• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you try and frantically skip a cutscene?

• I jam that A/X button

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • I press start/menu like a true gamer

Votes: 77 28.4%
  • I hold down the B/O button because I've been indoctrinated by last gen interface changes

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • I run my fingers across the control pressing all the buttons I can, maybe the triggers might skip it

Votes: 125 46.1%
  • I give up and walk away from the TV, hopefully returning to actual gameplay

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
May 19, 2020
I've worked on games where the animators and the creative director have fought against allowing people to skip cut scenes because they worked so hard on them.

This happens a lot.
i could understand if it's like main plot stuff but if it's like open world side mission busy work there's not really a good reason why i can't skip the scenes where some random NPC thanks me and gives me money

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Every cutscene should be skippable. No exceptions.

The reason why there are some unskippable cutscenes is because some of them are used as hidden load times.
This is often a lie, and many times I would rather look at a static loading screen anyway.
Rockstar are the worst offender I've seen for this:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ummm, I think I hardly come across boring unskippable cutscenes. Can't say I get annoyed that much by this if it happens.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of modern games do the cutscenes right (press "start", then press X to skip) like Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear etc.. I despised it back in the day when you could accidentally skip by briefly nudging the wrong button.

I very rarely feel the need to skip cutscenes these days, only when I'm replaying content I've already seen. Tho that Forza one would be a contender.
I agree here. Start > Skip is the way to go. Allows long cutscenes to be paused, and they can be skipped if you've seen them before / they aren't interesting.

I know those responsible for cutscenes want players to watch them, but unskippable cutscenes isn't the way. That's just annoying. If your game's story is good enough, I'll watch the cutscenes.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked on games where the animators and the creative director have fought against allowing people to skip cut scenes because they worked so hard on them.

This happens a lot.
Yep, I always thought it was an Ego problem, so it will likely never be solved. Some people just can't stand that you skip what they ve done

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I remember during the PS2/GCN era and maybe some games during the PS360 era where it was so hit or miss if hitting Start would do nothing, skip the cutscene with no way to pause it, or pause it with no way of skipping it. Felt like a gamble not knowing with a new game if it would pause or skip the scene, so I'd always have to try near the end of the scene.

Nowadays, doing the pause & select "skip" is the perfect solution, though it's still annoying when they decide random scenes can't be skipped. I also don't mind "hold # to skip" as to not accidentally do it.

& add me to the list of "I don't mind unskippable scenes if it's my first time seeing it but please let me skip them if I'm doing NG+ or died and have to start over". There is nothing more pace breaking then wanting another shot at something only to have to wait for something you have no control over.

May 19, 2020
Yep, I always thought it was an Ego problem, so it will likely never be solved. Some people just can't stand that you skip what they ve done
they should just do what movie industry people do and count their money instead of worrying about someone potentially fast forwarding through a movie. i wonder if they get upset that i don't watch the credits either lol

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I hate unskippable cutscenes with a passion. It's why modern pokemon games are such a pain in the ass to replay. Each new Pokemon intro gets longer and longer.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'm ambivalent about skippable cutscenes the first time you watch them, since i'll always watch them, but if you're the type of person that doesn't then that's fine too. the real sin here is games that put the boss checkpoint BEFORE the cutscene. If and when I die during a boss fight, just let me start over from right there; don't make me run back down a corridor killing trash. mobs for five minutes and then trigger a cutscene (skippable or not) before I can get back in for my next attempt. and honestly, if the cutscene is being used to mask loading, i'd rather just have a loading screen instead of being forced to half pay attention to the dialogue on screen for the fifth time.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Nah, to be real fuck this noise right here.

I don't give a shit about stories in games like Monster Hunter. I just want to kill the thing and make gear out of it.
Monster Hunter has like 4 unskippable cutscenes and then a credits that are also unskippable at the end lol. That game pissed me off so much when I couldn't skip it's useless narrative cutscenes.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Final Fantasy X HD not having skippable cutscenes was atrocious. Especially the long ass ones like before Yunalesca, uuurghhh.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter has like 4 unskippable cutscenes and then a credits that are also unskippable at the end lol. That game pissed me off so much when I couldn't skip it's useless narrative cutscenes.

A lot more than 4. Just about every main story mission has either an unskippable cutscene, a forced walk and talk sequence, or both. The games before World weren't like that. It drove me nuts playing that shit.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind unskippable cutscenes if it is the first time you are viewing the scene.

however, the worst are long unskippable scenes right before incredibly hard bosses. (Miang disc 2 fight Xenogears is one of the absolute worst)

truly the worst

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I skip cutscenes whenever I can in 90% of games. That said I'm usually listening to a podcast or something anyways so unskippable cutscenes aren't that big a deal.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Max Payne 3 the absolute worst for this, especially as it is otherwise such an obvious candidate for replays.

Currently replaying God of War on PS5, which is amazing, but the challenge of story elements when they're not "cut scenes" as such is interesting in the context of this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always hated the "hidden loading excuse". Loading gets faster with better hardware, unskippable cutscenes will always be the same length. Give me a loading screen any day.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I felt that during a NG+ of Miles Morales. Half the cutscenes were skippable, half weren't, and it was frustrating.

Sly

May 11, 2018
Fiiting topic because yesterday I started the NG+ playthrough of Miles Morales and there are so many unskippable cutscenes. Some can be skipped, some can't for no good reason at all. It's annoying, especially because i've just seen them all in the past 2 weeks. I just wanna play the game and get plat.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I can skip a cutscene when fighting a boss I died against, then we gucci. Never felt the need otherwise.

