• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I have a good circle of close friends of both genders. I have a harder time relating and opening to significant others, and often lean on friends as "therapists." Not the best approach, but it has been somewhat helpful.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I have two great friends and a couple of "friends".. and i have no problem at all to discuss emotional content with them. Having said that, we do think in solutions first so we are kinda programmed to deal with out problems ourselves. But we do discuss them.
It helps that we're in a band together and we see each other every week. We have been friends since high-school and now we're old fucks. It's so weird what people do to themselves.

Toxic masculinity is bad for women but incredibly bad for men as well. Please reconsider your cultural values. All of them. Just glance over them to see if they make any sense.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Huh, this is interesting. I have a LOT of friends, and within the Japanese game dev community, we hang out a lot with our friends, and have a pretty close knit group. We're all in our 30's.

That said, I do hear that for a lot of guys in the US, they don't have a lot of friends. I wonder why that is.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
my only question is.........how do these guys able to get a girlfriend in the first place?

kinda bonkers going by what's being described.

How does a guy confess his feelings to a girl and asked for her hand if he's 'too afraid of admitting having any emotion'?

Seems like an oxymoronic situation.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I agree that keeping in touch with your friends is harder to do when you get older and have a wife and kid(s), especially kid(s). It also doesn't help that most careers have you working ridiculous hours which means that the weekend is the only realistic time to catchup. That said, sporting events, concerts and scheduled lunches or happy hours do wonders. Also, MP gaming has become a good way to do this at least for friends who still play.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I'm lucky to have a group of friends who are men that don't hide their feelings. And the gfs hang out with us often.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
32 year old guy here. Had the same core group of friends since middle school and we have no problems being emotionally intimate with each other. Feels like it could be an aspect of having grown up together though. Not sure how I'd fare trying to make new friends at this point.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
35 with wife + kids. My college friends and I still hang out occasionally. Usually get drunk in someone's basement and fall asleep around 10:00 pm.

Also this:

2a265c8f5ab3431069b3e8062ba71bcb.jpg

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have a core group from highschool, and then a group from college that kinda all melded together, we drift in and out sometimes but we're there if someone needs something

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Read the article this morning and have been thinking about it quite a bit. The "emotional gold digging" line especially bugged me. I feel like the writer just reinforces the toxic notion that men are not allowed to have feelings. Like wanting to talk to our life partner about our life is indicative that we need a therapist, and we better not let our wives see us as anything other than stoic, masculine men.
I think I agree. It doesn't help that I don't see a lot of what the article is talking about either.

And if I were to compare my own life, I just can't relate... married with a kid at 32. Wife sees a professional but I don't. We both consider us as best friends as well as a married couple. And we both have groups of friends we hang out with separately. She puts emotional burdens on me all the time, but now if I do, then I'm wrong?

Just kinda weird. And all relationships are different and anyone can be a self serving asshole, while not even having to be American. Reading this thread would have one believe American men have no male friends.

Oct 27, 2017
my only question is.........how do these guys able to get a girlfriend in the first place?

How does a guy confess his feelings to a girl and asked for her hand if he's 'too afraid of admitting having any emotion'?

Well, you open up to that one person, rather than seeking professionals. Thus loading them up with a cross to bear that is sometimes more than what should be expected in a relationship.

Article fits me pretty well.

Been in relationships my whole life. Had 1 or 2 friends in HS, but nothing really since.

Meeting girls/talking to girls wasnt an issue.

Oct 26, 2017
As you get older if you want to maintain male friends as a man, you better be prepared to put in all the legwork and deal with the rejections. In real life, I just can't be bothered anymore.

This is so true for me as well. Basically if I don't initiate then it isn't happening, one long time friend I would call out of the blue every so often to try and set something up and he would always say I was just about to call me to do the same. Got tired of it and basically play online and meet up every so often with work friends now.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I still have friends but I don't live in my home country any more, so it's harder to keep in touch, I also work from home so don't really have any colleagues I talk with day to day.

