• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Please FFS SE..don't announce it to early. Take as much time as you want to get it right but wait until you are no longer then a year away to annouce it.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hope it's XVI.
Yoshi knows not to waste time and spend a fucking year getting the hair on a character to look perfect like a certain someone. He'll focus on the things that actually matter.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
You didn't like Heavenward?!?!?! o_O
It was... Fine?

It's been years at this point (i played Heavensward upon release), and i remember liking some of the political machinations, but

i didn't care for the shiva/dragon love story.The Pope final boss was "fine," but in the absence of more interesting ideas, was standard jrpg stuff. I'm not a fan of when JRPGs "kill off" characters only to bring them back later in order to create tension.

Part of the problem might be that the world doesn't do much for me.

I played xi up to promathia after, and found it more engaging and satisfying, though at times bewildering when it came to gameplay.

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno man. SE makes a lot of mistakes but sometimes they stumble upon a good decision or two (i.e funding another NieR). I don't even think this is all that implausible given Yoshida's track record, SE probably has a lot of trust in him.
I really hope so... he did miracles with FFXIV and turned it to one of the best FF games and MMORPG out there.

If it's true then I except a reveal at E3 2020 with a release date sometime in late 2022.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Grats yoship
No wonder stormblood was worse than heavensward, all of the key members were secretly moved to this project

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically what duckroll predicted was going to happen based on team changes after Heavensward. But the one thing that there was no evidence for, is still no evidence for, and is 100% conjecture, is whether this is a Final Fantasy game. It could literally be anything.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well it started full development like two days ago at this point so sure.

Still love Square announcing KH3 when they were 0% done with development.
They had been working on KHIII for 9+ months by the time it was announced. Its (pre-)production started pretty soon after Dream Drop Distance was released in mid 2012. By Fall 2012 Nomura said Osaka team was already working on their next project and that it would be a big one. Clearly talking about KHIII, especially when combined with the notion that Nomura gave Osaka Team the "official" mantle of becoming THE KH Team around the same time.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
My guess is that it's XVI, but it's not YoshiP directing. He's a studio head and one of the highest ranking developers in the company. Everything made by his studio gets his name on it as producer or executive producer. I still think there's a lot of validity to the theory that the leads who left XIV after Heavensward content have been working on XVI since around 2015/2016. Hiroshi Takai directing is a pretty good possibility. He's a director who has been steadily working with SE for over 20 years, but has had no projects announced since he left XIV 3 years ago.

Thank Hydaelyn that Kitase, Nomura, and Nojima are all busy on FF7R.
i didn't care for the shiva/dragon love story.The Pope final boss was "fine," but in the absence of more interesting ideas, was standard jrpg stuff. I'm not a fan of when JRPGs "kill off" characters only to bring them back later in order to create tension.
Who are you talking about here? The major deaths I remember in Heavensward were Haurchsenfant, Ysayle, and Papalymo, all of whom are permanently dead.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have something new than FF16
The Luminous team/company is providing SQEX with a new IP for next gen.

Besides, considering how different Final Fantasies are from game to game (especially nowadays), why does it matter? It'll basically be as different as a new IP anyway, outside of including some likely staples of the franchise like Chocobos and Cid. FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV could be from completely different franchises with how different they look & play. With how open SQEX is for experimentation with FF, the brand is more of a good thing than bad, imho. It means they'll give it their all vs. some half-assed attempts at new IPs they aren't confident enough to give a proper budget & put all their weight behind.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
People saying 16 when it could just as easily be the mmo successor 17. Considering how long it takes to build one, it could easily be a 2023 mid cycle next gen game.

SE would have to be insane to not have had some sort of preproduction on 16 going on before 15 shipped in 2016, knowing how slow their production cycle is. If 16 isn't somewhere past 25% development for an early next gen game, then shame on them.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The Luminous team/company is providing SQEX with a new IP for next gen.

Besides, considering how different Final Fantasies are from game to game (especially nowadays), why does it matter? It'll basically be as different as a new IP anyway, outside of including some likely staples of the franchise like Chocobos and Cid. FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV could be from completely different franchises with how different they look & play. With how open SQEX is for experimentation with FF, the brand is more of a good thing than bad, imho. It means they'll give it their all vs. some half-assed attempts at new IPs they aren't confident enough to give a proper budget & put all their weight behind.

Well true I agree, I just wanted to see them try out something new that's all.. something out of the box per say.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather seem him work on XVII, and build up an MMO free from the constrains of reusing old assets and designing a new battle system.

