• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The thing that bugs me about the Nami and Robin same-face is that between Amazon Lily and some of the Charlotte sisters, it's quite clear that he can make varying female designs, he just chooses not to. I think it's more that he likes all of the major female characters/heroines to have a specific look, so we get the Nami derivatives (Vivi, Rebecca, Shirahoshi) and the Robin derivatives (Hancock, Violet, Komurasaki). I guess you can predict how important a new female character will be based on how close she is to Nami or Robin. :P

As far as the general weirdness of the art and proportions go, though, I love it. I love that people like Aokiji/Kizaru/Akainu are like two or three times larger than normal people and there's no explanation for it. I love that we have actual beastmen (the Minks), people who have powers that make them look like animals (Zoans), and just weird-ass people who look like animals normally (Mashiro, Shoujou), all in the same series.

(We even have entire tribes/races based around the weird designs now, with the long arms, longlegs, snake necks, and three-eyes)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
EAtRYWVWsAAkMzu

This is the ideal female body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like !

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not caught up, but isn't her devil fruit ability...

...while extremely powerful, is somewhat sexist, because it turns people into laundry and fold them, kinda re-enforcing the house wife angle that women in Japan have in recent years been moving away from?

It sucks, because she's always been a character I liked and to see that kinda Devil Fruit power was kinda.. Sigh.

To kinda discuss a little more: I think I could get over some of the proportions a little bit, kinda like how I do on Fairy Tail, if the writing for the characters supported. While Fairy Tail isn't perfect, most of the female characters largely are written as actual characters (story is the bigger issues with Fairy Tail, but most of the characters are written fairly well enough), where One Piece has been incredibly hit or miss in this regards. I was horribly upset about the Tashigi fight that occurs during Punk Hazard..

...as Zoro tells Tashigi something that only re-enforces something he told against Kuina in his childhood. Kuina thinks because she's a girl, as she matures, she'll get weaker, and Zoro literally tells her not to say that, given her ability exceeds his own, and he wants her to keep getting stronger. Tashigi is basically parallel character to Kuina in a lot of respects, which often Zoro struggled to deal with once he met her.

But later on, seeing Zoro tell her because she's a girl, she'll only get in the way, and to let him take care of the enemy in question, was incredibly insulting and was one of the most insulting moments to not just Tashigi, but Zoro's character, given how earlier in his development, he wanted to see Women overcome whatever bullshit limits society imposes on them. And to see him re-enforce this shit, really infuriated me. The fight was felt like it was gonna set itself for a Zoro x Tashigi tag team, which would've been fantastic, but instead...

There's also the whole issue with Rebecca and her father, regarding why he doesn't want her to fight ultimately.

There's just a lot that really bothers me about certain aspects, and it really feels like Oda went backwards on a lot of these things. While we're still seeing a lot of variety of unique designs (even with the problems I have with Nami and Robin's proportions at times), the writing is just... driving me up a wall.

EDIT: One last thing I wanna say, before I end this.

I'm a huge One Piece fan. I'm probably one of the older fans out there online that's been following the series during it's earlier years (I started late 2002, early 2003), and I've been following it since then. It's a part of my late childhood, and all through my Teenager years. It's an incredibly important story to me, with many of its early messages resonating with me. I owe a lot for helping me get through times, where I struggled with the idea of not really having friends and people who I could rely on, a message that was so ingrained to early One Piece.

And while some aspects of One Piece had always been there, on the problematic angle, it feels like a lot of things as the years went on, got worse, and I hate to see a series I care so much about fall into these traps. I wanna see it get better. I don't wanna see Oda backtrack on so many things. It's a series I'll likely stick with until the end, but it hurts to see certain ideas being re-enforced, to the point it went against a character's ideology years later.

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm not caught up, but isn't her devil fruit ability...

...while extremely powerful, is somewhat sexist, because it turns people into laundry and fold them, kinda re-enforcing the house wife angle that women in Japan have in recent years been moving away from?

It sucks, because she's always been a character I liked and to see that kinda Devil Fruit power was kinda.. Sigh.
We still haven't seen her in a full one on one fight but that does indeed seem to be her ability. But to come to the conclusion that the ability in ands
of itself is inherently sexist, well I don't know what to tell you on that one chief. Not a conclusion I would have come to, considering her implied power level and inherent respect all charcters that interact with her give.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We still haven't seen her in a full one on one fight but that does indeed seem to be her ability. But to come to the conclusion that the ability in ands
of itself is inherently sexist, well I don't know what to tell you on that one chief. Not a conclusion I would have come to, considering her implied power level and inherent respect all charcters that interact with her give.

I think the issue is (sorry for having to keep this in spoilers):

...having to give an older woman the ability that is traditional seen as a house wife sorta-thing, which isn't unique to Japan inherently, but definitely an aspect in Japan that's lasted longer than other societies, can potentially seen as a problem. Especially if you have an older woman from that generation.

I think the other issue at hand is if it wasn't for some of the stuff that occurred before this reveal, I think a lot of us could've seen it poking fun at the whole nature of it, but combined with some things that some of the female characters have been told, it doesn't come across in the best light. That's how I personally take it. A number of other people have had similar views about this as well.

And for the record: Tsuru's a very well spoken and powerful woman in general. She does have a hint of a caring side, of course, but she's very stern in situations where it calls for it, and is able to hold her own in those instances. I just... kinda am a little bit bothered (okay, maybe a little bit more than bothered) about her Devil Fruit power, given the previous stuff.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has the manga explained how a sword "ate" a devil fruit?

I mean...

This is the same series that has proven all inanimate objects have some level of sentience. Even chairs and tables have sweat dropped during awkward situations, not even just talking about the Ships. So I don't think that's impossible by any nature

But like the above, I believe it's been explained a bit.

