• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bannerjpg82kn2.jpg

General Info
Developer: Mediatonic
Publisher: The Irregular Corporation
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Steam, GOG
Release Date: March 5th, 2020 (Switch), March 6th, 2020 (PC)
Price: $14.99, £11.99, €12.49, CAN$17.49, ¥1,650
Supported Languages: English, Japanese
Game Size: 1.1 GB (Switch), 2 GB (PC)

Game Description
Solve Pixel Puzzles to find clues.
Use those clues to interrogate witnesses.
Work your way to the truth...
...and uncover the mystery of Murder by Numbers!​

Los Angeles, 1996. Honor Mizrahi was just an actress on a hit TV detective show. But when her boss ends up dead just minutes after he fires her, she finds herself starring in her own murder mystery. Teaming up with SCOUT, a reconnaissance robot thrown away after a mysterious incident, she sets out to clear her name - and a new detective duo is born!

Investigate a range of murders across TV studios, glitzy award shows, drag clubs, and more - all set to an energetic soundtrack from famed composer Masakazu Sugimori (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick and Viewtiful Joe).

Uncover a dark conspiracy by interrogating a wild range of weird and wonderful characters, designed by the incomparable Hato Moa, creator of Hatoful Boyfriend.

90s fashions! Upbeat jams! Sass dialled up to 100! Questionable jokes! Drag queens! All that and more awaits... in Murder by Numbers!

Animated Intro

Screenshots

Links
Official website
Announcement trailer
Launch trailer
Soundtrack
Twitter
Discord server

Last edited:
reviews
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (Switch) (78)
Metacritic (PC) (79)
OpenCritic (81)

Eurogamer (recommended):
I came into Murder by Numbers not really knowing what the hell to expect, and I leave it as an ardent admirer. Hato Moa's - the creator of Hatoful Boyfriend - cast is masterfully brought to life with their (mostly!) relatable personas and credible dialogue, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney composer Masakazu Sugimori always seems to know precisely when to slow things down with a well-placed jazzy tune or pep us up with a liberal dusting of 90s J-Pop.

Despite its dark themes, Murder by Numbers is a wholly original treat and a complete bargain at that - I hope it surprises you for all the same wonderful reasons, too.

The Verge (no score):
For a certain type of player, this is an ideal scenario. The combination doesn't make a whole lot of sense narratively, but as a fan of both Phoenix Wright and Picross, the experience felt custom-designed for me. But the shifts can be jarring. It's always odd to be pulled out of a tense situation to spend 20 minutes ticking boxes in a giant grid. If you're not really into the puzzles, it's probably not worth the effort, as good as the story is. But if you're smack in the middle of the venn diagram of "people who love numbers" and "people who want to solve fantastical anime murders" there's really nothing else like Murder by Numbers.

Mental Health Gaming (no score):
Everything about Murder By Numbers blends together to create a wonderful experience. One that caters to Picross veterans and newcomers alike. Whilst there may be a lack of immediate replay-ability, I am already going to start begging for DLC or a sequel. I think we have stumbled across something very special indeed.

You didn't know you needed this in your life. But once you play it you'll wonder why it wasn't part of it sooner. A must own.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun (no score):
The problem, really, is that while both aspects of Murder By Numbers are pretty good, neither of them are given enough space to really breathe. There are too few picross puzzles for puzzlers, and there's not enough visual novel for VN lovers. I wouldn't not recommend Murder by numbers, but it would perhaps have benefited from being a bit longer than it is (an easy demand to make of an indie game, I'm sure you'll agree). Still, though, it's worth a poke around if you're a fan of either genre involved. And I still can't get the theme song out of my head.

GameSpace (no score):
Filled with quirky 90s cheese, engaging characters, and some fantastic animation, Murder by numbers is the sort of case file that goes above and beyond the line of duty.

TheGamer (5/5):
If you want to train your brain in more ways than one, enjoy a murder mystery that'll keep you on your toes until the very end, and view some pretty wild 90s fashion designs, Murder By Numbers is the game for you.

Nintendo Times (10/10):
OUTSTANDING - Murder By Numbers combines Picross puzzle solving with graphic novel gameplay and completely nails the experience thanks to its hilarious writing, endearing characters, awesome visuals, and stellar soundtrack. Fans of either genre should fall in love with this game, and newcomers will find a game that's approachable and addicting.

