• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
It seemed like the moment I took off from the runway, the lady told "aand we're Airborne" but the instructions still said to take off from the runway while I I was in the air.

Later it caught up and I had to climb and it dissapeared a moment later instead of sticking and lighting green when I got to it.

Sounds like a bug yeah. Restarting could solve the issue maybe?

I wonder what triggered the bug. The tutorial is made with a predefined setup so there aren't nearly as many random variables as in regular gameplay.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like a bug yeah. Restarting could solve the issue maybe?

I wonder what triggered the bug. The tutorial is made with a predefined setup so there aren't nearly as many random variables as in regular gameplay.

I restarted the mission and the game but it keeps recurring, I got passed the bit to the part where I have to maintain 5500 alt and add trim but it isn't really clear what trim is or does, it just points my nose up and down the same my yolk does, it doesn't lock me at any altitude.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
aeroslash I wanted to ask you since you're familiar with the A320, if you have the speed brake armed does it auto deploy on touchdown or is it when you engage reverse thrust? Or do I have all of that completely off base?

Almost there! There can be various situations (i don't know if they are simulated here though, probably not?)

Basically it depends on if you have the ground spoilers armed or not and on the thrust that you have selected.

If you have them armed and the thrust at idle when your first gear touches the ground they will extend partialy. Once you have both landing gears on the ground, they extend completely.

On the other hand, if you don't have them armed the same will happen but when you select reverse instead of thrust idle.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
I restarted the mission and the game but it keeps recurring, I got passed the bit to the part where I have to maintain 5500 alt and add trim but it isn't really clear what trim is or does, it just points my nose up and down the same my yolk does, it doesn't lock me at any altitude.

Trim is basically like recentering the yoke, so if you plane pitches up with your yoke centered, you would use trim to compensate, so that the plane is leveled when the yoke in centered.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
I have not been lucky with the hurricane.

It seems like it appears (more or less) on the radar, although i think it should be much more than those returns. But when i was trying to get there, just a low level layer with a high level one. Nothing in the middle where there should be big CBs.

dE0NfhA.jpg

6FKmtdT.jpg

TOR2tMx.jpg

VLsIkkG.jpg

Last edited:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost there! There can be various situations (i don't know if they are simulated here though, probably not?)

Basically it depends on if you have the ground spoilers armed or not and on the thrust that you have selected.

If you have them armed and the thrust at idle when your first gear touches the ground they will extend partialy. Once you have both landing gears on the ground, they extend completely.

On the other hand, if you don't have them armed the same will happen but when you select reverse instead of thrust idle.
Thanks for the insight. What a cool system.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apparently it's a non-US thing.. hehe. I'll give it a try later. A quick Google says it's either just plain Right-Alt or Ctrl-Alt on US keyboards depending on the OS and the program.

You can just press the square button on the window of what you want to pop out to another screen too and drag it across.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
This is a useful video about using the autopilot and nav systems in one of the turboprop planes. Note later in the vid he shows you how to find things like ILS frequencies etc within the avionics. So some aircraft do have this ability.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing a disturbing common theme among many of the sim youtubers I am watching for tutorials.

Many of them half-burp way too much while talking. One guy was half-burping like one time for every ten lines. And he was like "Sorry, I just had me tea!" One guy was even drinking something mid-sentence, then would half-burp 3-4 times of the next few sentences, then take another sip.

These guys need to learn how to edit. Or at least not drink things that make you half-burp while recording a video.

Then again I rarely watch any tutorials or gaming related stuff on youtube, so maybe this is just common for everyone

Last edited:

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I've been flying around British Columbia islands, leaving from Victoria. Really nice area. These islands have airstrips that don't come up on the map -- it's fun to fly over the islands and scout out these unofficial landing strips.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I'm noticing a disturbing common theme among many of the sim youtubers I am watching for tutorials.

Many of them half-burp way too much while talking. One guy was half-burping like one time for every ten lines. And he was like "Sorry, I just had me tea!" One guy was even drinking something mid-sentence, then would half-burp 3-4 times of the next few sentences, then take another sip.

