• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So why would Sony just choose not to implement some of these features into their gpu? It's not like they were a secret, all of this stuff has been around a while and common knowledge except for the infinity cache.
Could be for a few different reasons, they may not have been able to wait for a full implementation since they have their own timelines, they may not have wanted it for cost reasons, they may have other solutions of their own that could be better or worse. Many different reasons. The same way one might use a certain type or speed of ram vs the other.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
So why would Sony just choose not to implement some of these features into their gpu? It's not like they were a secret, all of this stuff has been around a while and common knowledge except for the infinity cache.
Looks like MS was willing to wait before finalising the XSX|S design while Sony wasn't. This could be that Sonys costume stuff is good enough or that the 2019 release rumours where correct.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
PS5 is a custom RDNA 2 with Sony specific features. Xbox is RDNA 2 closer to desktop features. Mark Cerny himself said they saw some features on the RDNA 2 they thought wasn't needed and customized to their specifications. Also DX is owned by MS, so it made sense the Sony went and made their own custom API. Probably won't matter in the long run.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
All this is really saying is MS adopted all of the RDNA2 Feature set, this doesnt mean sony isnt RDNA 2 but there is a divergence in the feature set sony wanted and they may have opted for their own solution than just taking the RDNA feature set. So like something like SFS is standard on RDNA2 but sony may have an alternative. Why sony has been stressing Custom RDNA 2 so hard.
This is pretty much exactly what I think this means. Of course this thread will still probably get crazy with warriors, but in reality I think it is just a simple custom vs AMD standard

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
I remember there was a rumor about MS waiting for AMD to get the Full RDNA2 features an thats why there dev tools were late or behind Sony's ? Does this provide credence to that ? Either way seems like the MS HW team knocked it out the park again.

Mooreagreen

Apr 3, 2020
Is this real or some Tidux news being spread?
Both companies have strong relationships with AMD and contributed to the roadmap. MSFT has a strategy of insuring their games work on many devices without huge effort. SNE has to insure they work on one device. MSFT would have been stupid not to adopt the full feature set. SNE did not have to account for so many different scenarios and was able to customize to one device. Different strategies and both are sound business decisions. Time will show what was adopted but at the end of the day the difference between the machines is going to be up to what each development team can push out of them because they are both beasts - especially at the price points.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't something somewhat similar the situation in the previous gen?
I mean Xbox One with features parity with "gcn 1.1" (like r7 260x)
while sony went a slightly more custom route based on gcn?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
End of the day we are getting consoles that....you can buy both and still be cheaper than buying a good PC. It's really a beautiful thing whether one uses full RDNA2 And the other uses some of it and some mystery sauce (I mean hello demon souls is a looker I'm sure they will be just fine)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I just got home and just catching up on gaming news today. Did not read the entire thread, but did read the article posted on Xbox.com. So MS timed this release with the AMD announcement of the new AMD GPU's. Seems like they are working hand-in-hand with each other more than what many thought. The statement about the XSS/XSX using the full RDNA 2 tech like the AMD GPU's is interesting. We all know the proof will be in the games.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Depends on if there is a reason to. These systems aren't weak in comparison to current PC hardware unlike last gen when it released.
I guess nobody really knows how far components and tech will advance in 4 or 5 years. But if differences become glaringly obvious then that normally pushes the company who's at a disadvantage to bring out a better model. Hence why we have X-Box One X.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how game development works. GDK or not, the QA needs are still different, especially for things like console cert.

It's not "free". In fact, it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars extra for staff, cert checks, etc. depending on your title
But they'd be making a PC game but with GDK, not an Xbox game specifically, so whatever resource available as part of their normal team would simply shift to modified workflows to accommodate the new framework, with the added benefit what's being made can be branched off onto Xbox consoles, rather then porting from scratch I'd imagine.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the difference is that PS5 uses custom features that can achieve similar results.
I remember there was a rumor about MS waiting for AMD to get the Full RDNA2 features an thats why there dev tools were late or behind Sony's ? Does this provide credence to that ? Either way seems like the MS HW team knocked it out the park again.
Sony very likely had their own equivalent functionality. The issue with statements like these is we don't actually know whose implementation is better: Sony's custom or AMD's vanilla (or if they are effectively a wash).

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Both consoles support the same features, it's just called something else or tweaked on PS5.
How do you know this? Digital Foundry has asked Sony about this very issue and Sony hasn't responded. it is pure speculation to assume Sony has an equivalent for all RDNA 2 items that PS5 doesn't have. Do we know if PS5 has an equivalent to Mesh Shaders, VRS, or machine learning (hardware based)? I don't think Sony has confirmed that PS5 has an equivalent solution for these features, not yet at least.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
People keep saying this but do we really think Sony and Microsoft won't bring out new models half way through the gen anyway?
This is only my opinion, but I don't think they will, at least not Sony. The big reason for pro models this gen was the 4k marketing, so they had a reason to make those models. But what a new model would bring this gen? 8K? Think it's too soon for that. They won't do a console that it's too different from the base ones because they will always hold them back. I believe Sony will spend their time going after VR and improve their cloud solution and MS will probably do this too.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly OT and maybe a dumb question but is it correct that DX12 is more difficult to program for because it's new but is needed to really fully utilize Series X?