It is really hard to make friends when you don't work with people, it took me about a year to have some actual friends after moving to another country, it's really hard work especially once you enter your 30s and most people have settled down and already have their own social circle.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird thread, I have 3 male friends who i have known for many years, we can tell each other everything and are always there for each other.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thread, I have 3 male friends who i have known for many years, we can tell each other everything and are always there for each other.
Well, we live in a somewhat more openminded country (compared to a lot of other countries) and still there is an enormous amount of toxic masculinity.
A lot of guys don't speak about anything. But i'm happy to have friends who, while still being part of toxic masculinity to some degree, are very open about everything. I see no reason not to.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I lost like half my already relatively small group of friends over the past 5 years. There is a wide variety of reasons as to why these friendships petered out. I got into a relationship. The girlfriend and I moved to a different city, putting a lot more distance between me and said friends. I work 5 days a week and I'm someone who needs a lot of "me-time" just to recharge, at the same time my girlfriend also demands a lot of attention from me. I simply did not properly maintain a healthy balance between friendships, my relationship and my me-time Then there's multiple friends who got kids and are pretty much in a completely different phase of life. At the moment I have like 1 good friend that I talk to on a daily basis and meet up with once a month and 1 friend whom I see every 2-3 months or so. It's honestly a sad state of affairs. I frequently think of getting back in touch with people that I used to be friends with, but at the same time, these people also didn't put in any effort to maintain the friendship, so is it really worth it?

I also have to note that my girlfriend only has 1 real friend who lives abroad and whom she see like once every 3 months.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
My fiance is my only friend I keep constant contact with, so yeah. I'm a very introverted person when given the choice. Even then I hate to bother her with stuff, so I just don't tell her stuff until I can't hold back the emotions anymore.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Society encourages men to pursue women and sexual relationships.

Society does not encourage men to seek deep, platonic male companionship.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Definitely the case for me. My wife is much more social than I am and goes out with friends way more than I do. I'm totally fine with it and like the alone time.

I have pretty much no individual friends here (moved for work nearly ten years ago) and pretty much just hang out with her alone or with her and mutual friends (some are people we became friends with through me though, I just rarely do anything with them without my wife now). I do have out of state friends from college and grad school I keep in touch with and see a few times a year.

For me it's just by choice as I'm very introverted and with being a professor and teaching, having lots of meetings etc I'm pretty socially wiped nights and weekends and just don't have energy for more friendships than the above.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is a pretty complicated issue. But from what I can tell, a lot of guys have very surface level friendships that lack the element of being vulnerable around anyone that's not a female partner. Women don't struggle with this nearly as much and are much better at putting their eggs in multiple baskets than we are.

Guys are still told to man up by other dudes and that shit helps no one. Everyone is going through something.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
How tf did these dudes who have no friends end up with girlfriends?

For a lot it's that friendships tend to fall off after settling down with someone. I was a lot more social with friends when I was between relationships or in a long distance relationship than when I was living with a girlfriend or now wife.

As in my prior post, I'm very introverted so dealing with people at work, spending time with my wife, doing all the group outings with mutual friends and other couples leaves me little energy or interest in maintaining other friendships. The ones I do care to maintain are not within driving distance so it's just texts, chatting in online games and seeing each other a few times a year.

In terms of the not showing emotions stuff the article talks about, that's not an issue for me. But for those it is, it's really more not showing emotions around other men and most can open up for their romantic partner. Plus there's just the extra drive to out in the time and energy when pursuing a sexual and romantic partner that aren't there for a lot of men when it comes to building and maintaining friendships.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Gave up years ago, was like pulling teeth to get the crew together for anything. Then half would flake or have to cut out early because reasons etc etc.... Eventually gave up even trying. Everyone is busy with their own lives man. Tis life.

Deleted member 47843

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Gave up years ago, was like pulling teeth to get the crew together for anything. Then half would flake or have to cut out early because reasons etc etc.... Eventually gave up even trying. Everyone is busy with their own lives man. Tis life.

While that's part of it, it's still the case that it affects men more than women per the article and my own experiences.

I think it comes down to willingness and ability to make new friends. A lot of people move (and often far) for work, people or their friends start families and get busy while others don't and a host of other things cause friendships to fizzle out or to at least limit them to seeing each other a few times a year.

