• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Both sound good to me. Way better then the dumb sames systems have had recently.
But then again when you get down to it, they are all kind of dumb.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Americans had both the worst name substitution for Mega Drive but also the ugliest SNES model too.

The 16bit years were rough on them.

Finding out years later that we had the worst Nintendo design and Sega name years later was shocking. I was baffled wondering who thought these changes were a good idea.

Gato

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

0d3f5304-d2d0-475b-a67b-97af4f179ade_text_hi.gif

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the Genesis sounded worse. MegaDrive is pretty cool in my books, definitely better than anything Nintendo have come up with except maybe the Switch.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The Sega Mega Drive gave me years of my mother referring to it as the Mega Sega Drive which my brother and I thought was hilarious at the time. You can never take that away from me OP!

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I came in here to roast the OP but they really have a point with "Sega Mega". I still like the name Mega Drive better on it's own but...you've given me some things to think about.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Mega Drive > Genesis

SEGA CD > Mega CD

Japanese MD logo > European MD logo > Genesis logo

Everybody wins.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive

Genesis does not fit in unless Sega of america was actively pretending Sega consoles did not exist.

Or Sega of America just felt it was a more sellable name than the Japanese titles.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
It's a drive, like a computer drive

It's mega (mega was and perhaps still is a very popular colloquialism, like awesome)

It's not the genesis of anything

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They're the same number of syllables and 'Sega Mega' Drive rolls off the tongue no harder than 'Sega Geneh' sis. In fact, for me, 'Mega Drive' feels much more pleasant to say.

Plus, 'Mega Drive' had a much better logo than the ugly, chunky 'Genesis', and didn't invoke images of 'lame dad rock' or religion to the 11 year old me.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Mega is good because it rhymes.

You can't beat that.

Certainly not with "Sega Genesis", which was cringy even back then.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mega Drive sounds like a marketing term for a new high capacity HDD.

"Store over a 1,000 hrs of video on the MEGA DRIVE"

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Genesis is alright but Mega Drive is fucking amazing. Only slightly surpassed by Dreamcast.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I lived in two main places. the system was colloquially called "The Megadrive" in the first one, the "Segamega" in the second...
never the combo.
i like Megadrive the best.

I don't like Genesis, because that reminds me of the music band and the Wrath of Khan.

superness or supafami... yeah... super enn eee esss... nah...

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Blast processing makes more sense with the "mega drive" name.

Genesis does what what nintendoesnt sounds better.

I grew up with the Genesis so it is more natural to me but the mega drive sounds way cooler.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just agree that naming your product a different name in a different territory is a bad business decision and should be avoided at all costs?

If you need the feel the have different names in different territories, then the names of the product isn't good enough.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Next week in "Objectively Wrong", OP will be claiming that the US SNES is more attractive that the JP/PAL version. Stay tuned!

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
my spanish mum still calls it the "segamega"

personally i think genesis is a stupid name, especially in non-english languages, and even then it feels over the top american. like a car name or something