• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most respected 3D Artists in the gaming industry passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. He has at the very top of his field and respected by everyone who experienced his work.

We don't often recognize the achievements of those in the trenches of game design. I just wanted to make this thread to pay tribute to his work. Hopefully we can do a better job of recognizing artists prior to events like this.

www.artstation.com

Michael Andrew Nash

Art Direction & Design

Horizon:

mike-andrew-nash-mnash-raptor-12-03-13-keyshot1.jpg

mike-andrew-nash-mnash-scout-02-plates.jpg

mike-andrew-nash-1.jpg

mike-andrew-nash-3.jpg

michael-andrew-nash-mnash-comm-giraffe-07.jpg

Call of Duty:

mike-andrew-nash-mnash-senti-4-12-12-shaded-pose.jpg

Personal:

mike-nash-c-d-cloth-small.jpg

mike-andrew-nash-military-drone-01.jpg

141092007_5549149245111360_6231538718787635018_o.jpg

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Dino design was incredible in Horizon and one of the best overall aspects of the game.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nash.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Oh fuck. Horizon is still one of my favorites of all time. Some insanely incredible work. RIP.

Thank you for the cool dinos :(

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Those dino renders are INSANE

Still crazy to me they were that complex in a mid gen base PS4 game

RIP

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
A sad day. 😔 It is heartbreaking to see someone so talented leaving this world. Rest in peace.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Those H:ZD designs are definitely etched in my brain. Very iconic, brilliant designs. I'll certainly think of him when I get around to a replay later this year. RIP.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Absolutely in awe at his work. I remember playing Horizon back when it first came out and being shocked by what I was seeing. Had just gotten my PS4 Pro and everything looked incredible to me.

Rest In Peace.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Damn. May they Rest In Peace. Thank you for your contributions to the medium. Awful to hear.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What an inspiration, that's devastating. Thank you for making a thread about this.

His work will live forever, RIP master.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HZD was my favorite new IP of last gen, and those Dinos were a huge part of it. RIP. I wish we had another lifetime to see more.

Oct 29, 2017
His futuristic hardware is some of the best I ever saw in any medium. He has a lot of imitators, but I don't think anyone else was as good as coming up with design that looked like they were made of functioning pieces.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
What an amazing character/creature designer. RIP. :(

I hope I get to meet you and so many others who worked in the industry in the afterlife when I commit to this.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I'm just playing through Horizon at the moment and his designs are fantastic. Sad loss for the industry and the art.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, god, that's a devastating thread title to see. He was an extraordinary talent, and it's so amazing how instantly iconic the machine designs are. I can't get my head around the level of intricate detail that must have gone into designing and modelling them. Nash's passing is a terrible loss for the industry. I hope his family, friends, and colleagues take comfort in the fact that his incredible work and legacy will very much continue on.

Oct 29, 2017
Rest In Peace.
I really have grown to appreciate video game art to the point where I make it a point to by art book for my favorites games. Horizon Zero Dawn art was impeccable, we lost a real talent.