• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When the instrumental version of Snake Eater kicks in during the last minutes of The Boss fight.

h5brOzr.jpg

My favorite game of all time. Kojima will never surpass this.

Dec 7, 2018
Probably my favourite game of all times.

When the real main mission opened up it blew my mind, that's one distant memory that will always stay with me.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I know, but the scope of the game, much bigger areas, open, the color palette.... wasn't a good fit, unlike mgs2( smaller areas, easier to spot everything) I dropped the original despite having enjoyed a lot mgs and mgs2 (probably my favourite game ever at that moment).
It was enjoyable, sure, but subsistence really IS the way to experience it without compromises.
Except there are some compromises, The End in particular is a completely different boss fight with the original camera. It's a real lengthy battle of attrition that really feels like a slow methodical sniper battle with plenty of crawling and carefulness. With the third person camera it's pretty much trivial because you can just run around until you just easily see him when they obviously didn't intend for him to be found without effort. In the original fight he'll be shooting at you from off screen and you might not have any clue where from, forcing you to be extremely careful and observant, crawling around and only peeking up for momentary glimpses in first person to scan the environment and try to get an idea of where he is.

I've played subsistence far more at this point, and overall it definitely is the best way to play it overall, but there are certainly some important aspects about the original intended design of the game that is lost when they slap a camera angle in that wasn't considered when designing the game. The End is one of the greatest bosses in gaming and I think a lot of the reason "why" is lost in subsistence entirely, you can still play it 'properly' but there's really no reason to when you always generally have an idea of where he is.

It's kind of like the ocelot fight in Twin Snakes, they threw the MGS2 first person shooting into the game meaning you can just bypass the intended way to play the fight in the ps1 version and just go into first person and shoot ocelot over and over again, in 10 seconds he's dead. Sometimes they just don't account for the way new features will interact with the original intention.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First, I read as mgs 3 is one of the deepest games ever released and I was ready to argue with you OP. But then I saw its actually dopest, and I can't argue about that

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
the original MGO that came with Subsistence was like a fucking drug to me as a kid, no other MGO has been anywhere near as good, which is a shame.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Except there are some compromises, The End in particular is a completely different boss fight with the original camera. It's a real lengthy battle of attrition that really feels like a slow methodical sniper battle with plenty of crawling and carefulness. With the third person camera it's pretty much trivial because you can just run around until you just easily see him when they obviously didn't intend for him to be found without effort. In the original fight he'll be shooting at you from off screen and you might not have any clue where from, forcing you to be extremely careful and observant, crawling around and only peeking up for momentary glimpses in first person to scan the environment and try to get an idea of where he is.

I've played subsistence far more at this point, and overall it definitely is the best way to play it overall, but there are certainly some important aspects about the original intended design of the game that is lost when they slap a camera angle in that wasn't considered when designing the game. The End is one of the greatest bosses in gaming and I think a lot of the reason "why" is lost in subsistence entirely.
This is probably very true, for some sections of the game. But, for me, and as you said subsistence is the best way to play the game as a whole, i could not even reach that boss fight in the original game, because i had already dropped it.

So even if not the best way to enjoy that section, at least i could play it with subsistence.
Believe me, i was very very frustrated with MGS3 because i wanted to play it so badly, but i just could not adapt to the camera (that i had zero issues with when playing mgs2)

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Nowhere close to the groundbreaking legacy of MGS1. Its the classic fandom favorite, but it relied on the great foundation that the Playstation original built.

Foxhound > Cobra Unit
Gray Fox > The Boss
Liquid > Volgin
Solid Snake > Naked Snake
Meryl > Eva
Shadow Moses > Wherever MGS3 happened

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Konami por this shit to newer platforms/PC.

I'm ready to buy it for a third fourth time.
Thank god for BC on Xbox so I can still play it today. Hoping it get's 4k enhanced someday.

Konami should release a 4k/60fps remaster of MGS HD collection that also includes MGS, Twin Snakes, and Peace Walker on modern platforms. I would've said MGS 4, but given how heavily it was developed to the PS3 Cell, I'm not sure Konami is willing to go through the difficulty of porting it to modern platform even though they should.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still up there as one of the best games ever made.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid is a series that deserves the Remake treatment, it would sell incredibly well.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
When the instrumental version of Snake Eater kicks in during the last minutes of The Boss fight.

h5brOzr.jpg

My favorite game of all time. Kojima will never surpass this.