So having active friends means finding new ones to replace those that fade with people who are in similar life phase and have time to hangout and who still share common interests etc. i.e. If one's best friend starts a family and that person doesn't want/like kids they're often going to need a new best friend as that person isn't going to have nearly as much time for them, won't be going out late every Friday anymore etc. That's how people keep active friend groups more often than people succeeding at keeping the crew together over time. People and their lives change and you're only going to keep an active friend group if you manage to replace those that fall out with new friends who fit your lifestyle/interests.

Women, including my wife, in average seem to be better at doing that. She's made a lot of friends here (she's also been here about a decade) and thus has friends despite losing a lot of the ones from back home after moving, and even losing some here for various reasons overtime. I haven't really for the reasons in my earlier posts.

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I don't have many friends, but the few that remain we are very opposite of the norm. I wouldn't say I was always like this. It took a lot of introspective thought to change my way of thinking. I use to believe the whole crap about men not crying and anything else like that. If it wasn't for my wife in the beginning of our relationship helping me through that I don't know where I would be. These days idgaf if I cry in front of people, during movies, show my emotions and share them. I know that is exactly what the article is about, but at the same time it was different for us. I was her support and she was mine, I became an open book very fast with her.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Read the article this morning and have been thinking about it quite a bit. The "emotional gold digging" line especially bugged me. I feel like the writer just reinforces the toxic notion that men are not allowed to have feelings. Like wanting to talk to our life partner about our life is indicative that we need a therapist, and we better not let our wives see us as anything other than stoic, masculine men.
I think you really missed the point of the article. It's not that men shouldn't let their wives see them as anything other than stoic, masculine men. It's that having a single source of emotional support (which in these men's cases, is their partner) is not healthy for anyone involved. These men should be talking to their life partners about their lives as well as to their friends.

Dec 13, 2017
This seems rather bizarre to me, I'm pretty much the complete opposite of this article. My wife leans on me for emotional support and vents all her frustrations to me, I never really vent to her and vent to a close group of friends instead. I'd say for sure my wife is my best friend, but I've maintained he same friendships for over 20 years already. I'm 28 and have a good group of friends and my male best friend is married and his wife is one of my wife's best friends too. Friendships are all about making time to see each other and maintain communication. I have a million different group chats and talk to my friends every day and hang out with them multiple times a month. I'm sure once the wife and I have kids things will slow down there, but i'm not losing my friends because I had a kid either.

In the end, it's all about what you prioritize and whether you really want to maintain that relationship or not. I've had friends that I've lost communication with, but they also weren't important to me as the friends I prioritize now. I think one of the first things I told my wife when we started dating was that I'd never leave a friend behind for her. and if they needed me she needed to respect how important that friend was to me. I think it's one of the things she admired about me and she quickly became friends with all of my friends.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Word. Got my main bros from HS/College, play weekly DND with some via Skype, try to see others at least once a year and keep group chats going but in terms of hanging out w/ dudes I have one friend who's the husband of my wife's friend and we chill with them maybe once or twice a month but other than that don't have a huge social calendar and I'm cool w/ it. Have work friends too but don't do much outside of work w/ them.

This is almost exactly my life as well. My core friends group consists entirely of my HS friends, whom I also went to same college with. We play games sometimes, weekly/bi-weekly Skype DnD. I have really cool coworkers but we don't do anything outside of work. My fiance and I live in a different city than all of our friends, and being very left on the political spectrum makes it hard to find people who aren't shitty locally. We've tried in the past and people who seem cool at first eventually say some fucked up shit and we just revert back to isolation together.

I consider myself super lucky that my core friend group has stayed so tight over the years, it just sucks that we had to move all over the damn country to find jobs. Now everyone is super established where they are and we'll probably never live in the same area again.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Other people, even girls, don't like hearing about my (a man) emotions.
I'm a very open person, but it's not considered 'socially acceptable' for the most part.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I have a few people i would call friends, and i'm happy with that. I've always had issues with making friends, especially male friends. And i have confidence issues when talking to females.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
What a load of shit.

Guys are like girls. Some are nice, some are not.

