• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Getting through Fatal Frame was an *ordeal*.

I'd also nominate Chapter 9 on The Evil Within.

...when Ruvik randomly appears and starts walking after you, delivering a one-hit kill if he reaches you. Admittedly it's alleviated somewhat with some of the QOL choices that were introduced which lower the stress after a bit, but when you first do it...

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
P.T, and there isn't even a close second place. I've never been so on edge and anxious as I was playing that game.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Running dungeons and trials in FFXIV. I love the game, but I'm not very good at it, and I constantly feel like I'm letting down 3-7 other people, which means I then stop playing it for months on end and then just get worse at it ;_; it sucks.
This game has one of the nicest community. I'm not sure if it could help, but you don't have to go in dungeons and trials with random strangers. You can ask for help either by bein in a free company or asking directly in the Party Finder.
I don't know if you play on PlayStation or PC. If you play on PC you might want to try to play with a controller, that's what I do and I find it far easier this way :)

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally beating Emerald Weapon in FF7, I was literally hovering above my seat by the end!
Every single boss fight in Sekiro but especially Guardian Ape. The game stressed me out so much I got sick for a week.
I'm not sure I get this post.

So what, the game stressed you out to such a degree, they you were genuinely ill for an entire week afterwards? Those two things are surely entirely unrelated, or you're just a VERY delicate human being.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Having to step up and not only co-lead a WoW raiding guild during vanilla, but also help to lead raids, while tanking as well as doing the various administrative stuff. Wasn't doing it entirely alone, but it sure felt like it at times. After a few months of that, and giving the finger to the special snowflakes that had initially left us in a lurch, thinking we couldn't do anything without them (we were halfway through Blackwing Lair when they left, and finished it three weeks later), I had to disband the guild. The game wasn't fun, and I was spending more time stressing out over doing all of the things I was only doing because no one else had stepped up. Reformed on a different server though with at least a third of that guild as TBC was launching, and I made sure that I would not be put in such a position again, and the next four years were pretty great.

We lucked out though with a random applicant who was going around helping everyone at the time. He turned out to be not only a great tank, but a fantastic raid leader as well.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Yes, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Alien: Isolation are some of my most anxiety inducing experiences in recent memory. Normally I try to avoid games like that but it turned out to be some of my most beloved gaming experiences ever.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
When you play someone in a fighting game then, for the rematch, they switch to your main character.

GildedMango

Feb 6, 2018
Every time I get to Celosia and Cenobia in Shadow of the Colossus, I get a spike of anxiety. Something about how big, fast, and destructive they are really freaks me out and made my initial fights with them hell.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Kid's room in RE7. I was so fucking scared I just instinctively ran out of the place when all the Molded showed up at the end of the sequence.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Last time that gave me some anxiety feeling was years ago trying to complete some very hard climbing maps on Soldat. My hands would shake and get sweaty when nearing the end of map. Thankfully I don't feel like that anymore.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
BSB in Bloodborne almost made my heart explode.

RE7 in VR was pretty fucked.

A six minute OT in Rocket League last night was pretty brutal.

First time I played the original Clock Tower on PS1 fucked me up pretty good.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
This game has one of the nicest community. I'm not sure if it could help, but you don't have to go in dungeons and trials with random strangers. You can ask for help either by bein in a free company or asking directly in the Party Finder.
I don't know if you play on PlayStation or PC. If you play on PC you might want to try to play with a controller, that's what I do and I find it far easier this way :)

I've been playing since beta phase 3, haha. Started on PS3, moved to PS4, then kind of abandoned the game when the friend I was playing along with stopped playing. I started again on PC a couple of years ago with a group from a Discord server I'm on, but they all quickly outpaced me.

Last time I played I was actually trying to move over to controller to see how I fared, but I caused three wipes in the duty I did and kind of lost my nerve D: Without wanting to go into too much detail, I have social anxiety which also extends into online interactions, so it makes things hard.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it :)

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Playing Dota 2 was so stressful that made me quit the game. Watching pro games is much better. Amazing game btw, but the pressure of playing with others and how every mistake makes the game harder for everyone is too much for me.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
latest
This so much. I have to go back to that particular scene for a trophy but haven't yet because of how much that scene unnerved me.

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
To everyone tagging Outer Wilds, could you please be a bit more specific? Maybe light spoilers? Is it a particular passage, overall ambiance?

I am super curious with that game. All the raving reviews makes me wanna try it, but space freaks me out a bit (maybe as much as open oceans), and anxiety stresses me to the point where it affects my physical health lately. I feel like I am missing out on something really special that does not come out often.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
In Blood Borne when you get snatched and thriwn
The entirety of Outer Wilds. This game has multiple anxiety inducing planets to explore.

The first time you found out it was possible to just drift in to the emptiness of space with only your breathing and oxygen running out was quite bone chilling.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm gonna add to the handful of people who commented Outer Wilds. That game stressed me out hard but I couldn't stop playing it.

Heavy Rain, especially the last third of the game where things get really stressful, like in the finger section.

And finally The Evil Within 1. I was scared to death by this game, truly a survival horror experience. I had to pause to drink water and take a walk between every chapter.

Edit:

To everyone tagging Outer Wilds, could you please be a bit more specific? Maybe light spoilers? Is it a particular passage, overall ambiance?

I am super curious with that game. All the raving reviews makes me wanna try it, but space freaks me out a bit (maybe as much as open oceans), and anxiety stresses me to the point where it affects my physical health lately. I feel like I am missing out on something really special that does not come out often.

I literally had my breath taken away. Play it with headphones if possible. The whole game is anxiety inducing. The vast emptiness of space was never so real as it was here. There's something that happen through the game that's really scary too. I highly recommend it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The simulated claustrophobia segments in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy legit triggered an anxiety attack for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beating Emerald Weapon in FF7, I was literally hovering above my seat by the end!

I'm not sure I get this post.

So what, the game stressed you out to such a degree, they you were genuinely ill for an entire week afterwards? Those two things are surely entirely unrelated, or you're just a VERY delicate human being.

Extreme stress weakens your immune system, making you more vulnerable to things that it might otherwise have been able to easily fight off.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019

Posting details about the game would rob you of the experience, though. Those are some of the strongest moments in video games for me personally, even when they're so damn scary. Let's just say that every planet you explore has a different potentially anxiety inducing thing going on. But if you ever want to play this game, try not getting too much information, because some of the stuff is mind-blowing when experienced blind.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Siren blood curse.

Being able to see through the eyes of those crazy ass shibito whilst hiding in some cupboard praying they don't find you.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Extreme stress weakens your immune system, making you more vulnerable to things that it might otherwise have been able to easily fight off.
Fair enough.

Just the notion of "how do you think you got ill" being answered with "I got stressed out playing a video game" is all kinds of ridiculous.

But I guess you make an almost convincing argument.