most likely broke a legally binding contract and an NDA by leaking by leaking sensitive information on a AAA big budget product. The fuck do you think is gonna happen to them? A stern warning? Lmfao.

The dude who leaked the Half-life 2 source code before its release got sent to jail. It's not "bloodlust" it's reality.

When you have people actively hoping this person is sued and jailed, 'put the spotlight' on them, etc., it's bloodlust

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is shit, to work so hard on the game, only to have one asshole ruin it. Hope they find the guy and end his career in the industry.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
There was ways to call out ND without trying to fuck over the product they worked hard on.
This company (and plenty of others) has been "called out" repeatedly, and ignored it. Have you not read any gaming news this decade? One story of abuse and exploitation after another. This leak will do more to protect workers from game company abuse and exploitation than literally anything else that's ever happened in the industry.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they can say it will be worth it, but there are alot of very upset fans out there. I have a feeling their sales expectations just took a nosedive.

The social media bubble is not real life. Whether its politics, video games, whatever.

This game is going to sell massively regardless if some folks (including some people in this thread) want it to or not.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also I get that it sucks for the other workers at ND, but I am having a hard time having sympathy for the company itself given its behind the scenes issues.

To be honest I'm actually surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often given how terrible people in the industry are treated at times.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I must have missed the initial thread but "who" leaked it. Im seeing gamedev, 4 chan, and others. Im also seeing the disgruntled employee but not the reason overwork?

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wow people are trying to make the leaker into an anti-crunch martyr???

That's absolutely wild
Which is currently just a rumor and I highly doubt it.

Someone was uploading youtube videos named COVID like 2-3 weeks ago, probably the same person. I think it is just what happens when transitioning to a WFH environment during a pandemic, someone might have gotten something from someone or an accidental file transfer or a roomate sharing with someone else ect. ect.

Also knowing ND, it is definitely not a money dispute, they have been compensating their employees (and even those not working there) very well during this.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This company (and plenty of others) has been "called out" repeatedly, and ignored it. Have you not read any gaming news this decade? One story of abuse and exploitation after another. This leak will do more to protect workers from game company abuse and exploitation than literally anything else that's ever happened in the industry.
I kind of doubt that the conclusion will be "lets treat our employees better and hope it doesn't happen again".

More likely they'll go more extreme with security

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
That's really bad, especially since there's two more months of waiting, so the risk of more is going to be constant.
Leaks usually occur days before a launch or announcement.

But it will affect sales only slightly, I think. This guy will be caught, I'm sure.
He's not going to jail, sure, but I'm sure in his contract there is penalties and sure as hell he needs to go through them.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I just never get these things. It's not like major leaks on movies or games is new. I just don't see the appeal in doing it as an individual. Makes me think these people are just massive assholes or trolls.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Someone in the spoiler thread posted a Reddit DM they randomly received with spoilers in it.

This whole thing is an insane mess

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't looked at the spoilers yet. Probably won't until the game is out. But it's sad that these things happen

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Sure but it's not just about spoilers. It's leaking a game that multiple people worked hard on and runining it for millions of people.

There was ways to call out ND without trying to fuck over the product they worked hard on.
I mean, I'm sure the people in the terrible working conditions with little pay (or none as it would appear) are real hurt about the millions of people being spoiled

You know what? They probably were conflicted about it and probably are sad to have done it.

But fuck Naughty Dog for crunching.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Which is currently just a rumor and I highly doubt it.

Someone was uploading youtube videos named COVID like 2-3 weeks ago, probably the same person. I think it is just what happens when transitioning to a WFH environment during a pandemic, someone might have gotten something from someone or an accidental file transfer or a roomate sharing with someone else ect. ect.

Also knowing ND, it is definitely not a money dispute, they have been compensating their employees (and even those not working there) very well during this.
That it's a rumor at all also makes me wonder if it's really martyr thing. After all if you do it as protest the whole point would be to get your message across, not have people guessing.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Also I get that it sucks for the other workers at ND, but I am having a hard time having sympathy for the company itself given its behind the scenes issues.

To be honest I'm actually surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often given how terrible people in the industry are treated at times.
Maybe it means the situation at ND is particular catastrophic compared to other companies

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Even if ND has the worst place to work on earth, no one should leak the game like that. That person just destroyed all ND employees and people who wanted to experience the game too.
I think defending that leaker isn't much different than defending crunch...

Well that is certainly one of hell of a take. Jesus Christ.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I just never get these things. It's not like major leaks on movies or games is new. I just don't see the appeal in doing it as an individual. Makes me think these people are just massive assholes or trolls.

Need of attention is a thing in all human beings, some people satisfy that by doing bad things.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
I don't understand the trend of folks reading or watching out of context ending spoilers of something and deciding "wow this game is fucking trash, they ruined it". The same thing happened with FF7.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous shit. You don't force everyone to suffer because you are. This idea you're free to break the law because your company is being shitty is ridiculous and is not going to end well for this leaker or anyone who does this stuff. People leak things all the time and are PUNISHED for it.

ND is a company but I'm not concerned about the top being affected by this. I'm angry that people who worked on this game for years are being punished(who have NOTHING to do with pay) and fans are now also fucked because people are shitty and think leaking this to anyone who will listen is fair.

The thing is leaks don't usually bother me and I've already engaged with plenty of other game leaks and I've been spoiled on this. The problem is ND games are story heavy and people love to ruin this for everyone else. Now that the spoilers are out it's being spread everywhere so that trolls get their way and ruin peoples day.

I mean, I'm sure the people in the terrible working conditions with little pay (or none as it would appear) are real hurt about the millions of people being spoiled

You know what? They probably were conflicted about it and probably are sad to have done it.

But fuck Naughty Dog for crunching.
ND is shit for crunching and the gaming industry should be hitting these issues more often. I still don't think everyone should get thrown under the bus because ND decided to be assholes. This isn't going to change anything about crunch because plenty of games have been leaked before.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
My friend has been crying about this, it's a realll shit feeling when something you been killing yourself over gets sent out and ruined for people early.

People are so selfish and fucked. But its the process of moving from a creative medium, to releasing it to the public. Always feels like giving your child away.

Too bad the internet can fucking suck. But its good a lot of people are avoiding and protecting from it.

That breaks my heart 💔.

I know this won't change anything but if you can, tell your friend that even with the leaks there are plenty of people who are still excited to play the game they've been working on. And will absolutely appreciate all the work they and everyone else at Naughty Dog have put into the game 🙏.

Oh and also fuck everyone in this thread that's defending the leaker.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yes a leak "DESTROYED" all ND employees for sure.

Some of you are really reaching.
You work on a game for years. To see people enjoy it when the game is officially released as they progress through the story and experience it first hand. Only to see heavy spoiler leaks get released online.

it's not something many would be happy about

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yes a leak "DESTROYED" all ND employees for sure.

Some of you are really reaching.

As always, context is king, and what you're doing, acting like some people aren't really upset because of their hard work being spewed out into the ether without any context, is misleading. Yes some ND people are upset about this. There is nothing reaching about that.

Oct 26, 2017
As always, context is king, and what you're doing, acting like some people aren't really upset because of their hard work being spewed out into the ether without any context, is misleading. Yes some ND people are upset about this. There is nothing reaching about that.

I literally wrote this

There is a middle ground between being disappointed and destroyed by a leak.

Regardless of it, the leak happened and you can't do much now.

Yes, being disappointed and sad is perfectly valid, but talking about being DESTROYED is an exaggeration