I have male friends. This thread is bizarre.

This.

I dont get this idea of being difficult t make friends. I thin its difficult to find people to try and be friends.

When my daughter went to kindergarden, I used the opportunnty to make friends with the other parents, and created a nice group of people to hang out with. Some I like more than others, some couples the women are cooler, some the guys, its just the normal whoever clicks best with your personality, etc.

If I didnt have this "excuse" of the school tho, I dont know where I would find other people to engage and try and make friends.

Oct 30, 2017
I have the same, tight circle of 10 guys I did the last 20+ years. We're all older now, married with kids but we still get together every couple of months together. Typically stuff like bbq's or pool parties etc where kids can come. Some of my friends live across the country now, after moving. But we make it a priority to see each other, we're boys afterall.

One of the core circle friends died last week, very young and suddenly. The boys are flying in from all over the country, I have them staying at my house for the next few days. I've bleed with most of these guys, and been through some shit so we face this kind of shit like a family, maybe better. I can count on my guys, and our friendship spans different political beliefs, religions etc..

My wife on the other hand has 1 real, tight friend after all her years of infighting and drama. Her friend moved to NYC, got married and settled there. She see's her once every year or so, but my wife has actually made my friends her friends so to speak. Over the last few years, wife and I have made more friends with our kids' friend's parents. Easy to hang when your lifestyles overlap, working parents, kids on sports, scouts etc etc..

But my boys are my boys, thats never changed. No new friend is the same as someone you lived your 20s together with. Its hard to develop a tight bond with people if you just shake hands and talk to them. But travel together, live broke, live together, bail each other out of stupid shit, fight, or any number of grey shit will carve you up real good and bond you stronger.

Last edited:

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'm sure time plays a huge factor in it as well.
No one has time, so a lot of the time you can only see one person, and your significant other is generally going to be priority, especially if you live together or are married.

This hits the nail on the head for me. I work all day, go home and cook dinner/eat/spend time with my baby and wife before going to bed and doing it all over again, M-F. Weekends is doing something off-routine with wife/baby, tons of house/yard work/chores/cooking, and IF I have any time leftover, chill out for an hour or two by myself in the late evening. And guess what: all my of my male friends that I used to spend so much time with in college and in my 20s are doing THE SAME THING. Hard to foster "deep platonic intimacy" with your buddies when you get to see them maybe an hour or two for the superbowl or a Christmas party once or twice a year :-P

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Its just as often that the female partner might not have as many friends, in my experience.
Yeah, I understand what the author of the article is saying but women also have the same issues when they don't have friends as well.

That being said, I've found it much easier to confide in my female friends when it comes to emotional things.

All of my male friends have fell off so I'm trying to foster new male friends at the moment. I am lucky in that I have 2 brothers (1 younger and 1 older) and we all regularly confide in each other.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's universally true, but it feels true enough for me. As much as I love my friends and family, they're really bad at recognizing and reacting to my cries for help. My best support comes from my therapist.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There was an article from a couple years back from the Boston Globe about the phenomenon of male loneliness, and it was a really good article that made me think about a lot of the men that I know,e specially older men, and wonder about whether they have friends or not.

There's a strong social pressure on men to lose their friends and not become social. They have people they work with, and they have their family. Women are encouraged to be social outside of their family, but men aren't. Not everybody follows this trend. My dad always had friends when I was a kid, and he does now, though my parents also shared a lot of friends too, but he had the guys he played golf with or watched college basketball with.

My father in law falls into the type though. He's a man's man for the most part, and he loves male companionship but outside of his family, he doesn't have male friends. He's got his son, me, my other brother in law, his brother in law, and then a variety of people who come and go but who are mostly friends of his wife (or spouses of his wife's friends). We do things, like go to sports events or do some activity outside sometimes, and I really like him as a father in law, but he's still my father in law.

I'm fortunate, I have a really large group of male friends (and our significant others), and we have a strong, tight knit group of friends. We hang out with some regularity, play fantasy football together, maybe play videogames together, and then wee also have out socially with our wives/SOs, and I think we have a good balance. But, I'm not the norm.

