• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody,

This is the thread on some of the darkest and bleak movies you have seen.
I just finished watching funny games remake and holy shit it's dark. The two main villians are good but one scene in particular is messed up.
there's a long shot of the mother trying to escape and just stays on her for a while just in awe as you see her child's blood all over the walls.
The ending is also bleak, I thought the performances were good but never watching it again. What about the rest of you?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The road

Also most movies about a person being addicted to drugs like Needle park, Sid and nancy, Candy.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
The Hunt. Danish film starring Mads Mikkelsen.

Absolutely heart wrenching to watch, but I love it.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
An Elephant Sitting Still is 4 hours of bleakness, and to top it off there's also the context of the director sadly taking his own life prior to its release. But it is a very moving movie and I highly recommend it even if you're like me and it's very hard to sit still for 4 hours straight.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Leaving Las Vegas recently. It starts so bleak, and things somehow get exponentially worse.

As far as my all-time most depressing movie goes, though, it has to be Threads (BBC film). It's literally NO HOPE, the movie.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Come and See is what I instantly thought of.

I mean, just look at this kid.

5x8QNoj.jpg

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I Know This Much Is True on HBO.
Yes, I know it is not a movie but I watched it as it aired and it is pretty much as melancholy as can be.
In fact it was the first show that I was super happy not to have binge watched it, as I am not sure I could have handled all the sadness of it back to back.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Melancholia. It doesn't get bleaker than that.
Earth is destroyed when it collides with a giant planet that enters our solar system. Worst yet, the main character some how knows that there is not life in any other planet in the universe, so when earth is destroyed is also the end of all life

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
Melancholia. It doesn't get bleaker than that.
Earth is destroyed when it collides with a giant planet that enters our solar system. Worst yet, the main character some how knows that there is not life in any other planet in the universe, so when earth is destroyed is also the end of all life
this. whenever i even THINK about this movie i get some existential dread lmao.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love me some crazily depressed and bleak movies, love watching something and feeling like someone just took a shit on my soul.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
First post nailed it for me. I was emotionally exhausted by the end of that one. Awesome movie that really touched on human nature, but it sure was bleak as shit.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I recently read The Road and maybe I'm misremembering the movies since it has been over a decade since I watched it but the book felt even more bleak.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Martyrs. That movie actually made me feel really miserable and I couldn't stop thinking about it for years.