These guys need to learn how to edit. Or at least not drink things that make you half-burp while recording a video.

Then again I rarely watch any tutorials or gaming related stuff on youtube, so maybe this is just common for everyone

lol I have never noticed something like that while watching youtubers, maybe I got used to it

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is the GPS that is in some planes that has a touch interface called? Are there any tutorials on how to use these?

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
The taking off tutorial is bugged right? The promps at the top right don't show the right instructions, show up too late and dissapear.

I thought I was doing something wrong when I was Airborne because the instructions vanished and kept restarting.
The training missions don't have the best checkpoint detection unfortunately...

Anyone has a list to share of cool places to fly to?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has a list to share of cool places to fly to?
Here are some of the best I've seen so far:

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany

Bora Bora

Verdon Gorge, France

Some places that seem to have not yet been visited, to my mild surprise:

Tiger Leaping Gorge, China
tiger-leaping-gorge-view-e1441072085329.jpg

Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon, Tibet
Yarlung-Tsangpo-Grand-Canyon-Nyingchi-22-788x396.jpg

Inaccessible Island, South Atlantic
20110318-IMG_3384-taken-by-David-E-Guggenheim.jpg

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to do a flight from the southern coast of New Zealand to a bush airport next to a lake about 120 miles north.

There was cloud cover at like 1,000 feet, so I was flying through these steep canyons with the clouds above me navigating around like I was in the death star trench using VFR charts on my iPad. Except the death star trench looked like the most epic Lord of the Rings scenery with a ceiling of gorgeous clouds that the edges of the canyon would disappear into.

I ended up getting to the lake that the airport was on but it was completely covered in fog from ground level up. I then flew up to 10,000 feet above the cloud cover, found a break in the clouds, and descended into another landscape that looked more amazing than any game I have ever played.

This game delivers on all cylinders

Unfortunately I can't get the game to take screenshots that aren't in HDR. I tried to "Win+ALT+PrntScren" thing mention but that doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I finally just started playing a bit. Runs pretty well on my HTPC at 1080p (GeForce GTX 2060 + i5-9600k + NVMe SSD)

What is the preferred way for people to do sight seeing? Some general questions I have:
  • When I do Active Pause, my speed keeps changing, so when I unpause it causes weird things to happen. Is this a known issue?

• How do people recommend controlling the drone? It works initially, but I'm not sure how to reset its position after I fly somewhere else? I found the hotkey to move the drone to other points of interest but I can't figure out how to just reset it to my plane's location

• Is there a way to get a map overlap which shows streets? Or just the main terrain map you can pop up?

Also - the deadzones on my controller (Xbox One Elite V2) don't seem to be playing nicely with Flight Sim. I keep drifting up / down / left / right. I didn't dig deeply into settings, but is there a way to make dead zones a bit bigger to stop this from happening?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I want to try this sim so bad. My PC specs can handle the game fine (2060 Super + Ryzen 7 2700x + 16 gb ram) but damn my storage is only 500 gb from an SSD and it's mostly filled now :( I need to get a cheap 1tb hardrive at least!

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017

Funniest thing I've read today. 😂😂😂

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Some other fun vids I've seen:

Flying up to Aconcagua, Argentina (highest mountain in the Americas)

An entertaining glitch where the game thinks the elevation of some Alaskan river is higher than the valley it flows through:

Would be cool to see how these look in the game, too:

Mt. Shishaldin, Alaska
D3006124-1DD8-B71B-0B8FB19304956F6A.jpg

Lake Louise, Canada
best_things_to_do_in_banff_moraine_lake-1440x720.jpg

Or Kronotsky Volcano in Kamchatka
Kronotsky_volcano.jpg

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone else want to fly a real plane after playing this game? I certainly do, but it seems like getting a private pilot's license can be expensive.

Alternatively I found that a flight school near me also does Introductory/Discovery flights, where an instructor flies up with you and lets you take control and guides you through basic takeoff, landing, and some simple maneuvers. And they seem a lot more affordable! The flight school near me has it for $100 ($130 - $30 Yelp check in).

