• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
true, more games the better.
there is a thing called over-saturation.

Not everyone has the same tastes in games and they can't cater to just your particular interests. A varied selection will more likely have at least something to appeal to all gamers.

you can have a varied selection with 100+ instead of 200+ , 300+ or a 1000 because of "variety" sake.
But you can't and will not please "all" gamers. truth

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Playstation Now has over 400 games. No point in making the number of games a focus because it's diminishing returns after 100 or so. It's the quality, diversity and freshness of the lineup that matters.

Jun 22, 2018
you can have a varied selection with 100+ instead of 200+ , 300+ or a 1000 because of "variety" sake.
But you can't and will not please "all" gamers. truth
Ending your comment with the word truth doesn't make it so. lol.

But yes, pleasing "all" gamers is unlikely.

I don't follow what you're trying to say with your first sentence, though. Are you suggesting you'd rather have a smaller selection to choose from? As long as all games meet a minimum quality level, i.e. no mobile phone style shovelware garbage, there's no real downside to having more games to choose from in the game pass service.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not everyone has the same tastes in games and they can't cater to just your particular interests. A varied selection will more likely have at least something to appeal to all gamers.
Game Pass already has a varied selection. Spread the budget over 500 games and you end up with mostly shovelware. Spread it over 200 games and you can keep the quality whilst still providing diversity. It also allows for interesting new games to get noticed rather than lost in the noise.

Just compare December's Game Pass additions to PS Now's December additions and all will become clear.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Just FYI...that number and marketing will become meaningless for XGP once it is established in the industry and MS has more than 100 MS games on it...this is just the marketing that they will use for now to keep people in, longer term it will go back to the exclusives. So...yea...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So according to Jaffe the way for MS to beat Sony next gen is to make their games more 'Alpha/ pro bro gamer' because Sonys games are too 'beta':

This is one of the most stupidest fucking things I've ever heard (and there's a lot of stupid shit coming out of Jaffes mouth atm) partly because of the use of 'alpha/beta' these days is something only dumb fucking alt rights idiots use, but mainly because the idea of Xbox trying to appeal to 'bros' is a horrible idea, try as hard as people like Aaron Greenberg might, Xbox has thankfully been moving away from the bro culture the last couple of years with things like the Adaptive controller and Game Pass.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So according to Jaffe the way for MS to beat Sony next gen is to make their games more 'Alpha/ pro bro gamer' because Sonys games are too 'beta':

This is one of the most stupidest fucking things I've ever heard (and there's a lot of stupid shit coming out of Jaffes mouth atm) partly because of the use of 'alpha/beta' these days is something only dumb fucking alt rights idiots use, but mainly because the idea of Xbox trying to appeal to 'bros' is a horrible idea, try as hard as people like Aaron Greenberg might, Xbox has thankfully been moving away from the bro culture the last couple of years with things like the Adaptive controller and Game Pass.

The entire problem with the Xbox brand was that it was too bro-dude focused. It worked in the US, particularly during the noughties, but time has moved on and it isn't appealing to Europe and Asia cultures.

Microsoft needs to do the exact opposite and broaden their appeal, especially with xCloud on the way.

Jun 22, 2018
Game Pass already has a varied selection. Spread the budget over 500 games and you end up with mostly shovelware. Spread it over 200 games and you can keep the quality whilst still providing diversity. It also allows for interesting new games to get noticed rather than lost in the noise.

Just compare December's Game Pass additions to PS Now's December additions and all will become clear.
While you're right that the better games probably require a bigger portion of the budget, a high quantity of games is more likely to retain subscribers as well as entice new subscribers. Higher subscriber counts mean higher revenue which in turn means a higher budget for good games. If that proves effective, then the best option is to have a wide variety of games, while also targeting high quality games simultaneously.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
User Warned: ablest language

Anyone who uses words like alt-right or bro-gamer sound like beta losers :p

But seriously, dudebro is a retarded term. Gears of War has always been branded like that, but it has a damn good story with memorable characters.

