• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I make $90K a year as a software engineer. I work remote in my home. With $30K in investments.
You've done well for yourself, and I'm sure you're in your 20's or 30's with relatively solid health- use this to your advantage and work on yourself. Try adapting some kind of exercise into your life or weightlifting- it can go to great lengths to improve your mental health, as well as improving your physique. Take some classes to learn a new skill or language. When the world opens up again, you'll have that much more of yourself to work with. You've got money to spare which removes a lot of the barriers from trying these things. You still have so many possibilities and routes to meet new people.

OP
OP
CerealEnthusiast
Oct 27, 2017
You've done well for yourself, and I'm sure you're in your 20's or 30's with relatively solid health- use this to your advantage and work on yourself. Try adapting some kind of exercise into your life or weightlifting- it can go to great lengths to improve your mental health, as well as improving your physique. Take some classes to learn a new skill or language. When the world opens up again, you'll have that much more of yourself to work with. You've got money to spare which removes a lot of the barriers from trying these things. You still have so many possibilities and routes to meet new people.

I'm 25. I run 4 miles everyday already (well almost, I went running 190 days this year, covid stopped me a little bit in march/april), and I weight lift maybe 5 days a week. I've never been in a better shape than right now. I realize I sound like an absolute asshole, I have so many things people want but somehow I am not happy right now. I should probably talk to a therapist.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
I have the opposite feeling right now. Just hit 28 earlier this year and I'm currently making more money then I'd ever thought my ceiling was, and most likely going up another 25% minimum in the next 9 months. I've also never had issues with depression though even when a broke ass.

Pick up a new hobby. I want to learn a new language. Go travel once Covid is less serious even if by yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've never had more money than now, but I've also never felt so alone and depressed.

No girlfriend, no real friends (I'm an immigrant in the US, my "real" OG friends are back home and it's been hard making true American friends).

You can have as much money as you want, if you can't share experiences with anyone (friends or lover) it's worthless. Money buys freedom at most that's it.

money does bring some level of comfort in families though. I want to say finances are the number one thing that couples argue about

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
You mean dating apps? I've tried, no luck. And without flexing or throwing myself flowers at all, I am not ugly or anything, to my own surprise I've had a lot of girls/guys saying I'm hot, and I workout every single day so I'm extremely fit. But I don't know dating apps just don't work.

So you're wealthy and you're hot and you can't find a date? What is the problem exactly? Are you shy?

Unless you have a terrible personality, people probably see you as a very desirable bachelor, you should work on what is wrong on your end.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. The struggle for it(security) has consumed me for decades.

"Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die."

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't like blanket statements like this. It doesn't apply to everyone. Money can equal stability and that can equal happiness.

Sorry your friends aren't in your area.

OP
OP
CerealEnthusiast
Oct 27, 2017
So you're wealthy and you're hot and you can't find a date? What is the problem exactly? Are you shy?

Unless you have a terrible personality, people probably see you as a very desirable bachelor, you should work on what is wrong on your end.

I don't fucking know. I've been obsessed with a girl that don't have time for me (or anyone, she works three jobs and have classes). So I'm being heartbroken by someone I've never really dated (which I know is stupid as hell, but I have a crush).

And I just think I haven't meet many girls. My friend tells me every time he puts me in his Instagram stories he gets a lot of girls (and guys lol) saying I'm hot and so on, so I don't know. I just don't meet the people (also sometimes I'm not interested into the girls).

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having no money is worse than having no GF or being alone from my POV. Being alone can suck but money problems are only second to health problems in terms of how they fuck with my psyche. Having more money would solve a big portion of my problems honestly.

Money creates safety, and safety is required for happiness.

But after you have safety, you understand that happiness isn't a boxed product that can be bought.

And no OP, you don't sound like an asshole. Just somebody realizing there's more to life than just surviving, even surviving well and being healthy.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Money doesn't bring happiness, but bad money problems greatly increase the likelihood of misery.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ok and so in your head you think that if on top of your current issues you also had to worry about food heat and leaks / stuff breaking in your tiny apartment somehow it would not be worse ?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't fucking know. I've been obsessed with a girl that don't have time for me (or anyone, she works three jobs and have classes). So I'm being heartbroken by someone I've never really dated (which I know is stupid as hell, but I have a crush).

And I just think I haven't meet many girls. My friend tells me every time he puts me in his Instagram stories he gets a lot of girls (and guys lol) saying I'm hot and so on, so I don't know. I just don't meet the people (also sometimes I'm not interested into the girls).

Sounds to me like you're just heartbroken for that girl. You're still so young, it might not seem like it now but you will still meet a lot of new people and in the future your feelings for her will be in the past.

Life changes a lot in a a matter of a couple years, there are still lots of experiences for you and youre very very lucky to be in a great position at such a young age. Just enjoy yourself for now and don't worry too much, if you're feeling lonely find some group activities and things will start to happen.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
money does bring some level of comfort in families though. I want to say finances are the number one thing that couples argue about
I can't even imagine how much stress my family of 5 would be under if we weren't financially stable. I'm stressed even being in a good position because of how far it can all tumble down.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wanted to die last year I was so fucking broke, I couldn't go to the gym anymore, I got fat because I didn't have time to go to the grocery and buy good healthy food.