Yes -- at least on pc,dx12, vulkan, and metal represent a radical change graphics apis, and require more planning and manual setup for things that previous graphics apis did automatically. As engines and tools mature, that difficulty will go away for people who dont care, and the extra control (and therefor speed) will be there for gamss that need it. Not sure how hard consoles were to dev for already, might be a wash.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I guess nobody really knows how far components and tech will advance in 4 or 5 years. But if differences become glaringly obvious then that normally pushes the company who's at a disadvantage to bring out a better model. Hence why we have X-Box One X.
Well the ps4pro actually released first. I think with this gen will last a while with all these optimizations.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
This is only my opinion, but I don't think they will, at least not Sony. The big reason for pro models this gen was the 4k marketing, so they had a reason to make those models. But what a new model would bring this gen? 8K? Think it's too soon for that. They won't do a console that it's too different from the base ones because they will always hold them back. I believe Sony will spend their time going after VR and improve their cloud solution and MS will probably do this too.

In the past I had seen people mention that the PS4 Pro was more for PSVR than it was other things as base PS4 games were struggling.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Honestly everyone is just speculating. The only info we have is MSFTs PR statement and Tom Warren and others claiming that MSFT waited for something that Sony didn't, which is why they will have less units available near launch. Until we get a deep dive from Sony on the architecture we don't really know if it is missing anything of significance, or if they truly have custom impls for everything. Though if MSFT knows I assume they will highlight the difference in their video this week.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yes -- at least on pc,dx12, vulkan, and metal represent a radical change graphics apis, and require more planning and manual setup for things that previous graphics apis did automatically. As engines and tools mature, that difficulty will go away for people who dont care, and the extra control (and therefor speed) will be there for gamss that need it. Not sure how hard consoles were to dev for already, might be a wash.
Interesting..so essentially like anything else devs really just need to get comfortable with the software and that will take quite some time.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Big surprise. I really wasn't expecting that.

Let's see how this full RDNA2 features will workout for Series X/S.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This seems like Microsoft can technically claim this because of their default DirectX API integration, but Sony could very well have worked with AMD for their own implementations of the same technologies that leverage the architecture, but they just can't use the DirectX/PC platform buzzwords.

We'll see.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like Microsoft can technically claim this because of their default DirectX integration, but Sony could very well have worked with AMD for their own implementations that don't use the DirectX/PC platform buzzwords.

Mesh shaders and VRS are supported by Vulcan. Sampler Feedback Streaming and DXR are MS proprietary.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
My hunch here on this is that XSX and XSS have a more complete programmable Front end with mesh shaders (vs. the older primitive shader type), the Hardware VRS, and the technical hw required for the next Version of tiled resources, which is called Sampler Feedback. And I think, without saying positviely for certain, that that is why MS was so keen to make those features so prominent in their pre-release Material in the Xbox Series X. It was their hardware Feature advantage, they knew it, so they advertised it - just like how they advertised stable clocks as a thing even before Sony described the dynamic clocks to the public.

Will these advantages of a complete RDNA2 vs the PS5 GPU half way point matter? Probably.
By a lot? Meh. Let us wait for the games. And for the games over time. I think the raw flop and bandwidth will matter the most at first though as the other Features, should they prove limited to just XSX and XSS, require dedicated peogramming time to take advantage of. And multiplatform games do not always spend the resources to do that even. Unlike a faster GPU, which is just faster.

depends on how you look at it - when that initial XSX media came out with an almost comical amount of locked clocks mentions .. it was a given it was to dull sony's PR touting higher clocks .. so i mean which is "better" again if sony going their route enabled them to spend more silicon budget on IO .. then 'better' is going to be proven in the resulting games. system balance is going to be a thing .. to what extent .. will see. but i don't see DMC running at 60ps 4k ..its 30 just like ps5 ..so where is the advantage showing up? and if its not ..then maybe that over head could have been better spent elsewhere

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Tom Warren has suggested that this is the case, and explains why Sony's PS5 preorder supply was greater than Xbox preorder supply.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It seems that the rumour that Sony planned for PS5 to come out last year was true, they probably finalised their hardware sooner.
Anyway, I'm guessing Sony has their equivalent of some of those features, or do stuff in their own way, like Geometry Engine.
Their hardware solutions are usually more custom, to suit whatever their needs are.

