• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
This looks fun as hell. Also really love this trend of WB movies coming direct to streaming. Probably too much to ask for all studios to do this and for it to continue after the pandemic. Oh well.

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
The fight scenes look like they'll be fun, but I can tell that this isn't going to be anywhere near as good as the original. Ah well, I'll give it a chance regardless.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a birthmark."

"What do you mean?" (it's clearly not)

"He was born with it." (im a sarcastic teenager)

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doesn't the trailer literally show Cole being haunted by what looked like Scorpion? And we don't see Scorpion in the group shots despite him being a good guy seemingly.

I'd bet he's tied to Scorpion somehow.

Bingo. And WB's official plot synopsis says something about Cole being unaware of his hidden lineage and doesn't know why Sub Zero is hunting him down.

I'm guessing he's Scorpion's descendant.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
This is gonna be Reptile, isn't it?

6RuKYD2.png

Why must it be this way? It's bad enough that they're making him look like the jobber dinosaur loser that he's been since MK4, but they just straight-up show how he gets murked by Kano in the trailer? Why can't the original secret fighting game character get some damn respect!? 😢

At least the original MK movie did him right. He was an elite fighter working from the shadows for Shang Tsung, just like how he was portrayed in MK1-3.
Oh Dear Christ..why did I have to see this. :[

Human Reptile would be so easy to do too...ugh.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell if people praising the original are being real or ironic or nostalgic. I tried to watch it a few years back and it was...not exactly painful, but certainly not pleasant.

Is it being a video game movie enough of a low bar that MK is seen fondly? Like even just as a fight movie, its choreography is atrocious. Forget the hundreds of Hong Kong movies from the 90s to compare against; Mortal Kombat came out the same year as Gary Daniels' Rage. Brandon Lee's Rapid Fire was 1992, and Dacascos' Drive was made for a fraction of MK's budget in 1997.

Mortal Kombat's combat was trash for 1995.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like like MC is going to be Johnny Cage and this is the movie he was making based on old legends.

But then we find out the writer was Shang Tsung and he gets invited to the legit tournament for the sequel that will be able to feature many of these same characters and the fights will be REAL!

NETFLIX, call me.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
My guess is the MC will become the next Scorpion and Hiroyuki will force ghost teach him in the sequel or some shit.

Next guess: Movie will be surprisingly fun if the fight scenes are long and well choreographed. If it's a story focused adventure movie with only a few fights that are cut short due to some set piece shit it'll be bad.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Looks shockingly good, and if they can tie this original character back into the main cast, my issue with his existence will be gone.

It's hard to get a handle on how the action'll be shot in and edited in the final film, but the trailer gives me hope. It's got a look for sure, which is something the original movie uh, lacked.

I know people look back on it fondly, and it's entertaining in a shitty mid-90s kind of way, but I honestly don't even think it's the best video game movie ever made never mind any good.

It's an action movie with awful action, even for its time.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I know people look back on it fondly, and it's entertaining in a shitty mid-90s kind of way, but I honestly don't even think it's the best video game movie ever made never mind any good.

It's an action movie with awful action, even for its time.

i watched it again recently, and i think everything holds up except the ugly CGI.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
I loved the costumes, the actors and actresses really look like the characters, and loved the blood.
But the dialogues are really a little cringe lol.
Also that Cole guy is clearly Johnny Cage lol. Looks like him, is close to Sonya like him, even him training is the same fighting style as Cage. I wonder why they choose to make a "new" protagonist? Maybe because they don't want people to get confused with Liu Kang being the actual protagonist of the franchise while Scorpion and Sub Zero are on the boxes? Or maybe they're trying to replicate Resident Evil success?

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
At least they aren't casting unemployed American Gladiators in this one but going to remain skeptical.

For real though, any one else remember that horrible tv show from the late 90s? Had the actress from Bloodrayne and Daniel Bernhardt

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
I love how mad Black Mileena is making people online, as if Mileena could be anything but Black after our Lord and Savior Megan Thee Stallion chose her as her main.
Boomer gamers will be boomers gamers. Screw them, Mileena looks great! The actress is really talented, gorgeous and she really looks like her in the games. Hope they make her black in the next game too(before anyone says the movies have no influence, Liu Kang was to be hairless in MK3(he has short hair in 1 and II), but the actor of the film denied shaving his head, the film was well received, and they implemented long hair Liu Kang in the next game).

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
At least they aren't casting unemployed American Gladiators in this one but going to remain skeptical.

For real though, any one else remember that horrible tv show from the late 90s? Had the actress from Bloodrayne and Daniel Bernhardt

Mortal Kombat Conquest I believe. I actually liked the show haha, had some cool fights.

Jul 10, 2018
People sound like they expecting Shindler's list from this, it's Mortal Kombat for gods sake.

As long as fight scenes are entertaining and story is servicable, than it's already a win.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Looks cheesy as hell, lmao.
The effects looks leagues better than the original 2 movies though.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely convinced Sub-Zero is in America looking for his little brother who was stolen away from the Lin Kuei by one or both of their parents. And that Cole Youbg's rral name is Kuai Liang
Does Sub-Zero call himself Sub-Zero in the games? Somehow that line delivery seemed especially cheesy.
Yes. It's his code name.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The combo that Sub gets on Scorp feels like a straight out X-Ray move from the games (minus the actual X-ray imagery).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Cole is either:

-Johnny Cage
-Kuai Liang
-Satoshi

All theories have arguments in favor.
I mean if he's Scorpion's son/reincarnated or whatever, suddenly you have Scorpion as your secret main protagonist, which I'm sure they'd be happy to have. Then your big final move is the mask-off fire breath or something against a Sub-Zero who has been chasing him all movie.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I can never tell if people praising the original are being real or ironic or nostalgic. I tried to watch it a few years back and it was...not exactly painful, but certainly not pleasant.

Is it being a video game movie enough of a low bar that MK is seen fondly? Like even just as a fight movie, its choreography is atrocious. Forget the hundreds of Hong Kong movies from the 90s to compare against; Mortal Kombat came out the same year as Gary Daniels' Rage. Brandon Lee's Rapid Fire was 1992, and Dacascos' Drive was made for a fraction of MK's budget in 1997.

Mortal Kombat's combat was trash for 1995.
This is not what the movie is remembered for, there is an interview with Robin and Linden(Johnny and Liu Kang's original actors) and they even say that fights were not what made the movie, and it wasn't.

It was the mix of being loyal to the setting, very charismatic characters, soundtrack and all the homage it pay to games, it's never praised as a top level martial arts movie, nor oscar worthy material.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if he's Scorpion's son/reincarnated or whatever, suddenly you have Scorpion as your secret main protagonist, which I'm sure they'd be happy to have. Then your big final move is the mask-off fire breath or something against a Sub-Zero who has been chasing him all movie.
All part of his master plan.
4ur04ul18gw41.jpg

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Concerned sized oof. That trailer for MK 11 will remain the best piece of non game content they have done for the series unless this thing manages to defy expectations.

Looks like they are trying to make MK exist in the real world whereas the first movie just let it happen and it was better for it cause you could have characters poke fun at the absurd premise but not lose anything in the process and still be invested in the plot. No need for long winded expositions that gets more and more ridiculous cause it wants to be gritty and realistic.

Hopefully they can keep the games' lighter tones in this still, they have shown that you can tell an engaging story while having some fun with the characters.

.....or maybe people are itching for MK to get a Nolan style reboot 🤷‍♀️