But I'll take single player XVI from him as well if the HW writers really are on this project.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It was... Fine?

It's been years at this point (i played Heavensward upon release), and i remember liking some of the political machinations, but

Part of the problem might be that the world doesn't do much for me.

I played xi up to promathia after, and found it more engaging and satisfying, though at times bewildering when it came to gameplay.
The ending of Heavensward isn't the base expansion itself though. The pope isn't the final boss. The expansion story ends in the 3.3 patch content with the conclusion of the Dragonsong War and the entire narrative bookend going full circle with the completion of the book.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
People saying 16 when it could just as easily be the mmo successor 17. Considering how long it takes to build one, it could easily be a 2023 mid cycle next gen game.

SE would have to be insane to not have had some sort of preproduction on 16 going on before 15 shipped in 2016, knowing how slow their production cycle is. If 16 isn't somewhere past 25% development for an early next gen game, then shame on them.
Presumably, they started putting the team together for this project around 2015 or somewhere along those lines. So it has been in some form of pre-production for quite some time already.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Heh about time he moved on from FFXIV, am guessing after the expansion he will slowly withdraw from XIV. To me this guy seems to be on good relationship with the higher ups at SE so the chances that this project turn out to be FF16 is huge actually.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well true I agree, I just wanted to see them try out something new that's all.. something out of the box per say.
Well, again, the Luminous team is presumably putting together something completely new and SQEX is also publishing a completely new IP from Platinum and that one from the Tales series producer or somesuch's new studio, as well as smaller projects like Tokyo RPG Factory's project(s). They aren't pushing just FF into the market in the foreseeable future, but are trying to diversify between household names and new stuff.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmm has he done anything but MMO stuff?

Why should we trust this guy with a mainline FF?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Because he can manage a huge project with a strong vision. But mainly because his games have great storytelling which given actual production values of a FF SP game would be what fans have a been dreaming of. Imagine something with the budget of 15 that actually makes sense.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018

He salvaged an MMO from basically unplayable in a broken engine to the 2nd most played MMO right now and the best Final Fantasy game since 9. The FF14 team has CRAZY talent, their storytellers and game designers are some of the best the Final Fantasy series has ever seen. Yoshida knows how to run a team and he does it better than anyone in Square Enix

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
He understand FF very well and more in-touch with the current market than guys like Nomura or Kitase
I disagree. Kitase and Nomura are both very talented people. Nomura just shipped a very well received sequel to a classic S-E franchise this year. No need to disrespect and put down other creative dudes to prop someone up. Yoshida himself would surely be saddened by fans using his name to badmouth his colleagues.

Nomura is designing the bosses in the upcoming Shadowbringers post-release raid series. So if he didn't understand FF why would Yoshida invite him to be a guest designer on his FF game? Come on! Love, not war.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Heh about time he moved on from FFXIV, am guessing after the expansion he will slowly withdraw from XIV. To me this guy seems to be on good relationship with the higher ups at SE so the chances that this project turn out to be FF16 is huge actually.
Yoshida isn't moving on from FFXIV for at least another expansion or two. He's not directing this.

Why not? His is the FF that has gotten the most positive overall reception in the last decade or more and it's not like modern open world game design goes fully against MMO design sensibilities. FFXIV even takes some influence from previous offline FFs in how it plays & is structured (mainly FFXII).

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
While this won't be a new MMO I bet it will have an online component like Co-op or something. Anyway looking forward to what Yoshi P comes out with, he really turned FFXIV around so being given a blank slate should be interesting for sure.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Heavensward shipped in mid-2015, so....

It lines up, but why not both?

Surely Yoshida's department are working on some sort of successor to 14? Profit wise, I just have to imagine SE sees that as more of a priority, especially since Sub based mmos will be even more of a relic and hard to sell/justify in 4 years and I just can't see 14 making it healthily that long.

Is there really no other producer/designer/writer combos across the business divisions that have been awol since 2015 that we can make the same wishful guess is leading 16?

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a mainline Singleplayer Final Fantasy by him, but if it just entered full production i hope that it isn't XVI, since i really hope that this already a lot further into development. So i hope this is XVII.

I mean all the other teams at Squeenix also have to do something right? So give me Final Fantasy XVI from Ito in 2020, and then this in 2022/2023.

They said so often they want to release titles more frequently, so really hope they finally start to do so.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Surely Yoshida's department are working on some sort of successor to 14? Sub based mmos will be long in the tooth in 4 years and I just can't see 14 making it that long.

