• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you have any motion sickness problems with RE Village Maiden demo?

• No problems at all, it felt and controlled fine.

Votes: 255 66.1%
  • It felt ‚off‘ somehow, but I had no problems playing the game.

Votes: 71 18.4%
  • I had mild motion sickness playing the game, but I will adapt.

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • I had strong motion sickness. The game needs to be improved before I can play.

Votes: 33 8.5%

• Total voters

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Hi, playing the demo of RE Village on PS5 , I immediately felt queasy. My friend sitting next to me was also begging me to turn the camera only very slowly. I guess the FOV settings in combination with the high input lag lead to a feeling of being drunk or something, I felt relieved when the demo was over.

It seems this game will be more action packed than RE7, so I am a bit worried that I will be able to complete the game in this state. I hope if enough people complain about it, maybe Capcom will include a FOV slider and improve the right-stick camera. Turning the camera acceleration off helped a little bit, maybe i should check the camera wobble option as well.

Did you have similar problems or did the game feel fine to you?

I am aware that this is only a short tech-demo, but based on previous RE demos, things like this tend to creep into the final game at Capcom (see for example the ugly screen space reflections in RE2make).

Edit: This issue remains in the final game as well, there is no FOV slider and the FOV is very disorienting. People with motion sickness problems might want to hold off buying the game for now.

Last edited:

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I'm sensitive to it and at the beginning of the demo in the underground I felt that it was making me feel not totally comfortable.
Try to go into the options, you should try to totally disable camera acceleration and shake (but I think the culprit is especially the former).
It fixed the issue for me and I could finish the demo a couple of times with no issues.

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
I had a similar issue within the cave system. I think with no player representation (hands/gun or constant ui) spinning around in that dark area with little visual anchor points in it just got a bit too much for me.

Jan 10, 2019
I turned off aim acceleration in settings and it's much better now but still I have strong feeling to stop to play. Definitely not my game. It's something with FOV in it or I dunno.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
in 7 and 8 turn off camera accelleration in the camera settings. for fix the delay

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's likely due to no crosshairs for you to focus on.

As for delay, it's not really that but the acceleration as said. It's there to make things more "weighty".
Regular game will likely feel a bit different

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I saw few minutes of playthrough and was enough to make me feel uneasy. Needless to say if I buy the game, it'll be on PC with max FoV and ultrawide monitor.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
It's likely due to no crosshairs for you to focus on.

As for delay, it's not really that but the acceleration as said. It's there to make things more "weighty".
Regular game will likely feel a bit different

Yeah, I think you might be right! The missing crosshair could be a trigger, I remember having the same problems playing The Witness.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
It didn't feel great, but I didn't get motion sickness. The FOV was a little too tight, and turned up the sensitivity and acceleration off. The inconsistent frame rate at times made it a little uncomfortable to play for me, but it's a demo slice and I'm sure they'll do some optimizing before releasing. Planning on grabbing it on PC regardless.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah with camera wobble off it is much more tolerable. I think I may be able to play the full game this way. Curious that a japanese developer chooses default settings that invoke motion sickness in some people, I thought I heard motion sickness from FPS games is much more common in Japan.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
It didn't feel great, but I didn't get motion sickness. The FOV was a little too tight, and turned up the sensitivity and acceleration off. The inconsistent frame rate at times made it a little uncomfortable to play for me, but it's a demo slice and I'm sure they'll do some optimizing before releasing. Planning on grabbing it on PC regardless.

Haven't played the demo (cause I don't have a PS5 yet lol) but this sounds pretty much exactly why I found it hard playing RE7 on PS4 initially. The FOV was always too punched in for me and everything just felt so sluggish - felt like I could barely see anything half the time, which combined with the camera acceleration made it quite a frustrating experience. Definitely a lot better on PC since you can whack up the FOV - I just hope RE8 actually runs well on my build :p

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah I had this problem with the demo, and never really experience motion sickness in first person games normally.
I think turning off the camera acceleration half way through helped me some, but was still relieved when the demo was over...

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get motion sickness but the game has an incredibly low FoV which can easily contribute to that.

Definitely hope they have a slider when it comes out.

Qiot

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go and lie down for an hour after only a few minutes of playing it.

It's a deal breaker for me since the FP perspective in RE7 meant I could never play it without nausea and I don't want to go through that again.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I started feeling motion sick in the dungeon when I was scanning every nook and cranny, I think the darkness strained my eyes which also gave me a bit of a headache. Didn't feel sick most of the time though.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I was getting motion sick until I turned off the wobble. Once I did that, I felt much better. The problem is that once you start feeling a little motion sick it's tough to shake the feeling. Once I get the full game, I will play with wobble off.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it definitely felt off to me but i didn't feel sick

when panning the camera around tho it felt like the camera was maybe further forward than the pivot point, if that makes sense

like the body was here and the camera was there

📸
🚶‍♂️

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How was RE7 for you?

Because this game and RE7 were a nightmare for me, I wasn't able to play through RE7 because of the change(and how they handled First Person), and I downloaded the Demo of this to try it out and it was no different.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I got nauseous too.

However, turning off camera acceleration fixed the problem entirely.

My recommendation for all, turn camera acceleration off. Didn't have any problem.