Besides, I don't think that term every really applied to Xbox.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

Would you describe Netflix or Hulu as being filled with garbageware games?

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Anyone who uses words like alt-right or bro-gamer sound like beta losers :p

But seriously, dudebro is a retarded term. Gears of War has always been branded like that, but it has a damn good story with memorable characters.

Besides, I don't think that term every really applied to Xbox.

FYI - using "retarded" in that manner is also not super cool.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

While you're right that the better games probably require a bigger portion of the budget, a high quantity of games is more likely to retain subscribers as well as entice new subscribers. Higher subscriber counts mean higher revenue which in turn means a higher budget for good games. If that proves effective, then the best option is to have a wide variety of games, while also targeting high quality games simultaneously.

both good points, a good middle ground and I think MS will do great subs.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes but 200 games is already wide variety of games, especially given the curation. And every month there are interesting new games added, many of which are now day one launches. That's how you keep people subscribing, by providing compelling new content and not just shoving any old shit on there for the numbers. The Game Pass model absolutely works and they haven't even got their first party in gear yet.

Also I was reminded of this:

fb_img_15461267973853df8s.jpg

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Excellent result for the exclusive and especially for the GamePass.
https://www.trueachievements.com/n35662/top-20-most-played-games-of-2018-part-two
https://www.trueachievements.com/n35663/top-20-most-played-games-of-2018-part-one

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 114,800 Players
2. Forza Horizon 4 - 98,585 Players
3. State of Decay 2 - 96,812 Players
4. Sea of Thieves - 89,687 Players
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - 74,180 Players
6. Far Cry 5 - 72,836 Players
7. Monster Hunter: World - 62,275 Players
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - 59,610 Players
9. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 33,570 Players
10. Fallout 76 - 33,263 Players
11. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 29,433 Players
12. Battlefield V - 28,718 Players
13. Super Mega Baseball 2 - 26,969 Players
14. FIFA 19 - 23,837 Players
15. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - 23,098 Players
16. A Way Out - 21,654 Players
17. Warface - 21, 311 Players
18. ONRUSH - 20,323 Players
19. Burnout Paradise Remastered - 19,717 Players
20. Defiance 2050 - 18,286 Players

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
As a self identified Bro, I resent the use of the term in a deragatory fashion. It insults me and my fraternal tendencies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
https://www.trueachievements.com/n35662/top-20-most-played-games-of-2018-part-two
https://www.trueachievements.com/n35663/top-20-most-played-games-of-2018-part-one

F4 :)

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Probably in the nearest future I'll get finally Xbox One X. But… I still have quite good 1080p television and 4K screen is long way for me. Is there many differences with supersampling/downscaling from 4K by the console to 1080p on tv, like Red Dead Redemption II or Forza Horizon 4?

Nov 8, 2017

I would say it's especially stupid because titles like Gears of War are some of the most absolutely concentrated bro franchises of all time. They're toning that down over time but they're still highly macho affairs. Microsoft has never been hurting for appeal to the dorm room CoD and Fifa crowd.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

I still don't understand how anyone has ever considered Xbox "bro" or "bro focused", they have been edgy and gamerz focused. They have been hardcore gamer focused, they have been mass market focused, they have been family and children focused and they have been media and entertainment focused. But I don't know how they have ever been bro focused, other than hot takes based off making Gears and having COD marketing (even trying to stretch it real hard to Halo.) It's always seemed like a console warrior thing, like indiestation and other crap. Unless mainstream and USA equals bro focused for some stupid reason, MS issues with Europe and Asia fall on them and their issues with marketing and investment.

Also I saw bro-dude/dude bro mentioned, definition "A hypermasculine man, especially one who is misogynist and/or homophobic".... yeah, no.

Last edited:

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I would say it's especially stupid because titles like Gears of War are some of the most absolutely concentrated bro franchises of all time. They're toning that down over time but they're still highly macho affairs. Microsoft has never been hurting for appeal to the dorm room CoD and Fifa crowd.
Gears may market itself as a macho game, but there is tons of heart in those games. Gears 2 & 3 have some of the most emotional moments of last gen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I don't understand these numbers? We know FH4 has had millions of players, so why are these numbers so low?