EDIT: Did a quick search, seems it's not fully explained as of yet, but some information was at least given that it was part of Vegapunk's research giving objects properties of the devil fruit.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of media is pretty problematic. I think overall intent is important to keep in mind, and this is primarily a whacky, over the top action manga aimed mainly at kids and teenagers. I'd say just roll with it if you like it enough, and if it bugs you enough drop it.

I might actually be more offended by him leaving the women nonplussed with giant robots while the men go wild. You're overestimating how different people can be/underestimating how much women can be entertained by giant robots!

True, but it's more of a thing that came up when I recommended it and telling them to just look past that isn't an option for some. Especially as it has such high praise in my mind, but also wanting better design for women in media. It has great background stories and motivation for their characters.
You're that I should keep the target demographic in the back of my mind, as those tropes are typical in shounen mangas.

I think he'll leave them nonplussed unless the answer he gave wasn't meant seriously. I do agree that there's a huge underestimation. It would be great to change up the dynamic by having a woman who does join the crew in robo amazement.

D: In volume 64 and 65, when Nami and Robin see Franky's new techniques, they took on in silence. Is that really alright? Why don't they get excited? P.N. CPDX

O: Right. Penname-CPDX-kun, you're 17 now, right? There's something you need to learn now. Men and women are completely different creatures. It's a big mistake to think that they can understand each other just because they're both human. No matter who tries to explain the coolness of robots to a girl, the message will never get through. Those people like things that sparkle, things that are soft and fluffy, and things that I don't understand. We could never comprehend those things, right? So, yes, it's alright. Even when looking at such a cool thing, they'll just stare with blank expressions. Do your best, Franky!!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 433. Like we haven't gotten Vegapunk's 20 chapter backstory about how he created the secret formula for Pepsi but we know it was his science that made Lassoo and Funkfreed. I'm sure Oda is going to go into more depth but it'll basically boil down to "this guy is so good at science that it's indistinguishable from magic."
30nf5l4.png

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Chapter 433. Like we haven't gotten Vegapunk's 20 chapter backstory about how he created the secret formula for Pepsi but we know it was his science that made Lassoo and Funkfreed. I'm sure Oda is going to go into more depth but it'll basically boil down to "this guy is so good at science that it's indistinguishable from magic."
30nf5l4.png
Oh, so the answer is no.

We know Vegapunk did it, but we still have no idea how.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't he say he draws females with huge balloon boobs and tiny waists because he's giving the kids what they want?

Personally as a guy I don't even find it attractive. It looks ridiculous and at home my family makes fun of it all the time, but we still enjoy the show.

Which reminds me, I downloaded the crappy One Piece VR game for PS4. Seeing Nami's huge boobs right in your face is kinda hilarious.

I think Oda has great variety for body types, men and women. Yes, he does the ridiculous big boob-tiny waist thing, but he also does plenty of different ones that people have already posted like the Amazon Lily examples, Big Mom/kids stuff, etc. I'm not fussed about his style/favorite 'shape'.

Nov 2, 2017
During the fight for Raftel in 2029 that Nami is going reveal her ace in hole weather tech to be some flesh covered balloons she stuffed her bra with.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But later on, seeing Zoro tell her because she's a girl, she'll only get in the way, and to let him take care of the enemy in question, was incredibly insulting and was one of the most insulting moments to not just Tashigi, but Zoro's character, given how earlier in his development, he wanted to see Women overcome whatever bullshit limits society imposes on them. And to see him re-enforce this shit, really infuriated me. The fight was felt like it was gonna set itself for a Zoro x Tashigi tag team, which would've been fantastic, but instead...

Can someone tell me which chapter that was said in? It's been ages since I read One Piece and that apparently flew over my head at the time.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
That tweet is kind of fucked up. Rubs me the wrong way in the same month as a huge catastrophe in the industry she's like I'm coming to your house and throw you down stairs

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I knew it was the anime before I even clicked. Oda likes his women but the people at Toei are on another level.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was the anime before I even clicked. Oda likes his women but the people at Toei are on another level.

Indeed. Toei takes it to the extreme. One example is when Robin is turned back into a human after becoming a toy (it makes sense in context). The manga simply had a few panels of her transforming. The anime though took time to pan the camera to her ass and tits as she turned back.
Or more recently with Jewelery Bonney, transformed into an old woman (powers) she sneaks into the World Government HQ then transforms back into her normal form.The manga it's just a couple panels.. The anime had to focus on her boobs and make them bounce.

Toei is next-level pervy. I can picture them setting an entire episode in the Wano hot spring when that part rolls around. On top of not trying to catch up to the manga.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Yes, Oda's art style is pretty disgusting and I'm not even talking about the moral aspect. It just looks revolting and was easily the least enjoyable aspect of the Manga when I read it years ago.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has been a really disappointing aspect of One Piece. Not to mention how the anime decided to lighten Robin and Usopp's skin after the time skip to match their manga depictions. Has there even been a character with darker skin introduced post timeskip?

Also lol at people taking offense at the tweet like the author is actually planning to track down Oda.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I thought this was going to be about how ridiculously tall some people get.

1lhe9jn100kz.jpg

Note that all of these people except Jinbei and possibly Moria (the guy in back) are explicitly human. Hancock and Mihawk alone of those are in normal human height ranges.

As for it, yeah, it gets bad in places and the cheaper scenes from the anime make it worse because everyone slides a bit off-model.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
One Piece is really good, but almost everyone got downgraded post timeskip. I've only watched the anime up to 500 eps odd. I want to know what happens in the story, but the sexualization of the female characters and glacial pacing means I'm just going to switch to the manga.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The anime is bad in general, this is one of many reasons to just read the manga if you're interested in One Piece.