Here's the article, it's unfortunately locked so use Incognito or w/e to see if you can get around it:

"The biggest thread facing middle aged men isn't smoking or obesity, it's loneliness"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazin...-loneliness/k6saC9FnnHQCUbf5mJ8okL/story.html

The people in the Globe article make a point how this is a health risk for men, and how companionship with friends is a strong indicator of health later in life.

The biggest threat facing middle-age men isn't smoking or obesity. It's loneliness.
As men grow older, they tend to let their friendships lapse. But there's still time to do something about it.

LET'S START WITH THE MOMENT I realized I was already a loser, which was just after I was more or less told that I was destined to become one.
I'd been summoned to an editor's office at the Globe Magazine with the old "We have a story we think you'd be perfect for." This is how editors talk when they're about to con you into doing something you don't want to do.
Here was the pitch: We want you to write about how middle-aged men have no friends.
Excuse me? I have plenty of friends. Are you calling me a loser? You are.

The editor told me there was all sorts of evidence out there about how men, as they age, let their close friendships lapse, and that that fact can cause all sorts of problems and have a terrible impact on their health.

I told the editor I'd think about it. This is how reporters talk when they're trying to get out of something they don't want to do. As I walked back to my desk in the newsroom — a distance of maybe 100 yards — I quickly took stock of my life to try to prove to myself that I was not, in fact, perfect for this story.

First of all, there was my buddy Mark. We went to high school together, and I still talk to him all the time, and we hang out all the . . . Wait, how often do we actually hang out? Maybe four or five times a year?

And then there was my other best friend from high school, Rory, and . . . I genuinely could not remember the last time I'd seen him. Had it already been a year? Entirely possible.

There were all those other good friends who feel as if they're still in my lives because we keep tabs on one another via social media, but as I ran down the list of those I'd consider real, true, lifelong friends, I realized that it had been years since I'd seen many of them, even decades for a few.

By the time I got back to my desk, I realized that I was indeed perfect for this story, not because I was unusual in any way, but because my story is very, very typical. And as I looked into what that means, I realized that in the long term, I was heading down a path that was very, very dangerous.

Vivek Murthy, the surgeon general of the United States, has said many times in recent years that the most prevalent health issue in the country is not cancer or heart disease or obesity. It is isolation.

I TURNED 40 IN MAY. I have a wife and two young boys. I moved to the suburbs a few years ago, where I own a fairly ugly home with white vinyl siding and two aging station wagons with crushed Goldfish crackers serving as floor mats. When I step on a Lego in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom, I try to tell myself that it's cute that I've turned into a sitcom dad.

During the week, much of my waking life revolves around work. Or getting ready for work. Or driving to work. Or driving home from work. Or texting my wife to tell her I'm going to be late getting home from work.

Much of everything else revolves around my kids. I spend a lot of time asking them where their shoes are, and they spend a lot of time asking me when they can have some "dada time." It is the world's cutest phrase, and it makes me feel guilty every time I hear it, because they are asking it in moments when they know I cannot give it to them — when I am distracted by an e-mail on my phone or I'm dealing with the constant, boring logistics of running a home.

We can usually squeeze in an hour of "dada time" before bed — mostly wrestling or reading books — and so the real "dada time" happens on weekends. That's my promise. "I have to go to work, but this weekend," I tell them, "we can have 'dada time.' "

I love "dada time." And I'm pretty good about squeezing in an hour of "me time" each day for exercise, which usually means getting up before dawn to go to the gym or for a run. But when everything adds up, there is no real "friend time" left. Yes, I have friends at work and at the gym, but those are accidents of proximity. I rarely see those people anywhere outside those environments, because when everything adds up, I have left almost no time for friends. I have structured myself into being a loser.

"YOU SHOULD USE THIS story suggestion as a call to do something about it."

That's Dr. Richard S. Schwartz, a Cambridge psychiatrist, and I had reached out to him because he and his wife, Dr. Jacqueline Olds, literally wrote the book on this topic, The Lonely American: Drifting Apart in the Twenty-First Century.

He agreed that my story was very typical. When people with children become overscheduled, they don't shortchange their children, they shortchange their friendships. "And the public health dangers of that are incredibly clear," he says.