Yeah I've never had chills like that in a game ever. Almost a decade of build up being paid off in that scene. Can't think of any other game that has a legacy of emotion to draw from like MGS

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, really amazing game and easily my favourite MGS. Vividly remember this and Gran Turismo 4 coming out pretty close together. PS2 was so fun.

Also nice use of elucidate OP, I didn't know that word and I'm gonna try use it in the future.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah let's not do that. Part of MGS3's appeal is the perfect level design. And you just can't translate that to an open-world like MGS5.

This is true. MGS2 was a lot more crazy. 4, too. But 3's setting and boss-fights are just so damn great and the jungle-setting is amazing. It felt like mix between Rambo 2 and James Bond. I really can't decide what's my favorite MGS anymore, lol.
But you could.

I remember daydreaming about the game before it released and thinking that's exactly how it would be - an open-world - and feeling slightly disappointed that it wasn't; but falling in love with the game anyways just the same.

At least give a semi-linear/funneled, open-world MGS3 a chance is what I say👍

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
But you could.

I remember daydreaming about the game before it released and thinking that's exactly how it would be - an open-world - and feeling slightly disappointed that it wasn't; but falling in love with the game anyways just the same.

At least give a semi-linear/funneled, open-world MGS3 a chance is what I say👍
I guess what you mean is doing the world in one piece instead of separating it with loading screens? That could work. But an open-world like MGS5 or Assassin's Creed? I don't think so. There is no gain in making the world of MGS3 bigger or more open IMO.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
For real one of the best games ever made. I would love a Fox Engine remake.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One day, somebody will explain to me the supposed depth on The Boss' character. She's just a triple agent, tthat's it.

She wanted to make the world "one again"... but again from when? Before the Cold War? Do you know there were two World Wars, right? Does Kojima know?
Whether her character was good or not, the story and game were awesome.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I hope to finally play it on PS5. Huge fan of MGS1 but never had a PS2 or 3.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game was hilariously deep, surpassing lots of games released at later generations. Its just insane what this PS2 game offered.

The footsteps washing away by the rain, shooting a hornets nest, blowing up food storages to lower enemy morale. Killing a boss by messing with the internal clock? Yeah. The shit you can do here is endless.

The End was a highlight for me, you can tackle it in many different ways.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One day, somebody will explain to me the supposed depth on The Boss' character. She's just a triple agent, tthat's it.

She wanted to make the world "one again"... but again from when? Before the Cold War? Do you know there were two World Wars, right? Does Kojima know?

Kojima over explaining shit = DEPTH

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
It really is. So different from 2 but right up there with it in terms of sheer quality. One of gamings best villains, best endings, soundtracks, locations.

Masterpiece.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The End stinks and is a horrible boss-fight.
The controls are absolutely horrible, and even at the time weren't good enough for a stealth game in a post Splinter Cell world.

It's still the best Metal Gear Solid game and it's not even close.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games of all time. I remember playing this, DMC3 and RE4 back to back in 2005. One of the very few happiest periods of time in my life.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The End stinks and is a horrible boss-fight.
The controls are absolutely horrible, and even at the time weren't good enough for a stealth game in a post Splinter Cell world.

It's still the best Metal Gear Solid game and it's not even close.

Controls have always been an issue with MGS before V. But I kind of take them for granted. Even when I replayed 2HD it took some time to adjust but then I had a blast all over again. I guess its just how it is, mostly everything is tailored towards it. TTS added FP and I still enjoyed the PS version with its limitations more.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Played it for the first time recently. Got the Platinum trophy on the Vita. Trying to shoot the Kerotan frog in the motorcycle chase section on Vita's tiny sticks almost made me go crazy.

But aside from that, yeah truly amazing game. Kojima is a genius.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
As much as I enjoyed the gameplay of Kojima's latest open world games, I do wish he would go back to making linear/wide-linear style games.

Hopefully the rumored horror game will be like that.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
How I badly want a remaster on current gen (I think I can still play these on xbox through BC)
The whole Pachinko machine with MGS 3 still hurts to think about.
I love the game

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a fucking masterpiece and a timeless classic that you can talk about every single aspect of it for hours. I have watched its cutscenes for far more times than I would like to admit :/

From the amazing opening to the fanfuckingtastic ending, it was just peak Kojima. Let's hope he can achieve such greatness again.

Oh and the boss... *salutes*