Nintendo World Report (9.5/10, video):
When Murder By Numbers was announced, I was excited for a game that fused Ace Attorney and Picross with style. I'm pleased to not be let down by my cascading hype as it turns out that Mediatonic has a firm grasp on the distinctive appeal of Ace Attorney's world and characters, putting together a flashy and bright '90s world that wouldn't feel out of place if it was actually across town from Phoenix and the gang. Throw in the well-executed Picross puzzles and you have yourself one of the best surprises of 2020. Here's hoping we can see more of this enjoyable cast of characters and welcome visual novel twist.

God is a Geek (9/10):
The art of Murder by Numbers is absolutely gorgeous. The 80s aesthetic and comic book style is a joy to look at, and the great soundtrack (and incredible opening theme) fits the style perfectly. I really don't have anything bad to say about this puzzling adventure. When going through text it's easy to accidentally ask the same questions again if you're a little over eager with the A button, and you'll have to sit through the conversation again. That slight annoyance is the only issue I had though, playing through all 4 of the game's cases. Murder by Numbers is the blend of crime adventure and Picross that I never knew I wanted. With a touching narrative, tons of aesthetic charm, and a tutorial and difficulty curve tuned to perfection, this murder mystery will have you solving block puzzles in your head any time you're torn away from it.

GameSpew (9/10):
Whether you're a fan of Picross, or whether you enjoy a good murder mystery, I can't recommend Murder By Numbers enough. The stories it weaves are fantastically realised, brought to life with wonderful characters, genuine touches of humour and fantastic animation. Honestly, I'm sad there's only four chapters (although each one will keep you hooked for at least 3-4 hours) – more please, Mediatonic. It's one of the nicest, genuinely unique games I've played in quite some time.

Jopa Quest (9/10, video review):
Finally, the love child of Ace Attorney and Picross has arrived and it's well worth the wait.

+ Fun puzzles
+ Engaging plot
+ Character design
+ Detective investigations
+ Seriously that soundtrack!

- Cutscenes can look low quality
- Left me with wanting so much more!

Gayming Magazine (4.5/5):
Murder by Numbers is one of the best games to come out this year. It's innovative, funny and feels much like a warm hug. It's only let down by the number of puzzles, rather than the quality of them. Especially in places where their appearance doesn't make much sense. That said, if you want to feel seen and, ultimately, accepted, by a video game…

Murder by Numbers is for you.

GameSkinny (9/10):
These small gripes might keep it just out of reach of a perfect score, but Murder by Numbers is an exceptional title that joins the list of games I'll be recommending to anyone that will listen for years to come.

It's just that good.

Pure Nintendo (9/10):
Murder By Numbers is a fun game that blends two genres incredibly well. It gives the puzzle game genre an interesting narrative and adds an addictive extra layer to murder mystery narratives.

Fintendo (4.5/5, review in Finnish):
Murder by Numbers is a game that hit me with a knock. I didn't know I needed a cross between a picross and a detective, but here it is. Honor Mizrah's adventure is not as insightful a puzzle game as Phoenix Wright's courtroom drama, nor is the best Picross game on the market, but it blends the two genres together in such a fashionable way that the end result is better than the sum of their parts. The Murder Mysteries act as standalone cases as well as a longer storyline, and at the end a solid foundation for the sequel is laid. I recommend this game especially to Ace Attorney fans who are looking for new winds. Now that the Picross rhythm game would ever come again ...

DarkStation (4.5/5):
Although the lack of clarity with the UI and interface takes my opinion down a notch, overall, I really enjoyed my time with Murder by Numbers. The combination of a detective game and picross really works. I hope that this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
Murder by Numbers is a weird and wonderful recipe that successfully merges nanogram puzzles with some light detective mechanics and an entertaining murder mystery-style visual novel. The end result is a truly original experience and one that takes an otherwise straightforward puzzle-type and moves it in an exciting and surprising new direction.

Noisy Pixel (8.5/10, video):
Murder by Numbers blends visual novel storytelling and unique puzzle design to create an excellent detective adventure. Getting through the steady increase of challenging puzzles was fueled by the desire to crack the case and learn more about the relationships within the story.

Detective fans will enjoy how much interaction there is with the game, but the linear story leaves little room for any real consequences. Although it has a slow start, Murder by Numbers picks up speed with the help of the charming relationship between Honor and SCOUT and their determination to solve this mystery.

Nintendo Enthusiast (8.5/10):
Despite a few missing features, Murder by Numbers is still a delightful twist on a classic puzzle game. Fans of Ace Attorney or Picross will not want to let this one fly under their radar. This is a universe begging for a sequel.

