• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they nearly shutdown and have major cutbacks back in 2020? I also recall reading that Nintendo swiped many of the people responsible for NSLT.
I know Playful had layoffs (crushing as the Switch version NEEDED a patch but those layoffs seemingly prevented that from being fixed...), but never heard that Nintendo grabbed them. Did they go to Retro? They're in Austin as well, right?

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I'd be happy with Nuts & Bolts 2, I really enjoyed the first one, it was fun, original and so inventive... at least I hope they make some homage.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I think at this point it would make more sense to put a team on remaking Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, with full next gen visuals and if that pans out and sells well, maybe that team can make an actual Banjo-Threeie. Feels like that would be the best course of action at this point.
No, the best course of action would be a sequel. The Banjos have been remastered on Xbox 360, are included in Rare Replay and support 4k on Xbox Series. Since Kazooie in particular is a perfect game already, just adding better graphics after >20 years of waiting for a sequel would be mean.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
No, the best course of action would be a sequel. The Banjos have been remastered on Xbox 360, are included in Rare Replay and support 4k on Xbox Series. Since Kazooie in particular is a perfect game already, just adding better graphics after >20 years of waiting for a sequel would be mean.

To be honest, I'm not sure I trust Microsoft's handling of a third game. It really depends on the team they put together for this game. They might have better luck, putting together a team that can practice with a remake of the first two games and then move onto an original sequel game. A new third game that was a bigger game, awesome graphics and continued where Banjo-Tooie left off would absolutely be awesome though. Just not sure Microsoft can handle that. I don't know. We'll see I guess.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
As a great Banjo fan, I think this are great news, but I'm a bit skeptical as I don't think anyone will be able to do a proper threeie outside of Playtonic, and they would only work in their own IPs. Of course I will be there day one, but I suspect it will be something in the veins of the new perfect dark, just the characters and names.

For now I just want Tooie on switch, I'm happy with that.
Someone else was trying to claim this in the other thread, where is it coming from? They literally put out a statement in 2019 saying the exact opposite when rumors got out of hand they were making a new Banjo game after hiring an old Banjo artist. They said they'd love to make a new Banjo but it's not up to them (obviously since MS owns the IP) so instead they're working on their own stuff.

Have they said something more recently about not wanting to ever work with the Banjo IP again? Cause based on what they said in 2019 it sounded like they'd be more than happy if MS offered.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Can someone link the newest episode of his podcast? Confused as to why that's not in the OP.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Your first post was implying that he is unreliable because anyone can make these claims. Of course, anyone can make any claim about Nintendo's plans in June, but there really is little reason to doubt Nate when it comes to this sort of thing.
I mean, he's a coattail-riding grifter and most of his intel is just parroting other sources. I would not specifically trust what he has to say on Banjo just because a Direct may be scheduled between June 16-30.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
To be honest, I'm not sure I trust Microsoft's handling of a third game. It really depends on the team they put together for this game. They might have better luck, putting together a team that can practice with a remake of the first two games and then move onto an original sequel game. A new third game that was a bigger game, awesome graphics and continued where Banjo-Tooie left off would absolutely be awesome though. Just not sure Microsoft can handle that. I don't know. We'll see I guess.
A team that can faithfully recreate Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't necessarily have learned anything substantial about how to make good Banjo levels. I am not a fan of such "test runs" and I also just do not see much that would be improved in a remake other than visuals - which are already very clean on Xbox anyway. I want something new to play, not something nicer to look at. I would prefer a Banjo-Threeie with N64 visuals over an AAA level Banjo-Kazooie remake to be honest.

this game is gonna be spicier than I thought
What did you think?
banjotooie.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
While I'd be happy with anything Banjo-Kazooie at this point, I really hope it's not a remake like many are asking for. BK is already remastered and playable on Xbox. I want BK 3. But yeah, I'll take whatever they give us at this point.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
User warned: Port begging

If Xbox, Cloud and PC isnt a large enough audience for an IP it doesn't deserve to continue.

Every Microsoft game these days is on Xbox and PC.

Yeah, this is true. But when it comes to 3D platformers the best scenario to sell is being on Switch (especially when the game is Banjo, which is much more appreciated by Nintendo fans than Xbox ones). I would totally say the the same thing if an FPS would release exclusively on Switch and PC, it would be great to have and Xbox version, for example.

Xbox doesnt need switch sales to make their games succesful buddy :)

You're right. But when it comes to banjo kazzoie, I do think it needs, buddy. Just look how successful the franchise is right now, there is nothing. The only thing you can say about it in the last years is: Banjo on Smash and banjo on NSO.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is true. But when it comes to 3D platformers the best scenario to sell is being on Switch (especially when the game is Banjo, which is much more appreciated by Nintendo fans than Xbox ones). I would totally say the the same thing if an FPS would release exclusively on Switch and PC, it would be great to have and Xbox version, for example.

You're right. But when it comes to banjo kazzoie, I do think it needs, buddy. Just look how successful the franchise is right now, there is nothing. The only thing you can say about it in the last years is: Banjo on Smash and banjo on NSO.
Can we wait for the game to actually be revealed before we start the port begging?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm just remembering how I felt when, a few years after the X06 teaser (what made me Jump In), the first screenshots of Nuts & Bolts released without it being explicitly clear what genre of game it was. The anticipation and then the drop blew my N64-kid-mind. But I remember reaching out to a Rare community manager on the eve of the gameplay screenshot reveal, gassing them up in the DMs about bringing back traditional 3D platformers. They must've been biting their tongue!

Y'all remember at E3 or some showcase where there was a rumor that N&B was going to launch with a 360 motion controller (Kinect didn't exist yet) because Ken Lobb's wording during a demo?

I was puzzled and stunned when we got a better picture of what N&B was, but I wasn't quick to pass on it. $40 launch price, early access remaster XBLA preorder bonus. And then I ended up liking N&B well enough, meeting it on its terms! The HUB world sure was gorgeous. I'm not a very creative player still, but it was nice to expand my horizons a bit.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Not even need to be a huge collectathon, too... Mario Odyssey was superb and not much to collect per say (well, maybe too many moons, but at least it was one specific object). However, keeping the skills to be unlocked and having to return to old levels to unlock new places would be awesome, I miss that.

But don't go in the DK64 route, please...

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with a switch port I just hope it doesn't hold back the scale of worlds and the technical aspect.
4k 60 fps on xbsx please and put whatever you can run on switch.