Beginning in the 1980s, Schwartz says, study after study started showing that those who were more socially isolated were much more likely to die during a given period than their socially connected neighbors, even after you corrected for age, gender, and lifestyle choices like exercising and eating right. Loneliness has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke and the progression of Alzheimer's. One study found that it can be as much of a long-term risk factor as smoking.

The research doesn't get any rosier from there. In 2015, a huge study out of Brigham Young University, using data from 3.5 million people collected over 35 years, found that those who fall into the categories of loneliness, isolation, or even simply living on their own see their risk of premature death rise 26 to 32 percent.

Now consider that in the United States, nearly a third of people older than 65 live alone; by age 85, that has jumped to about half. Add all of this up, and you can see why the surgeon general is declaring loneliness to be a public health epidemic.

"Since my wife and I have written about loneliness and social isolation, we see a fair number of people for whom this is a big problem," Schwartz continues. But there's a catch. "Often they don't come saying they're lonely. Most people have the experience you had in your editor's office: Admitting you're lonely feels very much like admitting you're a loser. Psychiatry has worked hard to de-stigmatize things like depression, and to a large part it has been successful. People are comfortable saying they're depressed. But they're not comfortable saying they're lonely, because you're the kid sitting alone in the cafeteria."

I'm not that kid. I'm gregarious. I have family around me all the time, or I'm around "friends" at work or elsewhere. I comment on their Facebook posts. They comment on mine. My wife and I also have other couples we like and see often. It's easy to fall into the trap of believing that's good enough — and for many men it is, at least until their spouse gets the friends in the divorce.

I'm hesitant to say I'm lonely, though I'm clearly a textbook case of the silent majority of middle-aged men who won't admit they're starved for friendship, even if all signs point to the contrary. Now that I've been forced to recognize it, the question is what to do about it. Like really do about it. Because the tricks I've been using clearly do not work. I've been on "guy dates" with people I like — maybe I met them through my kids or on an assignment or whatever — but all too often those are one and done. It's not that we don't hit it off. We'll go have that beer, and we'll spend that beer talking about how we're overscheduled and never get to hang with our friends, vaguely making plans to do something again, though we both know it's probably not going to happen — certainly not the grand "Let's hike the Appalachian Trail" ideas that start getting thrown out after the third beer. It's a polite way of kicking the ball down the road, but never into the goal. I like you. You like me. Is that enough? Does that make us friends?

IN FEBRUARY AT A CONFERENCE in Boston, a researcher from Britain's University of Oxford presented study results that most guys understand intuitively: Men need an activity together to make and keep a bond. Women can maintain friendships over the phone. My wife is capable of having long phone talks with her sister in Virginia or her friend Casey (whom she sees in person almost every day), and I kind of look at it with amazement. I hate the phone. My guy friends seem to share my feelings, because our phone conversations seem to naturally last about five minutes before someone says, "All right, I'll catch up with you later." Dudes aren't going to maintain a bromance that way, or even over a once-in-a-blue-moon beer. We need to go through something together. That's why, studies have shown, men tend to make their deepest friends through periods of intense engagement, like school or military service or sports. That's how many of us are comfortable.

When I was talking to Richard Schwartz, the psychiatrist told me something that had me staring off into the distance and nodding my head. Researchers have noticed a trend in photographs taken of people interacting. When female friends are talking to each other, they do it face to face. But guys stand side by side, looking out at the world together.

But in the middle years of life, those side-by-side opportunities to get together are exactly the sort of things that fall off. When you have a gap in your schedule, you feel bad running off with the fellas and leaving your partner alone to look for the shoes. And the guys I'd like to spend time with are all locked in the exact same bind as me. Planning anything takes great initiative, and if you have to take initiative every time you see someone, it's easy to just let it disappear.