Is there really no other producer/designer/writer combos across the business divisions that have been awol since 2015 that we can make the same wishful guess is leading 16?
Assuming they still do at least 2 expansions, that's 4 more years for FFXIV to be in the spotlight (as far as FF MMOs go) and they can push that to 5-6+ years with heavy post-expansion support to (mostly) finish FFXIV's story for good. They could start the next FF MMO's production a couple of years from now and still have plenty of time to get that out before FFXIV is out of steam.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So BD5 is now BD3.I remember that they said something about changing the BD so I wonder if it just changed the name or if they merged with another division.

My guess is that they're named BD3 now because BD3 became Luminous Production.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a mainline Singleplayer Final Fantasy by him, but if it just entered full production i hope that it isn't XVI, since i really hope that this already a lot further into development. So i hope this is XVII.

I mean all the other teams at Squeenix also have to do something right? So give me Final Fantasy XVI from Ito in 2020, and then this in 2022/2023.

They said so often they want to release titles more frequently, so really hope they finally start to do so.
FFVII Remake is pretty much taking the dev team & release slot(s) of one mainline level FF.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
My guess is that it's XVI, but it's not YoshiP directing. He's a studio head and one of the highest ranking developers in the company. Everything made by his studio gets his name on it as producer or executive producer. I still think there's a lot of validity to the theory that the leads who left XIV after Heavensward content have been working on XVI since around 2015/2016. Hiroshi Takai directing is a pretty good possibility. He's a director who has been steadily working with SE for over 20 years, but has had no projects announced since he left XIV 3 years ago.

This is a smart take. Takai also directed a very forward-looking, experimental RPG with a sizable budget last generation in The Last Remnant. That game wasn't amazingly received but garnered a cult following and has exactly the sort of attitude SE seem to look for in projects from would-be directors of their biggest games. It was also a game with an adventure, open-ended sort of feel to it - which I think any modern FF will embrace as FF15 did. He makes a lot of sense.

Of course, SE is big on the 'co-director' thing lately too - though that's only so far been with Nomura on FF7 and KH3, probably to stop him from getting bogged down in and distracted by details. But a co-director credit might also make sense - Yoshida is loved, and from a marketing and messaging perspective suggesting he is as close to the project as possible might be desirable, so maybe he could be co-director and producer.

I think it's also pretty safe to imagine this is FF16, given that the current staff layout seems to suggest there's nobody else left who could do 16, 'cos so many of the traditional FF people are tied up on 7 and we know that what remains of the FF15 crew is working on a new IP.

I think the real question is if, this being a MMO studio, this will have some online/multiplayer element. I could honestly see a FF16 trying to bridge the gap between the 14 and 15 - a game that can be experienced as a offline single-player RPG that also takes cues from things like Destiny and Monster Hunter to offer co-op experiences. While obviously Luminous is now off doing its own thing, one can't help but imagine this team has also been watching Comrades closely. I could easily see this being the first (non-MMO) FF with a player-created protagonist that you can then also take online.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
YoshiP is one of the higher ups. He sits on the board of directors. He's literally one of the highest ranking employees in the company. Only people above him are Matsuda and Hashimoto, the CEO and General Manager.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Surely Yoshida's department are working on some sort of successor to 14? Profit wise, I just have to imagine SE sees that as more of a priority, especially since Sub based mmos will be even more of a relic and hard to sell/justify in 4 years and I just can't see 14 making it healthily that long.

I think in general MMOs as we know them from WoW and before are on the way out. FFXIV is definitely one of the last of its kind, so I don't see S-E really planning a next big MMO in this style even today. If they are smart they'll be looking at where service games are headed and plan in that direction.

As far as manpower goes, S-E is really strained in Japan. From FF13 onwards they went all in on putting many eggs in less baskets. FF13, FF14, FF15, KH3. There isn't much room left for there to be a talented team that wasn't working on anything else for a while.

Of course, SE is big on the 'co-director' thing lately too - though that's only so far been with Nomura on FF7 and KH3, probably to stop him from getting bogged down in and distracted by details. But a co-director credit might also make sense - Yoshida is loved, and from a marketing and messaging perspective suggesting he is as close to the project as possible might be desirable, so maybe he could be co-director and producer.
One thing to look at in this ad is that Yoshida's title in the announcement is studio head, rather than producer or director. While on the FFXIV recruitment pages, his title is Producer and Director. This clearly sets the tone that one should not expect to be working directly under YoshiP if you apply and get a job on this project, but rather only expect that you will be working in this studio. So while anything is possible, it's definitely leaning on him not directing the game imo.