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Gears may market itself as a macho game, but there is tons of heart in those games. Gears 2 & 3 have some of the most emotional moments of last gen.
Agreed. The biggest Gears fans I know are a trio of women gamers. And that connection grew with the female character. Kate I think? I on the other hand tend to like the typical "dudebro" games in terms of shooters and action. And I really think Gears is boring. Played through them all but I find them meh.

So go figure.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
Yeah I like the way GP add games every month, I look forward to the reveals and it keeps GP in the news cycle.
As opposed to PSnow that just dumped 50 or was it 100 odd on it recently

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love game pass

But now I have so many games, with so little time

How do I do it Era xD I want to try and play too many lol

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Exactly! Maria and Dom's death are some of the best in gaming history. Dudebro my ass.

Also it's silly for people to assume they never tried appealing to other crowds. Last I checked Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Kinect in general, Voodoo Vince, Fable, Ninety-Nine Nights, and Dead Rising aren't the type of games dudebros play. And that's not even mentioning efforts outside of their own games like XBLA.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Did another check on Forza horizon 4 playerbase. Going off leaderboards and achievements it now has 5.8 million players. Seams really good to me, and no free plays yet.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

There are plenty of games to play at 100+ titles. I would take 100 highly regarded games of different genres over 200 'checkmark' games where only 5-10 interest any one person any day. The focus should be on quality instead of trying to have something on there for every single kind of gamer under the Sun. That's kind of the definition of curated. Jack of all trades, master of none sucks.

I don't follow what you're trying to say with your first sentence, though. Are you suggesting you'd rather have a smaller selection to choose from? As long as all games meet a minimum quality level, i.e. no mobile phone style shovelware garbage, there's no real downside to having more games to choose from in the game pass service.

There is a downside. It's call the Netflix Effect, i.e. the Paradox of Choice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

It's what happens when you browse and browse and browse through the movies/games for a long time but don't want to commit and then just give up and do something else. You're more likely to commit when you know or have heard the quality of something is worth your time for the commitment. Yes, I contend less is more. Certainly, they don't need to up their games total. That way lies madness.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Ending your comment with the word truth doesn't make it so. lol.

But yes, pleasing "all" gamers is unlikely.

^ what @UraMallas said basically.

Also did i ever say it would meet a Minimum? You're relating a number of titles to how good it will be. like a car that's fast with horsepower, higher the better.

I'm relating that using strategy with out over-saturation is better than just getting EVERY game ever to satisfy whatever genre you can think of.
And you think someone with a NEW backlog of 100 games is a small selection? HOld the fuk up hahahahaahahhaaaha . k

Jun 22, 2018
^ what @UraMallas said basically.

Also did i ever say it would meet a Minimum? You're relating a number of titles to how good it will be. like a car that's fast with horsepower, higher the better.

I'm relating that using strategy with out over-saturation is better than just getting EVERY game ever to satisfy whatever genre you can think of.
And you think someone with a NEW backlog of 100 games is a small selection? HOld the fuk up hahahahaahahhaaaha . k
Very few people subscribing to game pass would want to play all 100 games and have never played any of them yet. It's absurd to suggest that.

I'm not subscribed to game pass because there are very very few games on there that I want to play, but haven't already done so. So, yeah, I want them to add many more games to it so I actually see value in subscribing.

Jun 22, 2018
Yes but 200 games is already wide variety of games, especially given the curation. And every month there are interesting new games added, many of which are now day one launches. That's how you keep people subscribing, by providing compelling new content and not just shoving any old shit on there for the numbers. The Game Pass model absolutely works and they haven't even got their first party in gear yet.