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, it doesn't 'sound like' it's exclusive in any way. It's far far too early to tell and we don't know what Sony has or doesn't have.
Something made in partnership between Xbox and AMD doesn't sound exclusive? We know Microsoft added dedicated hardware to assist with machine learning/super resolution. Sony hasn't mentioned anything about the PS5 SOC also having dedicated hardware for it and we also know that the PS5 chip does not have all the features of RDNA2. Put the two together and ?

Tom Warren has said AMD's DLSS will be open / cross platform, so could come to PS5 and Series X.

Yes, cross platform aligns with what I said. XSX and PC (and cloud, lol). It being open does not benefit Sony if the PS5 does not have hardware to utilize it.

If this is the case I think this would be the end between sony and AMD.
Well this is assuming Sony choose to omit the necessary hardware, so it would be on them.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that the PS5 is missing RDNA2 features.

Both consoles are missing RDNA2 features, that's not the semantics MS are trying to play.

MS are saying of the features that are there more of theirs are "AMD RDNA2".

We knew this since Mark Cerny's talk, he was quite proud of the custom architecture in the PS5. So proud he even said if parts of AMD's products are similar it's not because of them it's because of us.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Tom Warren has suggested that this is the case, and explains why Sony's PS5 preorder supply was greater than Xbox preorder supply.
That doesn't stop Sony manufacturing hw that will support all these features even if they sdk don't support them atm or at a later date. Unless ps5 started manufacturing process 6 months ahead of ms with a incomplete hardware from AMD. As long as the final HW is full featured RDNA2, software can come later.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
PS5 is RDNA2 based, but Sony has their own custom implementations. It's not 1:1 to RDNA2 that AMD has on PC. MS using their smart wording again to attract some console warriors.
The only console warriors MS seems to attract are the Sony fans XD

To be fair though, if what MS is saying is true then all they are doing is speaking the truth. How other people react to that truth is none of Microsoft's business.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Isn't that what this is saying though? That they either dropped RDNA2 features or replaced some with custom ones.
Yeah, anyone know based on early leaks in terms of manufacturing schedule? all RDNA2 hw are shipping around the same time I don't think the manufacturing time is too far apart tbh. Only thing that was unclear from Cerny presentation was the mesh shaders and their geometry shaders.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that is some of the custom Sony stuff? I don't know.

IIRC Cerny was saying specifically that there were features that they worked on, in fact like he made it sound like a significant key components of it, were going to make it to other platforms, or at least consumer cards. He stressed that they helped make RDNA2. This helped them because they wanted those features but it also helped AMD advance the platform. The question is what those were.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Yeah, anyone know based on early leaks in terms of manufacturing schedule? all RDNA2 hw are shipping around the same time I don't think the manufacturing time is too far apart tbh. Only thing that was unclear from Cerny presentation was the mesh shaders and their geometry shaders.
I have no idea on manufacturing schedules other that this quote from Tom Warren:

All I know is that Sony picked a particular part, and Microsoft waited for reasons I'll explain soon. The reality? I think Sony will have higher yields, and more consoles to sell in market this holiday.

This could indicate that Sony started manufacturing earlier. Or that their customisations gives better yields; allows for them to make more PS5s.

IIRC Cerny was saying specifically that there were features that they worked on, in fact like he made it sound like a significant key components of it, were going to make it to other platforms, or at least consumer cards. He stressed that they helped make RDNA2. This helped them because they wanted those features but it also helped AMD advance the platform. The question is what those were.
Maybe its features that aren't in RDAN2 but 3? Or they could be features that are more suited to console hardware and not desktop cards? I'm really not an expert with graphics tech lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its features that aren't in RDAN2 but 3? Or they could be features that are more suited to console hardware and not desktop cards? I'm really not an expert with graphics tech lol

Well again, he said they were features that were part of RDNA2 that would end up in discrete cards as well.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
interesting. probably why dev kits came in late.
I had this same thought, late dev kits were all about getting PC/Xbox features to be the same. This is probably also why they completely re-did their development tools. This will probably mean that it is easier to port to/from PC once devs get used to the tools, but in the meantime could take some getting used to.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The thought that Sony isn't using some RDNA 2 features because they have instead replaced them with RDNA 3 features while Xbox uses the 2 features is laughable. Microsoft wouldn't make a statement about being the only console to support all of the RDNA 2 features if this was the case. MS would look like morons when Sony came out and touted the RDNA features.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I wonder if Sony and Microsoft would have defaulted to AMD for its console if they knew DLSS was as much of a game changer as it is? Will be interesting to see what AMD is able to cook up.
They still would have. Intel doesn't have a competitive APU product due to not having any graphics chops at the moment, while Nvidia doesn't have a competitive APU due to the fact that their CPU hardware is high level only for mobile devices. In order to get away from AMD you have to have separate CPU (Intel?) and GPU (Nvidia?) components to be competitive. That makes backwards compatibility difficult, and requires you to completely change your development tools.