And even then, not being able to skip cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts 1 made Riley's final fight iconic.

"Kairi's... inside of me?"

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
m3w00esjxib41.png

Yeah this is me, and if those don't work I mute the volume and play my guitar.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think this is irrational at all.
They should be able to be paused, in case you need to stop and deal with something else.
They should be able to be skipped, especially if you've played it before but also if you just don't care and find it dull as dishwater, just like lore and item descriptions etc. This counts for most cut scenes that are over a couple of minutes long for me.
They should also be replayable from a menu within the game, especially if they contain important info or context you need to remember for later decisions, or they should at least have a journal with a brief recap. Sometimes I come back to games months later.

At least games seem to have largely moved past the 'random pass-or-die QTE inserted into long scene to make sure you are still awake'. That crap was awful.

Last edited:

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a firm believer in watching once the first time, but able to skip every other time moving forward.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Usually I have no problem with unskipping cutscenes. I got much more hatred towards cutscenes which can't be paused. Not as prevalent anymore but that makes it worse imo xD

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The only thing worse than an unskippable cutscene is a "mission" designed around following someone and talking.. which should have been designed as a cutscene (a skippable one.)

Sony is one of the greatest devs on the planet and IMO one of the worst because of the prevalence of this stuff in their games. It's so common it feels like the devs are being told to do it... who are these people who enjoy it when in your open world game with tons of skills and weapons and a world to explore you can do nothing but walk slowly for 10 minutes following someone?

Spiderman Remastered absolutely kills me.. you design the PS5 partly around eliminating load times.. the game is clearly capable of loading anywhere any time with in a couple of seconds... yet you make us stare at every little cut scene... including ones that might have been used last-gen for hiding data loading... and then include long drawn out "gameplay" sections where you completely lose your abilities and are barely doing anything. "We respect your time. JUST KIDDING!"

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
they should just do what movie industry people do and count their money instead of worrying about someone potentially fast forwarding through a movie. i wonder if they get upset that i don't watch the credits either lol

It's not really the same. People making a movie don't have to worry about fast forwarding because it's completely out of their hands, neither is it something they can implement nor is it something that they can actually stop someone from implementing. The only way they could reliably ensure that people can or cannot skip forward/backwards is to control where their movie comes out, in theatres where no on can skip, or in physical/digital releases, where they have to contend with the hardware or software of the provider.

Videogames need to implement cutscene skips, they all do. Which means development hours, QA, bug fixing, all that jazz, which also means spent money. So developers must care, because they either do allow skipping or they don't, and one of those incurs spending the time to make it happen where the other doesn't.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I love it when developers do press and hold (x) with radial countdown around button. Let's you skip cutscene, yet prevents accidently skipping something. Win/win.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
While I agree they should all be skippable i never skip them, my real hatred is when you can't pause cutscenes or even worse you try to pause and accidentally skip the cutscenes.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Made me stop my second play-through of Miles Morales. If someone knows how to skip them let me know.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Even worse than unskippable are unpausable cutscenes. Or ones that skip without confirmation if you dare try to pause them.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
hate this in tsushima. I dont care about the story. Even worse, evey interaction in the game is an unskippable cutscene,

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
If you only knew how much work it takes to make a cutscene skippable. Every case where we had unskippable cutscene in games I worked on it was because skipping a cutscene would cause loads of bugs or technical issues. It was literary too hard to do.

TwoDots

Oct 6, 2020
Been playing a lot of Nintendo first party games on the Switch with my 3-year-old daughter and it's driving me (and her) up the wall how pretty much all of them have skippable cutscenes. I literally complained to my non-gamer wife the other day how arrogant these folks are to assert how the player should consume the product they've bought and own.

I never skip cutscenes the first playthrough, no matter the game. But my daughter doesn't understand nor does she care about this stuff and always complains that it's taking too long, rightfully so. I literally had to sit through like 5-10 minutes of crap to start a game of tennis in Mario Aces - the audacity!

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Last Story had no skippable cutscene, but it was possibile to "fast-forward" them.
If only was possible to pause them, it would be perfect.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Max Payne 3 the absolute worst for this, especially as it is otherwise such an obvious candidate for replays.

Currently replaying God of War on PS5, which is amazing, but the challenge of story elements when they're not "cut scenes" as such is interesting in the context of this thread.
Worth noting that the cinematics in that game are still skippable though (after the first playthrough)! I was the one who added them haha.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Worth noting that the cinematics in that game are still skippable though (after the first playthrough)! I was the one who added them haha.
Oh wow thank you for the heads up. I double dipped on a disc version for PS5 so I could play 60fps with higher resolution. It's been an absolute treat going through it again so not skipping a moment!

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
I just finished up DMC 5 and it had a sort of similar problem. Naturally I watched everything the first time, but the next playthrough was tedious. You could skip all the cutscenes, sure, but you were still forced to sit there forever for the cutscene to load in the first place. It doesn't ask you before it even goes through the trouble of loading it. It's just:

10s+ loading screen > mission intro CS > 5s+ loading screen > mission menu > 20s loading screen > actually playing

If you want to retry the mission from the beginning, you have to go through that entire ordeal again. It's insane that "Retry" doesn't put you back at the actual play section. I'm sure this isn't too big a deal on a system with an SSD, but eh.

The actual death screen/cutscene is unskippable, too, if I recall.

however, the worst are long unskippable scenes right before incredibly hard bosses. (Miang disc 2 fight Xenogears is one of the absolute worst)

God damn this is probably the most frustrating instance I can think of. That was like nearly four minutes of having to mash through text boxes. 13 year old me nearly gave up there.