• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
s3O17zq.jpg

LOytgGC.gif

0opyiiS.jpg

hcp3aKa.jpg

(Thank you to the Nintendo website for the recap!)
METROID

The Galactic Federation discovers an unknown lifeform on planet SR388. Researchers name it "Metroid."

While traveling back to Earth with the specimen, the Federation's ship suffers an attack from Space Pirates. They steal the Metroid and take it to planet Zebes—the Space Pirate home world—with plans to weaponize the creature.

After an unsuccessful assault against the Space Pirates, the Federation turns to Samus to penetrate the planet and stop them. Her mission is a success, resulting in the defeat of Kraid, Ridley, Mother Brain, and the destruction of their base.

METROID II / SAMUS RETURNS

Samus is sent by the Galactic Federation to eradicate the dangerous Metroids found on planet SR388. She successfully accomplishes her mission and, unexpectedly, returns with a Metroid hatchling in tow. As Samus is the first creature the hatchling sees, the Metroid imprints onto her, believing her to be its mother.

SUPER METROID

Samus gives the hatchling to Federation scientists, who believe they can harness the Metroid's powers for the betterment of the galaxy.
Space Pirates attack the Federation research station where the young Metroid is held, steal the hatchling, and kill everyone.

Samus tracks them back to planet Zebes, where Space Pirate forces resume their plans to weaponize the Metroid.

When Samus faces certain defeat at the hands of the monstrous Mother Brain, the young Metroid bravely sacrifices itself to save her. Samus then destroys Mother Brain, the Space Pirates, and planet Zebes for good.

METROID FUSION

While assisting a field research team on planet SR388, Samus is brought into contact with an unknown parasitic lifeform—later named "X"—which causes her to lose consciousness. Infected parts of her suit are cut away, and a vaccine using a cell culture from the Metroid hatchling is quickly prepared and administered. The infection ceases instantly.

After waking, Samus learns an explosion has rocked the Biologic Space Laboratories station—where the infected suit parts are being held. The X are loose, one of which is a mimic of Samus at her full power.

Now immune to the X parasite, Samus battles through the B.S.L. station and discovers a Federation-run Metroid breeding program. In the end, Samus crashes the B.S.L. station onto the surface of SR388, eradicating the X and Metroid alike.

y9iuRQV.jpg

gE42zWK.jpg

IGKLdhT.jpg

VX4uqOS.jpg

PTDIZyq.jpg

ngCPHLK.png

NzAmY8C.png

JuOK7su.png

X7ZVJWw.jpg

KES2YEO.jpg

Last edited:

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Lemme try and do this preorder thing again, nintendo was down all day yesterday.

Beautiful OT btw

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this. Really feels like this will be the "Fire Emblem Awakening" moment for Metroid, pushing it up to another level of well deserved success.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
got two limited editions landing this week. looking forward to it!

can't believe it's been 10 years since a brand new metroid game.

Jan 29, 2018
Please be good!

I was going to cancel my Special Edition from Gamestop and just download a copy but I've already got a pending charge on my CC so it's probably too late. Not sure what I'm going to do with some art cards but the steelbook should be nice at least.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
I want to share the fact that Dread is currently the best selling game on Amazon France, above Fifa 22 which came out just last week.
A metroid game managed to rank above a FIFA game, even if it's just for a moment.
Sure FIFA's physical sales are on the declice, but it still is a massive franchise here.
Such sight would have impossible to imagine 4 months ago.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to walk into the smallish electronic store around the corner on Friday and buy this.

Also, "Return of Samus" will always be better than "Samus Returns" :P

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
there is no way this will deliver on my expectations

but I'm happy it's even a thing :)

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to walk into the smallish electronic store around the corner on Friday and buy this.

With regards to the OP, I kinda do not like how the Metroid 2 Remake's subtitle has become the go-to option for some of you. It's "Return of Samus", not "Samus Returns", dammit! Respect the original! >:(

x137032--metroid-ii-return-of-samus.png.pagespeed.ic.p09h8O58dv.webp
Trust me I considered using the original. Just like using Zero Mission instead of the original. However, since MercurySteam made the remake as well as Dread it would be weird to not use that. I have the upmost respect for Metroid II! But MercurySteam should bask in their contributions to the series.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid is getting a chronologically new game in 20 years … the series might once again get the attention it deserves 😭

0acbb3824379b68b81015952a1f3eeb7.jpg

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any hints or tidbits from reviewers or those who have it early about the game? Quality, length, etc?

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Great OT!

My copy won't arrive until next week so I'll be over in the corner replaying Super. Note to self, don't order first party Nintendo games from Best Buy if I want them day 1.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trust me I considered using the original. Just like using Zero Mission instead of the original. However, since MercurySteam made the remake as well as Dread it would be weird to not use that. I have the upmost respect for Metroid II! But MercurySteam should bask in their contributions to the series.
Yeah, haha. After a minute I decided my post was too strongly worded and edited it anyway. ;)

Mercury Steam is doing good things for this franchise.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Amazing OT the 19 year wait has been worth it for my special edition + emmi double pack amiibo

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently marathoning the series and am still stuck on Samus Returns. Didn't know how long the game was, lol.

Hoping to beat Super and Fusion in time for Friday!

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Have there been any hints or tidbits from reviewers or those who have it early about the game? Quality, length, etc?

Not from reviewers because that's embargoed, but I've seen people who have it early saying it's
around 8-10 hours to beat the first time and closer to 15-18 to 100%.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful to finally see a "Dread" release! The talk around it, with the listing and Corruption log file, in the mid-2000s paying off in 2021 is such a wonderful little treat.

www.ign.com

Metroid Dread Nearing Completion - IGN

In 2005, IGN got hold of an official internal Nintendo software list that revealed a number of key DS games set to be announced in the future. All of the games on the list, including titles like Super Princess Peach, were eventually announced and released. All, that is, except for one -- a...

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
As someone who loves the prime games but never played any of the 2D ones, how involved is the story? In Prime it wasn't that important and mostly just gave some context. Don't really have time to play through the rest of the 2D games, but have been dying for Metroid so really tempted to get this to hold me over till prime 4

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Fantastic OT!

I am so hyped. SO HYPED. I didn't even watch any trailers other than the original reveal until a few days ago, because I didn't want to get impatient for the game. This really reminds me of the anticipation for Fusion and Prime back in 2002, which was such a ridiculously long time ago. (I was 19, so I feel pretty old now that I think about it.)

My replay of 1-4 is almost done (although I play those games at least every other year, so this is more of a formality than anything). Thanks to my wife's suggestion, I've taken Friday off of work to get some extra Dread time. I'm on the West coast, so it unlocks for me at 9 PM Thursday, but I'm going to try and get some sleep that night so that I don't feel exhausted on Friday.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
A beautiful OT for this monumental release. Hyped. I hope Dread ends up being a good Metroid game, and the series achieves success in the modern gaming landscape.