I was drowning in debt and working nonstop trying to keep my head above water and I knew I'd never be able to go to the school I wanted, get the girl I wanted because I was so broke and overweight and depressed. I'd be working from 7am - 11pm doing delivery work and I'd just think about driving off a bridge.

So fuck this talk about money doesn't bring happiness, to me it gives me freedom of choice, freedom to not bust my ass wasting away my life on the grind.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
girlfriend and friends are very unrelated to having or not having money.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno, it's made me plenty happier, but I don't think it precludes you from any of the things you say you're missing in the OP.

Oct 28, 2017

Well I hope for both your sakes it's not true obsession, and just find out something you don't like about her to shatter the illusion lol, it's not that hard.

Let me guess, you're the type that's all work no play? You go to work, maybe school, and then go home and kind of just don't optionally socialize? Yeah so if you're like that naturally which isn't necessarily wrong but can lead to depression you need to put in the work to actually make that happen. Getting a girlfriend and friends takes work and effort; relationships take work getting and even more effort to maintain and if you want it to be something special, well you better be bringing your A-game on or putting in a healthy amount of effort. Nothing worth having is easy, ever you've got to put in the effort!

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I have been in a situation where I had no money, had okay money, and had good money.

I definitely, 1000%, prefer to have good money.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

You're someone making 90k a year with 30k in investments, decent shape, young, and your friend says he gets a lot of comments on IG posts with you in it saying you are hot.

Like, there's something you're super omitting from this scenario.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Naw, in my case , money makes me happy, it's a huge positive when I already have other things that also makes me happy.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It is a tough time to make friends and meet new people. Just work on yourself best you can and keep in touch with the friends and family you do know.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sounds like you really need to live it up a little. Sure you got money and you're fit but yea, if you don't have anyone to share experiences with it's all kinda pointless. So, to that end, maybe make a Tinder, go on some dates and just have fun - don't gotta fall in love with everyone you meet, but it's probably the only way you're going to meet anyone right now all things considered. You can use other apps too, but I find Tinder is the easiest overall. Could also find some groups to join for gaming or whatever else you're into. Where there's a will there's a way!

Jul 30, 2019
Vancouver
I understand where you're coming from OP, I have been in a similar situation as you. I am now 37, and so I'll say in my life experience it has been better to be miserable in comfort than miserable in poverty. That said, from what I gather money was never going to bring you happiness anyway. You're heartbroken over this girl, so of course everything is going to feel like trash for a while. As someone else said, eventually your feelings for her will be in the past and you will have moved on. It sounds like you're doing everything right to keep yourself busy and distracted. Just hang in there and keep at it. This too will pass.

I don't know where you live but consider joining social groups online that do things together in person like hiking or biking groups - when this whole Covid thing is behind us. Until then, hang on. Listen to your favourite music, work out, make money, and keep putting one foot in front of the other until you're on the other side. As others have said, take up a new hobby to round out any waking hours you have where you spend too much timing thinking about this girl. Learn a new language or learn how to cook better, bake, build things, paint, or something else.

Take care of yourself my dude.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Money doesn't make you happy, but not having money will bring you a lot of unhappiness.

Having cash doesn't mean you can't be depressed.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
lmao imagine being in your 20s and financially stable, wish that were me

you should probably see therapy because your problems are likely unrelated to financial comfort level.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Maybe it doesn't. But it sure as hell puts a roof over your head and warm food in your stomach. Something I was always unsure about when younger and to some extent still am sometimes due to past experiences. It's about being grateful for what you've got, not what you haven't got.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having money allows you the material conditions most conducive to achieving happiness.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to get to where you are OP.
Being able to feel like money is not an issue anymore is going to be such a fucking relief.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Money defintely helps in making you not-as-unhappy but I can agree that it isn't relevant in increasing happiness as it has never once made me happy. Very effective at decreasing unhappiness, though.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree with the premise OP. I'm not more lonely or depressed, but I'm not happier that I have significantly more than I used to nowadays. Outside of convinience, it hasn't changed much else regarding my life.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If I had enough money to not worry about working the rest of my life, I'd be really happy tbh. A lot of people are depressed because of their financial situation/debt. Being pulled out of that would definitely ease their depression.

All I can say is to make some friends. Start mingling. I'm sure there are apps to find people with similar interest as you. Read on this site that someone met his friends through some app for board game lovers and they started meeting up to play and turned into best buds. Where there is a will, there is a way.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Has any poor person ever said this? Lmao

edit: people don't appreciate true comfort enough. (Or freedom which is hard for me to believe)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It doesn't guarantee happiness, but it can certainly help. I'm so much happier now than I was the past 2 years where money is a struggle.