That's why Schwartz and others say the best way for men to forge and maintain friendships is through built-in regularity — something that is always on the schedule. This worked well for me over the past year (however unintentionally) with a college buddy named Matt. We signed up to run last April's Boston Marathon together, and even though he lives in Chicago, we were in regular contact about our training, his trip to Boston, etc., and our relationship became stronger than ever, even though our best and deepest conversation occurred during the four-plus hours it took us to get from Hopkinton to Boston, side by side. We repeated the process with the Chicago Marathon in October, this time in less than four hours (thank God for the flat Midwest), but we haven't had much contact since then, because we're no longer going through anything together. I texted him to congratulate him after the Cubs won the World Series. He did the same for me after the Patriots won the Super Bowl. But I can't remember the last time I talked to Matt since. We have no further plans. That would take initiative.

WHENEVER THE POWERBALL or Mega Millions gets over $100 million, I'll buy a ticket. My wife thinks I'm nuts, that I'm just wasting our money. I tell her she's missing the point. I know I'm not going to win, but in that time between when I buy the ticket and the TV news trucks do not show up outside my home, my fantasy brain answers a question for me: What would I really do if I didn't have to do all this other stuff?

For a while, this was an escape fantasy that involved loading my family into an old Volkswagen bus, hitting the road, and setting off to look for America. That ended when I actually managed to save up enough money to buy an old Volkswagen bus, an endeavor that did not lead to a tour of this country's national parks but of its auto repair shops. The bus is gone. And so is the escape fantasy. I'm very happy in my life. If I need someone to confide in, I have my wife. All the pieces are here, except one — the guys. I'd like to think they're also missing me and are just locked into this same prison of commitments. But I don't want to wait until we're all retired and can reconnect on a golf course. It feels silly to wait that long, and thanks to this stupid story, I know it's quite dangerous. So I'm ready to steal a simple concept that doesn't require lottery money.

A few years ago, shortly after I'd moved from the city to Cape Ann on the North Shore, I took a kayaking class run out of a shop in Essex. At some point, the man who owned the place, an older guy named Ozzy, said something in passing about how he couldn't do something because he had "Wednesday night." Slightly confused, I asked him what he was talking about, and he explained an idea to me that was so simple and profound that I resolved one day to steal it . . . when I got older. I think it's time to admit I'm there.

"Wednesday night," Ozzy explained, was a pact he and his buddies had made many years before, a standing order that on Wednesday nights, if they were in town, they would get together and do something, anything.

Everything about the idea seemed quaint and profound — the name that was a lack of a name (such a guy move); the placement in the middle of the week; the fact that they'd continued it for so long. But most of all, it was the acknowledgment from male friends that they needed their male friends, for no other reason than they just did.

I tried to reach Ozzy, but he takes the winters off to go skiing in California and the number I had was disconnected. When I tried to get an e-mail address from a mutual friend, I was told he didn't do e-mail. This guy seems like he has some things figured out. So, Ozzy, I'm stealing Wednesday night.

Obviously, it's not going to work every time, but experts say that even the act of trying to increase your friendships can benefit your health, so consider this the beginning of that. I'm OK with admitting I'm a little lonely. Doesn't make me a loser. Doesn't make you a loser.

Fellas, what are you doing this Wednesday? And the one after that? And the one after that? Consider it a standing invitation. Let's do something together.

I cite this and other pieces anytime I want to get out of the house to go get a beer with my friends... It's for my health, promise!!

IT's really important for me to keep my friendships, and it's something I've done a good job of over the last 10 or 15 years. I've drifted off from roommates in college, but I have this core group of friends who I see pretty regularly... Usually weekly or at least a couple times a month. My wife and our social group is not common though, and other people will remark on it. My sister-in-law comments almost ... negatively about how we have a lot of friends, like it's a bad thing. It's a weird thing she does, but it's also part of her personality. Her husband is steadily losing friends, we're about the same age (35 or so), but the people that come over their house for social occassions, when it's more than family, are his wife's friends and their spouses, but my brother-in-law isn't friends with those guys... they're just spouses of their wives. He doesn't really know any of them from Adam beyond the superficial stuff.