COGconnected (84/100):
Offering challenging puzzles and a funny dialogue, the overall experience playing through Murder by Numbers is a highly positive one. With an endearing cast of characters and the right amount of humour, there's never a dull moment in the game. The nonograms are challenging even for an enthusiast such as myself, which is great for those who have tried pixel puzzles before. Unfortunately while it could be difficult for newcomers, I would still recommend learning it through Murder by Numbers, because solving one feels incredibly rewarding, especially if it involves unraveling a murder mystery.

New Game Network (82/100):
Murder By Numbers is a satisfying adventure that will delight any fan of Picross. The visual novel aspect gives the game a unique angle for the genre, and the personable art design leaves a great impression. If you're looking for a way to test the waters on Picross, this is a great way to do so.

GamesRadar (4/5):
By its very nature the gameplay is repetitive - search an area, solve some puzzles, talk to everyone you can - and the investigations are just a case of finding everything and ticking every box, rather than using any real deductive brainpower. The UI could have been kinder too; more than once I replayed a whole chapter because I impatiently hit play on the one I'd just finished. I suppose that should teach me a lesson about racing through dialogue, but once I was back in that chapter there was no way to skip to the right one. What's crucial is that, rather than give up, I just did the whole merry dance again, so Murder By Numbers must be doing something right.

There are some bonus puzzles to unlock in Scout's memory, and the game left me wanting more and to stick around and see how Honor's story continued. There are HBO series that fail at that, so Mediatonic really has managed to create something a bit special with this strange, glorious mix of the old and the new.

Slant Magazine (4/5):
British video game developer Media Tonic's Murder by Numbers blends [picross] puzzles with visual novel-esque investigation sequences, creating a charming concoction full of endearing characters and set to a wondrous soundtrack.

TechRaptor (8/10):
Overall, Murder By Numbers' strong points outweigh its flaws. The story and characters are compelling and engaging, with hilarious dialogue and heart to spare. Each case feels distinct, and the overarching structure works well to connect them, as does the constant presence of the nonogram puzzles. While there are definite puzzle improvements to be made, it's a promising start for a franchise, if the sequel hook at the end is anything to go by.

PCWorld (4/5):
Listen, if somebody tied Picross into Assassin's Creed or Destiny 2 or some other games-as-a-service venture, I'd be doomed. I can't stop playing Picross. They'd find me dead, having wasted away solving just ooooone more puzzle. Then they'd call in the detectives, and this would all come full circle.

Murder by Numbers isn't perfect, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and hope there's a sequel. Honor, Scout, Detective Cross, and the gang deserve a second outing, ideally with more of a focus on the detective work—and perhaps a few headache-inducing 25x25 Picross puzzles as well.

And until then, well, there's still Pictopix.

PC Invasion (8/10):
Honestly, your tolerance for Murder by Numbers is going to come down to how much you like nonograms. Despite the Phoenix Wright stylistics, the jazzy soundtrack, the solid writing, and the vibrant characters and art, this is a nonogram game with a story. A visual novel broken up with Picross segments, if you like. I'd love for there to be more complex stories and more of a focus on investigation, but that's not much of a downside at all. If you've never touched a nonogram before, then this is an excellent way to start, and considering the number of casual Picross addicts I know, I'd say it's easily worth a shot at this gimme of a price.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Murder By Numbers successfully manages to combine an entertainingly wacky series of whodunnit mysteries starring a properly entertaining cast of characters with some excellent puzzling that'll keep Picross fans happy for a good long while. There's an engaging, funny narrative at the centre of proceedings, and you'll find yourself rooting for Honor and SCOUT as they make friends and alienate people on their way to solving murders and finding out the truth behind SCOUT's mysterious past. This one's an easy recommendation and a genuinely delightful surprise.

Shacknews (8/10):
Murder by Numbers is a slick-looking visual novel that combines elements of several other enjoyable games together into one. It takes the exciting graphics, '90s-inspired visuals and character designs from Hato Moa and their ilk, the deduction and investigation from Phoenix Wright, and the puzzles of Picross to make a tasty, bite-sized treat.

While the game can be a bit repetitive and some of the number puzzles either too difficult or too simple depending on the situation, this is an exciting and well-executed puzzle title that should certainly be experienced once, even if you're just in it for how impossibly cool all the characters look.

