• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
They even get an additional convention out of this. It will pair will with their matching set of Quakecon and Minecon.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Yeah Kotick is a disgraceful person.

offtopic:

It's weird to see Jason in some kind of panic, screaming 'anti-trust' all day. I really didn't know he was a fanboy and it takes a little away of my respect for him.

Is he wrong? I don't really play many Activision Blizzard games but they're undoubtedly a huge entity in the gaming sphere. It seems sensible to me that some sort of consideration is given to anti-trust and competitive impact in the market place. It's not quite as big a purchase as MS buying Nintendo or Sony, but it's certainly one to think about.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling and platform wars rhetorics over multiple posts; prior infraction for trolling

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How it started.

Et-1-sxWQAY0cF_

How its going

FJZJFTpXMA05MR8

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what people said about Bethesda games. Microsoft 100% bought Activision to push Sony out of the market.
Precisely. The only way COD is coming back to PS imo is if it is free on GP day and date, then full price on PSN. Otherwise it's sayonara and PS only gamers have to settle for Battlefield and Apex

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Huge news for the industry, foreboding too. I'm pretty glad I just have a PS5 tbh. It would not sit right with me supporting such a dishonorable company like Microsoft. Like they can't even make games without buying companies out. Sony does it the right way whew.
Wonder how many people fell for this.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The era of the "HD twins" that started with the PS3/360 is on its way out for good. Sony is obviously still in a very strong dominant position but they cannot beat MS at the game they're playing forever, Nintendo learned that lesson for good back with the Gamecube. Let's see what Sony's strategy will be going forward, are they gonna triple down on being the place for "prestige games" as their identity in the business or do they have something else cooking?
I see Sony as all in on Prestige Games for brand cohesion. Spider-man is about to be Sony Pictures cash cow, and they have an uncharted movie(?) in production. They are one of the only companies that could really provide the Quantum Break vision of a Game/TV/Film Universe and narrative.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft, you will have a nice list of classic PC IPs like say Quest for Glory now. What say you get a small team together and release some new titles using them. All that first party content you could make will sure make Game Pass look extra nice.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Again, with Xbox at least, you can stream Game Pass to your phone or laptop.

Also to your point - Hasn't the gaming industry mostly always been like that? Every one of the big 3 has their own exclusives. Last year Sony and Nintendo are both lauded critically and commercially for theirs and I didn't hear people complaining that The Last of Us 2 wasn't on Xbox.

I know the point you're trying to make - but I really don't think its going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of the industry. If anything - right now, the people who work for Acti-Blizz are probably relieved that Microsoft has bought them out. Microsoft has quietly built a very open and progressive world wide gaming business where they do actually let developers work on games and idea's they'd want to create. I have read story after story over the last few years about it.
Streaming is nothing like regular gaming and still poses significant technical issues around the world.

Would you support Microsoft buying Activision, Sony Take Two and Nintendo EA or Ubisoft?

We aren't talking about niches or individual studios, we're talking about buying up conglomerates at this point. It's the functional equivalent of Netflix owning Warner Bros or Universal, then continuing to buy up major production companies.

If it continues, it'll be extremely detrimental to the industry.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Huh? Did you read the same tweets as I did? Bizarre response.
That's why I said offtopic.
Is he screaming? He has two tweets early today that mention antitrust concerns and they hardly seem panicked.
It really doesn't make sense to be concerned about 'anti-trust' or monopoly. So far, I only saw the most hardcore fanboys be 'concerned' if 'any of this is legal'.

Yes I was too quick with calling him a fanboy. I always liked his articles and opinion and I got carried away with the weird mono[oly arguments people bringing up, while MS doesn't even own 40% of gaming companies. It feels like 'is it even legal'. So my bad for posting before thinking first.
Schreier tends to dislike big corporate culture in general, which is probably why he doesn't like this much. I don't think he's correct that there will be anti-trust issues here (someone else phrased it well "You don't get into antitrust issues at third place"), but I don't think its because he's a secret Sony fanboy or anything. He's gotten into it with Naughty Dog on more that one occasion as well.
Fair enough. I shouldn't let myself be carried away like that.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Precisely. The only way COD is coming back to PS imo is if it is free on GP day and date, then full price on PSN. Otherwise it's sayonara and PS only gamers have to settle for Battlefield and Apex
Warzone will still be around. Like the Zenimax deal, I would expect live service games to continue on any platform they're already available on.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thew reason to buy activision was the ip, not so much the studios. ms needed ip. the bethasda/actblizz perchases give them that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
People have been saying all of this since 2017. It's been several years and it hasn't come true.

And what does halo Infinite, a free to play game, have to do with gamepass?
Obviously GP price will increase at some point. That's probably years away still.

The end game of buying so many developers is the reduce MS's need to pay outside companies for GP content. That's undeniable and the exact same model Netflix has used.

Micro transactions and DLC are a key part of monitoring GP content, just like it's a key part of monitoring so much of the game's industry right now.

What exactly isn't happening?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I saw a clip on CNN with Phil and Kotic and I'm surprised they're letting Bobby show his face publicly to talk about this.

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Is he wrong? I don't really play many Activision Blizzard games but they're undoubtedly a huge entity in the gaming sphere. It seems sensible to me that some sort of consideration is given to anti-trust and competitive impact in the market place. It's not quite as big a purchase as MS buying Nintendo or Sony, but it's certainly one to think about.
How is it anti-trust? They are not even the biggest, let alone having monopoly issues.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Wow! But what other alternatives could have MS bought with that money? Ubi : ~7bn + EA ~40bn + Square-Enix ~6bn + Capcom 4,5bn + Sega 3,5bn = 61 bn (this would have been a total megaton and seemed better than activision deal)… (even for 80bn)

Don't you think so? At least there is a better longtail franchises…

Status
Not open for further replies.