I think there's a strong social pressure on men to not have friends... that it's not acceptable, that you're supposed to work and be with your family. That socializing outside of that is weird or different, and it's "women's stuff." I try to push back on that as much as I can, and I've always been very focused on my friends, they're important to me and I'll go to bat for them... and goddam, I love hanging out with my friends without our spouses. Sure, our spouses are great and all, but if you told me that I could sit at the bar with two or three of my close friends and watch ... ANYTHING on TV, just us, and drink beer, that'd seriously be like the top thing I'd look forward to for weeks.

My wife and I are going to Europe this summer, and I'm really looking forward to it. BUt, in the fall, two male friends of mine and I are going to an away football game for a 4 day weekend. ANd... I'm excited to go to Europe, but I'm really ecstatic about the football trip. The europe trip has anxiety of managing the day to day, going to dinner, we have a baby so figuring out all that, the long travel, the time difference, being with my extended family, etc... there's anxiety with it of having to manage people's moods and activities. But, the friends trip is just 3 of us, we're going to be going to bars and going out to eat and watching football. I can't wait.

On the flipside, though, I don't have many female friends who aren't friends of my wife... and it wouldn't really be socially normal for me to hang out with one of my female friends solo. Like, we might hang out solo but usually by accident... like we're meeting up with a group and happen to be the first ones, or something. I used to have a lot of close female friends, but I'd grow apart from them when I was in serious relationships, and of course, being married, I don't really have any anymore. Outside of some colleagues who I'm also friends with, for the most part, my female friends are largely spouses/SOs or friends of friends. I'd describe them as "my friends," but it's not quite the same.

Meanwhile there's a couple of my guy friends who I am very, very close with; I share things with them that I probably wouldn't share with my wife or anybody else, and they're familiar with some of my insecurities that my wife might know passingly but isn't really familiar with them because that's not my role in the house. Of course, there's things I only share with my wife, as well, but there's 3 or 4 guy friends of mine who I am very, very close with... One who is kind of lapsed because of distance and circumstance, and now sadly when we get together it's much more superficial than it used to be. We used to be incredibly close, lived together, and we'd talk about anything, but now we've both sort of fallen into those roles that society expects us to with each other. It's a really hard pattern to break, thought.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
And as modern relationships continue to put pressure on "the one" to be The Only One(where men cast their wives and girlfriends to play best friend, lover, career advisor, stylist, social secretary, emotional cheerleader, mom—to him, their future kids, or both—and eventually, on-call therapist minus the $200/hour fee), this form of emotional gold digging is not only detrimental to men, it's exhausting an entire generation of women.

Holy shit this rings so true. Once I got married, everyone started messaging/texting me when they wanted to get a hold of my husband, plan an event with him, etc. It was "expected" that because he rarely checked his messages, I would just default to being the social coordinator for us.

Also, yes, I joke with him a lot that sometimes I feel like his mom.

The rest of it though - best friend, lover, career advisor, emotional cheerleader... I mean, in some ways, isn't that what your partner is supposed to be? I'm that to him, and he's that to me. We are actively involved in each other's lives.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it might be hard for some of you to believe this of me, but for the last decade i haven't had a single other friend who wasn't my gf

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The dude in the article in the OP just sounds like a standard selfish asshole. The human race is full of them.

I wish I had more time to spend with friends. But honestly getting older I wish I had more time for everything. More time to workout, more time to play something with my kids, more time to go out to dinner with my wife, etc. There are only so many hours in the day.

I still get together with friends but it is not a regular thing for the most part. Everyone is just busy.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to maintain friendships through geographic distances, getting married, having kids, and all that. I don't think women handle it any better than us men do. I know my wife and I are largely each other's sole confidants. I do get the gist of the article, because both of us feel like it's a burden at points, when the other person has literally no one else. The stuff, with men refusing to deal with their feelings, is definitely a thing too. It makes our friendships sometimes more superficial because we hesitate to open up, even to close friends and partners.

I will say that, a few months ago, my best friend, who I've known 30 years now, reached out to me, and we actually had a bit of a heart-to-heart on some serious emotional stuff that we've each been dealing with. It felt... nice. I'm not used to that. I was raised to be stoic, as was he. I have also been able to talk with my parents and confide in them.

Maintaining a strong emotional support system, and reciprocating that for others, is an important life skill, I think.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article isn't far off, my ex had more friends than people I knew