IGN (8/10):
Murder by Numbers successfully blends a Phoenix Wright-style visual novel with a Picross-style puzzle game by making each aspect great in its own right. It may not be the game to dethrone Jupiter from its Picross pedestal, and its somewhat overly linear detective story doesn't quite reach as high as its Ace Attorney inspiration, but that doesn't mean it's not a mystery worth solving. Honor and SCOUT are a wonderful duo to watch grow, and their detective adventures are a heartwarming and undoubtedly fun time.

Multiplayer.it (8/10, review in Italian):
While failing to bring out a perfect amalgam from its strange composite nature, Murder by Numbers wins the challenge by offering an experience that strikes and remains impressive. The Picross element is simple and therefore well-tested and functional, while the narrative context makes us enter forcefully into the particular world of Honor and SCOUT, thanks above all to the characterization of the colorful cast of characters. It turns out to be a bit linear and less structured than other investigative adventures such as Phoenix Wright, but it certainly manages to stand out with its own identity and to attract both for the stimulating story and for the stainless strength of the puzzle.

PC Gamer (71/100):
If you're super into picross and mystery visual novels then Murder by Numbers is the perfect game for you since there is nothing else like it. The story and characters are brilliantly campy and because of its forgiving hint system, I would still recommend it to those who just want to experience the story and don't mind a few brain teasers along the way. It's not managed to completely convert me to a picross lover, but because of its story and cast, I wouldn't say no to more.

EDGE Magazine (7):
Wright himself would be unlikely to object to a game with such affection for its biggest influence. With smart foreshadowing, surprising twists and reveals and an overarching narrative deftly threaded throughout all four cases, Murder by Numbers isn't shamed by the comparison. While it ties its narrative strands neatly enough to work as a standalone story, Mizrahi and Scout would be well worth a sequel.

Rice Digital (3.5/5):
Despite some awkward difficulty spikes, cheap reference humour, and some characters being hit or miss with me, I have had a good time with Murder by Numbers. It was a huge learning curve to solve these puzzles and I'm certain that fans of Ace Attorney and similar titles who also happen to be skilled at Picross will have a fantastic time with the story and the cast of colourful and wacky characters.

Hardcore Gamer (3.5/5):
Murder by Numbers is a game for people who enjoy playing nonogram/Picross puzzles. If you have no enjoyment for these then the game will be an absolute nightmare. On the other hand, anyone who loves these puzzles will find a ton packed in the game with the addition of an enjoyable storyline told throughout to bring context to the puzzles. With so many puzzles included, you'll have hours upon hours of gameplay ahead. The colorful characters and detective tale ensure that players won't get bored with the world of Murder by Numbers.

Fanbyte (7/10):
Murder By Numbers has a strong premise, blending murder mystery with Picross puzzles, but has trouble making the formula, as well as its story and characters, gel as well as they should.

Starburst Magazine (7/10):
Many of the characters are incredibly camp and the dialogue contains an extremely high amount of sass. Combining these with an excellent soundtrack courtesy of Viewtiful Joe / Ace Attorney's Masakazu Sugimori and visuals by Hatoful Boyfriend's Hato Moa (seriously, look it up if you haven't heard of it) makes for an incredibly memorable experience, the likes of which are hard to come by. If the setting and genre-bending gameplay appeal to you, chances are this is going to be right up your street!

GAMINGbible (7/10):
Whenever I found Murder By Numbers dragging a bit - which is to say, whenever a puzzle went south and I blanked it back to its beginning - I turned off, slightly frustrated. But I always came back a while later, at which point I found myself having a great time again, refreshed and ready to crack what'd previously irked me. So it's less of a binge-watch kind of game, and more one you may want to pace yourself with; but that takes nothing away from it ultimately being a successful fusion of punchy interrogations, well-written narrative twists, and brain-itching puzzling.

Vandal (7/10, review in Spanish):
It is a pity that this Mediatonic production has not been translated because we think that, for quality and style of play, it should have been done. This is a rather curious visual novel that has a fairly leisurely game system that really suits the incorporation of Picross-style puzzles and everything related to the investigation of crime scenes and the interrogation of suspects. It also has a very casual air that suits it very well and a good sound and artistic setting, shaping a notable representative within his genre.

Gameblog.fr (7/10, review in French):
With Murder by Numbers, Mediatonic has managed to mix various elements from visual novel games with nonograms. The gameplay lacks of variety but the overall setting is sufficiently engaging, thanks to its characters, to make sure the player will stay until the very end.