Also I was reminded of this:

fb_img_15461267973853df8s.jpg
I have over 350 games on my X1 already and I don't venture much outside of the game types and genres I normally play. So yeah, 200 games may not include enough variety.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Very few people subscribing to game pass would want to play all 100 games and have never played any of them yet. It's absurd to suggest that.

I'm not subscribed to game pass because there are very very few games on there that I want to play, but haven't already done so. So, yeah, I want them to add many more games to it so I actually see value in subscribing.

So, not only should they know what games every person likes but also what games hardcore gamers like yourself haven't played yet. What games in the current lineup have you played?

I have over 350 games on my X1 already and I don't venture much outside of the game types and genres I normally play. So yeah, 200 games may not include enough variety.

If you have 350 games on your One, you are not who they are targeting. Well, maybe not entirely true. They are trying to get you to sub for first party games day one and have you spend the rest of your money on third party games not on the service. If you don't like what they offer for first party games, the service isn't for you, given how many games you own.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You're the exception rather than the rule. And new games are added to Game Pass every month, it's not a static set of 200 games. It's like saying that you expect Netflix to have absolutely all forms of entertainment you could ever want. It clearly doesn't which is why we subscribe to it in addition to Sky/cable/etc and not instead of it. It's the same with Game Pass, it doesn't replace the fact that you're still going to buy DMC5, Sekiro or whatever. It compliments it.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
There are plenty of games to play at 100+ titles. I would take 100 highly regarded games of different genres over 200 'checkmark' games where only 5-10 interest any one person any day. The focus should be on quality instead of trying to have something on there for every single kind of gamer under the Sun. That's kind of the definition of curated. Jack of all trades, master of none sucks.

There is a downside. It's call the Netflix Effect, i.e. the Paradox of Choice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

It's what happens when you browse and browse and browse through the movies/games for a long time but don't want to commit and then just give up and do something else. You're more likely to commit when you know or have heard the quality of something is worth your time for the commitment. Yes, I contend less is more. Certainly, they don't need to up their games total. That way lies madness.
If they're going to truly want to have Gamepass on most platforms, as well as reach 2 Billion gamers, they're going to need much more than 200 games.

Yes, they should focus on quality, but they're going to need a large quantity of quality, in all genres to appeal to all types of gamers. Much like with studios, I don't think they should have a quota of "okay, only x amount of titles on GP at any given time".

Besides, quality is very subjective.

Jun 22, 2018
You're the exception rather than the rule. And new games are added to Game Pass every month, it's not a static set of 200 games. It's like saying that you expect Netflix to have absolutely all forms of entertainment you could ever want. It clearly doesn't which is why we subscribe to it in addition to Sky/cable/etc and not instead of it. It's the same with Game Pass, it doesn't replace the fact that you're still going to buy DMC5, Sekiro or whatever. It compliments it.
I didn't say it needs to have every single game ever. The only point I made was that higher quantity will generally improve variety and that better variety is good for the service.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If they're going to truly want to have Gamepass on most platforms, as well as reach 2 Billion gamers, they're going to need much more than 200 games.

Yes, they should focus on quality, but they're going to need a large quantity of quality, in all genres to appeal to all types of gamers. Much like with studios, I don't think they should have a quota of "okay, only x amount of titles on GP at any given time".

Besides, quality is very subjective.

Okay. If they can somehow give us 500 games on the service for $10 a month I'm in. Good luck with that.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
So, not only should they know what games every person likes but also what games hardcore gamers like yourself haven't played yet. What games in the current lineup have you played?

If you have 350 games on your One, you are not who they are targeting. Well, maybe not entirely true. They are trying to get you to sub for first party games day one and have you spend the rest of your money on third party games not on the service. If you don't like what they offer for first party games, the service isn't for you, given how many games you own.

I too have about as many (360 carry-over, every GWG, sales, IP I love) but still do Gamepass to venture into the unknown.

Also I get distracted easily and welcome a random new shiny thing every now and again.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
As of right now, all leak specs, how is the Scarlett/Anaconda w/e looking compared to the PS5 in terms of power?

Status
Not open for further replies.