Here's a video I found of someone else's intro flight and I'm really thinking about trying it out myself.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I have not been lucky with the hurricane.

It seems like it appears (more or less) on the radar, although i think it should be much more than those returns. But when i was trying to get there, just a low level layer with a high level one. Nothing in the middle where there should be big CBs.

I've noticed some live weather bugs occasionally. If you haven't yet, try to change your weather to a different pre-set, then back to live weather

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else want to fly a real plane after playing this game? I certainly do, but it seems like getting a private pilot's license can be expensive.

Alternatively I found that a flight school near me also does Introductory/Discovery flights, where an instructor flies up with you and lets you take control and guides you through basic takeoff, landing, and some simple maneuvers. And they seem a lot more affordable! The flight school near me has it for $100 ($130 - $30 Yelp check in).

Here's a video I found of someone else's intro flight and I'm really thinking about trying it out myself.

Yes! Just not over the midwest, LOL. It would be amazing to be able to fly over the Alaska Range, or Madagascar, or from the Rwenzori Mountains to the Virunga Volcanoes in East Africa, though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
bush flights are kinda fun. Although I did the first leg mostly in external view as you can't see shit out the front of these little planes. Needs a 'stick your head out the window to look down at the ground' button

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
Yes! Just not over the midwest, LOL. It would be amazing to be able to fly over the Alaska Range, or Madagascar, or from the Rwenzori Mountains to the Virunga Volcanoes in East Africa, though.
Why not over the midwest? Lack of scenery? 😅

I personally just really want to feel what it's like being in control of a plane. This game is great and all but you obviously don't feel any of it.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Why not over the midwest? Lack of scenery? 😅

I personally just really want to feel what it's like being in control of a plane. This game is great and all but you obviously don't feel any of it.
I'm sure flying would be super-fun, I just have a tooooon of pent-up quarantine wanderlust right now, and this game is both feeding it and making it worse.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
bush flights are kinda fun. Although I did the first leg mostly in external view as you can't see shit out the front of these little planes. Needs a 'stick your head out the window to look down at the ground' button

I've mentioned this before:

You should map "cockpit camera" controls. On my Xbox controller I have hold A and use dpadto move the camera left right back and forward, and LB and RB to move it up and down.

This let's you move anywhere in the cockpit, so you can stick your face right against the window glass to look down.

I can't imagine doing bush flights without using this.

It is also just really awesome for checking out the entirety of the cockpits, especially the commercial jets. In some planes you can even move to the back cabin and sit yourself in a passenger seat.

In one of the DLC Cessnas you can open the windows. I wonder if they re did the cockpit camera collision so you can stick your head out. That would be awesome

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned this before:

You should map "cockpit camera" controls. On my Xbox controller I have hold A and use dpadto move the camera left right back and forward, and LB and RB to move it up and down.

This let's you move anywhere in the cockpit, so you can stick your face right against the window glass to look down.

I can't imagine doing bush flights without using this.

It is also just really awesome for checking out the entirety of the cockpits, especially the commercial jets. In some planes you can even move to the back cabin and sit yourself in a passenger seat.

ah translation controls, not look around? Sorry misunderstood before. Don't have a working dpad and I think the shop I ordered the T16000 from is lying about stock (next day delivery paid for last wednesday, still no sign). If it lets me map a shoulder button as a modifier + Right analog stick that might work. I'll try.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
I've noticed some live weather bugs occasionally. If you haven't yet, try to change your weather to a different pre-set, then back to live weather

yeah, i tried that but with no luck.

yes. The cockpit view in this sim is too far ahead. What you should do just at the beginning is zoom out a bit.

fI98clD.jpg

Lovely Santorini by night!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I finally just started playing a bit. Runs pretty well on my HTPC at 1080p (GeForce GTX 2060 + i5-9600k + NVMe SSD)

What is the preferred way for people to do sight seeing? Some general questions I have:
  • When I do Active Pause, my speed keeps changing, so when I unpause it causes weird things to happen. Is this a known issue?