USgamer (3.5/5):
Mediatonic's Murder By Numbers combines visual novel storytelling with picross puzzling, and it makes the pairing feel just right. Now and then a huge grid to solve may slow your roll as you're edging closer to a big reveal in a case, but the puzzles themselves are always satisfying regardless. With four lengthy chapters, catchy music, and several charming characters in its cast, Murder By Numbers is an easy recommendation for anyone who likes either mysteries or picross, and you'll be eager for more of both once you're finished.

MonsterVine (3/5):
If you like picross, Murder by Numbers has some entertaining dialogue and colorful characters to go along with your puzzles. If you aren't going into this for picross first and foremost, however, the rest of the game isn't going to carry it.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
Murder By Numbers puts a narrative-heavy spin on the Picross experience and accompanies it with enough difficulty setting that even a mathematically challenged fool like me to get engrossed in the grid-filling action for hours on end. Unfortunately, so much of the story is tainted by unlikeable characters and a constant barrage of eye-rolling references that take away from the otherwise unique style of the world. I was still engaged enough with the mystery and addictive soundtrack to see the game through, but the number of times I had to pause the game and walk away after reading another miserable 90s reference soured the experience.

Metro GameCentral (6/10):
A highly unlikely combination of Ace Attorney and Picross but despite the game's best efforts it's a mixture that never really gels together.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yay, I helped!

I'm so excited for this game! It's been a while since I last played a Picross game and I just can't wait to listen to that guaranteed-to-be-amazing Sugimori soundtrack.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I have high hopes for this one (I drafted it in the FantasyCritic league)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super interested in this. I'm gonna hold off for reviews an impressions though, because the writing and design of the murder mystery side will make or break it.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Looking forward to this, already preordered it on Switch.

Picross + Ace Attorney sounds like it's made for me tbh. And that animated intro is lovely!

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Noice.
Discovered what "picross/nonograms" were a few months back with "Paint It Back", let's just say...
3fxxss.jpg

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with Honor's face and especially nose in the artwork? This feels slightly off, though I seem to remember the few full-screen pictures in the game also give of a subtle different vibe than the dialogue depictions.

And, and be prepared to spent a lot of time to get to the end. And that's not counting the bonus puzzls which unlock some interesting flashbacks (still haven't gotten through all of these).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
added some screenshots to the OP

Nope it was on PC.
The name of some paintings still sticks to me to this day, like "Secret Agent Crab Ziplining to safety".
What more would you want in a game really.
yeah it really had a unique style for its puzzle names. i really liked the whole gallery theme too. the dev should port it to switch, i'd bet a lot of people would be interested

Last edited:

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting concept. I'm a huge fan of Picross, here's hoping the game turns out good.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for reviews despite the strong pedigree. I'm not really sure what Picross adds to an Ace Attorney-type game, or vice versa.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so busy with Yakuza 3 & 4, trying to get those done before Persona 5 Royal & FF7 Remake but uuggghhh this is so damn tempting as someone who has all the US released Picross games by Jupiter. Plus I have $6.64 in gold coins, so that's about 50% right there.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
So there's a character named Detective Cross. If his first name isn't Pete I will be very disappointed.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this one. Picross and Ace Attorney are two of my favorite things!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Already preloaded. Even if it ends up not being as good as I hope, it's such a good and creative idea that hits two niches I already love that I want to support it anyway. Plus it's queer/from queer creators, so even better.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
is there going to be courtroom segments? Looks more Miles Edgeworth Investigation like?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
First time seeing this, now I'm very interested. Two things I like but can't quite sit through on their own, perfect.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the reviews praise the story, I think I'll play this on PC. On Switch I'm overloaded with Picross, but on PC there's room for more.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Been looking for something to play on my Switch, definitely grabbing this if the story seems good. I've never actually played Picross or anything like it.

13 minute gameplay video from IGN

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

This game caught my eye, however, as somebody who hasn't played Picross, I almost brushed it off. After watching the tutorial in the video above, I can't help but want to do some of those puzzles right now. There's also an Easy mode that can be toggled on or off at any time, which is good for people learning these puzzles. Going to pick this one up.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This game caught my eye, however, as somebody who hasn't played Picross, I almost brushed it off. After watching the tutorial in the video above, I can't help but want to do some of those puzzles right now. There's also an Easy mode that can be toggled on or off at any time, which is good for people learning these puzzles. Going to pick this one up.

Easy buy.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I just 100%ed picross 2. Good to have more choice.
Hope the story is good.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So hyped!
I will probably wait for the steam release, I can get it cheaper and I feel like mouse is better.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Not a fan of Anime, but I do like the idea of a Puzzle Game involving around a story wish listed it.