Yes, camera acceleration was the biggest problem for me. As soon as I turned it off the problem was gone.
I guess that once a crosshair is there and if they implement the possibility to change the FOV there won't be much issues.
In any case I didn't have much issues with RE7 back then.
Last motion sickness offender for me was The Last of Us 2 and even with all the accessibility options I couldn't find a 100% sweet spot.

I really wish they would go back to third person, as it is I don't think I can play this.

Third person in my long experience with gaming is absolutely not a guarantee to not have motion sickness, it's not even the critical factor.
I absolutely couldn't play Infamous Second Son for example, even Assassin's Creed 3 and recently TLOU2 were major offenders while no problem with tons of first person games including Cyberpunk recently which I played for 70hours with zero issues.
It's a mix of factors, camera speed, camera distance vs the main character, field of view, post processing effects added, the walking/running animations of the main character vs the camera movements following the action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
How was RE7 for you?

Because this game and RE7 were a nightmare for me, I wasn't able to play through RE7 because of the change(and how they handled First Person), and I downloaded the Demo of this to try it out and it was no different.

Honestly I cannot remember... it may have been similarly bad at first, but I played through the whole game. I tried VR but could not handle it at all (and did not want to, honestly). I am hoping for some FOV settings in RE8, were there FOV settings in the PC version of RE7?

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, playing the demo of RE Village on PS5 , I immediately felt queasy. My friend sitting next to me was also begging me to turn the camera only very slowly. I guess the FOV settings in combination with the high input lag lead to a feeling of being drunk or something, I felt relieved when the demo was over.

It seems this game will be more action packed than RE7, so I am a bit worried that I will be able to complete the game in this state. I hope if enough people complain about it, maybe Capcom will include a FOV slider and improve the right-stick camera. Turning the camera acceleration off helped a little bit, maybe i should check the camera wobble option as well.

Did you have similar problems or did the game feel fine to you?

I am aware that this is only a short tech-demo, but based on previous RE demos, things like this tend to creep into the final game at Capcom (see for example the ugly screen space reflections in RE2make).
Yes, it was vomit inducing, turned off wobble and acceleration before playing, tried it today, had to close it a few minutes in. FOV is always responsible for motion sickness for me regardless of the game being first or third person.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The wobble doesn't bother me much. It's more that terrible jump the camera does if you stop moving. I get it moving a bit if you were sprinting and stop, but if you take two steps and stop, the camera rips back and it looks terrible. That actually had me feeling sick.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
A larger FOV requires more GPU grunt and the game does not run flawless as-is, but the next-gen consoles should have more than enough power. A FOV slider should be standard in 2021, let's hope Capcom becomes aware of the issue for some players.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound good. Did people have problems with RE7?
Resident Evil 7 got a lot of things wrong from a comfort point of view.
I'll quote a post of mine from before RE8 was even announced to be a first-person game:
Most of my requests tie together.

1. Support higher FOV settings than 90°​
2. Support wider aspect ratios than 16:9​
re7-fov-o7kb0.jpg
Since FOV is VERT− higher values are required to match the FOV when modded for ultrawide support:​
re7-uw2-y3kod.jpg

3. Don't zoom in the view when aiming. What is the point of a high FOV if you're going to drop it any time you aim?​
re7-ads-fov-gzjpj.jpg
And aiming is required for accuracy:​
re7-ads-required-dejun.jpg
4. Make the camera distortion optional (it is in RE2).
5. Make vignetting optional (it was not optional in RE2 either).​
6. If you're going to support VR, support it on all platforms.​
7. Don't screw up the mouse aiming like you did with RE2.​
That is based on the PC version though, which already had more options than the console versions of RE7, and now has mods to fix a lot of the complaints.

I started feeling motion sick in the dungeon when I was scanning every nook and cranny, I think the darkness strained my eyes which also gave me a bit of a headache. Didn't feel sick most of the time though.
Navigating under-lit environments is definitely a source of migraines and/or motion sickness for me.
It can be especially bad on VA-type LCDs (which is what most TVs use) because they have slow response times and tend to smear the image too.

Third person in my long experience with gaming is absolutely not a guarantee to not have motion sickness, it's not even the critical factor.
I absolutely couldn't play Infamous Second Son for example, even Assassin's Creed 3 and recently TLOU2 were major offenders while no problem with tons of first person games including Cyberpunk recently which I played for 70hours with zero issues.
It's a mix of factors, camera speed, camera distance vs the main character, field of view, post processing effects added, the walking/running animations of the main character vs the camera movements following the action.
Yep. A lot of people here seem to blame perspective, but there are probably more third-person games than first-person games which have made me motion sick.
Certainly, the worst offenders last generation were third-person for me - with Breath of the Wild, and Katamari Damacy Reroll being #1 and #2.
The thing is that most first person games at least have options to increase the comfort, while many third-person games do not.

A larger FOV requires more GPU grunt and the game does not run flawless as-is, but the next-gen consoles should have more than enough power. A FOV slider should be standard in 2021, let's hope Capcom becomes aware of the issue for some players.
It's often more of a problem for the CPU than the GPU.
You could scale the resolution with FOV if necessary to free up more GPU resources, but that doesn't help with the increased CPU usage.

Oct 27, 2017
I almost always get motion sickness playing a first person game so it's hard for me to tell if it's going to affect others the same way.