• How do people recommend controlling the drone? It works initially, but I'm not sure how to reset its position after I fly somewhere else? I found the hotkey to move the drone to other points of interest but I can't figure out how to just reset it to my plane's location

• Is there a way to get a map overlap which shows streets? Or just the main terrain map you can pop up?

Also - the deadzones on my controller (Xbox One Elite V2) don't seem to be playing nicely with Flight Sim. I keep drifting up / down / left / right. I didn't dig deeply into settings, but is there a way to make dead zones a bit bigger to stop this from happening?

That's a known thing with active pause. You can still adjust your throttle when paused like that so I've just been increasing it to try and pick up the lost speed. Not sure if there's a more efficient way of handling that.

On the top bar that comes up when you hover over there and in the camera section, there's an option that ties the drone to the plane again in the showcase tab. So you can turn that on and off quickly to get back.

There's no map overview with streets. Just terrain.

In the controller binding menu there's a sensitivity option on the left side which lets you adjust sensitivity and dead zones.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
ah translation controls, not look around? Sorry misunderstood before. Don't have a working dpad and I think the shop I ordered the T16000 from is lying about stock (next day delivery paid for last wednesday, still no sign). If it lets me map a shoulder button as a modifier + Right analog stick that might work. I'll try.

Yeah I'm almost positive you can map to the directions of the analog as well.

Actually I might give that a try because having analog camera translation could be way better than on the dpad

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
When I do Active Pause, my speed keeps changing, so when I unpause it causes weird things to happen. Is this a known issue?
The key word in this function is "Active", not "Pause". Lesson #1: Active Pause is NOT a pause function and does NOT pause the simulation. All it does is freeze the plane in place. Physics is still working on the plane and any changes that occur while the plane is frozen will take effect as soon as you un-freeze it. Do NOT try to use Active Pause to actually take a break from the sim. Just hit ESC and bring up the menus, this is the only real "pause" that the game has. Frankly, their using the word "pause" is a bad descision and has generated more confusion and questions than just about anything else in the sim. It should really be called "Active Freeze" or something.

Aside from taking pictures or changing the weather, I honestly can't think of a single use for this so-called "Active Pause". The tooltips actually tell you to use it to take a break, and that's a BAD IDEA. I've seen several people straight run out of gas because the plane's still burning fuel while they're off taking a shower or eating dinner. The more questions I see about it, the more it just sort of pisses me off.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes. The cockpit view in this sim is too far ahead. What you should do just at the beginning is zoom out a bit.
You can change the default values in the settings, thus you won't have to change it every time you enter a plane or reset the camera.

The key word in this function is "Active", not "Pause". Lesson #1: Active Pause is NOT a pause function and does NOT pause the simulation. All it does is freeze the plane in place. Physics is still working on the plane and any changes that occur while the plane is frozen will take effect as soon as you un-freeze it. Do NOT try to use Active Pause to actually take a break from the sim. Just hit ESC and bring up the menus, this is the only real "pause" that the game has. Frankly, their using the word "pause" is a bad descision and has generated more confusion and questions than just about anything else in the sim. It should really be called "Active Freeze" or something.

Aside from taking pictures or changing the weather, I honestly can't think of a single use for this so-called "Active Pause". The tooltips actually tell you to use it to take a break, and that's a BAD IDEA. I've seen several people straight run out of gas because the plane's still burning fuel while they're off taking a shower or eating dinner. The more questions I see about it, the more it just sort of pisses me off.
There is another way to pause, it's not mapped by default and does not have a "Toggle pause" function, you have to map both Pause and Unpause.
Just search for "Pause" in the keyboard bindings to map them.
This pause will pause the simulation, and you can still use the cameras.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
There was that colloborative world map of sightseeing locations for simmers.. what was that site again?

Jun 30, 2018
Uk
Thrustmaster flight stick is suddenly in stock on Amazon and I pressed buy without even thinking. The rest of my evening is explaining to my extremely patient wife why I need it in my life.